Old
07-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShark View Post
And that really couldn't wait until he'd made his decsion and included in a real press conference where he had something actually newsworthy to talk about?

Would it have made that much difference to voice his opions on Monday?

And don't get me wrong, I do respect Burke and hope he takes Bettman's job the second it becomes available because I think he would be great promoting the league and could really help things get back on track, but he needs to cut this kind of rubbish out.
Again, I see nothing wrong with it. Would it have made that much of a difference? No. But Burke is well known for giving his opinion on situations. It's one of the things that makes him Brian Burke. As a fan, I love that about him. I'd be willing to bet that most Anaheim fans are going to like this response, and that the ownership is also going to appreciate it.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShark View Post
And that really couldn't wait until he'd made his decsion and included in a real press conference where he had something actually newsworthy to talk about?

Would it have made that much difference to voice his opions on Monday?

And don't get me wrong, I do respect Burke and hope he takes Bettman's job the second it becomes available because I think he would be great promoting the league and could really help things get back on track, but he needs to cut this kind of rubbish out.
Not trying to bash you because I respect your opinion. However, I don't agree with that. I am personally glad he made that press conference because I think everone here on the Ducks board wanted to know more about what the Ducks were thinking, and when they might decide. He is probably talking to ownership, because he is already over the cap that they said that they would be at. Sure I wanted to know more then this, but I like how the Ducks didn't stay quiet and drive us all mad with not saying anything. Now we at least have idea on what they are thinking. So I'll take this press conference over no conference at all.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Theridion

Burke seems to be big on player personality and attitude. I don't think there's any chance that penner's offer gets matched AND he stays in Anaheim.

I am not sure what Penner is worth in trade value, but I bet you Burke would rather match the offer and trade him, than be undermined.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
Burke seems to be big on player personality and attitude. I don't think there's any chance that penner's offer gets matched AND he stays in Anaheim.

I am not sure what Penner is worth in trade value, but I bet you Burke would rather match the offer and trade him, than be undermined.
If he matches, he can't trade him for a year.

Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post

He would have to wait a year before trading him.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:42 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Transcript of conference: http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app?articl...e&service=page

That Kukla's corner summary either included comments not in this part of the conference or is pretty inaccurate. For example there's no mention of "classless" or Burke being mad about the timing with him being at the BC HOF.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Mooseduck

Here is the transcript provided by the Ducks site.

http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=335439

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:54 PM
BuchananHermit

Thanks, Moose.

BuchananHermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:57 PM
the word*

sportsnet link:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...27_211717_5856

that was fast.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Schooner Guy

Habs fan here.

I don't think Burke will match the Penner offer. I think Burke is going to let Lowe dig his own grave and take the three picks (next year's a strong draft class). $10 million committed to the likes of Souray and Penner for the next 5 years is absolutely foolish. Lowe's going to set the Oilers franchise back 10 years.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:16 PM
renodave

From the Burke press conf On the offer from Lowe:

I thought that was gutless. I have no problem with offer sheets. They’re part of the CBA [Collective Bargaining Agreement]. But in my opinion, Edmonton has offered a mostly inflated salary for a player, and I think it’s an act of desperation for a general manager who is fighting to keep his job.

Offer sheets are a part of the CBA and I have no problem with that. If you can identify a player and pay him appropriately and make him an offer, that’s fine. At some point, the deals you make, the offers you extend, whether the team matches it or not, impacts all 30 teams, including your own.

So who gets to decide what's appropriate? Ultimately, the marketplace decides. Burke pays Bertuzzi $4M/yr for 2 years - a guy who might never recover from his back injury - and then suggests that an offer for an up and coming player who scored almost 30 goals last year is over paid at $4.2 million? I don't know why he's mad at Lowe. If anything, I think he should look in the mirror, he was the one that put the Ducks in this predicament by granting Selane and Niedermeyer "all the time the needed" and then going out and signing two high priced FA's which left the team vulnerable. At a minimum, he should have asked Selane and Niedermeyer to commit one way or another before the FA period started. While it was magnanimous of him to give them more time, it was utilmately detrimental to the team.

Last edited by renodave: 07-27-2007 at 09:45 PM.
renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Habs fan here.

I don't think Burke will match the Penner offer. I think Burke is going to let Lowe dig his own grave and take the three picks (next year's a strong draft class). $10 million committed to the likes of Souray and Penner for the next 5 years is absolutely foolish. Lowe's going to set the Oilers franchise back 10 years.
10 years from one draft where he still has a first and a third? Quite the bold statement.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
10 years from one draft where he still has a first and a third? Quite the bold statement.
All this money he's tying up in Souray and potentially Penner is going to put the Oilers in a terrible position for adding actual top line talent and for retaining their own Restricted Free Agents over the next 5 years. Also, he's single-handely driving up the costs of RFA's. This will come back to hurt his own situation.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:30 PM
renodave

More from the Burke press conf:

On the negotiations the Ducks have made with Penner
[Assistant General Manager] David McNab does that for us. I believe he had one discussion with Dustin’s agent and he said he wanted to wait for a period of time. I’m not sure the offer we discussed was presented to the agent or not. You can ask the agent that or ask David McNab that. Was the offer close to the one he got? The answer is an unequivocal and instantaneous “no.”

If I ran my company the way he just described here, I wouldn't have a company. So his only key RFA is exposed out there and he might "have had one discussion with him" and "wasn't sure if the offer was presented to him or not". What business do you know of where one of your key employees could walk out the door and you don't know if you have even talked with him or not? This is how you run a business?

Last edited by renodave: 07-27-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old
07-27-2007, 09:36 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburdick View Post
If I ran my companythe way he just described here, I wouldn't have a company. So his only key RFA is exposed out there and he might "have had one discussion with him" and "wasn't sure if the offer was presented to him or not". What business do you know of where one of your key employees could walk out the door and you don't know if you have even talked with him or not? This is how you run a business?
Penner is an RFA and the Ducks gave him a qualifying offer. Burke didn't do anything wrong necessarily. Not his fault that Edmonton is throwing crazy money at RFAs this summer.

Burke is a Stanley Cup winning GM...I think he knows what he is doing.

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:43 PM
renodave

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Penner is an RFA and the Ducks gave him a qualifying offer. Burke didn't do anything wrong necessarily. Not his fault that Edmonton is throwing crazy money at RFAs this summer.

Burke is a Stanley Cup winning GM...I think he knows what he is doing.
Well you'd better tell that to Burke then, because he wasn't sure if it happened or not. I agree, he certainly knows what he's doing in how to build a Stanley Cup winning team which makes this all the more surprising to me.

Last edited by renodave: 07-27-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old
07-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Kukla

Well I can tell you we were not "pretty inaccurate". If you read other reports, like the one from the CP, you will see that mentioned.
We were giving live updates and believe it was very accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Transcript of conference: http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app?articl...e&service=page

That Kukla's corner summary either included comments not in this part of the conference or is pretty inaccurate. For example there's no mention of "classless" or Burke being mad about the timing with him being at the BC HOF.

Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:58 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburdick View Post
If I ran my company the way he just described here, I wouldn't have a company. So his only key RFA is exposed out there and he might "have had one discussion with him" and "wasn't sure if the offer was presented to him or not". What business do you know of where one of your key employees could walk out the door and you don't know if you have even talked with him or not? This is how you run a business?
Well if McNab is better suited to run negotiations, perhaps because Burke's busy at the HOF, planning next season, or whatever, then it would be a good way to run a business.

What I find interesting about the news conference is how Burke doesn't really like not being notified ahead of time by Lowe. Sure it'd be a nice courtesy, but I don't see how Lowe should feel obliged to give advance notice. What I would be annoyed by, though, is Penner's agent not notifying me ahead of time. A heads up "we got this 21.5 million offer from Lowe and plan on signing it... would you be interested in signing us last minute for 20 million or trading our rights to Edmonton for something you would prefer other than draft picks?"

Old
07-27-2007, 10:03 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr View Post
Well I can tell you we were not "pretty inaccurate". If you read other reports, like the one from the CP, you will see that mentioned.
We were giving live updates and believe it was very accurate.
Yeah I guess I should rescind that comment. Reading the CP articles it's apparent there are things Burke said not in the Ducks transcript. Looking at the block quotes it was a good summary.

Old
07-27-2007, 10:17 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Well if McNab is better suited to run negotiations, perhaps because Burke's busy at the HOF, planning next season, or whatever, then it would be a good way to run a business.

What I find interesting about the news conference is how Burke doesn't really like not being notified ahead of time by Lowe. Sure it'd be a nice courtesy, but I don't see how Lowe should feel obliged to give advance notice. What I would be annoyed by, though, is Penner's agent not notifying me ahead of time. A heads up "we got this 21.5 million offer from Lowe and plan on signing it... would you be interested in signing us last minute for 20 million or trading our rights to Edmonton for something you would prefer other than draft picks?"
Draft picks are just the mandatory compensation. Burke and Lowe are free to work out an alternate deal instead of draft picks. And how exactly would the agent be doing the best by the player to call Burke and offer to let him sign his client for 1.5M LESS than he'd get otherwise? Players gets less and the agent gets less, a lose-lose for them.

The untold story here really is that Burke isn't upset that this offer was made to Penner as much as he's furious at what it will mean for him in the 2008 offseason. It's against good sense to let a young, good player walk from a team that is a contender now in return for draft picks. However, doing the smart thing for competativness and matching puts him in a bind with Perry and Getzlaf in 2008. You can bet both of them and their agents are paying close attention to what happens with Penner, and expecting similar deals themselves. Getzlaf alone might cost 5M+ to resign now, unless Burke wants to risk another team setting his price again. It's also raising the bar on arbitration, something Kings fans should be very concerned with since Cammalleri is scheduled for a hearing and Penner's deal likely will increase his award. Even the Sharks have to be a bit concerned with Bernier, Clowe, Michalek, Goc, Ehrhoff and Carle all due to be reupped via RFA in 2008 IIRC. Kevin Lowe could have potentially screwed over all three California franchises in fell swoop.

LA could lose it's young scorer
SJ could get in trouble with the cap and lose Marleau
ANA could lose Penner and get cap strapped by Getzlaf and Perry's deals

You guys might have beaten my Wings, but I actually am pretty pissed at Lowe right now for potentially screwing over 3 teams at once. As if I needed more reasons to hate the ******* Oilers.

FissionFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 10:20 PM
fez

Yea I think he is going to let Penner walk

Thanks for the top 10 pick in a deep draft Edmonton

Oh yea and Pronger

fez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 10:57 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
And how exactly would the agent be doing the best by the player to call Burke and offer to let him sign his client for 1.5M LESS than he'd get otherwise?
Well I was thinking the agent would use it as a bargaining chip. He could try to ask for the full 21.5, but this way he builds good will, avoids having to move, gets signed now, and looks like a good guy.

As to the rest of your post, This offer probably screws more than 3 teams. It probably screws all teams that depend on good drafting and building plans. The ones who try to do it the right way, in a fiscally responsible manner and try to maintain success. It also really shortens windows of opportunity for winning.

Old
07-27-2007, 11:16 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez View Post
Yea I think he is going to let Penner walk

Thanks for the top 10 pick in a deep draft Edmonton

Oh yea and Pronger
here is the thing

looking at the oilers roster--it looks weak and silly. However(yes--I am from Edmonton and bias)--i like what the oilers did on the d-line and even if the oilers get penner--I think that they will be adding another FW from an Eastern team. I think last season the oilers were either 2-3 for injured games lost and at one point in time went with 13 rookies in their lineup for a streatch. I think the oilers will be bad and not make the playoffs, but i do not think they will be as bad as some think.

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 12:49 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Well I was thinking the agent would use it as a bargaining chip. He could try to ask for the full 21.5, but this way he builds good will, avoids having to move, gets signed now, and looks like a good guy.

As to the rest of your post, This offer probably screws more than 3 teams. It probably screws all teams that depend on good drafting and building plans. The ones who try to do it the right way, in a fiscally responsible manner and try to maintain success. It also really shortens windows of opportunity for winning.

actually who it really hurts are teams that spend a pile on older UFAs and try and get their young players signed cheap. Burke is pissed off cause he's going to lose a young player because he spent too much on UFAs and thought he'd be able to get Penner on the cheap. Not so anymore and now he's gotta worry about the same thing next year with Getzlaf and Perry.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 12:57 AM
renodave

Quote:
What does it matter how busy he was or who he delegated the task to. Is the BC HOF more important than taking care of team business? To not even know with certainty what his club's position was with respect to negotiating with the only RFA on the team, and a key one at that, is just irresponsible. There's no other way to look at it. On top of this, he had to know that Penner would be an attractive commodity as he already saw what Edmonton had done with the Vanek offer. I'm sure most GM's after seeing what Edmonton did with Vanek would increase the level of priority and energy to get their RFA's signed. The only takeaway from his press conference that I came away with was Burke trying to deflect blame from himself and put it on KLowe, and instead he revealed himself to be almost completely out of touch with a situation that was entirely predictable and under his control. He obviously is a brilliant hockey GM, but I think he completely screwed up in this case.

Last edited by renodave: 07-28-2007 at 01:04 AM.