HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowe and the offer sheet(s)

Old
07-27-2007, 05:32 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
There is a difference, in that there is now revenue linkage. Teams can now behave with fiscal irresponsibility without affecting the finances of the entire league. Salaries cannot escalate faster than revenues in the new system.
you have to be kidding me if you think that this is not going to affect the finances of the entire league. He's now the poster boy for comparables for all 40+ point players.

Additionally, what makes this irresponsible is that while Vanek is a great player I'm not convinced he's a player you can build around because I don't think that he can create offence on his own. Penner is a 2nd liner at best. What the Rangers did in 97 was try to get a player that you can build a franchise around at least when they did what they did they did it on one of the best players in the league and had been for 2-3 years prior. Vanek was great last year, but that's his resume so far, just last year. Penner is a player that can develope into a Bertuzzi type guy, but he can just as easily go the other way as well.

This contract will have wave like ripple effects on the league

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 06:03 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
you have to be kidding me if you think that this is not going to affect the finances of the entire league. He's now the poster boy for comparables for all 40+ point players.

Additionally, what makes this irresponsible is that while Vanek is a great player I'm not convinced he's a player you can build around because I don't think that he can create offence on his own. Penner is a 2nd liner at best. What the Rangers did in 97 was try to get a player that you can build a franchise around at least when they did what they did they did it on one of the best players in the league and had been for 2-3 years prior. Vanek was great last year, but that's his resume so far, just last year. Penner is a player that can develope into a Bertuzzi type guy, but he can just as easily go the other way as well.

This contract will have wave like ripple effects on the league
Completely agree with this. Thn have quoted unamed sources at being very angry with Lowe. Im now worried what Avery may get, will he get 3million plus? its now very possible and he isnt worth it yet.

Lowe has caused a horrible precedent. If he carries on like this the league will be like pre lock out!!!

While i disagree slightly on Vanek, i think he can and will become an elite scorer, i do think the money Lowe offered was insane.

Also, Lowe is also looking for quick fixes to save his own neck... he has talent in the ranks (o'Marra, Nilsson, Schremp, Colignao etc) but is he afraid to dress them and risk another sub par year to see the fruits of his labour go to another GM?

I hope his examples arent followed!

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 06:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Maybe Glen should get his ASS back here and talk to Sean Avery
Talk about what?These things don't get settled until right before(a few minutes before it will begin)the hearing or they don't get settled

You don't think the Rangers have tried to reach an agreement with Pat Morris?

Cam Hope is preparing the Rangers argument for the arbitration case in Toronto

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 06:20 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Talk about what?These things don't get settled until right before(a few minutes before it will begin)the hearing or they don't get settled

You don't think the Rangers have tried to reach an agreement with Pat Morris?

Cam Hope is preparing the Rangers argument for the arbitration case in Toronto
Ranger boy, was just wondering, how do you know this?

I agree too, if it gets settled before the hearing it will be so directly before. Like Emery's did.

Unfortunately Avery's negotiations will now be more complicated given what has happend with players like Penner in the last day or so.

You couldnt blame Avery for pointing to a player like Penner (48points like Avery?) and asking for more, not that i think either are worth that much...

Old
07-27-2007, 06:32 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
Ranger boy, was just wondering, how do you know this?

I agree too, if it gets settled before the hearing it will be so directly before. Like Emery's did.
The Rangers haven't had many arbitration cases with Sather as the GM.Tom Poti took them to arbitration twice in two years.He is the only Ranger player to actually reach the hearing without getting signed.The first time Poti got a big raise and the second time the Rangers requested a two year award.The lockout wiped out the second year on that contract

Anson Carter agreed before the scheduled hearing in 2003.His hearing was scheduled on a Friday in August.The day before the entire east coast had a power outage.The hearing didn't place that day.It was scheduled for Monday but a 1 year settlement was reached on Sunday night.All the parties were already in TO before the power outage

Adam Hall and Karel Rachunek signed way before their hearing dates

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 06:35 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers haven't had many arbitration cases with Sather as the GM.Tom Poti took them to arbitration twice in two years.He is the only Ranger player to actually reach the hearing without getting signed.The first time Poti got a big raise and the second time the Rangers requested a two year award.The lockout wiped out the second year on that contract

Anson Carter agreed before the scheduled hearing in 2003.His hearing was scheduled on a Friday in August.The day before the entire east coast had a power outage.The hearing didn't place that day.It was scheduled for Monday but a 1 year settlement was reached on Sunday night.All the parties were already in TO before the power outage

Adam Hall and Karel Rachunek signed way before their hearing dates
I was wondering how you knew who was preparing the Rangers case in T.O?

Old
07-27-2007, 08:32 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

At this rate in 3 years the Drury and Gomez signings will look relatively cheap.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:38 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
At this rate in 3 years the Drury and Gomez signings will look relatively cheap.
good point. If Dustin Penner is 4.3 million, Thomas (tho talented) Vanek 7.2, thena Chris Drury whose a poven winner is looking reasonable at 7.1!!!

The Penner offer is insane.

If i were an Oils fan and they get Penner, i wouldnt be happy knowing that i have 9.6million/year locked up in Penner/Souray. This is even worse when you think Oils cant afford to spend to the cap under current ownership!!!

Old
07-27-2007, 09:15 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
There are some delusional fans over on the oilers board. They're saying things like:

"The only thing we need, is a scoring left winger. That is it. I am fully confidant in all other areas right now."

People are vehemently arguing that the offer sheet is a great idea, seemingly unaware that their draft picks can turn into players if they just wait a year. All they want to do is fix their problems NOW.

The oilers make me really thankful that the Rangers are finally in a good place after being lost for so long...

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:19 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
There are some delusional fans over on the oilers board. They're saying things like:

"The only thing we need, is a scoring left winger. That is it. I am fully confidant in all other areas right now."

People are vehemently arguing that the offer sheet is a great idea, seemingly unaware that their draft picks can turn into players if they just wait a year. All they want to do is fix their problems NOW.

The oilers make me really thankful that the Rangers are finally in a good place after being lost for so long...
The Oilers smack of that same desperation that we did in the late 90's early 00's. We would have thrown 6million at Souray then... they want to hope new Owners come on board and spend to the cap otherwise they are going to be bad for a long time and that isnt good for hockey in Canada, which isnt good for hockey in general!

Old
07-27-2007, 09:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Part of what makes little sense to me is the Oilers are not one player away.

07-27-2007, 09:31 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Part of what makes little sense to me is the Oilers are not one player away.
They have a weak D, an aging goalie who isnt elite anyway (Roloson) and a lightweight and young and inexeperienced forward corps. They are a long way from being 1 player away.

To be fair, they have quite a few good prospects now especially at Forward but those guys will need 2-3 yrs development so there is going to be a lot of growing pains in Edmonton.

They are going to have to do very well to make the playoffs, in fact they are close to the lottery than they are the playoffs right now.