HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Poll: Do you want Burke to match?

View Poll Results: Do you want Brian Burke to Match the offer to Penner?
Yes! Overpayment, we don't need Penner 65 32.18%
No! We want Penner! 104 51.49%
Don't care either way 33 16.34%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-31-2007, 09:05 AM
eastcoasteh

vCash: 500
Poll: Do you want Burke to match?

Quite simple, do you want Burke to match the deal or do you want Penner on the Oil?

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:09 AM
dashingsilverfox*

No.

The contract is steep but I think his potential is huge.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:17 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Two thirds of those voting on the Ducks board don't want Burke to match. Hopefully he's paying attention.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:23 AM
Boilers*

I'm stuck in the middle. I want to see one of these offer sheets actually work dammit...just maybe not on Dustin.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:29 AM
roadtoglory

I've got this sneaking suspision that Burke will reject it, hoping it will blow up in Lowe's face.

roadtoglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Yes, I want Burke to match. I don't think Penner is anything special, but i'll gladly eat crow on that.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:31 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Two thirds of those voting on the Ducks board don't want Burke to match. Hopefully he's paying attention.
2/3rds of ducks fans must be exceptionally intelligent people.... the penner contract will be a millstone around the necks of the oilers for the next 5 years... burke isnt dumb enough to match it, which is too bad, because this contract will likely: not allow us to sign a UFA next season, lose one of pitkanen or stoll next season because of money concerns (either cap or RFA raid) and not be able to resign horcoff the year after

its a complete joke of a contract, even if you dont include the draft picks going the other way.... when you include the picks, the deal is laughably bad

jadeddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:34 AM
OilerOlli*

Yes, please do it burke! Don't want Penner for that money.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:35 AM
AM

I think Penner would be a good addition to the Oilers.

The contract is steep, but thats what you have to pay for RFA's.

On a side not, does Burke indicate today or does he wait till the last minute?

And will we know? The only reason we knew before is because Buffalo made a statement.

I guess I'm asking, the NHL needs a procedure for telling the fans.

they cshould have a webpage witha big clock or something

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
I want Penner, he makes this team better and the league needs this to go through, so that if this happens in the future, people aren't crying fowl everytime.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:37 AM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
2/3rds of ducks fans must be exceptionally intelligent people.... the penner contract will be a millstone around the necks of the oilers for the next 5 years... burke isnt dumb enough to match it, which is too bad, because this contract will likely: not allow us to sign a UFA next season, lose one of pitkanen or stoll next season because of money concerns (either cap or RFA raid) and not be able to resign horcoff the year after

its a complete joke of a contract, even if you dont include the draft picks going the other way.... when you include the picks, the deal is laughably bad
I think you're mired in conventional wisdom.

Sometimes scrooge has to open his pocket book.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Waterboy

Ah crap...I voted wrong. I clicked don't match but I REALLY hope he does. Penner is not the answer and will see more 4th line minutes than 1st or 2nd line mintues this year.

You heard it here first folks.

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:41 AM
roadtoglory

Maybe Lowe made the offer to force EIG to sell!

roadtoglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:41 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Luckily for us the Ducks have all of 12 fans, meaning 8 of them don't want the Ducks to match, while the remaining 4 are hoping he matches.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:

What do the picks mean to the Oilers right Now?

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Strapping Jocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
Yes, I want Burke to match. I don't think Penner is anything special, but i'll gladly eat crow on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I want Penner, he makes this team better and the league needs this to go through, so that if this happens in the future, people aren't crying fowl everytime.
Evidence that this poll, regarding the Ducks, is for the 'birds'

Strapping Jocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:52 AM
tiger_80

Quote:

Well, it's not like the OIlers ever rely on signing UFAs.

And as far as Stoll and Pitkanen are concerned, Lowe has got a whole year to figure out what to do with them. I think Pitkanen will be re-signed long-term. And Stoll, if he wants a big raise,
could well be traded next summer. The Oilers have an abundance of center prospects (Pouliot, Cogliano, Gagner, Schremp), all of whom can potentially be #1 or #2 centers. And in the salary cap world, to be successful, you need to constantly cut excessive fat.
With Horcoff potentially making a lot less than Stoll's asking price, and still only 30 years of age, I think it is clear who will be the odd man out.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Killer Z

I'm finding that as every day goes by, more and more Oilers fans on HF are hoping that Burke walks away from Penner.

As for myself, I really can't decide. I keep flip flopping every hour. I'm currently wanting Burke to match, but my feeling will likely change in a few minutes here.

Killer Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:00 AM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
No Match Lowe needs to get a player with one of his offer sheets if he doesn't it would be a wasted effort and only bring bad connotations heading into the up coming season also I think Penner would help the Oilers

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:01 AM
NB_Oiler_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Z View Post
I'm finding that as every day goes by, more and more Oilers fans on HF are hoping that Burke walks away from Penner.

As for myself, I really can't decide. I keep flip flopping every hour. I'm currently wanting Burke to match, but my feeling will likely change in a few minutes here.
I'm with you KillerZ.... I keep flip-flopping on the idea. There are good arguments for either case, and initially i liked the offer, then I thought about how it could handcuff us over the longer term and also likely hinders our ability to make any significant additional trades with us sitting so high cap wise (should we get Penner). But I like penner's make up and potential on this team.

flip-flop

(PS - I voted for Burke to not match the offer)

NB_Oiler_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:02 AM
dynastydays

The money or picks isnt the concern here... its Penner.

His contract is in his market value, contracts next season and beyond will undoubtedly prove this amount is not out of range. Derey Roy just signed a long term deal for approximately the same amount.

Picks nolonger offer any significant chance of getting players that outperform their contracts. Best case scenaior is you get a sleeper in the mid 1st round, sign to lower end bonus scale, and they outperform their contract for 1 or 2 seasons as a rookie/sophomore. Im not worried about the picks.

The only way you get outperformers in any significant way anymore, is you sign young talent to mid-level salaries, long term, and let them grow into outperformers.

The debate here is, will Penner be that player... because the picks and money aren't going to make or break the Oilers.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:02 AM
dem

i dunno... im all over the place..

i mean.. we DO need help..
But wow.. thats a lot to give for Dustin Penner... and its for 5 years. If it blows up in our face... its gonna hurt for a long time.

Then again.. if he turns into a 35 goal scorer i wouldnt be complaining
but i dunno... im not sure i see that in him..

Tough decision..
glad Burke is the one making it..

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Dangerdanger

Welllllll. I'm a bit of an optimist. The way I see it, if he matches, we get a solid player. If he doesn't we essentially gain some picks in a deep draft. Win - Win. So I really don't care. Can't say I've ever even seen Penner play though, been in Asia for too long. Damn Thailand blocking Youtube as well.

Dangerdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:13 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

It's a bad contract for a player I don't believe in, I want Burke to match. I'll also note that , even with Penner I think we're a terrible team and that I expect a top 10 or even top 5 pick come next draft. The picks + the contract make Penner an undesirable commodity in my eyes.

Last edited by barrel_master: 07-31-2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added thoughts
barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:22 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

if this pick ends up top ten--it is a bad deal

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote