HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

2007-08 Lines and Salary Cap

Old
07-27-2007, 01:23 PM
edd1e

vCash: 500
What about guys like Ville Koistinen and Janne Niskala?

Are they going to make the team and what do you think about them?

edd1e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
What about guys like Ville Koistinen and Janne Niskala?

Are they going to make the team and what do you think about them?
Europe and Milwaukee

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Europe and Milwaukee
They'll both either be in Milwaukee or Nashville, actually. So says their contracts this year.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:19 PM
AdmiralPred

Didn't Ville sign a one-way deal? I'm thinking Nashville or Europe for him. There might even be a blurb in a press release, regarding his signing, stating as much.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Jarnberg

Who's the answer on our third line?

Its probably safe to assume that our first two lines will be made up of the following players (barring injuries or trades of course):

Sullivan, Arnott, Dumont, Erat, Legwand, Radulov

After that, its likely to be:

Gelinas, Bonk

After that we have the following pool:

Fiddler, Ortmeyer, Smithson, Hordichuk, Tootoo, Nichol.

While I think that Hordichuk/Tootoo and Nichol/Smithson will be swapping scratches and a 4th line position, who's in after that?

Is it a battle between Fiddler and Ortmeyer? Or perhaps one of Pihlstrom, Setzinger (been playing wing apparently) or Thuresson ?

I know we still have to take on some salary. Perhaps a trade?

What does everyone think?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:53 PM
braindead

I assume nobody thinks Matt Ellison is in the mix for a 4th line spot? Maybe with a trade? I remember thinking this might be more than an Ads filler trade when I saw it but not sure why.

Everything that I've seen about Phillstrom seems like a 4th line Tootoo type role. Thurreson seems more like a 3rd liner but I would think he will start in the ahl. I'm guessing Ortmeyer gets the try then Fiddler gets the job... or another trade.

If Phillstrom performs in camp, I think Tootoo might be the one to get traded as I see him bringing back more than Fiddler, Nichol, Smithson, Hordy. Hordy could be traded but we would have a load of middleweight punks (I say that fondly) with nobody to challenge the heavyweights.

Any way you slice it, this seems like a grittier, harder working, fiesty team more like earlier Pred versions than the recent edition.

Did anyone see that Kimmo said he would decline the "C" if offered in Philly? Didn't make me feel good about our selection of him (not that I ever did) even if he is trying to be politic.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:49 AM
handtrick

We have reached the cap minimum

It looks like with Gelinas' contract and its apparent built in unnamed bonuses [allowed by him being an "older player"]...we have passed the cap minimum, therefore any future moves by Poile become purely elective.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....708010446/1028

Good move by Poile.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 07:21 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Any idea what happened to the Legwand, Dumont, and Erat thread from yesterday?

Thanks.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
It looks like with Gelinas' contract and its apparent built in unnamed bonuses [allowed by him being an "older player"]...we have passed the cap minimum, therefore any future moves by Poile become purely elective.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....708010446/1028

Good move by Poile.
I was almost expecting us to find out that the Gelinas contract had bonuses built into the deal that pushed us above the salary cap floor. It was the perfect scenario for Poile...sign a veteran guy to fill a hole on our third line to a one-year deal that is eligible for bonus clauses because he is over the age of 35.

This actually should alleviate some people's concerns over whom the Predators were going to have to trade to get to the cap floor, although as the article mentions...we still need to make a trade to get down to 23 players before the start of the season.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:33 AM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I was almost expecting us to find out that the Gelinas contract had bonuses built into the deal that pushed us above the salary cap floor. It was the perfect scenario for Poile...sign a veteran guy to fill a hole on our third line to a one-year deal that is eligible for bonus clauses because he is over the age of 35.

This actually should alleviate some people's concerns over whom the Predators were going to have to trade to get to the cap floor, although as the article mentions...we still need to make a trade to get down to 23 players before the start of the season.
What can the Preds get for Klein, Tootoo, and Koistinen (provided he doesn't crack the line-up), or any combination of the three?

I don't see Ville back in Milwaukee with a one-way deal; Klein, as far as I know, needs to clear waivers going down; and Tootoo will probably have a ref shadowing him each game limiting his effectiveness.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 01:01 PM
The_Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

Its probably safe to assume that our first two lines will be made up of the following players (barring injuries or trades of course):

Sullivan, Arnott, Dumont, Erat, Legwand, Radulov
I see that assumption posted quite a bit, but I don't see Trotz loading up the top two lines like that at the expense of the other two. In today's NHL, you've got to have some offensive punch on at least three lines, so I would expect we'll see a guy like Gelinas (or even Tootoo if he can stay out of the box) up on one of the top two lines, bumping a guy like Sullivan, Erat or Radulov to play alongside Bonk (my pick would be Sullivan to keep him fresh). For PP purposes, those six players can be assembled into two units to leverage premium offensive ice time, but I would think at even strength we'll see a focus on a center+scoring wing pair alongside a more defensive winger to spread things out and prevent matchups from shutting down the bulk of the Predators attack.

We'll see how it shakes out next month...

The_Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:35 PM
braindead

Quote:
Is there any limit to this? Could the Preds trade Zids, Sully and Arnott and then give Gelinas a variety of bonuses. I foresee the following bonuses:

League MVP 4M
More dives than Tootoo $1.4M
More puck possession time than Erat $800K
Hold Patrick Marleau to less than 5 goals in a playoff series $900K
Get Radulov to not celebrate after scoring a goal $1.5M
Break the jaw of Chris Pronger $600k
Throw you stick further into the crowd than Hartnell's record toss $200k
Find Barry's neck $3M

Last edited by braindead: 08-02-2007 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Broad shoulders and a caring heart
Old
08-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Is there any limit to this? Could the Preds trade Zids, Sully and Arnott and then give Gelinas a variety of bonuses. I foresee the following bonuses:

League MVP 4M
Find Barry's neck $3M

08-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:

League MVP 4M
Find Barry's neck $3M
The NHL has to approve all contracts and would clearly not allow such bonuses to exist. Furthermore, the NHL would heavily frown upon any blatant attempts to circumvent either the floor of the salary cap or the ceiling of the cap and would again reject the contract and probably slap major fines on the franchise for an attempt to circumvent the cap.

BTW, I know you were kidding...I just chose to answer seriously. I'm not even going to point out the fact that both Zidlicky and Arnott have no-trade clauses in their contracts.

Old
08-03-2007, 01:06 AM
braindead

Well done. I did want a serious answer as well. I have to think that they would at least consider a bonus for finding Barry's neck though....

Old
08-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Well done. I did want a serious answer as well. I have to think that they would at least consider a bonus for finding Barry's neck though....
Now that is a bonus no player would agree to as it would be impossible to collect on.

Old
08-03-2007, 11:39 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I have a lineup question for you:

who takes PK's spot in the shoot out lineup?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 12:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
who takes PK's spot in the shoot out lineup?
Hopefully Legwand. Never could understand why he gets no chance in shootouts..while you see the same guys try and fail night after night.

Old
08-04-2007, 01:08 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Radulov, Sullivan, Erat

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:

$1.6 million in bonuses. The Predators will clear the floor to start the season without a problem - and considering injuries will happen, they should be fine even if Gelinas misses some of those bonuses.

08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

here's an idea, along the lines of 05-06 and yanic perreault...

why not invite Jeff O'Neill to camp? He's kind of fallen off the map a bit, still has no contract...but has the potential to be a hell of a lot better than Vernon Fiddler as our third line RW. What could it hurt to see what he could do on a tryout? If he performs, sign him to a reasonable deal and shed an extra forward(Smithson, likely) through trade or waivers.

Old
08-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
here's an idea, along the lines of 05-06 and yanic perreault...

why not invite Jeff O'Neill to camp? He's kind of fallen off the map a bit, still has no contract...but has the potential to be a hell of a lot better than Vernon Fiddler as our third line RW. What could it hurt to see what he could do on a tryout? If he performs, sign him to a reasonable deal and shed an extra forward(Smithson, likely) through trade or waivers.
Agreed, I would also like to see someone the likes of Mark Smith formerly of San Jose or Mike Johnson formerly of Montreal in camp as well...but I think both will wind up with guaranteed contracts before the start of camp.

I'm willing to bet though that we will have at least one, if not two tryouts in camp this season. Possibly one forward and one goalie.