HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should/Will NYR retire Adam Graves #9 ?

View Poll Results: Should the Rangers RETIRE #9 ?
Yes, retire #9 116 48.33%
No, don't retire #9 100 41.67%
I don't know 24 10.00%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Retiring a player's number should be about what he did on the ice--not what he's done for the community. Graves had several good seasons here, but there are a number of others, long retired, who had equal or better careers here on the ice. So, no Graves should not have his number retired.

Old
07-28-2007, 04:45 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Guess we should retire Kovalev and Matteau and Noonan and Lowe. They were all one of the reasons for '94, especially Kovalev who put up more points than Graves in that run.

Graves was a good player who had one very good season. Offensive forwards who average 50 points a year are not retiring-worthy. Yeah, I know he brought intangibles but nothing worth even being considered for this stuff.

There is a substantial line of players who deserve the honor ahead of Graves.

There are ex-Rangers who are in the HOF whose numbers are not retired. Graves is going to the HOF only if he visits.
no you don't retire all those guys. and none that you have mentioned were better rangers than graves. a lot of people on here so far said that you only retire the elite numbers. do you guys really consider richter elite? he won't go down as one of the greatest goalies ever, american yes but not overall. yet we were so quick to retire his number and why because of what he meant for the rangers. i love richter don't get me wrong, but graves was also a major player in 94, what he did for the community and what he always did for his teamates imo puts him up there. he broke a huge ranger record that stood for 22 years and the only guy that broke that is jagr a guy going into the hall of fame and a guy who some people on other threads mentioned that if we win the cup this year you retire his number.

Old
07-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Nich

richter is one of the greatest if not the greatest american goalie....so yes he was elite.....

and come on....richter was by far the bigger star than graves, during 94 and the rest of his career

Old
07-28-2007, 05:39 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
richter is one of the greatest if not the greatest american goalie....so yes he was elite.....

and come on....richter was by far the bigger star than graves, during 94 and the rest of his career
i'm not saying he's not but he won't go down as one of the greatest goalies ever. lets stick to graves my fault for going a little off topic.

Last edited by chip chipperson*: 07-28-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old
07-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Nich

i will put it to you this way, Graves isn't even the greatest Ranger to wear number nine...and no i do not mean bure....

and honestly, if they retired bathgates number i would have no problem with that...he was a elite player who deserved it.

Last edited by Nich: 07-28-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old
07-28-2007, 06:10 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
This has nothing to do with "Not until Leetch goes up" or anything else. Simply put Should The Rangers RETIRE #9 in honor of Adam?
It's not Leetch that you should be concerned with in this situation. If the #9 is to be retired, Andy Bathgate must be honored first.

Old
07-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
It's not Leetch that you should be concerned with in this situation. If the #9 is to be retired, Andy Bathgate must be honored first.
amen....but i don't see it happening

Old
07-28-2007, 07:23 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i will put it to you this way, Graves isn't even the greatest Ranger to wear number nine...and no i do not mean bure....

and honestly, if they retired bathgates number i would have no problem with that...he was a elite player who deserved it.

Agree. I don't mind Graves number being retired--it's just Bathgate wore the same number and deserves it even more. Maybe it could be retired as Bathgate/Graves.

Old
07-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Fletch

Graves is one of my favorite players...

my thought, no - much like my favorite all-time baseball player, #9, Graig Nettles, who wowed us with defensive prowess in the World Series, hit a fair amount of home runs, and whose name/number is nowhere near being retired. A similar standard should be held to one of my favorite hockey players, Adam Graves.

Old
07-28-2007, 08:31 PM
RFAN

As much as I love Gravey...

no way in hell should his number go to the rafters. He was great just not that great. Also as some have said Bathgate wore 9 and he never was retired so again no way.

Old
07-28-2007, 09:26 PM
chip chipperson*

so from what i'm reading from a lot of people you guys are saying that if bathgate and all the other guys from the past that might have gotten passed over, got their numbers retired that it is then ok to retire graves' number 9. if you say that you are agreeing that his number should be retired. don't hold it against graves that other guys didn't get their numbers in the rafters. if you clearly say no, that is one thing but don't say yes if other guys get their number up there first.

Old
07-28-2007, 10:37 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
That is reserved for the best of the best.
To me, the issue is not overall excellence. One need not have their # retired by their team only if they are in or on their way to the HOF. Graves need not have been a great player, but a great Ranger. Which to me, when taking everything (on and off the ice) into consideration, he was. My issue is that there are people who have held the #9 (like Bathgate) or have accomplished great things as a Ranger (back to the days of Ching Johnson) who have accomplished as much if not more than Graves when wearing the Rangers uniform. Can Graves have his jersey retired and not someone like Ratelle?

Old
07-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Fletch

If you raise Graves', though...

you should be raising Park's, Dave Maloney's, Ron Greschner's, among many others who were great Rangers, and perhaps for longer than Graves was. The difference being they weren't part of a Cup winning team and the memory isn't as recent. As SBoB stated - that should be reserved for the best. Perhaps not hall of fame, but I think with Graves there's more emotion involved due to the Cup and how good a guy he was, and how we all connected with him.

Old
07-29-2007, 06:31 AM
eco's bones

Brad Park wore # 2 like Leetch. Park was the best defenseman not named Orr in the NHL at least until Potvin came along. I'm not sure Park is still working in our organization but that might be why the holdup on anything regarding Leetch's number being retired. Park was a fantastic defenseman. Offensively excellent--defensively very good. His submarine hip checks were lethal and he wasn't afraid to drop the gloves either. Comparing players from different eras is always subjective but saying Park was an equal player to Leetch is not a stretch.

Back to Graves and Bathgate. Andy is an HOF'er and arguably the best Ranger forward ever. He certainly was the best Ranger player for a long stretch. So Bathgate definitely was the better player between him and Graves. With Graves and Leetch being key players on the '94 team that ended the curse--something still fresh in the minds of Rangers fans everywhere comes these retiring numbers ideas. Having done Messier and Richter I don't see how they can't do Leetch but I wonder 'What about Park?'. On Graves--I don't know. Anyway one retirement number ceremony a year seems good enough for me.

Old
07-29-2007, 07:01 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
he broke a huge ranger record that stood for 22 years...
The guy whose record he broke doesn't have his number retired and that fellow was more worthy than Graves based on on-ice performance. So I assume you are in favor of retiring his # too.

Oops. Too late.

Old
07-29-2007, 07:04 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
you should be raising Park's, Dave Maloney's, Ron Greschner's, among many others who were great Rangers, and perhaps for longer than Graves was. The difference being they weren't part of a Cup winning team and the memory isn't as recent. As SBoB stated - that should be reserved for the best. Perhaps not hall of fame, but I think with Graves there's more emotion involved due to the Cup and how good a guy he was, and how we all connected with him.
Leetch should never have gotten the opportunity to wear #2.

Old
07-29-2007, 07:17 AM
nyrage

A good player, a better man. My favorite Ranger of all time, but no. I agree with the others, honor him with an award, but not with retiring his number.

Old
07-29-2007, 09:56 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The guy whose record he broke doesn't have his number retired and that fellow was more worthy than Graves based on on-ice performance. So I assume you are in favor of retiring his # too.

Oops. Too late.
read my other posts. i'm talking about graves' number being retired not hadfield. stick to the topic. the question is should or will the rangers retire graves number. imo they should but they won't. don't write any more posts saying they need to retire other numbers before graves.

Old
07-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
as much as I like Gravy...He shouldnt be up there... if you are going to put him up there then how many other 300 career goal players go up there? Bathgate is even more deserving with almost 1000 career points and a decade as a blueshirt!

Old
07-29-2007, 05:21 PM
chosen

Quote:
read my other posts. i'm talking about graves' number being retired not hadfield. stick to the topic. the question is should or will the rangers retire graves number. imo they should but they won't. don't write any more posts saying they need to retire other numbers before graves.
You retire a player's # to honor his time spent wearing the jersey, not his off ice behavior. Graves was as classy an individual as to ever wear the uniform and knowing him he would probably turn it down out of modesty and embarrassment if it was even suggested.

If the argument is to include the fact of winning the Cup then I would say that Kovalev was more important to the Cup victory than Graves, at least certainly every bit as important.

It's hard to believe that anyone older than 16 could believe that Graves deserves an honor that so very few have gotten in the history of the franchise. Arguably one of the top 5 defensemen in the history of the entire league did not have his Rangers jersey retired. Under what set of criteria could Graves even come close to that level of play?

Don't bother dictating what I or anyone else can write. You can write whatever nonsense you want. So can all the rest of us, barring the administrators tossing us.

Old
07-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Garv23

Graves is probably my favorite Ranger ever. The guy played with more heart and guts than most. That said, I don't think he deserves the # retired. I just don't think his stats are # retire worthy. He'd no doubt say the same thing.

Old
07-29-2007, 07:28 PM
True Blue

Quote:
That's the problem. One cannot simply address Gravy's # being retired without including the other factors that various people are mentioning. You cannot put up such a post and expect others respond to it with blinders on.

Old
07-29-2007, 07:30 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
i say no

If there's talk about retiring any #9 then personally I do not think Graves is worthy of his number retired; and if anything Andy Bathgate deserves it more than him.

Old
07-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Fletch

devito...

I think Chosen's point is if you put in Graves because he scored 52 goals in a season, and 260 or 270 in his career as a Ranger, perhaps Hadfield should've been considered for scoring two less goals and about the same amount in his career. In other words, how do you put one in without the other. I'd argue that Graves, to me, is a bit above Hadfield (a bit), but the point is why Graves over Hadfield? It's pretty relevant to the thread.

Old
07-29-2007, 08:57 PM
chip chipperson*

all right everyone and especially you chosen, the point is do you retire graves number. not do you retire graves number even though there are hall of famers that didn't get their number retired. don't hold it against graves that past rangers didn't get their numbers retired. look, we all know that its most likely not going to happen, but that doesn't mean he is not deserving. you guys make it seem like if bathgate, cook, park and boucher just to name a few got their numbers retired, that you would then be ok to retire graves' number 9. if you agree to that than you are agreeing that graves' number belongs in the rafters. that is my point when talking about past rangers. this is about graves its either yes or no. not "bathgate should get his up there first."

so chosen if you want to write another post about kovalev go ahead waste your time.

Last edited by chip chipperson*: 07-29-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Closed Thread