HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hartfords lines/ Rangers depth

Old
07-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Jackson Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
My take:

Forwards:
Dawes - Dubinsky - Bourett
Korpikoski - Pyatt - Moore
Byers - Anisimov - Jessiman
Fritz - Dupont - Lessard

Spare forwards:
Owens (LW), Barnes (C), Graham (C), Kozak (RW)

Defense:
Liffiton - Potter
Baranka - Sauer
Staal - Taylor

Spare defensemen:
Pikkarainen (L), Busto (R)

Given the 19-man roster, I expect either Fritz or Lessard to dress, probably not both. Lessard's got a few more games to serve in his suspension anyway, so won't be dressed opening night.

If the Rangers don't sign a new 3rd line center, and Immonen does in fact go back to Finland, I expect Dubinsky or Anisimov will start the season in NY, meaning the centers listed currently move up a slot, and Barnes enters the lineup.

Finally, while I'd love for Staal to start the season in NY, the Rangers logjam on defense makes it unlikely at the moment.
I'd pay to see these guys. Especially Pyatt and Dupont. Just have a good feeling about these two guys.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:00 PM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Most of the player you mention as experienced have a chance to make the NHL in the near future--I'm talking about AHL veterans who will most likely be around all season because their window as NHLers has closed. Another reason to have a couple of AHL lifers around is because they understand the ups and downs of the AHL and are less likely to fall into a funk when the team loses--they keep the locker room loose and help young players (most of whom have always played on winning teams) understand how to stay steady. Plus, they help the newbies get used to being professionals.

Do not expect the Wolfpack to ice a team of all Ranger prospects.
I dont expect the Rangers to be purely of prospects that's why at the start of this thread i said it was hypothetical,and i also included a player like Lessard who is highly thought of in Hartford for his presence as well as his fists.

Players like Mitch Fritz will also be there as well as players like Mark lee who split the last yr in Charlotte and Hartford will help too. NOT all veterans need to be 30+ year olds...

Busto wont be a spare, he'll dress as he has an NHL contract which means they surely want o see him ice more, as Callahan43 alluded to.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:22 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
With the Ranger's cap situation, Hartford is going to play huge role this season when any injures that might happen. It's this kind of ability to step up that has been missing from this franchise for the better part of two decades.
I totally agree. Historically there's been a total disconnect between the big club and their minor league affiliate.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:27 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
Busto wont be a spare, he'll dress as he has an NHL contract which means they surely want o see him ice more, as Callahan43 alluded to.
I'm not necessarily convinced you're wrong -- I've never seen him play myself, so ranking him fourth on the depth chart is based merely on the fact he's an undrafted junior.

However, having an NHL contract means little in terms of whether he'll play in Hartford or not. An NHL contract didn't prevent guys like Jessiman, Kozak, Falardeau, Pikkarainen, Graham, Bahensky or Potter from spending time in Charlotte or the press box last season.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I'm not necessarily convinced you're wrong -- I've never seen him play myself, so ranking him fourth on the depth chart is based merely on the fact he's an undrafted junior.

However, having an NHL contract means little in terms of whether he'll play in Hartford or not. An NHL contract didn't prevent guys like Jessiman, Kozak, Falardeau, Pikkarainen, Graham, Bahensky or Potter from spending time in Charlotte or the press box last season.
Agreed--they'll have to earn their way if the past is any guide. One thing, Pikkarainen was down in Charlotte rehabbing after his shoulder injury in training camp--he really didn't stay all that long.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I'd pay to see these guys. Especially Pyatt and Dupont. Just have a good feeling about these two guys.
Agreed.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 06:58 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I really have no idea but it was fun to think about.

Dawes - Pyatt - Bourret
Korpikoski - Anisimov - Bahensky
Byers - Dupont - Moore
Graham - Barnes- Jessiman

Staal - Kaspairitis
Baranka - Sauer
Liffiton - Pikkarainen

Montoya
Miika Wiikman

Callahan and Dubinsky make the big club.

Last edited by vipernsx: 07-27-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old
07-26-2007, 08:28 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

Dawes - Pyatt - Bourret
Byers - Dupont - Moore

Staal - Kaspairitis
Baranka - Sauer
Liffiton - Pikkarainen

Montoya
Didn't the Ranger's just sign another European goalie?

The euro goalie is Mikka Wiikman

And I believe they signed Busto to man the powerplay, so he will likely be in the lineup, as well as potentially Hutchinson

It looks very crowded on the blueline, and I think Pikkarainen and maybe even Liffiton might get demoted.

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:47 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Quote:

Dawes - Pyatt - Bourret
Byers - Dupont - Moore

Staal - Kaspairitis
Baranka - Sauer
Liffiton - Pikkarainen

Montoya
Didn't the Ranger's just sign another European goalie?

In the AHL you need a goon to protect your top prospects/stars. They play HOCKEY in the AHL. I wouldnt mind dressing Fritz and Lessard so that our young guns are safe.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:56 PM
rodmunch

Wow, looking at the potential roster, it looks like a lot of guys are going to get demoted, there simply isnt a enough room

Guess its a better situation then not having enough players in the minors

Old
07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Agreed--they'll have to earn their way if the past is any guide. One thing, Pikkarainen was down in Charlotte rehabbing after his shoulder injury in training camp--he really didn't stay all that long.
He should have, based on what I saw of him in Hartford at the end of the season.

Old
07-26-2007, 09:43 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmunch View Post
It looks very crowded on the blueline, and I think Pikkarainen and maybe even Liffiton might get demoted.
Liffiton will not be demoted. He's probably their top returning defenseman, one of the few experience d-men they have, and a Renney favorite who's been amongst the first call-ups on D over the past 2 seasons.

Old
07-27-2007, 02:28 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Liffiton will not be demoted. He's probably their top returning defenseman, one of the few experience d-men they have, and a Renney favorite who's been amongst the first call-ups on D over the past 2 seasons.
what is preventing him to make it. I thought he played well in the game vs the Bruins where Callahan scored 2 goals. He cant be worse than Pock. Liffiton brings a physical edge that our d dont have.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 03:37 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
what is preventing him to make it. I thought he played well in the game vs the Bruins where Callahan scored 2 goals. He cant be worse than Pock. Liffiton brings a physical edge that our d dont have.
Liffiton does have a physical edge but what is his skating ability and positioning like?

If he can avoid being a liability on those areas then he has definitely got a chance to make the Rangers because liek you said, he brings something that most of our D doesnt have. His problem is there are so many people already in NY.

I cant help thinking that we'll move a D man or two before camp.

Old
07-27-2007, 07:42 AM
rodmunch

Quote:
Liffiton does have a physical edge but what is his skating ability and positioning like?

If he can avoid being a liability on those areas then he has definitely got a chance to make the Rangers because liek you said, he brings something that most of our D doesnt have. His problem is there are so many people already in NY.

I cant help thinking that we'll move a D man or two before camp.
Personally, I dont see Liffiton making it full-time, he is just too slow and weak positionally to cut it. I see him being like Jason Strudwick, a seventh defensman at best.

But if he really will play on the top pairing in Hartford, which defenceman could be demoted next year?

EDIT: I also am not sure that Liffiton is a favorite of Renney. I do remember in his first callup, he was only called up because the two dman ahead of him, Lampman and Baranka, were both hurt at the time. Also in his games, I remember him not playing alot and Renney rotating just 5 dman.

Old
07-27-2007, 08:43 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Personally, I dont see Liffiton making it full-time, he is just too slow and weak positionally to cut it. I see him being like Jason Strudwick, a seventh defensman at best.
There is absolutely no comparison between Liffiton and Strudwick. Strudwick could not keep up with the game last year. Liffiton, aside from a nervous first game, did not really look to be that much out of place. Liffiton may still make it as a 3rd pairing defenseman. Whether or not it is here is a different story.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
There is absolutely no comparison between Liffiton and Strudwick. Strudwick could not keep up with the game last year. Liffiton, aside from a nervous first game, did not really look to be that much out of place. Liffiton may still make it as a 3rd pairing defenseman. Whether or not it is here is a different story.
There's also still room and time for Liffiton to improve. Strudwick's not getting any better.

07-27-2007, 08:59 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
There's also still room and time for Liffiton to improve. Strudwick's not getting any better.
Lets face it Strudwick is strictly a depth defenceman. if we were decimated by injuries we'd likely call someone up or trade and he'd fill in, in the mean time... whereas Liffiton on his talent and style has a chance to make the team whether it be now or later. Strudwick is only an insurance policy.

Old
07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikO'doyle View Post
In the AHL you need a goon to protect your top prospects/stars. They play HOCKEY in the AHL. I wouldnt mind dressing Fritz and Lessard so that our young guns are safe.
I agree, it'd be a good idea to keep Fritz around as an extra and play him against those teams that you're concerned about. Otherwise I'd tell Jessiman to go goon it out and if he won't, then demote him to the ECHL where he seems best fit and bringup Kozak to play on the 4th regularly.

Liffiton is pretty tough too and isn't too bad on D at the AHL level

Old
07-27-2007, 10:36 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
The euro goalie is Mikka Wiikman

And I believe they signed Busto to man the powerplay, so he will likely be in the lineup, as well as potentially Hutchinson

Thanks for the info. I couldn't remember this guys name and he's not on the ranger's "in the system" roster, I guess that's because he's under contract with Hartford and not NYR. If we end up with another Girardi situation, I'd be more than happy with this guy.

I forgot about Busto, thanks again.

Last edited by vipernsx: 07-27-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old
07-27-2007, 10:44 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Lets face it Strudwick is strictly a depth defenceman.....Strudwick is only an insurance policy.
Agreed...and if things were really really bad....he can play forward too. That kind of flexability and willing to accept the role is what got him signed.

Old
07-27-2007, 11:38 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Lets face it Strudwick is strictly a depth defenceman. if we were decimated by injuries we'd likely call someone up or trade and he'd fill in, in the mean time... whereas Liffiton on his talent and style has a chance to make the team whether it be now or later. Strudwick is only an insurance policy.
He is not even that. I would exhaust the Harftord ranks before putting him into the line-up. Strudwick showed last year that he is incapable of keeping up with the game.

Old
07-27-2007, 12:02 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Honestly, I dont think there is much of a chance that Liffiton can even make it as a regular third pairing guy.

You really think that Liffiton did not look out of place? I thought he kinda did, he looked like he was behind the play most of the time to me, and I never really saw the physical side of him.

I compare Liffiton to Strudwick because I see both as 7th defensman at best

Old
07-27-2007, 12:27 PM
squishy

Quote:
I agree, it'd be a good idea to keep Fritz around as an extra and play him against those teams that you're concerned about. Otherwise I'd tell Jessiman to go goon it out and if he won't, then demote him to the ECHL where he seems best fit and bringup Kozak to play on the 4th regularly.

Liffiton is pretty tough too and isn't too bad on D at the AHL level
In the AHL, every team is a team you're concerned about in terms of toughness and fighting. While Jessiman proved he can drop the gloves last season, he's not going to inspire the fear or add the intimidation factor that Fritz or Lessard will.

Kozak couldn't even keep a place on Charlotte's roster last season, spending more in Memphis of the CHL than in the ECHL. So him getting a slot in Hartford when there's already so much depth there seems unlikely.

Old
07-27-2007, 03:26 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Honestly, I dont think there is much of a chance that Liffiton can even make it as a regular third pairing guy.
Why? Based on what? As I said, aside form a nervous first game, he looked fine (for someone playing in his first few games in the NHL).
Quote:
You really think that Liffiton did not look out of place?
No.
Quote:
I compare Liffiton to Strudwick because I see both as 7th defensman at best
Based on what I saw last year, Strudwick is not fit for 10th defenseman duties.