HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie Equipment

Old
07-31-2007, 06:03 PM
DevsFan84

vCash: 500
Goalie Equipment

Hi all...This might sound a bit strange, but I'm 23 years old and I was recently talked into joining a beer ice hockey league...as a goalie. I have never played goalie before, I do have some roller hockey experience, but bottom line is that I don't really know what I'm doing. I signed up for a 6 week class to learn so I (hopefully) don't look completely stupid, but I need pads before it starts up, obviously.

I know and accept its going to be expensive, especially because I need -everything- but its been difficult to find anyone at the rink or stores by me that know what they are talking about when it comes to equipment. If someone could answer a few general questions for me (keep in mind I'm 100% new at this, I love to watch hockey but don't really know the equipment) I'd really appreciate it.

1. How do you properly measure for leg pads? I'm thinking it might be partially personal preference, but generally. I've seen conflicting ways to do this.

2. Can anyone recommend brands/stores that have good deals? Keep in mind I don't need really good stuff, however I'd like something decent.

Also, any tips/stuff I should know would be great.

Thanks.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 08:35 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
1. You measure by your ankle to knee measurement or ATK. Pads fit differently and having that measurement will help you in finding a pad that fits.

2. Right now you might find some closeout equipment at all stores with this years stuff just coming out...especially stuff that is not NHL-legal. Depending on your league you can get by with very nice pads for cheap if they don't care about NHL-legal sizing.

You can save some money by buying on eBay...getting some pro level stuff cheap(higher level stuff is more durable obviosuly and will help you save money in the long term). Having that ATK is helpful for that though though you miss out in sizing in person. Also maybe browse goalie forums online as many have classified ads on them. And maybe see if you can borrow stuff first to find out what you want...butterfly pads, etc.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
Hi all...This might sound a bit strange, but I'm 23 years old and I was recently talked into joining a beer ice hockey league...as a goalie. I have never played goalie before, I do have some roller hockey experience, but bottom line is that I don't really know what I'm doing. I signed up for a 6 week class to learn so I (hopefully) don't look completely stupid, but I need pads before it starts up, obviously.

I know and accept its going to be expensive, especially because I need -everything- but its been difficult to find anyone at the rink or stores by me that know what they are talking about when it comes to equipment. If someone could answer a few general questions for me (keep in mind I'm 100% new at this, I love to watch hockey but don't really know the equipment) I'd really appreciate it.

1. How do you properly measure for leg pads? I'm thinking it might be partially personal preference, but generally. I've seen conflicting ways to do this.

2. Can anyone recommend brands/stores that have good deals? Keep in mind I don't need really good stuff, however I'd like something decent.

Also, any tips/stuff I should know would be great.

Thanks.
this website was helpful for me,

http://vaughnhockey.com/equipment_sizing.shtml

incidentally, I have a pair of 32" Vaughn Velocity 2 leg pads if you are interested

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:39 PM
NoGoal9932

Devs Fan,

Your best bet for any goalie questions would be www.goaliestore.com. They have a great forum of all things goalies on there. From equipment questions, down to on ice performance, they cover it all. Also they have a great classifides section of used gear for pretty great prices.

If you have anything in particular you ever want to ask please feel free to private message me. I've been a goalie my whole life by the way.

-Andrew.

NoGoal9932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 02:42 PM
MacBeatsPang

So, lemme get this straight: You've never played ice hockey before and you're signing up to have frozen rubber disks fired at you at high speeds, while wearing skates?

I admire your courage.

I see from your login name that you're a Devils fan. If you're in Central/Northern NJ I recommend the pro shop at the Beacon Hill Club in Summit. It's a private club but the shop is open to the public and the staff is really well-informed, courteous and thorough. I bought a pair of skates there a couple years back and they did a great job of measuring my feet, finding the perfect size and then baking/stretching/punching for a gapless fit. You're not going to find many bargain-basement prices there but if you're concerned about not having enough knowledge to find the right equipment at the right sizes, etc., it's worth the extra $$$

The same is probably true of many other shops attached to/near rinks where school or club teams play, so if you find one you should be in good shape.

Good luck and have fun!

MacBeatsPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:19 PM
DevsFan84

Thanks...

Thanks for the help, all...much appreciated.

As for the courage part- well, I just got Afflack at work, so...at least if I get hurt, i'll get paid for it. Hehe.

Old
08-01-2007, 11:05 PM
ArmchairGM

I have heard good things about the Flyers Skate Zone in Atlantic City, though I really dont know personally.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:57 AM
MacBeatsPang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
As for the courage part- well, I just got Afflack at work, so...at least if I get hurt, i'll get paid for it. Hehe.
Well, at the least you should never have to pay for a beer (or any league fees)!

MacBeatsPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Brunomics

ebay my friend, once you find what you want you can find stuff there cheaply. Since your new you really don't need new equipment to start. Just find good inexpensive stuff on there and it can be a real bargain. Otherwise check out www.donsimmons.com. YOu reallly don't need to high end stuff for beer league.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:36 PM
DevsFan84

Thanks again...

Thanks again....I think I am going to take a trip to a pro shop thats like an hour away from me and get fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm pretty sure its worth paying some extra $ to get stuff that fits...

Old
08-02-2007, 08:27 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Glad you have the right idea and not cutting any corners like most ppl do nowadays by taking some person's advice online and ordering up something they don't know about. I did it when I was a noob and realized it wasn't the way to go

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 06:34 PM
MikeD

Be very carefull with the advice you get in a pro shop. Many times these guys have never played nor know anything about the gear. Ask if they play goal. If not, chances are you will be pushed to what they want to sell. Think about it....if you dont know anything about it, how the heck will you know if the guy in the pro shop does?

check out donsimmons.com for great prices on quality gear. Dont skimp on your mask or the jock. Simmons matrix goalie jock has a steep tag at around 70.00 US but it is hands down the best on the market. I tested it and can say that point blank shots at the 60-70 MPH range do not hurt in the least! The air bag design is NOT a gimmick. Roller Hockey leg pads will serve the purpose for ice hockey as long as you have a decent calf wrap to protect against skate cut. Roller gloves and blockers used for ice will leave you with broken bones....

many people think the goalie is in the most dangerous position. Honestly, not by a long shot provided the gear fits and is of sound quality. Chest protector(C/A for chest/arm), mask and jock are where you do not want to go cheap.

Chest/Arm should have solid heart guard protection. Skimping here will cause you lots of issues. I dont know your pain thresh hold but the average starter goalie will start flinching away from shots VERY quickly once they get a couple stingers every time they play. Allowed to continue it will cause a mental problem with your play that is VERY hard to correct, even after upgrading to better protection. If you can find a VAUGHN EPIC CA used...its a SOLID unit. The adjustments that are possible make it a near custom fit. I do not own one so its not just one user suggesting it to all others. The Simmons 992 is a solid CA for under 300 New.

GEW members get discounted prices!

Over the years I have helped many many goalies get their first kits. For MALE goalies, a general rule of thumb is to use your inseam measure as your guide. From groin to floor in sock feet or the first number in a well fit pair of jeans. Not the hang off your backside, half your ass hang'in out....

Your inseam measure is your MIN pad size. The average goalie will find that their knee will sit dead center of the craddle/knee lock. Inseam +2" would be a MAX for a stock pad, which would place the knee nearer the bottom of the craddle but still functional and safe. Ie a 32" inseam maxed stock pad would be 34" w NO ADDED THIGH RISE. IF you would want anything taller than inseam +2" you would want to look at added thigh rise. As you get into the search you will see labels such as 34" +2. That means the pad is 34" with 2" added to the top of the thigh portion of the pad.

You will find many used pads on the market that are 12" wide. While this might sound appealing as a "new to the position goalie", providing more coverage, but you lose mobility. I strongly urge you to seek out an 11" wide pad. many roller hockey Elite pads found are 10" wide. What you give up in coverage is gained in mobility. the larger pad hight also might sound very appealing but it takes more skill at the position to handle these "over size" pads. the added thigh rise and such causes some complications to glove/stance and other aspects of the position. IF you feel that you are in a good conditioned state and are athletic by nature, you might be able to use them well.

Bottom line: Check out a pad that matches your inseam measure and 11" wide. If possible avoid the Roller hockey leg pad unless money is a major issue.

Feel free to check out my web sites tips section. There are quite a few goalie specific PDF downloads available that might help you get the most out of your instruction time and also help you begin your self development. Feel free to PM me for specific topic/situational instructions from basics to advanced.

www.hawksice.com/tips.html

Last edited by MikeD: 08-03-2007 at 06:41 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 07:44 PM
nodq

I got a lot of my goalie gear of craigslist.org

Yeah it's second hand, but you can find some REALLY great deals if you look enough.

I got some really good hardly used pads for $300. (Previous owner blew his knee out).

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote