HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Roster Set

Old
07-25-2007, 09:30 PM
caniac247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisssh View Post
Lastest Eclund rumors:

Says we have offer for Peca.....
Also listed as Carolina interest
Jussi Markkanen
Tanabe
O'Neil
Eddie B
Got this off a Buffalo poster on hockeybuzz. He copied from a Buffalo blogger. Pretty much explains the offer Peca got from Carolina.
Quote:
Now, here's the kicker. Guess who else wants Mike Peca? The New York Rangers! The Carolina Hurricanes also want him. Or at least they did until a couple days ago. See, Peter Laviolette (Hurricanes HC) wanted Peca BAD as a third-line Center. The Rangers knew this, too. So, my source was told the Rangers were trying to trade Matt Cullen in order to free up money and space to sign Peca first.....

So, what did the Rangers do? They simply shopped Cullen back to Carolina who gladly took him back since he was such a key to their Cup team. Carolina got their needed 3rd line Center and New York freed up about $2.5 mil to use to sign Peca. Win-Win.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:06 AM
caniac247

Update from DeCock's blog:
Quote:
The way the Hurricanes' roster looks now, they're ready for Opening Night. They have 13 forwards, seven defensemen and two goalies (three, really) under contract and are only slightly over budget at $44.7 million.

They have some minor-league depth in guys like rough-and-tumble defenseman Wade Brookbank -- on call in Albany for any anticipated shenanigans at the NHL level -- and forwards Keith Aucoin and David Gove. Goalie Michael Leighton is an NHL-quality backup as well.

But I'd be surprised if this is how things look on Oct. 3.

For one thing, Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette usually prefers to carry eight defensemen. The Canes only have payroll room for one extra player, and my guess is they'd rather it be a defenseman than a forward with all the uncertainty surrounding Bret Hedican's health and Glen Wesley being 39 and all.

Between Matt Cullen's return and Jeff Hamilton's signing, Trevor Letowski has slipped down the depth chart into a group of four on the fourth line. Hamilton, obviously, will play. That leaves two spots for Letowski, Craig Adams and Chad LaRose. Both Adams and LaRose make less than Letowski's $800,000.

You don't have to be an NHL general manager to figure out where this is headed.

While the Canes were high on Letowski last summer -- and he's a good guy who works hard, victim of the kind of hit (by Colby Armstrong) that I don't think should be a part of the game -- he's the guy who will have to go if the Canes want to add a defenseman. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much trade value, or he would have been included in the Cullen deal.

So unless the Canes can find a destination for Letowski, there's no way to bring back, say, David Tanabe, who earned a raise over the $900,000 he made last season but hasn't found any takers on the open market. At this point, he might be willing to come back for $1 million (or less, as the summer goes on). With Letowski's salary off the books, the Canes might be willing to stomach that.
Trade Letowski for a pick or prospect. That opens up $800K. Tanabe has said that he appreciated JR for giving him a second chance and wants to stay on the team. He could be had for $1M, which would put us $900K over our self-imposed budget.

I thought I read somewhere that Pittsburgh offered Tanabe $900K, apparently he wants time to think about it. Eklund now has us back as a possible destination for Tanabe. Wonder if Tanabe is giving JR a chance to make room for him

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:27 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I don't know if I wouldn't trade Craig Adams before Trevor Letowski. I think the speed that a potential fourth-line of Letowski / Hamilton / LaRose could provide would be much more valuable than the grit that Adams would provide on the fourth-line. Craig Adams really became ineffective after the Kevyn Adams trade.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:49 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Craig Adams is the closest thing to an "enforcer" that this team has. Gleason, Ladd, and Commodore will all occasionally fight, but losing them for 5 minutes would hurt. I'd prefer to keep Adams for the grit. Hell, I wouldn't mind keeping Letowski for the speed and signing Tanabe and going further over the cap..but that's not my decision (obviously). It'd just give them more options than limiting themselves.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
I'd rather have Adams. He brings that toughness that none of our other forwards have other than Ladd. He had a good offensive year as well, chipping in 7 goals. I'd like to see him play over Letowski as much as I'd like to see Letowski get a chance.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
I'm with keeping Adams myself. To me, he would be more valuable than Letowski to this team. Even though Letowski has proved throughout his career that he has more of a goal scoring touch, we don't essentially need that on the 4th line as much as I think we need and can use Craig's grit and feistyness along with his willingness to drop the mitts if he has to do so. With LaRose and Hamilton to that line, and it is a pretty good 4th line of energy, speed, grit and some chipped in goals here and there.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 01:23 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

lets get letowski out of here, hes probably a nice guy but we need to go in a different direction

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Exactly the same in my franchise, I believe he recently had a 72-goal season. He is always at the top of the points list. Because of that, the Calgary Flames are ALWAYS the best team in the Western Conference and in the Stanley Cup Finals.
Hmm I don't play EA's crappy NHL games anymore. I just do the roster updates and ratings.
Last time I played and simulated most of the seasons, prospect Petr Kalus had like 90 goals and 3 assists. Needless to say he led the league in goals...

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:25 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

You all seem to forget a guy by the name of Scott Walker who IS our primary enforcer. I feel Walker, along with Andrew Ladd and Tim Gleason, add more than enough toughness to this team. I just think Trevor Letowski's speed would be a greater asset and compliment to the speed of Chad LaRose and Jeff Hamilton on the fourth-line.

If we ever need a little grit added to the fourth-line, just call up Trevor Gillies.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I think there is no way that with as good of a year as Craig Adams had, by his standards, last year that Carolina lets him go considering all the ties to the front office that he has. Letowski is obviously the odd man out and to be honest, he deserves a better fate than sitting in the press box every night. JR has been exceptional about getting this type of dead weight out of our system, especially when they're quality guys, and i'm sure he's working on a way to send Letowski to a team where he'll dress and play every night.

I think David Tanabe is going to end up back with this team. I hope he does because it would really suck to see him sign with an offensive juggernaut like Pittsburgh, put up great totals, and then have to hear from everybody in the league how great of a player he is and why we let him go considering he wanted to be here.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote