HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

which team takes the ATL?(NHL.com poll)

Old
07-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
If I had to rank them I would go:

Penguins
Rangers

Flyers
Devils

Islanders
i'd probably go that way too... i think we're extremely volatile... could see us anywhere from 1 to 4... Devils i can't see getting the division next year, but with Marty back there they'll have a shot.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 11:35 AM
The refs love me

I'd have to go with:

Pens (roughly the same team, with a few holes filled in from last season)

Devils (lost Gomez and Rafalski, but the main core is still there as is Marty B.)

Rangers and Flyers (I'm not sold on the Rangers yet, signing a bunch of guys doesn't mean a damn thing if there's no chemistry. I'm not crowning them anything yet. As far as the Flyers, they have a great young D-core and Briere is a great signing.. They could very well finish ahead of the Rangers or anyone for that matter)

Islanders (15 mil in cap space doesn't mean a damn thing of there's no one worth signing.)

The refs love me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan55 View Post
Guerin will take Blake's spot and we only had Smyth for a little bit and he didn't produce that much offense for us, Isles will be fine offensively if they get one more center & if we had a halfway decent backup like Dubie instead of Dunham (4-10-3) we could've won a game or two without DP in net so its no different than last year, everyone has Isles dead last so w.e
No Smyth, no Yashin, no Blake, no Poti, No Asham, No Kozlov, No Hill, no Zednik, no draft picks this year.

Fedotenko, Guerin, Comrie? wow impressive. Snow is a great GM.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
No Smyth, no Yashin, no Blake, no Poti, No Asham, No Kozlov, No Hill, no Zednik, no draft picks this year.

tough to really nail Snow... as knowing what is going on within management is kinda tough up there. obviously Snow is involved, but Smith ditched that gig for a reason.

i agree that they will not be replacing what was lost easily... or at all.

Old
07-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
tough to really nail Snow... as knowing what is going on within management is kinda tough up there. obviously Snow is involved, but Smith ditched that gig for a reason.

i agree that they will not be replacing what was lost easily... or at all.
Well Before trading for Smyth at least ask him if he wants to sign with NYI..

NYI will rebuild for next 3-4 years and it will not be easy.

Old
07-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
1. Rangers
2. Penguins
3. Flyers
4. Devils
5. Isles
Exactly how I see it too with the last 2 missing the playoffs.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
Exactly how I see it too with the last 2 missing the playoffs.
I think Pittsburgh will be #1.

Old
07-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well Before trading for Smyth at least ask him if he wants to sign with NYI..

NYI will rebuild for next 3-4 years and it will not be easy.
the man was crying in his press conference... i think we all know the answer.

i have no idea what they were thinking there, it was simply dumb. however, it's difficult to know who is pulling the strings with the setup Wang has put together.

Old
07-20-2007, 02:15 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
i like that stat, that shows the Flyers were in a lot of games, and that they just came up short. I doubt we come up short as much with Timonen, Briere, Hartnell, and Smith added to this roster. That could end up being a LOT more points in the standings.
Well, they going to need about 40 more than last year.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 02:18 PM
rayearth

Quote:

Come on, how could you forget Sim?

Old
07-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Come on, how could you forget Sim?
Jon Sim: How can just six letters sum up worthless any better?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
I think Pittsburgh will be #1.
I think experience will put Gomez, Jagr, Shanahan, Drury, Straka, and etc. will make them the top seed in the east.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 07:57 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Jon Sim: How can just six letters sum up worthless any better?
I'm still laughing at whoever said he was a shoe-in to lead the preseason in goals (and hat tricks). He did manage to score 17 in '06 and 17 in '07 though. I mean, that's not terrible.

Old
07-20-2007, 08:24 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
I'm still laughing at whoever said he was a shoe-in to lead the preseason in goals (and hat tricks). He did manage to score 17 in '06 and 17 in '07 though. I mean, that's not terrible.
Twas I.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 10:59 PM
slippy576

1. Pens - And that's hard for me to swallow because I hate them a lot.
2. Rags/Flyers - It'll depend on how the teams gel.
3. Rags/Flyers
4. NJ - They lost Gomez and Rafalski and Marty is getting up there in terms of age, the devils are going to need to rest him a bit more if they want to prolong his career.
5. Islanders

slippy576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 11:23 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
If I had to rank them I would go:

Penguins
Rangers

Flyers
Devils

Islanders
Agreed.

tom_servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 11:32 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
1. Pittsburgh
2. Rangers
3. Flyers
4. Devils

5. Islanders

Top 3 easily make the playoffs and the Devils scratch and claw and get in on the final week.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 11:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
Right now, I'm putting the Rangers atop the division followed by Pittsburgh, Flyers, Devils and the Islanders.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 11:45 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippy576 View Post
1. Pens - And that's hard for me to swallow because I hate them a lot.
2. Rags/Flyers - It'll depend on how the teams gel.
3. Rags/Flyers
4. NJ - They lost Gomez and Rafalski and Marty is getting up there in terms of age, the devils are going to need to rest him a bit more if they want to prolong his career.
5. Islanders
That's exactly how I feel. I think the Pens will take the division and the Flyers/Rangers will fight for 2 and 3. The Devils may finally have a down year. Should be great to watch

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:12 PM
doublechili

I'm a lifelong Isles' fan but also renewed my Flyers' season tix today, so I guess this isn't trolling...

I can't believe how many people are putting the Flyers ahead of the Devils. The Devils had 107 points last year, the Flyers had 56. That's 51 points to make up. The Isles finished 36 points ahead. There have been a lot of changes, but the baseline counts for something, especially with an organization like the Devils which just seems to keep on coming up with winners. And I'll be surprised if Brent Sutter is anything but an excellent NHL coach.

Coaching and goaltending are the two most important things in hockey, and people always overlook them. They are the reasons the Isles had 92 points and made the playoffs last year when last summer they were generally picked to finish 13-15th in the conference. As someone who wants the Flyers to do well, I'm more than a little concerned about their coach (not to mention the mobility issues on D). The Flyers' goaltending is hopefully improved, but still probably only 4th best in the division, maybe with a bit of a gap after 3rd best. On the positive side, the Flyers have a mess of very good young forwards and forward prospects, and if a handful of them blossom this year the program will be accelerated.

Nylander was very good for the Rangers last year, and he made Jagr happy. As much as I like Gomez, I'd be more concerned about the Rangers if they signed only Drury, kept Nylander, and had another few million in cap space to have kept Cullen or done something else.

"No Smyth, no Yashin, no Blake, no Poti, No Asham, No Kozlov, No Hill, no Zednik". Okay, it's July 25th. Smyth, Kozlov, Zednik and, I believe, Hill weren't even on the Isles' roster last July 25th. In other words, there's not a roster lock-down. Also, Kozlov, Poti and Hill were all laughed at last year like Sim, Fedotenko, etc. are being laughed at here now. You might wonder why Kozlov, Poti and Hill had such unexpectedly good years (no steroid jokes please). Again, don't underestimate coaching. Oh, and Yashin? Yashin was addition by subtraction, big time. That was a huge millstone lifted off the team's shoulders.

It's really too early for predictions, but my hunch is when the rosters are set the division will be pretty competitive 1-5. We'll see.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 12:19 AM
chromemaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I'm a lifelong Isles' fan but also renewed my Flyers' season tix today, so I guess this isn't trolling...

I can't believe how many people are putting the Flyers ahead of the Devils. .

i give the flyers the edge but i think we will both be fighting for 3rd in the division.

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 12:48 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

I can't believe how many people are putting the Flyers ahead of the Devils. The Devils had 107 points last year, the Flyers had 56. That's 51 points to make up. The Isles finished 36 points ahead. There have been a lot of changes, but the baseline counts for something, especially with an organization like the Devils which just seems to keep on coming up with winners. And I'll be surprised if Brent Sutter is anything but an excellent NHL coach.

Coaching and goaltending are the two most important things in hockey, and people always overlook them. They are the reasons the Isles had 92 points and made the playoffs last year when last summer they were generally picked to finish 13-15th in the conference. As someone who wants the Flyers to do well, I'm more than a little concerned about their coach (not to mention the mobility issues on D). The Flyers' goaltending is hopefully improved, but still probably only 4th best in the division, maybe with a bit of a gap after 3rd best. On the positive side, the Flyers have a mess of very good young forwards and forward prospects, and if a handful of them blossom this year the program will be accelerated.

Nylander was very good for the Rangers last year, and he made Jagr happy. As much as I like Gomez, I'd be more concerned about the Rangers if they signed only Drury, kept Nylander, and had another few million in cap space to have kept Cullen or done something else.

"No Smyth, no Yashin, no Blake, no Poti, No Asham, No Kozlov, No Hill, no Zednik". Okay, it's July 25th. Smyth, Kozlov, Zednik and, I believe, Hill weren't even on the Isles' roster last July 25th. In other words, there's not a roster lock-down. Also, Kozlov, Poti and Hill were all laughed at last year like Sim, Fedotenko, etc. are being laughed at here now. You might wonder why Kozlov, Poti and Hill had such unexpectedly good years (no steroid jokes please). Again, don't underestimate coaching. Oh, and Yashin? Yashin was addition by subtraction, big time. That was a huge millstone lifted off the team's shoulders.

It's really too early for predictions, but my hunch is when the rosters are set the division will be pretty competitive 1-5. We'll see.
And what issues would those be?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 01:16 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Your statement completely contradicts itself. The basline counts for something? What about the Flyers baseline of reaching the playoffs for the past god knows how many year in a row prior to this one last season. The baseline for the Flyers isn't 56 points, it's a history of continuously coming up with winners.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote