HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gym workouts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-26-2007, 02:15 PM
  #26
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
i am about 5'10" - 190lbs. fairly built upper body, and my best advice in this matter would be if you want to gain muscle when your lifting weights don't work the same muscle 2 days in a row, your supposed to give them 36 hours to repair themselves, becasue every time your muscles repair themselves they get bigger, but if you do the same workout within 24 hours of each other your muscles haven't healed completely and it will take longer for you to get your desired result.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:46 PM
  #27
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I'm 17. I have another question. Supposing a go to the gym on monday and do exercices involving my legs, can I do sled dragging the next day or the day before. Or should I wait a couple days....
If you do leg workouts right, you shouldn't be able to do much other than jogging for a few days afterward.
I know when my legs are extremely sore for a good 3 days after my leg workouts.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:48 PM
  #28
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
i am about 5'10" - 190lbs. fairly built upper body, and my best advice in this matter would be if you want to gain muscle when your lifting weights don't work the same muscle 2 days in a row, your supposed to give them 36 hours to repair themselves, becasue every time your muscles repair themselves they get bigger, but if you do the same workout within 24 hours of each other your muscles haven't healed completely and it will take longer for you to get your desired result.
Most experts will tell you that you should wait at least 5-7 days before repeating the same body part.

I mentioned it earlier but I saw my greatest gains in both strength and mass once I dropped doing body parts twice a week. I simply wasn't giving my muscles time to heal and strengthen. I was always breaking them down too soon.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:17 PM
  #29
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
so if I consider everything you guys have said (rest periods...), how could I plan my week

Monday: 6.7 K run
Tuesday: gym.....
Wednesday: .....
Thursday: interval based running
Friday: gym......
Saturday: ......
Sunday: gym.....

I have to place: -gym: abs, core, back and upperbody
: -gym: upperbody and legs
: -gym: legs and abs, core, back
: -sled dragging (wednesday or saturday)
: -rest day (wednesday or saturday)

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:24 PM
  #30
XweekendwarriorX
 
XweekendwarriorX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buffalo,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Does anyone know where i can buy those nike/bauer cross trainer sneakers? those look great to run in or to just have a full workout in.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:29 PM
  #31
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
Does anyone know where i can buy those nike/bauer cross trainer sneakers? those look great to run in or to just have a full workout in.

Do you mean these?

http://www.sidelineapparel.com/menifrtr70b.html

If so, I bought mine there, I highly recommend this site, the shipping is very fast.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:30 PM
  #32
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
so if I consider everything you guys have said (rest periods...), how could I plan my week

Monday: 6.7 K run
Tuesday: gym.....
Wednesday: .....
Thursday: interval based running
Friday: gym......
Saturday: ......
Sunday: gym.....

I have to place: -gym: abs, core, back and upperbody
: -gym: upperbody and legs
: -gym: legs and abs, core, back
: -sled dragging (wednesday or saturday)
: -rest day (wednesday or saturday)
What are you doing with your upperbody? Is it just 2 sets a peice for everything (chest, shoulders, back, bi's, tri's, forearms)??

Since I don't know what your goals are I think the best thing to do is talk to a trainer at your gym.

If you're training just for hockey there are a thousand websites out there that will give you what you need.

When I used to box I would do my running either very early in the morning or late at night. That way I could do my training in the day as well as my weight lifting.
That might be the way to go.
Judging by your schedule you're going to workout 5 days a week but you want to get in so much. Between weights, running, sled dragging, etc you'll need to bump it up to 6 or 7 days a week.
That's basically what I do. I run three days a week and dedicate 3 other days strictly to weight lifting (Chest & Shoulders, Bi's and Tri's, Legs & Back).

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:34 PM
  #33
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
What are you doing with your upperbody? Is it just 2 sets a peice for everything (chest, shoulders, back, bi's, tri's, forearms)??

Since I don't know what your goals are I think the best thing to do is talk to a trainer at your gym.

If you're training just for hockey there are a thousand websites out there that will give you what you need.

When I used to box I would do my running either very early in the morning or late at night. That way I could do my training in the day as well as my weight lifting.
That might be the way to go.
Judging by your schedule you're going to workout 5 days a week but you want to get in so much. Between weights, running, sled dragging, etc you'll need to bump it up to 6 or 7 days a week.
That's basically what I do. I run three days a week and dedicate 3 other days strictly to weight lifting (Chest & Shoulders, Bi's and Tri's, Legs & Back).
Ok thanks for the tips

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:28 PM
  #34
LordHelmet
Registered User
 
LordHelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
so if I consider everything you guys have said (rest periods...), how could I plan my week

Monday: 6.7 K run
Tuesday: gym.....
Wednesday: .....
Thursday: interval based running
Friday: gym......
Saturday: ......
Sunday: gym.....

I have to place: -gym: abs, core, back and upperbody
: -gym: upperbody and legs
: -gym: legs and abs, core, back
: -sled dragging (wednesday or saturday)
: -rest day (wednesday or saturday)
Don't know if I understand this totally right, but it still looks like you're trying to fit a little too much in. It might be workable though..
Using your days I would go..

Monday: Cardio*
Tuesday: gym (heavy legs)
Wednesday: rest**
Thursday: rest***
Friday: gym (upper body push)
Saturday: Cardio
Sunday: gym (upper body pull)

* You had a distance run here. That doesn't really pay off in hockey, intervals would be better. If you enjoy a long run, do it, but at least maybe interval-ize it by joggin hard for 1 minute, then taking it slow for 2 minutes.

** Some light leg work would be good here if you can do it early. I forget the physiology behind it, but doing this soon (like 10-15 hours) after your weight session reduces DOMS and speeds recovery. You aren't after anything super intense, just a good burn for 15-20 minutes. A brisk bike ride works well. For a while, I'd do my legs late Tuesday night, then wake up around 630 on Wednesday and go for a 30 minute ride before work.

*** you had interval running here.. That's too intense to do this so soon after your leg routine. If you do a good lower body strength routine on Monday, this will be the day with the most DOMS in your legs. Leave those legs alone. Let them rest, recover, and grow. Wait till later in the week to hit them with intervals.

Rather than separating out sled drags, intervals, and running, throw all of them in the "Cardio" category and just pick the one you feel like doing on each particular day.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:44 PM
  #35
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
Don't know if I understand this totally right, but it still looks like you're trying to fit a little too much in. It might be workable though..
Using your days I would go..

Monday: Cardio*
Tuesday: gym (heavy legs)
Wednesday: rest**
Thursday: rest***
Friday: gym (upper body push)
Saturday: Cardio
Sunday: gym (upper body pull)

* You had a distance run here. That doesn't really pay off in hockey, intervals would be better. If you enjoy a long run, do it, but at least maybe interval-ize it by joggin hard for 1 minute, then taking it slow for 2 minutes.

** Some light leg work would be good here if you can do it early. I forget the physiology behind it, but doing this soon (like 10-15 hours) after your weight session reduces DOMS and speeds recovery. You aren't after anything super intense, just a good burn for 15-20 minutes. A brisk bike ride works well. For a while, I'd do my legs late Tuesday night, then wake up around 630 on Wednesday and go for a 30 minute ride before work.

*** you had interval running here.. That's too intense to do this so soon after your leg routine. If you do a good lower body strength routine on Monday, this will be the day with the most DOMS in your legs. Leave those legs alone. Let them rest, recover, and grow. Wait till later in the week to hit them with intervals.

Rather than separating out sled drags, intervals, and running, throw all of them in the "Cardio" category and just pick the one you feel like doing on each particular day.

great! thanks for your help!

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.