HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gym workouts

Old
07-24-2007, 03:47 PM
koh19

vCash: 500
Gym workouts

I'd like to ask you guys some questions. I currently go to the gym twice a week, on tuesdays and fridays. I workout for approx. 1h45-2h every time. I was wondering if I should go a third time, maybe on sundays or is twice a week enough, considering the time I spend there every time. I do a complete body workout, I especially focuse on my legs and core.

I'm 5'83'' and I weigh 165 lbs. Am I too light for my height???
Thanks in advance.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 04:00 PM
sharkyz15

Send a message via AIM to sharkyz15 Send a message via Yahoo to sharkyz15
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I'd like to ask you guys some questions. I currently go to the gym twice a week, on tuesdays and fridays. I workout for approx. 1h45-2h every time. I was wondering if I should go a third time, maybe on sundays or is twice a week enough, considering the time I spend there every time. I do a complete body workout, I especially focuse on my legs and core.

Thanks in advance.
No I wouldnt say so but that depends if you are an athlete or not.

I am 5'10 1/2 and tipping in at 162 soaking wet.

As far as ur work out habbits, if your goal is to get bigger, going to the gym more is a must. I would say atleast 4 but pref 5 times a week if you are serious about it.

You don't need to go out and buy expensive things at GNC to put on wieght (muscle that is). Eat a healthy balanced diet, stay away from prossesed food as much as possible, eat white meat rather then red, and rather then taking in the power bars and protien shakes, a glass (or 2) of fat free milk with in an hour of lifting will provide you with plenty of protien.

That has been my personal diet this summer and it has served me well. I drink lots of water, run about 30 min on the tredmill at an incline and lift afterwards. I've stayed commited this summer and as a result have lost body fat and actually added on a few pounds of muscle.

Also a multi Vit in the morning is a good way to start off your day. Make sure you take it on a full stomach.

sharkyz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

If you really want to burn fat and calories, I suggest lifting then doing cardio.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 05:21 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkyz15 View Post
No I wouldnt say so but that depends if you are an athlete or not.

I am 5'10 1/2 and tipping in at 162 soaking wet.

As far as ur work out habbits, if your goal is to get bigger, going to the gym more is a must. I would say atleast 4 but pref 5 times a week if you are serious about it.

You don't need to go out and buy expensive things at GNC to put on wieght (muscle that is). Eat a healthy balanced diet, stay away from prossesed food as much as possible, eat white meat rather then red, and rather then taking in the power bars and protien shakes, a glass (or 2) of fat free milk with in an hour of lifting will provide you with plenty of protien.

That has been my personal diet this summer and it has served me well. I drink lots of water, run about 30 min on the tredmill at an incline and lift afterwards. I've stayed commited this summer and as a result have lost body fat and actually added on a few pounds of muscle.

Also a multi Vit in the morning is a good way to start off your day. Make sure you take it on a full stomach.
thanks for the tips. My goal isn't to gain 20 pounds of muscle but I'd like to gain about 6-7. I don't want to get too big because after my cardio and quickness will take a hit. Also, what's a multi vit...? is it a multi vitamin pill or something...

Old
07-24-2007, 06:56 PM
XweekendwarriorX

When i played football for my high school alot of your stamina and endurance is done through outdoor workouts. doing multiple workouts outside in an open field you can increase both of them in just 2 weeks pending on the time you put in. I bought cones that you setup about 15 yards aprt and do sprints, high knees, schuffles, and sprints. also mix up sprints by zig zags to help improve your turns.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 07:12 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I do highly suggest doing high-impact cardio rather than just doing a really long cardio session. For example, doing a HIT run for 20 minutes if a lot more beneficial than jogging for an hour for both burning fat and keeping on muscle. At least, that's been my experience from the past.

I'm also working out two days, then resting one, rinse and repeat.

I probably shouldn't give too much advice considering I'm 6'2" and weigh in at 168 soaking wet.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Strong Island

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
First off, it sounds like you're on the right track lifting wise. It is very smart for you to focus on core/lower body... building up that foundation leads to easier/better gains in your upper body as well as increased overall strength.

IMO go 3-4 times a week but spend only 1 to 1:15 each session. Also, try not to overwork any given bodypart on any given day at the gym. Doing sets to failure is one thing, demolishing a muscle group is another... definitly avoid the latter since it could lead to injury.

You're definitly not too light for your height. I'm a comparable height (5'10") and I weigh 170. I want to get up near 180 by the end of the summer. It all depends on your bodytype and goals as well as what sport you play.

Strong Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 08:20 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Im just 6'2 250 im to skinny

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 08:33 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
How long you workout is irrelevant to the quality of your routine.

Two glasses of milk is not enough protein for any sort of strength training regimen. 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is ideal.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 04:36 AM
koh19

thanks for the help. So I should spend 1 to 1h15 per session. That just seems so short. Does this include the warmup at the beginning and the stretching at the end?

Old
07-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Hank19

How many sets does everyone here do?
I'm getting older and I know I need to get more cardio in each day. But I'm on a fixed 60 minute time frame so it's not always possible.

Here's my current workout routine:

Monday
(I do alternate sets so I'll do a set of chest, take 30 seconds off, do a set of shoulders and then 60 seconds of rest)
- 12 sets of chest (incline dumbell, flat dumbell, decline barbell and incline dumbell fly)
- 12 sets of shoulders (dumbell press, shrugs supersetted with barbell pullups, shoulder flys, reverse shoulder flys)
- Abs
- 5 minutes of stationary bike using HIIT

Tuesday
- Abs
- Run 5 miles

Wednesday
- 15 sets of Tri's
- 9 sets of Bi's
- 3 sets of forearms
- Abs

Thursday
- Abs
- Run 5 miles

Friday
(Legs and Back using the same alternate scheme as chest and shoulders)
- 18 sets of legs
- 12 sets of back
- abs
- 10 minutes on stair master

I'd like to be able to shrink my weights into 2 days but I don't know if there's enough time and I don't know how I feel about cutting my sets down.
I've worked really hard to gain the muscle and weight that I have (started at 6'1" 160 lbs to 215 lbs) and I don't want to lose it. But I know that as you get older it's harder to add weight and lose fat at the same time.
Maybe it's time for me to quit pursuing the young mans dream and just start tapering myself and getting more cut.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 10:19 AM
nni

everybody is different, but if you are in the gym for 2 hours then you are overtraining.

try and go three times a week if you can.

mark ripptoe's program is excellent for beginners, but if you are more advanced then you know what your doing and you dont need my advice

1.5-2g of protein per pound of bodyweight is too much, it should be per KG of bodyweight.

hank19, what exercises are you doing, saying 12 sets of chest gives us no clue as to what you are doing.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 10:45 AM
koh19

I do 3 sets or 10-12 reps for every exercice
I'll try and spend a little less time then. How long do all of you spend per session?

Old
07-25-2007, 10:46 AM
LordHelmet

Weight training 5 times a week is too much. You don't gain muscle in the gym, you gain muscle in the following days as your body recovers (especially during sleep).

Generally, if you're able to work the same muscle without soreness after only a day of rest, you didn't work hard enough the first time. If you work a muscle on Monday, the earliest you should re-visit it is on Thursday. Abs/Core are the exception to that, they recover fast enough to do them on alternating days.

When I was single and able to have a regular program, I'd do legs on Monday, upper body pulling on Tuesday, upper body pushing on Wednesday. On Thursday, I'd do abs, extra cardio, and re-do any movements that didn't seem too effective earlier in the week. This was before I played hockey, so I'd modify it now to include more core work.

30-45 minutes should be plenty for the weight training portion of each session. Use heavier weights so your sets don't go past 6-8 reps. Don't spend more than a minute resting between sets. You'll keep the intensity higher and get interval-type cardio at the same time.

If you want, tack on some extra interval-cardio at the end to help finish off. Also, don't overlook the importance of stretching - especially after a leg workout. Added flexibility in your legs is a very, very underrated part of a good hockey training program.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:04 AM
nni

Quote:
I'll try and spend a little less time then. How long do all of you spend per session?
about an hour usually.

i would hit two body parts with 3-4 exercises per part usually 10-15 reps and 3 sets.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Hank19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nni View Post
everybody is different, but if you are in the gym for 2 hours then you are overtraining.

try and go three times a week if you can.

mark ripptoe's program is excellent for beginners, but if you are more advanced then you know what your doing and you dont need my advice

1.5-2g of protein per pound of bodyweight is too much, it should be per KG of bodyweight.

hank19, what exercises are you doing, saying 12 sets of chest gives us no clue as to what you are doing.
My current cycle is:

3 sets Incline Dumbell Press
3 sets Flat Dumbell Press
3 sets decline barbell press
3 sets Incline Dumbell Flys

I try to hit between 6-10 reps for each set and I do 15 seconds of fascia stretching after each set also.

Old
07-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Hank19

Quote:
Since I like to wait only 45-60 seconds between sets, I usually do 12 sets in about 25-30 minutes. After that I spend the next 30 on abs and cardio.

Old
07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Low volume high intensity works best for strength for most people. Check out the hardgainer routine in this article; http://www.ironaddicts.com/top%205%20lifting.html

And I'm not suggesting you train less, find something more productive. Lots of good HIIT suggestions at Ross Training; http://rosstraining.com/articles.html

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 01:32 PM
koh19

So if I understand correctly, I should wait 2-3 days before re-visiting the same muscle. Lots of people have told me to go 4-5 times a week....! When I go to the gym, I do every single part of the body; calves, hamstrings, quadriceps, abs, pectorals, biceps, triceps, shoulders, back,.... Should I go three times a week if I do all this. Since the gym is quite far from where I live, I try and do as much as I can every time, that's why I take 2 hours.

Old
07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Benji Frank

I like to be in there for between one to 1.25 hours 4 or 5 times a week. Also what i like is instead of doing a full body workout, is maybe focus on chest one day, arms the next, legs after that, etc....

A really good book on eating and weight training is Arny's "Pumping Iron". It gave alot of good info about what he ate and how often as well as his diferent routines. I bought it back in high school and still refer to chunks of it to this day.... because it's so old, you could find it in most used book stores for next to nothing.....

Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Hank19

Quote:
So if I understand correctly, I should wait 2-3 days before re-visiting the same muscle. Lots of people have told me to go 4-5 times a week....! When I go to the gym, I do every single part of the body; calves, hamstrings, quadriceps, abs, pectorals, biceps, triceps, shoulders, back,.... Should I go three times a week if I do all this. Since the gym is quite far from where I live, I try and do as much as I can every time, that's why I take 2 hours.
It all depends on how much you're doing and at what intensity.
If you walked in and did 2 sets for each body part at moderate intensity you could probably get away with doing one body part every 2-3 days.

But I know that when I started out, I was doing 10 sets of bench, with high weights/intensity, twice a week. I could handle it at first but eventually I hit a major plateau and it was because I wasn't allowing my muscles to fully heal.
Once I switched to doing each body part only once a week, my strength and growth went through the roof.

Old
07-25-2007, 05:23 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

My workouts are:

Monday
Chest/Arms - Bench Press, Hammer Curls, Tricep Extensions, Concentration Curls, Incline Dumbell Press, Preacher Curls, Wrist Curls.

Wednesday
Back/Shoulders - Deadlifts, Shrugs, Side Deltoid Raises, Two-Arm Dumbell Row, Dumbell Military Press, Lat Pulldowns.

Friday
Legs - Squats, Calf Raises, Leg Curls (10/5=1 set), Leg Extension(15/10= 1 set), Step-Ups, Lunges, One mile on treadmill at fast pace.

***Pushups/Situps everyday

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 10:22 AM
LordHelmet

Quote:
First off, how old are you? If you're 15 or 16, just give it time. Whatever you're doing will help, but your body will add size on it's own.

Anyway, assuming you're older - like 18+.. First rule, don't train a muscle that's sore from a previous session. The growth you're after is occurring during the transition from fatigued & sore to fully recovered.

Second rule, if you're fully recovered after only one day of rest, you're probably not training hard enough on the first day. (there are some exceptions to this) You need to add intensity.

Adding strength & mass for hockey generally means heavy weights, low reps. For each movement, find a weight that you can only lift 5-7 times. After a couple of weeks, you'll be able to do more than 8 reps, so add weight to bring them back down into the 5-7 range.

Now, the whole body, three times a week, lower weight, higher-reps thing *does* have it's place, but that type of routine should be taken up closer to the start of the season.

From what I've read, you should use the first half of the offseason to add strength & mass. The next quarter to concentrate on removing lactic acid (I forget the technical term for this) then in the last quarter, add in some quickness/agility/plyo work.

Regardless of whether you're on a heavy/low rep or light/high rep cycle, every set should be performed to near muscular failure. If you aren't straining to push out that last rep or two, you aren't really accomplishing that much.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 10:41 AM
faucette78

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
When i played football for my high school alot of your stamina and endurance is done through outdoor workouts. doing multiple workouts outside in an open field you can increase both of them in just 2 weeks pending on the time you put in. I bought cones that you setup about 15 yards aprt and do sprints, high knees, schuffles, and sprints. also mix up sprints by zig zags to help improve your turns.
If you want some great hockey specific training for the gym and on the open field go to http://www.nike.com/canada/niketraining/. the video is totally free.

They have video of hockey specific exercises done by professional trainers that train hockey players. The players in the videos are some members of the Canadian junior team that is taking part in russia/canada summit series later in the summer. There are exercises to work on conditioning, power, speed and strenght. Great videos!!!!

faucette78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 12:47 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
First off, how old are you? If you're 15 or 16, just give it time. Whatever you're doing will help, but your body will add size on it's own.

Anyway, assuming you're older - like 18+.. First rule, don't train a muscle that's sore from a previous session. The growth you're after is occurring during the transition from fatigued & sore to fully recovered.

Second rule, if you're fully recovered after only one day of rest, you're probably not training hard enough on the first day. (there are some exceptions to this) You need to add intensity.

Adding strength & mass for hockey generally means heavy weights, low reps. For each movement, find a weight that you can only lift 5-7 times. After a couple of weeks, you'll be able to do more than 8 reps, so add weight to bring them back down into the 5-7 range.

Now, the whole body, three times a week, lower weight, higher-reps thing *does* have it's place, but that type of routine should be taken up closer to the start of the season.

From what I've read, you should use the first half of the offseason to add strength & mass. The next quarter to concentrate on removing lactic acid (I forget the technical term for this) then in the last quarter, add in some quickness/agility/plyo work.

Regardless of whether you're on a heavy/low rep or light/high rep cycle, every set should be performed to near muscular failure. If you aren't straining to push out that last rep or two, you aren't really accomplishing that much.
I'm 17. I have another question. Supposing a go to the gym on monday and do exercices involving my legs, can I do sled dragging the next day or the day before. Or should I wait a couple days....