View Single Post
Old
07-20-2007, 10:54 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I'm of the opinion that problems suffered by other sports mean nothing to the NHL. I also believe that when the Rangers did well, the idea that it somehow helped the league is completely bogus. All it arguably did was add some fans in the NY area.

Whenever a professional sports franchise wins it all, fandom rises for that sport in that community. Tampa Bay is a great example of this. We in NY greatly overrate the impact that the success of the Rangers has on the visibility and popularity of the sport. Even if there is some impact it is only temporary.
I agree, but I also disagree. I do agree that we as Rangers fans do overrate how big of an impact our team has on the league.
However, I do believe that we do have an impact due to the fact that if the Rangers make it to the finals someone like ESPN is more likely to publicize it than if most other teams make it. Don't forget New York is the biggest market in North America, so if the Rangers are in the finals, an ESPN is more likely to be forced to say something and hype it up a bit than if it's Anaheim and Ottawa. That's where the Rangers impact is.
Whether or not people actually watch it is a completely different story.

Just like I bet you MLS ratings are going to increase at least at the beginning when Beckham starts playing for LA simply because of the hype that ESPN and the major news networks are making.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote