HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Oilers tender an offer sheet to Dustin Penner--how it affects us

Old
07-26-2007, 02:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Oilers tender an offer sheet to Dustin Penner--how it affects us

Well first off, it's for a pretty absurd amount of money...4.3 per, for 5 years(a little more than Hartnell just got)

But more importantly..what happens when Radulov scores 35 goals this year, comes up as an RFA, and someone offers him 6 million per? Would we have the cajones to match? What does Poile do? What does whomever owns the team advocate him to do?

This is a pretty scary slippery slope. I can't wait to hear what the never-reticent Burke has to say about this, and what he plans to do.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Jarnberg

I think its very scary. Weber and Suter are both RFA next off season and Radulov the next.

I don't think Mr.Poile would match a big offer and would take the picks , especially if we stay to the plan of staying on the cap floor.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think it simply means this:

Weber, if he repeats last season, will be given a contract extension at the level of Ryan Whitney (4 million a year for 6 years). I suspect Poile will make the deal extend until 1 year before UFA, so I doubt it is six years. The money should be the same. Weber this time next year will either be given an offer sheet, or he will be making 4 million.

Suter is not on Weber's level yet. Still, he has become more and more important for this teams future. I think he reached Hamhuis's level at the end of the last year,and Trotz began to trust him more than anyone in the playoffs/down the stretch. I suspect he will be given a 2-3 year deal similar to Hamhuis's numbers unless he is able to put up points similar to Weber's last year. If he does, he could get Kronwall money (3.5 million average...) My hunch is that Suter could sign a one or two year deal with the suspicion that at the conclusion of the contract he will be an all-star type defenseman.

Radulov - if Radulov is ever offered the contract that Vanek received.....well, I think we may have to walk away. I love A-rad. I love his game. We cannot afford to pay a 21 year old 7+ million a year, especially when we know so little. 5 first round picks is really not that bad compensation.....Still, I doubt Radulov is at that level next year. I believe he will hit 35 goals this year,with about 30 assists. An extension offer of around 3-3.5 million at the appropriate time should be more than fair.

Penner and Vanek are simply on a different tier. Vanek even in the 03 draft was a clear offensive phenomenon. The knock on him was always passion/defense, something that has completely changed. He had one of the best two-way years in recent memory, and the offersheet reflected that. Penner simply fits the bracket. He is worth a first, second, and third round pick because his size provides a rare element to any offensive lineup. Add to that Edmonton's desperate attitude right now, and potential new owner.......they are on a mission to improve, and they have. The Oilers have loaded up on some very talented players (the Pitkanen deal was a steal.....and the bounty for Smyth was gigantic).

In summary, I think Poile knows that we have these contracts coming up. Thankfully, we will have the time and room to make these contracts work.

07-26-2007, 04:39 PM
AdsSabresRule

How does Dustin Penner get 21 Mil over 5 years!

Why did we have a year off from hockey again?

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:41 PM
AdsSabresRule

I EASILY would have sailed Vanek and taken the 4 first round picks from EDM. Easily...Vanek ain't worth that kind of money. No way no how. Good, might be great one day...but 7 years? Nuts. Lowe got us dirty this time, pay back is a $%^&*#! As far as Radu getting that kind of money in his RFA window? Penner? No, could not do it. Too young. Too iffy...

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

I EASILY would have sailed Vanek and taken the 4 first round picks from EDM. Easily...

I would have as well.

Penner's contract is almost the same as Hartnell's contract.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:53 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post
How does Dustin Penner get 21 Mil over 5 years!

Why did we have a year off from hockey again?
Hedging on his being great and turning that 5th, 4th, and possibly 3rd year into a bargain. Or, Penner fades into mediocrity and the contract is as good as Yashin's, take the hit in year four and buy it out. He's no Getzlaf, but did impress during the Cup run with his game.

Question is, is this RFA run a fad or could this be the norm with a capped/floored CBA and earlier UFA age (or shorter RFA window, depending on how you look at it)? Teams like Washington, Nashville, and even Edmonton could be dangerous at this time of year, sure you cough up some picks, but if your team is teetering at the cap floor and feel like pulling out the wallet to spice up the roster - it can be a quick, yet pricey way to do it. Plus, you may be giving up first rounders, but if you already have a pool of prospects to develop and have done well in the 2nd and mid-rounds of the draft your franchise can still remain competitive and deep. So, a GM with a fire under his arse may be more aggressive. In the end, there is still only 54% of the pie to go around.

Just a thought. Not necessarily my sentiments.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Ek: Burke will match according to 3 sources

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:57 PM
blueNcopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Ek: Burke will match according to 3 sources
Eklunds 3 sources, let me guess..., his wife and two of his kids?

blueNcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueNcopper View Post
Eklunds 3 sources, let me guess..., his wife and two of his kids?
No, his dog, cat, and a homeless bum.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:11 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
some excellent discussion going on about this topic here---
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=405177

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:28 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
some excellent discussion going on about this topic here---
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=405177
For some reason that thread starter's avatar really bugs me.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote