HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does Penner mean for us?

Old
07-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Evidently the Philadelphia Flyers and Hockeys Future disagree with you.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=335461

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/steve_downie

Also, I'm fairly certain he played C at the World Juniors in 2006, and when he played for the Petes. Kitchener still has him as a RW, as does THN, but clearly he has played center, and is considered a center prospect.

As far as the argument "what if he scores 30 gals?" Well, it makes it hard to part with him, but in a salary cap world, thems the breaks. I would rather part with him, take the compensation and promote from within rather than have to start tearing apart the team with trades. If Carter gets an outrageous offer sheet, 30 goals does not make him irreplacable.
Downie has played both, but he should be a wing at the NHL level... doesn't strike me as having a huge future at center at the higher level. I admit, I've seen very few of his games... just the way it sounds.

he could be replaced, just not easily... if we have a 22 y/o center who has shown 30 goal talent... i'd do a fair amount to hold onto him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Downie has played both, but he should be a wing at the NHL level... doesn't strike me as having a huge future at center at the higher level. I admit, I've seen very few of his games... just the way it sounds.

he could be replaced, just not easily... if we have a 22 y/o center who has shown 30 goal talent... i'd do a fair amount to hold onto him.
He passes the puck so well, I'd love it if there were room for him at centre, but out of necessity he'll play the wing.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
He passes the puck so well, I'd love it if there were room for him at centre, but out of necessity he'll play the wing.
we'd be scary small at center if we played him there... another thing to remember. Briere and Richards aren't big guys, and Carter plays a very soft game.

Downie will have a nice niche at wing on this club going forward.... good spot for him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
we'd be scary small at center if we played him there... another thing to remember. Briere and Richards aren't big guys, and Carter plays a very soft game.

Downie will have a nice niche at wing on this club going forward.... good spot for him.
I'd still rather we moved Carter to wing and have one of Downie or Giroux play centre down the road (I believe they're both able to play centre or right wing). But I see your point about the size. And we also know Carter moving to wing is pretty much out of the question at this point.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 06:41 PM
ChiTown Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I'd still rather we moved Carter to wing and have one of Downie or Giroux play centre down the road (I believe they're both able to play centre or right wing). But I see your point about the size. And we also know Carter moving to wing is pretty much out of the question at this point.
I was under the impression Giroux was a wing.

ChiTown Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 07:31 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Yeah honestly, I've been really surprised with people's attitude towards Carter in this thread. Carter has been a grade-A prospect ever since we drafted him and had a really solid rookie year. And people talk about last year was a disaster, it was definitely a set-back, but he was on pace for 50 points over the course of a full season.

People seem to think that guys like this grow on trees and that they can easily be replaced by players who've never played more than 25 NHL games. It really isn't that simple. If we expect to be in Cup contention in the next couple years, we need Carter to be a big part of that and I think he's more than capable of fulfilling expectations.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Evidently the Philadelphia Flyers and Hockeys Future disagree with you.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=335461

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/steve_downie

Also, I'm fairly certain he played C at the World Juniors in 2006, and when he played for the Petes. Kitchener still has him as a RW, as does THN, but clearly he has played center, and is considered a center prospect.

As far as the argument "what if he scores 30 gals?" Well, it makes it hard to part with him, but in a salary cap world, thems the breaks. I would rather part with him, take the compensation and promote from within rather than have to start tearing apart the team with trades. If Carter gets an outrageous offer sheet, 30 goals does not make him irreplacable.
Well, unlike the people who did those profiles, I've actually seen Downie play.

McGourty is making his way around the league doing profiles - it's a cut and paste summer filler job, I'm sure he's making little mistakes on all the articles. Seriously, in all the discussions on this board in the last year, how many have considered Cabana as a legit prospect to make the team, even in the longer term?

Downie played RW exclusively in Peterborough and again in Kitchener this year after he was traded. Sutter played him a bit at C in the WJC two years ago, but mostly just to take faceoffs when he was playing on a line with Dustin Boyd or on the PK. By the end of the tourney he was back on RW. Last WJC he played at RW all the time, with Cogliano or Toews.

Last edited by Larry44: 07-31-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:49 AM
rayearth

Quote:
As far as the argument "what if he scores 30 gals?"
Now that would be an impressive feat!

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 08:34 AM