HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Last Nights Game

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2004, 10:14 AM
  #1
Steve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Can
Posts: 1,914
vCash: 500
Last Nights Game

To the Sens and their fans, that game last night in a hockey sense was pretty stupid, however, from a fans/team sense it was great and incredibly entertaining.
The only thing I didn't like was seeing Neil punching whoever that was, when the fight was over, and the Flyer was on the ice on his back. There was another sen that did that before Markov grabbed him from behind too, those were a little dirty but....whatever.

As a leaf fan, I can tell you that although it was entertaining it was also a message showing that the Sens aren't really willing to just sit back and be beaten down. There is no doubt that the Sens have more pure talent than the Leafs and there is no doubt that the Leafs are a much tougher and grittier team that the sens. Last night, however, was a good team toughness showing for the sens. We now know that they are not going to be easily walked over.

Well done

Steve is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:58 PM
  #2
coachbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ONTARIO
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Led by the captain's charge.

coachbob is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 02:50 PM
  #3
sensens
Registered User
 
sensens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
The only thing I didn't like was seeing Neil punching whoever that was, when the fight was over, and the Flyer was on the ice on his back. There was another sen that did that before Markov grabbed him from behind too, those were a little dirty but....whatever.
I agree and certainly don't like to see classlessness, however there was context to both incidents. Somik, while hailed by Hitchcock as some kind of virtuous pacifist, was the guy who slashed Havlat hard earlier in the game, and Simpson was going after a guy who was essentially third man in on another scrum.

Brashear excercised his usually classiness by starting to throw punches with his glove still on and his opponent not facing him, and them obviously saying and doing some pretty unsavory things as he went off the ice. Brian Pothier is hardly a goon, but clearly went after him.

A terrible game in many ways, but a good gut check for this group. This sort of things has typically rallied this team quite noticeably... it will be interesting to see if this is the case.


Last edited by sensens: 03-06-2004 at 02:55 PM.
sensens is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:06 PM
  #4
Sting
Registered User
 
Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,265
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
I kind of found it humorous how Flyer's fans went crazy over Chara/Neil nailing some non-fighters..and yet Brashear goes after Pothier. Not only that...Ray is still getting used to the NHL and he hasn't had a fight with a heavyweight for a while. Brashear continually denied Neil's fights...so they got what they deserved.

Sting is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:16 PM
  #5
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
I kind of found it humorous how Flyer's fans went crazy over Chara/Neil nailing some non-fighters..and yet Brashear goes after Pothier. Not only that...Ray is still getting used to the NHL and he hasn't had a fight with a heavyweight for a while. Brashear continually denied Neil's fights...so they got what they deserved.
Don't want to get into a big arguement, but saying Brashear went after Pothier is a conjecture. The Sens say he did, the Flyer say he didn't. YOu don't get to see on TV. According to people who were at teh game, Pothier got into Brashear's face and pushed him, so Brash gave him a gloved shot, then was jumped by Pothier and Simpson.

However, even if Brash had just randomly taken a shot at Pothier, that is hardly what Neil did to Somik. I had no problem with anything the Sens did in that game, except for Neil going after Somik like that.

paxtang is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:22 PM
  #6
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,958
vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
To the Sens and their fans, that game last night in a hockey sense was pretty stupid, however, from a fans/team sense it was great and incredibly entertaining.
The only thing I didn't like was seeing Neil punching whoever that was, when the fight was over, and the Flyer was on the ice on his back. There was another sen that did that before Markov grabbed him from behind too, those were a little dirty but....whatever.

As a leaf fan, I can tell you that although it was entertaining it was also a message showing that the Sens aren't really willing to just sit back and be beaten down. There is no doubt that the Sens have more pure talent than the Leafs and there is no doubt that the Leafs are a much tougher and grittier team that the sens. Last night, however, was a good team toughness showing for the sens. We now know that they are not going to be easily walked over.

Well done
Yet Philly won the game quite easily. Sure the Sens fought back but IMO the Flyers walked all over the Sens.

Tuggy is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:34 PM
  #7
sensens
Registered User
 
sensens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
However, even if Brash had just randomly taken a shot at Pothier, that is hardly what Neil did to Somik. I had no problem with anything the Sens did in that game, except for Neil going after Somik like that.
True, and this is not really meant to justify anything, but again there is certain context there. Not only was it a response to Brashear's punch on Pothier after a fairly classless tilt with Ray, but also a response to Somik, who had two-handed Havlat earlier in the game. If it was 'just some guy' then the argument would hold a bit more water than when it's a guy who's done something pretty questionable earlier in the game. Not to mention that the Flyers were up 5-2 at this point. You go up like that in a game, and then start pulling questionable things? You're going to get a reaction, and you probably won't like the form it takes. That's what happened last night.

All that being siad, though, I agree with you... I don't like to see classlessness in the game. But sometimes you have to respond to classlessness with classlessness. Given the circumstances of the game, it was the best gut check I've seen from this group in a while.

sensens is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:38 PM
  #8
swflyers8*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upper Darby, PA
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
http://www.thebeckzone.com/~gibby/Hockey/FIGHT!!!!!.wmv

swflyers8* is offline  
Old
03-07-2004, 12:37 AM
  #9
nessie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nessie Send a message via MSN to nessie Send a message via Yahoo to nessie
Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Thanx for providing that, my dad never got to see the fights and now he can!!!

nessie is offline  
Old
03-07-2004, 04:26 AM
  #10
Zoo
Registered User
 
Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
I think the Flyers have awoken a sleeping GIANT !!!

Zoo is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 10:48 AM
  #11
Steve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Can
Posts: 1,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF11
I think the Flyers have awoken a sleeping GIANT !!!
uh....I don't think the Sens are really going to do any better than they currently are. They have a chance to with the Presidents trophy right now and are in a dog fight for the division with 2 great teams. I also don't think the Sens are really going to turn into a bunch of tough guys either

Steve is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 11:45 AM
  #12
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,204
vCash: 500
I know they can play better than they have this season we have had no goaltending inconsitent effort aweful defensive zone coverage. The only reason I can say this is because I have seen them on a consistent basis improve on these areas of play.

bert is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.