HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hugh Jessiman (merged)

Old
08-01-2007, 07:43 AM
NYRJurgen88

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
I have interviewed Hugh several times and he is well aware of the issues in his game, as well as what the Rangers are looking for him to do at this point. The Rangers want Jessiman to be tough (i.e., fight), grind on every shift, and be offensively productive when he can be. In other words, he needs to be a north-south player who has a real nasty edge and a consistent effort. He and the Rangers' former AGM both told me this more than once. There was definite progress along those lines this past season. There were flashes of real power forward potential that I saw late this season. But again no consistency of it. This upcoming year is the crucial year for Hugh. This is the last year on his NHL contract, and I suspect that he may become a career minor league player if there is no significant improvement soon.
Thanks for the insight leslie.

i for one hope he makes it, if he can use all his pieces/size consistently he could be a real asset.

IF he gets the ice time he needs in Hartford i think he has a chance. I agree certainly that its his last year/chance to make it with the Rangers org. though. He needs to show real progress to be offered a new deal.

A 20 goal season might not even be enough. I'd like to see more goals and certainly a better effort. i wish himn all the best.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 09:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTrout View Post
Not that you all deserve it but H will surprise this year. Agree with last guy he'll have strong year with Pack and will see ice time with the blues. Remember I have spoken. If you knew why he was in Union Square you would know what I'm talking about.
Yeah...well, that is certainly a lot of information. Not that we deserve what? Seeing Jessiman actually take a step forward? What do you think that people actually want for him to fail?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 09:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
i for one hope he makes it, if he can use all his pieces/size consistently he could be a real asset.
EVERYONE hopes that he makes it. The likelihood is fading rather rapidly.

Old
08-01-2007, 09:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Yeah...well, that is certainly a lot of information. Not that we deserve what? Seeing Jessiman actually take a step forward? What do you think that people actually want for him to fail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
EVERYONE hopes that he makes it. The likelihood is fading rather rapidly.

Really. I don't see how, "I don't think it was a good pick" becomes the same thing as "I hope he fails"

08-01-2007, 09:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Not that you all deserve it but H will surprise this year. Agree with last guy he'll have strong year with Pack and will see ice time with the blues. Remember I have spoken. If you knew why he was in Union Square you would know what I'm talking about.
Why don't you enlighten us rather than throw out the cloak and dagger stuff.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 10:07 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why don't you enlighten us rather than throw out the cloak and dagger stuff.
Maybe he was in Union Square meeting a representative of Balco? Makes sense, right? Now Hugh will be rebuilt. He will be bigger. He will be faster. He will be better. And thus the need for such secrecy. What Hugh does not know however, is that he has been on double-secret probation since he got drafted.

Old
08-01-2007, 10:40 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
NOOO!!! That would suck. None of us want a dominant power forward on this team. I hope he fails miserably *fingers crossed*

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Taz

I cant see him making it as a scorer, more like Gaustad in Buffalo

6-8 goals 10-15 assists physical and will fight

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:25 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He doesn't need to compete for a spot on the Rangers. He needs to show some improvement... enough improvement for the team to re-sign him. They knew he was a long term project when they drafted him.
Agreed...

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:31 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
We are definitely in great shape now prospect/depth wise and the Jessiman draft certainly didnt bust us, but its a big pick and could have helped alot and speed up the process. i think we'd have been even more competitive now if the Jessiman had panned out as hoped.
You can say the same thing about the previous 4 drafts for the Rangers.

I still believe Jessiman will make the NHL. I just knew from the time we drafted him that it would take 5 - 7 years for him to make it as a regular. Others I guess thought that a "project" meant 3-4 years.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I posted this somewhere before, but mark my words: Hugh will be a regular 3rd liner by the end of the season, chipping in 15-20 goals. He will become the workhorse 3rd/4th liner everyman kind of player that any GM would want on his team. I just feel it, man. It's either that or the burrito I had for lunch. Seriously, 30 - 40 point power forward no one will want to face. Maybe a waste of a #1 pick, but I think he makes it and sticks with the NYR.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:18 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I posted this somewhere before, but mark my words: Hugh will be a regular 3rd liner by the end of the season, chipping in 15-20 goals. He will become the workhorse 3rd/4th liner everyman kind of player that any GM would want on his team. I just feel it, man. It's either that or the burrito I had for lunch. Seriously, 30 - 40 point power forward no one will want to face. Maybe a waste of a #1 pick, but I think he makes it and sticks with the NYR.
I would love for that to happen but I just can't see a miracle transformation in Hugh. At least not this season. I would be happy if Hugh netted 15 to 20 goals and notched 50 points while playing regularly in the AHL this year.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Are you the guy who was telling a few years ago how Hugh was hitting the weights hard and was going to have a monster year?

I really hope he does, but at this point, he has a lot to prove to everyone, including himself.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
From what I've seen of him, he has a very steep hill to climb to get into the NHL in several years much less this year. I can't imagine what could possibly transpire this season to make such a drastic change so quickly. It just doesn't happen very often.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Pizza

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Jessiman. I used to get really pissed when people downed on him.....but in the main they were right. I'd still love to see him get called up and score a huge goal in a playoff game. But to be honest those day dreams are dimming pretty rapidly.

The guys big. He can skate well....but he's just not looking like a player to me right now. Now he did add a more physical dimension to his game last year. A bit more grit prehaps, but it's going to take more than that to beat out some of these kids who are coming up all around him.

I hoped he worked his ass off over the summer. He'll need it. Maybe I'll jinx mysef by writing this and he'll totally find his game this year. I'd be happy in that case to wrong again

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im actually a big fan of hugh's.

its rare, i know.

the guy has size, desire, excellent skating (for his size) good hands, aggression, physicality, sticks up for his teammates, and intense pride in his jersey along with an attitude youd want to clone on all your prospects.

with that said, he still needs to develop and show genuine progress. i think we saw flashes of it last year, which is good, we know it at least can be there. i think there was a stretch last year where he had like 3 goals in 3 games, and all of the "power forward" variety.

he can get there, i think hes going to be at worst a 4th liner, and if he ever finds his game, you could be looking at...well, im not going to jinx it.

most people have given up on him. then again, most people (myself included) gave up on Hossa, and he played VERY VERY well last year when paired with jagr, and it just wasnt a factor of jagr making him better, it was how well his game meshed with jagrs.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 01:20 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
that sounds pretty good. sorry my desire to have a conversation on the matter trampled on your ego...cause yeah, I'm sure your forum browsing is oh SO important

To be honest Hugh has been a big disappointment. He does have periods where he begins to produce or produce somewhat and then longer periods where he doesn't seem to produce anything. Value wise he wouldn't bring back much in a trade and I wonder if he has another season like the last two whether the Rangers will even bother to re-sign him. It seems likely to me that he is going to be playing for his next contract this year. Seems to be a good kid. Seems to work hard at least over the summers to prepare himself. Has tools but not sure about the toolbox.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

its rare, i know.

the guy has size, desire, excellent skating (for his size) good hands, aggression, physicality, sticks up for his teammates, and intense pride in his jersey along with an attitude youd want to clone on all your prospects.

with that said, he still needs to develop and show genuine progress. i think we saw flashes of it last year, which is good, we know it at least can be there. i think there was a stretch last year where he had like 3 goals in 3 games, and all of the "power forward" variety.

he can get there, i think hes going to be at worst a 4th liner, and if he ever finds his game, you could be looking at...well, im not going to jinx it.

most people have given up on him. then again, most people (myself included) gave up on Hossa, and he played VERY VERY well last year when paired with jagr, and it just wasnt a factor of jagr making him better, it was how well his game meshed with jagrs.
Please don't. The guy is already pushing a pretty big rock up a steep hill.

Good to read something nice about him. Good point about Hossa here as well.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 01:55 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I think the key factor in looking backwards was to really consider what position the organization was in at the time. In doing that I think it is safe to say that we really needed to make a safe pick and not to have rolled the dice on a iffy prospect. I will say this; this is Huge's make or break season. He either shows enough this year to warrant a callup, even a cup of coffee, a game or two, or he is toast as far as the organization goes IMO.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Hopefully Hugh shows off more of what he was doing at the end of last year in HFD

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 04:22 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
what are people's thoughts on the progression, or somewhat lack there of for Jessiman? I know when he was drafted, he was slated to be a longterm project in order to round out into his potential (hopefully), and I'm by no means under the belief he should be rushed, but I find it kind of bothering that a lot of guys seem to have surpassed him in the rangers prospect depth chart. I would hope at this point, he'd at least put in a great camp, and make it a real tough choice for the rangers braintrust to send him to hartford, and hopefully dominate in the AHL, but even that seems unlikely at this point. again, I dont think he should be rushed, but his stagnet progression while other guys are developing at a better pace has me worried about his role in the franchise.
He wasn't drafted for a game of hockey without a redline.

Hugh Jessiman the hockeyplayer is 60-70% size, nothing strange with that, have been the case for allot of successful NHLers too, but now his size is only a factor down deep in the attacking zone. With the old rules it would have had its biggest impact in the neutral zone.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 05:55 AM
nexusrage21

I've seen Jessiman show flashes of being a good player, but he's very inconsistent.

I would love to see him convert into an enforcer type. He's big enough and strong enough, and he'd be like a Chris Simon, a tough guy who can play.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Heat McManus

I saw Jessiman skate a bunch this summer. He's a giant with good skating and stick skills. I don't think he is lacking in that area.

I could not tell from the competition he was up against, but have heard the biggest obstacle Hugh faces is a lack of vision and his desire is not where it needs to be.

I think if he stepped up his physicality and got some fire in the belly he could make jup a bit for his lack of vision (as far as valuability to the organization).

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Larry Melnyk

Fact of the matter is that it is a very valid post and valid timing as far as Ranger prospects go. Of course, Jessiman will never be whant many hoped he might become when drafted, but because of his size, skating and skill, he still has a chance to be a decent NHLer.

This year is, ahem, huge to him...During his second stint in Hartford last year he played much more physical and straigh forward...He needs to continue that this year and do it consistently, as well as show he can use his attibutes when the game is fast.A big guy who plays physical and has some skill will be welcome on any team. it's time for Jessiman to show whether he is or isn't that guy..

Last edited by Larry Melnyk: 09-07-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

its rare, i know.

Yeah, I kind of like him too for the underdog aspect as well, but I thought last year was a make it or break it year for him, and he didn't deliver. So I've kind of started looking past him. Not ready to throw him to the wolves, it's just that there are so many other prospects to watch closely at this point that Hugh is becoming an afterthought.

Quote:
Yeah, honestly I'd like to see one of two things with Hugh next year. Either he gets a LOT of icetime in Hartford, or he plays on the 4th line with the Rangers.

I'll explain. Giving him little icetime in Hartford does absolutely nothing for him. This is a guy who desperately needs playing time to develop, and that's something that he severely lacked compared to most other prospects. His injury coupled with being a college player to begin with ends up meaning the amount of games he's played compared to most of the other Rangers prospects is quite small. If he's going to play in the AHL, the coaches need to give him a ton of icetime. This would be one instance where I think a player should continue to get icetime even if they're not producing game in and game out. I don't think Hugh effort level is ever poor, so I don't think he's slacking and not "earning" icetime in that way.

As for him being on the Rangers. I think it could be beneficial to his confidence, and his game to be able to practice with NHLers, get tips from them, see how they do things, and get in real NHL playing time. If Renney rolls his lines enough, he can still get 10 minutes per game or so, and it could help him as well. I don't think that this is as beneficial as a ton of icetime in Hartford, but I think we've also reached the point where something needs to be gotten out of Hugh, and if he can play on the 4th line and do well, then that's a start. Maybe he can earn his way up the lineup from there if he really starts getting it.

I don't feel there's any point in discussing Hugh as a draft pick anymore. At this point, it's about him as a player and what can be done (and what he can do) to become a useful NHLer

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote