HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would be the biggest thing to happen in Metro area sports?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2007, 10:51 AM
  #51
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Can anyone even name 3 players on the Red Bulls? I know I cant name one and I doubt many people on here can. So how it would fit on that list is a questionmark.
And likewise I couldn't name a single player on the St Johns or Rutgers team, as well as the SI Yanks or Brooklyn Mets. Yet those teams are included on the list.

Look, I'm not saying that the Red Bulls are more popular than those other teams, just saying that they are indeed a professional team and MLS is a major league no matter how much some people disdain it.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 11:00 AM
  #52
otterulz
 
otterulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Flushing
Country: South Korea
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
Wait, so you know for sure they sold 50,000 out of 80,000 at Giants stadium just for Beckham?
No, I'm just clarifying what he said. I have no clue how many tickets they've sold, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's around what he claims.

I'm not a football fan but obviously it's huge. But are the Giants more popular than the Yankees? When the Giants are winning, what's the media coverage like? Or Jets too for that matter? Is this more of a football town than baseball?

And I agree with those who said that when the Knicks were winners, they were indeed the talk of the town.

otterulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 11:59 AM
  #53
DevFan-RU-
Registered User
 
DevFan-RU-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 11,057
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
ESPN does not currently have a revenue-sharing deal with the MLS. They pay the MLS a fee to broadcast their games.
I stand corrected.

But it doesn't mean MLS revenues touch that of the NHL.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 12:25 PM
  #54
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
In terms of talent level:
NFL=#1 football league in the world
NBA=#1 Basketball league in the world
NHL=#1 hockey league in the world
MLB=#1 baseball league in the world
NCAA BBall and Football=#2 leagues in the world for their respective sports.

Where does MLS rank amongst the various professional soccer leagues? I'd be willing to bet they are not in the top-5.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 12:30 PM
  #55
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
50,000 is realistic, but they are not going to see the Red Bulls, they are going to see Beckham. I could be wrong, but I think the success of the MLS and their teams is due to the popularity of the SPORT, not the teams themselves. What I mean is people will go see the red bulls or their local team because they love the game of soccer. They played it as a kid or coach or whatever. However, they are not necessarily a fan of the red bulls or dc united. I wouldn't be surprised if 1/2 the people at a red bulls game do not know ANYTHING about the players on the team OR the other team. They are there to see good soccer and that is the best they can get in this neck of the woods.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 01:03 PM
  #56
otterulz
 
otterulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Flushing
Country: South Korea
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
50,000 is realistic, but they are not going to see the Red Bulls, they are going to see Beckham. I could be wrong, but I think the success of the MLS and their teams is due to the popularity of the SPORT, not the teams themselves. What I mean is people will go see the red bulls or their local team because they love the game of soccer. They played it as a kid or coach or whatever. However, they are not necessarily a fan of the red bulls or dc united. I wouldn't be surprised if 1/2 the people at a red bulls game do not know ANYTHING about the players on the team OR the other team. They are there to see good soccer and that is the best they can get in this neck of the woods.
Yeah, that's pretty much the case. You'll have your handful of fans who love the team, the league, and are very passionate about it. The rest are probably very casual fans and just soccer fans. There's a reason you'll see youth soccer groups out in droves. Then you throw in the media hoopla surrounding Beckham who's the only famous soccer player people can name and they'll come out just to be part of the spectacle.

otterulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 01:08 PM
  #57
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
exactly otter. I played soccer for 1 year as a kid and I remember we had a league outing to see the NY Express, which was the MISL team at the Colliseum. I remember they played the Comets, but we didn't care who actually won the game. It was a long time ago, but I remember there was entire sections of leagues and teams. I had friends who played on travel teams and other house leagues, and they all went to Express games with their leagues/teams.


Last edited by patnyrnyg: 07-30-2007 at 01:49 PM.
patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 01:45 PM
  #58
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
I stand corrected.

But it doesn't mean MLS revenues touch that of the NHL.
And not one person here said that it does.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 02:32 PM
  #59
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
In terms of talent level:
NFL=#1 football league in the world
NBA=#1 Basketball league in the world
NHL=#1 hockey league in the world
MLB=#1 baseball league in the world
NCAA BBall and Football=#2 leagues in the world for their respective sports.

Where does MLS rank amongst the various professional soccer leagues? I'd be willing to bet they are not in the top-5.
Yeah thats the thing. Despite the league's name, compared to the rest of the soccer leagues in the world MLS is definitely not a "Major League"

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 02:40 PM
  #60
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Yeah thats the thing. Despite the league's name, compared to the rest of the soccer leagues in the world MLS is definitely not a "Major League"
What other football league is the NFL competing against?
What other baseball league is MLB competing against?
What other basketball league is NBA competing against?
What other hockey league is the NHL competing against?

MLS has to compete against 30 + other soccer leagues around the world, as well as a forced competition with the other american sports. But that's not a reason just to write it off.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 03:05 PM
  #61
ogie
Registered User
 
ogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Staten Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
i would put the knicks winning at #1. Basketball is HUGE in NYC and the knicks haven't won in a long time. Actually I can't remember the last time they won.

#1 Knicks
#2 Yankees/Mets...either team will generate the same ammount of hype
#3 Jets.
#4 Giants
#5 Rangers

all those other teams i could care less about.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 03:09 PM
  #62
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
What other football league is the NFL competing against?
What other baseball league is MLB competing against?
What other basketball league is NBA competing against?
What other hockey league is the NHL competing against?

MLS has to compete against 30 + other soccer leagues around the world, as well as a forced competition with the other american sports. But that's not a reason just to write it off.
When I watch the NFL, I know I am watching the BEST football players in the world. Same for the NBA, NHL, and MLB. MLS is the equivalent of AA baseball on the world stage. The point is not to knock the league. However, if the Red Bulls win the championship, it might get a small article in the local papers. Same for the Long Island Lizard lacrosse, New York Dragons in arena football, New York Titans in Indoor Lacrosse. They are professional leagues with paid players, however it will not generate any excitement.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 06:46 PM
  #63
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Jagr and co. beat the Yanks in 5 would really blow everybody away.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.