HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Will Vrbata ever be a big scorer

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2004, 05:12 PM
The Nhl's Conscience

vCash: 500
Will Vrbata ever be a big scorer

My question to any Canes fan out there is simply this,I see that Radim Vrbata has only 9 goals this year and I wonder,why?? I see the potential in the kid but it astounds me that this kid only has 9 goals at this point in this season......I know most of the Canes have been snakebitten in the goal scoring department but this is ridiculous......Are the things that they say about Vrbata true?? Nice shot but won't go into the high traffic areas?? You guys see him much more on a consistent basis then I do......Do you think he'll be pretty much a disappointment or could it be that he may have been a little overrated??

Old
03-06-2004, 06:51 PM
npinguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nhl's Conscience
My question to any Canes fan out there is simply this,I see that Radim Vrbata has only 9 goals this year and I wonder,why?? I see the potential in the kid but it astounds me that this kid only has 9 goals at this point in this season......I know most of the Canes have been snakebitten in the goal scoring department but this is ridiculous......Are the things that they say about Vrbata true?? Nice shot but won't go into the high traffic areas?? You guys see him much more on a consistent basis then I do......Do you think he'll be pretty much a disappointment or could it be that he may have been a little overrated??
judging by his production LAST year i think he's just hit by a case of the good ol' sophomore jinx

Old
03-06-2004, 07:15 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I hope. I wouldn't say he's soft, but he's not showing me he's not either. The guy was shooting the puck like a mad man early on this season. When he was getting alot of shots and the team was doing the same, no one was scoring. Ever since the Canes started to look like losers, he's been the biggest one. To me, he seems mentally fragile. He hasn't proven to Laviolette anything it seems.

Old
03-06-2004, 07:46 PM
bleedgreen

he refuses to go into traffic or drive to the net.....without doing those things all the skills in the world wont help him be better than a 10 goal scorer. maybe in off season in the gym would help - he looks like someone who gets sand kicked in his face at the beach. i havent lost all faith in him, you never know what a year can change (see vasicek).

Old
03-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Skydog

He is has also been stuck on the 4th line for awhile now, he could be in Laviolette's doghouse. Either way his play hasn't warranted a spot on a line any higher than third.

Last edited by Skydog: 03-07-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old
03-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
judging by his production LAST year i think he's just hit by a case of the good ol' sophomore jinx
Vrbata scored 18 goals in 50 or so games his rookie season in Colorado. He scored 16 in a split season between Colorado/Carolina last season. This is his third year in the league. Sophmore jinx would have hit him last year.

Radim has just had problems with his confidence since the start of the season when he hit so many posts to start the year off. For a long time, O'Neill and Vrbata had 1 or 2 goals on 3 or 4 shots a game for the first 25 games of the season or so. After Lavy arrived, he simply hasn't gotten the icetime or earned it. It will be interesting to see if Vrbata has a place on this team next season. I honestly think that once he gets a little confidence back he'll be fine. That wrister is just too nasty to not produce on this level. In his 9 goals, i'll say 5 of them have been of the highlight variety. Once he establishes himself as far as going to the net is concerned he'll start getting those garbage goals. I'm still really high on the kid and I think he'll get it together. He just has to want it more, and he's a good kid who I think will realize that.

Old
03-08-2004, 09:05 AM
Les Ouragans

Playing on a team that can't score isnt helping either. If you look at performance of players that come here in the last two years with the scoring mentality, they hit wall when they're here. It's contagious. I really worry that we don't know what to do with players of Vrbata's ability. He's part of that transition we were supposed to be making to a more wide open game - but we can't pull it off and so guys like this suffer. I admit Vrbata hasn't shown much, but I'm not sure we're making it easy for him.

he needs to be on a WC team where he can experiment and take chances without it potentially costing a game-winner on the other end.

Old
03-08-2004, 09:08 AM
jeffbear

I juts haven't seen the desire to score from Vrbata this year. He's not exactly soft, but he has seemed unwilling to work in high traffic areas all season ... after being VERY impressive in his time with the Canes in 2002-03.

I'm not sure what you can make of this long term ... but I really don't think that Vrbata is a good fit with Laviolette, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him moved at some point before next season ... maybe at the draft.

Closed Thread