HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Calls from the other team

Old
07-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Phoenix

vCash: 500
Calls from the other team

Just wondering whether it happens...if one team player has the puck, do the opposing team players ever call for it in the hopes of confusing the puck carrier/getting a pass, is it just considered bad form, or does it simply not work?

Happened to me once ages ago. I was being intercepted and someone called so I passed without looking and unfortunately it was the other team who pretended to be on my team. Oops.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:00 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Happens a lot in lower leagues. People don't pay attention because they're too worried about losing the puck and they don't recognize their own teammates voices = bad stuff. More skilled players usually look before they pass except maybe on occasion in the offensive zone. I personally pull off many no look passes but they almost always land on my teammates sticks, IDK how I do it.

IMO, if the guy on the other team isn't paying enough attention to fall for it, then do it all you want. I always see guys from the other team banging their sticks on the ice hoping for someone to pass to them and unfortunately it happens too often .

Last edited by WhipNash27: 07-16-2007 at 09:14 AM.
WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 11:15 AM
mooseOAK*

One time it really bugged me was when one of the other team's best players did it to one of our worst, and they were beating us by 5 goals. I was forced to express my disapproval with my hockey stick.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Noteman

vCash: 350
Send a message via AIM to Noteman Send a message via Yahoo to Noteman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
One time it really bugged me was when one of the other team's best players did it to one of our worst, and they were beating us by 5 goals. I was forced to express my disapproval with my hockey stick.
I suppose you spent a subsequent 2 minutes in the penalty box so you could reflect upon your life?

Noteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Steelhead16

I do it a lot. Early in the game I listen to the opponents players and listen for nicknames. If you use the names that the other team uses you might pull it off once in a while. Only really works backchecking and yelling for a drop pass though. In front of the play most people are looking.

Steelhead16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 08:57 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I don't understand why you would like to go out of your way and show your 'disapproval' with a twig. A lot of people in a lot of these leagues have to get up early and head to work the next morning. Sure, it was pretty classless to go out and shout out to a guy who probably wasn't the best, BUT.....Maybe if your team didn't have it's collective head shoved up their ***, then it wouldn't have been a 5 goal deficit?

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:37 PM
volaju

Andrew Brunette did this to Wes Walz last season:

Quote:
CALGARY, ALBERTA - Wes Walz finds the humor in it now.
But Saturday night, the veteran Wild center didn't find a thing funny about Andrew Brunette demonstrating to him that friendship is put aside once rival sweaters are slipped on.

Late in the second period of a tie game with Colorado, Walz found himself on a 2-on-1 shorthanded rush with Stephane Veilleux to his right. That was until Walz dropped a pass 20 feet behind to Brunette, the Avalanche winger who spent three seasons with the Wild.

A loud moan from an astonished Xcel Energy Center crowd followed the inexplicable turnover.

"Let's just say I sent Bruno a little text message," Walz, a Calgary native, said before Tuesday's game against his hometown Flames.

'Bruno' got a text message because he slapped his stick on the ice three times and screamed, "Walzie! Walzie!" to prompt the drop pass.

Yes, Walz fell for the ploy big-time.

"Right when I did it, I knew. I was sick to my stomach. I was just sick," Walz said. "I mean, who calls me 'Walzie' on the ice? Most [opponents] would call me 'Wes,' and I would never reply to that. It was 'Walzie!' He got it right. Hey, it's a smart play."

Such deception happens during most odd-man rushes, but Walz said, "Maybe his voice from two, three years ago triggered something in my head because normally if I hear a different voice, I wouldn't have done that. Everything happens in an instant and that played a role."

So, did Brunette reply to Walz's text?

"Yeah. He said, 'Us slow guys have to compensate somehow,' " Walz said, laughing. "I wrote back, 'Yeah, but you might have put me out of the league. Thanks.' "
http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/926487.html

Very funny

volaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 11:04 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
Andrew Brunette did this to Wes Walz last season:

http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/926487.html

Very funny
That's good, even better was in the 2001 ECF when John Madden did the same thing to Mario Lemieux. Lemieux was piiisssssed. I think Madden called him "Ace" or something.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:12 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
I don't understand why you would like to go out of your way and show your 'disapproval' with a twig. A lot of people in a lot of these leagues have to get up early and head to work the next morning. Sure, it was pretty classless to go out and shout out to a guy who probably wasn't the best, BUT.....Maybe if your team didn't have it's collective head shoved up their ***, then it wouldn't have been a 5 goal deficit?
I don't worry about being classless to classless people. So he goes to work with a bruise, I do it all the time.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 03:42 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
That's good, even better was in the 2001 ECF when John Madden did the same thing to Mario Lemieux. Lemieux was piiisssssed. I think Madden called him "Ace" or something.
YES, I remember that...funny stuff. I try it every once in a while. If I'm at the point playing D and see the other D behind the net I'll yell "boards" and sometimes the puck will come right to me...Rarely works in better leagues where players keep their heads up. Worth a shot though

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 05:00 PM
lotus

I've done it two or three times if the opponent is on a breakaway and I'm close, but just too far to do anything. Never really worked but I figure I may eventually find someone generous and fool them ^.^

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:55 PM
LePalle

Send a message via AIM to LePalle
I like to do it when the other team is playing desperate down by a goal...if it works itll put them on tilt.

If youre smart it wont work on you because you should know where your teammates are, and the D would have to take themselves out of position to have a chance at pulling it off.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:26 AM
hockeystud938

ive been playing for about 6 almost 7 years and never had this happen to me shouldn't really be a problem if your head is up

hockeystud938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:52 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

i do it when i play pick up with my friends

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:26 PM
jiggs 10

It's totally classless to do this...so of course it happens every game!

I play with a certain player who skates around the entire game yelling "Hey, hey!' and "Back!" on every play! After the first time anyone skates with him, it stops working, but he keeps on trying!

It happens to everyone at some point. You just have do it once, and learn from it! For one thing, you should recognize your teammate's voices and know it isn't on of them. And if you have a nickname, tell your team NOT to yell that to you if possible, so the other team doesn't figure it out. But mostly it's just putting your head up before you pass, and knowing where your teammates are. It really only works on drop passes high in the zone, so don't do it there!

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:06 PM
ThatOneGuy*

I hate when my teamates say anything actually. I prefer when they just get into position and keep their sticks on the ice/tile. Nothing drives me more crazy then when they call for a pass the second I get the puck or when they're completely covered. Or when im behind the net and I send it to the point but they completely miss the puck because they're too busy yelling for the puck instead of following the play.

ThatOneGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:27 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Just wondering whether it happens...if one team player has the puck, do the opposing team players ever call for it in the hopes of confusing the puck carrier/getting a pass, is it just considered bad form, or does it simply not work?

Happened to me once ages ago. I was being intercepted and someone called so I passed without looking and unfortunately it was the other team who pretended to be on my team. Oops.
heh, i did this like 2 days ago

Rickety Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Phoenix

bugger, just happened to me again....thought I'd never make that mistake again, but a guy i usually skate with called for it and duh! I forgot! Grrrrrrrrr.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 09:49 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
The only time I've ever used it is when I got traded to one of our biggest rivals. We played my ex-team immediately, so I used it because I was so freakin bitter.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
bugger, just happened to me again....thought I'd never make that mistake again, but a guy i usually skate with called for it and duh! I forgot! Grrrrrrrrr.
Did he read this thread?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Wooty

That is one of the few things I consider lame.

Wooty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 10:47 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I'll only respond if someone uses my name or a nickname. If someone hollers "drop" or whatever the puck isn't going to them unless I'm sure it is one of my teammates.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 10:52 PM
McNasty

See usually I know where my teamates are, I try not to make drop passes anyway unless I'm weaving in which case I see my teamate so it isn't a blind drop pass.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote