HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Smelly Pads

Old
07-30-2007, 08:44 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Something that works for your gloves and skates is the dryer things(the things you put in the dryer) I don't know what they are called but you put them in the dryer to make the stuff smell good. Just put some of those in your skates and gloves.

dryer sheets? how well do they work?

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 09:42 AM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I have the same problem here. My hockey equipment and bad just STINKS. my car stinks. my friend puked after getting into my car the other day. Febreeze made thigns worse! my equipment is now banned from the house. i don't wanna keep that outside. Any ideas or suggestions? Anything to unsmell my car now? lol.
dude, that is hardcore...damn!

we've got a guy on our team that i hate to sit next to on the bench (thankfully i'm a forward and he plays D so i rarely sit by him...) because he smells soooooooooo bad!! the whole team jokes with him about it, and he even stuck all his gear in one of those ozone things but it didn't work....i think he likes it that way though....he keeps opposing forwards out of our zone with his smell alone LOL

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Z4dfence

Send a message via AIM to Z4dfence
http://www.sinkthestink.com/

Z4dfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 11:07 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
dude, that is hardcore...damn!

we've got a guy on our team that i hate to sit next to on the bench (thankfully i'm a forward and he plays D so i rarely sit by him...) because he smells soooooooooo bad!! the whole team jokes with him about it, and he even stuck all his gear in one of those ozone things but it didn't work....i think he likes it that way though....he keeps opposing forwards out of our zone with his smell alone LOL
yea, my friend has a queasy stomache and the smell sent him off. lol. It doesn't bother me, but none of my friends want to ride in my car anymore, which is a problem. I need to get rid of the stink from my car, as well as my hockey equipment and bag asap.!

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
yea, my friend has a queasy stomache and the smell sent him off. lol. It doesn't bother me, but none of my friends want to ride in my car anymore, which is a problem. I need to get rid of the stink from my car, as well as my hockey equipment and bag asap.!

a car wash with the windows down.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Joe Cole

Smelly pads....what are they feeding you.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 12:37 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Smelly pads....what are they feeding you.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Bet there are more then a few people wondering what the heck you are talking about. Good one Pheebs.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
MacBeatsPang

I use this stuff:

http://www.epuck.com/webapp/wcs/stor...tegory_rn=4922

It doesn't get rid of the smell as much as keep it from setting in and getting really bad. I spray down my shin pads, elbow pads, gloves, inside my helmet and skates with it after each game. I play roller hockey and wash my Mission Thorax girdle (plastic inserts removed) and padded shirt on gentle cycle in the washing machine along with my pants, jersey and socks, and they come out fine. (I've also done this with ice pants, but it wears them down a bit quicker). Just avoid the dryer for anything with foam in it.

MacBeatsPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 05:14 PM
nodq

I wouldn't bother with that spray or the sinkthestink stuff. Just use ammonia as i stated earlier. It's cheaper and you can get it anywhere.

As far as the water debate, i think your skates being damp from water is a hell of a lot safer for your skate than sweat, so make your own judgment there.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 05:17 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
dryer sheets? how well do they work?
Dryer sheets/Fabric Softner sheets work maintain a fresh smell and they do absorb some of the stink, but they won't work if your stuff smells reallly bad. I always have one in my bag and i wash my gear as stated earlier and I'm willing to bet my gear smells better than all of your guys' gear.

Old
07-30-2007, 05:21 PM
nodq

In case any of you guys were curious about these

They suck. I got one for Christmas and since i started using it, my gear has smelled worse than before when i used to hang dry it.

Old
07-30-2007, 06:49 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodq View Post
I wouldn't bother with that spray or the sinkthestink stuff. Just use ammonia as i stated earlier. It's cheaper and you can get it anywhere.

As far as the water debate, i think your skates being damp from water is a hell of a lot safer for your skate than sweat, so make your own judgment there.
Use Amonia and your very likely to have an uninvited visitor using your gear as its toilet. ESP if there are cats around.

Find a local OZONE sport cleaner. Total DRY PROCESS Turn around time is about 1 hr for your entire kit. Goalie is about 1.5hrs for more time to get the Ozone into the leg pads.

Mix 3 parts water to 1 part Isopropyl Alcohol. This will NOT affect padding or glues. Mist the gear inside and out very heavily. Allow to dry away from sunlight or any heat source. Repeat with light mistings every day and after each use. Do not leave your gear in a closed bag for much more than the drive home. White vineger also works as an anti-pet deterent. It leaves an oder behind that you wont be able to smell but cats and doghs will very easily and they dont like it. It will also remove sweat/salt stains from leather.

Shaving cream does work but for the life of your gear use saddle soap for any real leather components that have gotten stiff. Neatsfoot oil also works well but again not on synthetics. If you put a dab on the material and it kinda just sits on the surface and smears around rather than soak in, its synthetic...stop.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 07:30 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Quote:
I had a teammate who puked when he opened his own bag He opened it, it stunk as usual...but also found the remanants of a mouse in there from his cats cause he leaves his stuff in the garage.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 02:13 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Use Amonia and your very likely to have an uninvited visitor using your gear as its toilet. ESP if there are cats around.
Well my stuff is not accessible to our two cats, and the ammonia smell is gone in a day or two, leaving your gear smelling like new.

I have never done the ozone thing (other than the ozone treatment in the PowerDry bag, which sucks). Not sure how much it is either.

The way I described cost less than $10.

Too each his own, i guess. I'm just glad their are SOME players who try to make their gear not reek so bad that others players feel nauseous.

Old
07-31-2007, 07:02 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
I had a teammate who puked when he opened his own bag He opened it, it stunk as usual...but also found the remanants of a mouse in there from his cats cause he leaves his stuff in the garage.
And that's why my car stinks so bad, cause I'm not putting my stuff in my garage. lol.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 10:10 AM
dbbourn

vCash: 50
I had a buddy of mine puke from my equipment once. I'm glad that I am not the only one who has that story. Since then I have taken very good care of my equipment and have dried it out after every use. It has been the best way to handle the smell by far.

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
XweekendwarriorX

I just washed all my stuff in my bath tub. it took me 2 cycles i washed the pans and shin pads and the water turned so brown and nasty i filled it all back up with stuff for the shoulder pads and gloves and elbow pads. i have it drying in a spare room with the AC unit on it and a a ceiling fan and a regular ground fan on it. i will see tomorrow how the smell is and honestly i have the worst stench from my equipment from high school and JR and that never being washed once and only getting new shoulder pads in that time frame makes it nasty.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:53 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

i tried the 3 parts water to 1 part Isopropyl Alcohol today on my backup skates to see how that will work on the odor. my skates dont have a strong were it bothers other people, there is just enough that it bothers me.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote