View Single Post
Old
07-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
I tend to agree and disagree

New York City is the biggest market in the world for any sports team.
I think that if hockey did have any chance of jumping back to that fourth spot, and beyond, the Rangers would have alot to do with it.

Think about it. How many casual fans know, who the Atlanta Thrashers, Carolina Hurricanes, or Columbus Blue Jackets are?

How many of those fans know who the Detroit Redwings and New York Rangers are? My guess would be unless they have lived in a cave for the past 20 years, all of them. Thats what its about. They know the Rangers. So when they see the Rangers in the Stanley cup Finals, hey maybe they will tune in to watch the game.

No different then me with any other sport. I will watch hockey no matter who is playing. But Unless its my Yankees or Jets, I could really give a hoot about anything else, unless its another team I recognize. If I see the Milwaulkee Brewers in the World Series Vs the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, are any of us gonna watch? Heck no. But for those of you who are not Yankees fans, if the Yankees are in it, maybe you tune in for a game to watch the Evil empire lose.

Its no different with the Rangers, yes we may over-estimate the importance a bit, however they are still the biggest market in America.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote