Stars Shift in Philosophy

Old
07-22-2007, 11:24 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Stars Shift in Philosophy

You need to check out this article from Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning news:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.36ed081.html

It has some great quotes from Doug Armstrong and Les Jackson about the upcoming prospect camp.

Les Jackson - "We have focused our drills and our meetings on offensive skills, but we're also focusing on getting the players to think about creativity."

Doug Armstrong - "We've been pushing in this direction, but we're pushing even harder now. The way the league is set up, you need to develop as much skill as you can."

What do ya'll think about this change in Starís philosophy?

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 03:54 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I'm all for it.

"Boring" hockey may be successful, as teams like the Stars and Devils have proven, but it's just that; boring. Dallas needs more offense, and players like Modano and Jokinen should be able to utilize their offensive creativity to a greater extent while not IGNORING the defensive aspect of the game, but rather tipping the scales more in offense's favour, if that makes sense.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 04:40 AM
BGDDYKWL

That's all fine and well, and in that they scored less goals than any team that made the playoffs other than Vancouver, obviously they need to improve offensively. But the most glaring problem this team had for much of the season IMO was their lack of anything resembling physical play. I realize Barnaby, Lindros, and Ott were all hurt for much of the year, and they did go out and get guys like Winchester and Fedoruk (and hopefully Barch will see some action as well), but I would like to see this team adopt a much more physical style and actually be at least somewhat difficult to play against. Because they were the definition of soft last year. Not fun to watch at all.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Svensken

Finally. Hooray for more offensive youngster on the roster.

Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 08:54 AM
lammy

The Stars have a lot of work to do if they want to have a creative offensive team! Allowing their prospects to dangle at a camp may be a start, but man, they have a long way to go. Their personal is wired to play `Devils' hockey. Dump it out, dump it up, dump it in seems to be preached in Iowa. I hope they allow for creativity but I doubt the coaches could stomach any of the mistakes that come along with creativity.

lammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Stevonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Pillard32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyrichter View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.
Too true.

Pillard32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Kevin Wey

One thing that should really help with creativity in Iowa is Toby Petersen. I was hoping the Stars would sign him. He was the heart and soul of the I-Stars in 2005-06. He hustled on offense and created a lot of plays (which really helped Junior Lessard a lot) and he hustled back on defense, blocked shots, did everything.

I suspect Lessard will be on his right wing to start the season and there's a good chance that James Neal will be on his left, if Neal doesn't crack Dallas from the get-go (I suspect Neal will start in Iowa, but could easily be a recall). After that, we'll see how the swarm of talented forwards sorts out. Man, the I-Stars are going to have a great line-up at forward.

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 02:41 PM
streakie

Send a message via Yahoo to streakie
I too was happy about the signing of Petersen, and I agree that Iowa should have great depth this year, it should be fun for you guys.

streakie is offline   Reply With Quote