View Single Post
Old
07-20-2007, 09:38 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmunch View Post
As Singin said before, star players will be key to getting casual fans into watching games.

Its up to the NHL to get the stars like Crosby, Ovechkin, etc more publicity and get them noticed through marketing, which the NHL quite frankly is a joke at doing.

However, the thing I've noticed about Hockey is that once a person watches a few games, he really tends to start liking it. This year, a friend of mine who had never watched hockey before started to watch the playoffs (he happened to get Versus), and I told him all about the teams, and now he is huge fan and he always asks me for updates (he's an Ottawa fan now, oddly enough).

The problem with the NHL, besides the lackluster marketing effort, is that most people have a negative view about hockey, due to certein writers bashing the NHL since they have nothing better to do, and people who have never watched a hockey game simply agree with the writer and never take hockey seriously
Agreed, and I also have a friend that has recently became a Rangers fan and i'm trying real hard to get him out to a game this year because thats what really clinches it for a new fan whos never been to one.

I guess in some ways its up to the fans to promote the sport as well.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote