HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should/Will NYR retire Adam Graves #9 ?

View Poll Results: Should the Rangers RETIRE #9 ?
Yes, retire #9 116 48.33%
No, don't retire #9 100 41.67%
I don't know 24 10.00%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2007, 11:48 AM
GarretJoseph*

vCash: 500
Should/Will NYR retire Adam Graves #9 ?

Adam Graves played with a lot of heart and had quite a few good seasons with us. He broke the single season goal scoring record for us in 94'.

This has nothing to do with "Not until Leetch goes up" or anything else. Simply put Should The Rangers RETIRE #9 in honor of Adam?

NHL TOTALS -

1152 Games Played 329 GOALS 287 A 616PTS 1224 PIM

Rangers total - 279 Goals.

Old
07-28-2007, 11:57 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
No and no.

Great sentimental favorite, but I'm not keen on retiring everyone's number.

Old
07-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No and no.

Great sentimental favorite, but I'm not keen on retiring everyone's number.
exactly. i like the fact that it is so special for the rangers to retire a number. honestly, i don't want to have a number retired every year like jersey

Old
07-28-2007, 12:21 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
exactly. i like the fact that it is so special for the rangers to retire a number. honestly, i don't want to have a number retired every year like jersey
He was a great Ranger had a few great seasons but not worth a retired number.

Old
07-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Plato

vCash: 100000
No.

Old
07-28-2007, 12:24 PM
chip chipperson*

great rangers get their numbers retired, graves was a great ranger i think he deserves it. he might not have great offensive numbers but he was one of the reasons why we won the cup in 94. it should happen.

Old
07-28-2007, 12:27 PM
gravy121

He's my favorite, but I'm not for retiring the number. Hanging up the number is and should be the pentimulate honor. There are many in the past NYR history that deserve it as much if not more.
One of the greatest aspects of Adam was his the way he played all out, but never in the spotlight. He was modest, and i think the greatest honor we as Ranger fans (and Edm and Det to an extent) can give is to just realize we witnessed one of the greatest players - not in ability, but in playing the game the rigtht way. Glad he is still part of the organization.

Old
07-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

no...but...i'd like the new arena to eventually have some sort of Rangers Hall of Fame..I can see the Rangers inducting Graves into something like that..

Old
07-28-2007, 12:44 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
great rangers get their numbers retired, graves was a great ranger i think he deserves it. he might not have great offensive numbers but he was one of the reasons why we won the cup in 94. it should happen.
Guess we should retire Kovalev and Matteau and Noonan and Lowe. They were all one of the reasons for '94, especially Kovalev who put up more points than Graves in that run.

Graves was a good player who had one very good season. Offensive forwards who average 50 points a year are not retiring-worthy. Yeah, I know he brought intangibles but nothing worth even being considered for this stuff.

There is a substantial line of players who deserve the honor ahead of Graves.

There are ex-Rangers who are in the HOF whose numbers are not retired. Graves is going to the HOF only if he visits.

Old
07-28-2007, 01:14 PM
pld459666

I also agree that the honor should be kept special and for those players that have earned it.

BUT, I think that Graves meant so much to the on ice success that we enjoyed during his time here. The fact is that without his contributons we do not win the cup.

I also think that it's important to honor the man for all that he did for the people of NYC and the time effort and dedication he put forth for this city is second to none.

I voted yes to retire the number because that's how I feel, but if they don't that's fine as well.

Outside of putting the number on the shelf, they should do something special for he to recognize his contributions to the team, organizational and city

Old
07-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Nich

honestly, we have honored Graves enough. thats why he was hired back into our org in a prominent role

Old
07-28-2007, 01:28 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

If Frank Boucher and Bill Cook aren't in the rafters, neither is Adam Graves. Both deserve it more than Graves, and I'm a HUGE Adam Graves fan.

Old
07-28-2007, 01:30 PM
blue2noise

I voted yes, but I think Leetch needs to go first. After Graves, no one else unless they are home grown legends.

Old
07-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I voted yes, but I think Leetch needs to go first. After Graves, no one else unless they are home grown legends.
but once you make a exception you open the door for others honestly. there are 4-5 players that should be retired before gravey....and i love the guy as well

Old
07-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yes, i think he should. he probably meant more to the community at large than leetch or messier.

to me, his case is more of, on and off the ice, rather than just on the ice. he should be rewarded for not only being a great Ranger, but being an even better humanitarian.

with that said, i think a few others deserve to be up there as well.

however if you asked me "would they" id say no, theyll never retire his number.

Old
07-28-2007, 02:39 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I Love him and he's got a heart of gold but he doesn't deserve to have his number retired.

Old
07-28-2007, 02:48 PM
fes

Loved Gravy, my favorite Ranger of all time, but No.

Old
07-28-2007, 03:22 PM
cityhockeyfever

We have to think of what Adam Graves did overall for the organization besides his on-ice contributions. Yes, he didn't put up the monumental numbers over the course of his NHL career or more so as a Ranger. While there are arguments for other great players that donned the Rangers uniform that may be more worthy of such a recognition of a number being retired, Graves was a huge part of why the New York Rangers won their only Stanley Cup championship in the last 67 years. Without him, we cannot say for sure the Rangers would've won it all that season.

We can bring up Stephane Matteau's memorable goal or Alexei Kovalev or Brian Noonan or Kevin Lowe or better yet Glenn Anderson all we want, but Graves as one of the leaders in the locker room and the little things he was able to do on the ice made a difference. Brian Leetch undoubtedly will have his #2 retired, but while I cannot say for sure the Rangers will do the same for Graves, I'd support it if he gets that honor.

Even though that Graves is definitely not Hockey Hall of Fame calibre, this is a team honor here. However, I do understand that we cannot cheapen it. So whatever the Rangers do, I'm sure they'll do the right thing.

Old
07-28-2007, 03:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Create an award that would go to the Rangers who does the most on and off the ice and name it the Adam Graves award.

I will not and, in my opinion, should not have his number retired. That is reserved for the best of the best.

07-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Create an award that would go to the Rangers who does the most on and off the ice and name it the Adam Graves award.

I will not and, in my opinion, should not have his number retired. That is reserved for the best of the best.
i personally keep waffleing on the question. its really hard to say. clearly he wasnt good enough skill wise, or at least, not for a long enough period of time. but he certainly was more important to the community, and to the fans than any other ranger i can think of.

Old
07-28-2007, 03:55 PM
cityhockeyfever

It's one of the most difficult questions to answer in terms of whether an important player in franchise history is worthy of a number retirement. It really is. So many factors come into play and unless the contributions are unparalleled like Mark Messier's has or the other number retirees, it will always be up for debate regarding players such as Adam Graves.

If the Rangers can have a Steven McDonald Award every year, why not have something done in honor of Graves?
If the team doesn't retire his number, the least they can do is have an award after him.

Old
07-28-2007, 03:58 PM
in the hall

I wish you guys knew how great this man is. IMO his work for the Rangers and the community after his career was over gave him the extra he needed to be honored in this way.

Old
07-28-2007, 04:15 PM
broadwayblue

No. I want the club to include only elite players. He's close, but if you retire #9 you have to add a bunch of other numbers too. If a guy is borderline than he shouldn't make the cut. I agree with the idea of an Adam Graves award. Recognize his selfless service to the community and the team. He deserves it. But his number shouldn't be retired.

Old
07-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Gandrigor

If they are going to retire that number it should be for Andy Bathgate.

Old
07-28-2007, 04:22 PM
fes

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
I wish you guys knew how great this man is. IMO his work for the Rangers and the community after his career was over gave him the extra he needed to be honored in this way.

We are quite aware of how great this man is. His contributions to the community are well documented even though his humble nature would never seek any kind of credit for them. He was a great and loyal teamate, always willing to stick up for any of his guys, he did the dirty work that ended his career prematurely and never once complained about it. Off the ice, he was a humanitarian, a giving person who went above and beyond time and time again.
Adam Graves is and was a great human being and a good hockey player. That doesnt get your number retired. Name an award after him like someone said but number 9 stays down until a great PLAYER wears it for a long time as a Ranger

Closed Thread