View Single Post
Old
07-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Isles4ever11

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Don't mean to "hijack" the thread (Isles fan ), but I'd figure I'd add to the conversation.

I think the whole, "if [insert NY team] is good, it's good for the sport" argument is complete crap. In every sport.

As Sign pointed out, it definitely increases viewership in the area, and not even for the said team's fans. Just for example, I can name a few Islander fans off the top of my head that watched the Rangers/Sabres series rooting for Buffalo - they would never have watched that series if the Rangers weren't there.

I think rivalry has a great effect on viewership and fan interest.

But on the flip side, I went out to San Francisco and had the pleasure of seeing the Giants face Cincy at AT&T Park. Beautiful stadium, btw. Anyway, I started to talk to a few Giant fans, explained that I was from NY etc - and they said that the Mets and Yankees don't have any effect or any interest unless the Giants are directly tied to those teams.

I think that's the same deal for all sports. I think the media overhypes New York, and while that may help the popularity, the fact is - there will be an increase in viewership (in the NYR case) with Ranger fans, and probably the Islander and Devils fans. Not a Dallas Stars fan.

Just my opinion.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote