HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Rebuild While Winning

Old
07-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Rangers Rebuild While Winning

I think this latest article from BB is really on the mark.

Give it a read and give your take.

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:26 PM
NYR1724

Terrific article. Dubi's writing makes the off-season move a little bit quicker.

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Yeah i read that earlier today. On the peachy side for sure, but its an accurate picture of whats gone on the past 10 seasons or so leading up to this year.

Things sure have changed.

It made me happy reading that.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:37 PM
BigE

Dubi? Would this be the same chap that told everyone that would listen that the Rangers weren't going to sign anyone during the offseason?

BB is a dedicated fansite, but it demands that you take everything with a grain of salt.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Dubi? Would this be the same chap that told everyone that would listen that the Rangers weren't going to sign anyone during the offseason?

BB is a dedicated fansite, but it demands that you take everything with a grain of salt.
Yeah... He said the Rangers would land Stefan.

Maybe he didnt want to jinx them...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:57 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Someone send that article to Kevin Lowe.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

Yes, indeed...And I think the same guy (definetely the same site, I might be confusing him with their prospect maven) that thought we were partially mortgaging our future in the poor trade for Avery..In any event, IMO, BB had always tended to go too far in their rating/evaluation of our prospects (and their readiness) and the call for their playing time over vets (and the associated criticism of Renney/Sather)..

That's why I was surprised by this article. As with every essay penned by Dubi, it is quite well written...Still, I was surprised at how even handed and fair this article was in its' review/summary of events and decisions(hindsight always helps!) of the past few years..And, uncharacteristcally, I agree with almost everything that was said...The Rangers have done an excellent job the past few years in putting together a deep and winning team AND organization that has a very bright future..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 01:49 PM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Quote:

i think he was laying out his worst case scenario in that article, he never said that the rangers wouldn't sign anyone as a statement of fact

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:43 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:

Ummm, yeah... that's what an opinion is. That's pretty much how it works. Somebody gives an opinion and you take it with a grain of salt. Just like when you or anybody else gives an opinion... it will be taken with a grain of salt. Are there really any writers out there whose articles you view as the word of God?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 03:24 PM
94now

Dawes will follow Kondratiev (who, unlike J.Ward, was not traded for a valuable asset as stated in the article), IMO. Hossa will stay. He is #1 Straka replacement should he goes down with injury and possibility is high since Marty opted not to do the surgery on his shoulder. Hossa is another Renney's product that author failed to put in line with D. Moore, Hollweg, Prucha and other forwards.
Overall good summary of what we all know, although Rozsival was omitted as if he was a veteran.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 03:27 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Ummm, yeah... that's what an opinion is. That's pretty much how it works. Somebody gives an opinion and you take it with a grain of salt. Just like when you or anybody else gives an opinion... it will be taken with a grain of salt. Are there really any writers out there whose articles you view as the word of God?
well, for me it's bob mckenzie if we're talking about non-ranger writers and i'm not being a smart-ass when i say that...but yeah you're right in general.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 04:32 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
well, for me it's bob mckenzie if we're talking about non-ranger writers and i'm not being a smart-ass when i say that...but yeah you're right in general.
Does Bob McKenzie write anything more substantial than the really short blurbs they have on TSN.ca? Anything that is full-article length? I enjoy reading his stuff but I'd like to find something a bit longer.

I've always liked Larry Wigge's articles. In my opinion he does great work. They're featured on NHL.com sometimes.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 12:12 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Some opinions are more respected than others.

Thanks for chipping in, though; 189 posts makes me wonder why you don't do it more often.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 04:47 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Does Bob McKenzie write anything more substantial than the really short blurbs they have on TSN.ca? Anything that is full-article length? I enjoy reading his stuff but I'd like to find something a bit longer.

I've always liked Larry Wigge's articles. In my opinion he does great work. They're featured on NHL.com sometimes.

good point on mckenzie...although that tirade he had not too long ago on his fellow canadian media about the preds move was golden.

and yes, i too have been a wigge fan for a while also, dating back to the sporting news days. good job reminding me.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 09:11 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Some opinions are more respected than others.
Oh sure. And obviously it's a matter of perspective. But in this specific case, and while uncle Larry may have nailed it(surprisingly), what would have been more realistic... the Rangers getting neither Gomez nor Drury or the Rangers getting both? Unless you have an actual crystal ball or just like to really put it out there, the eventual reality wasn't exactly highly predictable.

And in the case of these columns and the whole "taking with a grain of salt" issue, the size of the grain also depends on the type of opinion. A writer may indeed be more suited to prognosticate on outcomes when the knowledge of roster and players etc. is already known to them. As opposed to other issues like off season player movement. A person can be brilliant at one type of math and an idiot at another is what I'm trying to say

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 03:45 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah i read that earlier today. On the peachy side for sure, but its an accurate picture of whats gone on the past 10 seasons or so leading up to this year.

Things sure have changed.

It made me happy reading that.

Things have changed is an understatement. How often do you see an entire organisation change its culture and habits and have so much relative success so quickly.

It took balls (which was definitely necessary) to do what was done. Essentially Sather and co. put their jobs on the line when they made the cut....

thank god they did...

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote