Old
07-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Hmmm.....interesting

I like it.

Wonder why they made the switch, though.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Stars-Preds

vCash: 500
They made the switch because the entire league is going to have the same format similiar to MLB. The new website looks much better than the old.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Yuck.

Too busy, horrible highlights section (the NHL's highlight reel concept is horrid), way way way too much advertising, no standings or schedule on the front page.

Their old website is eons ahead of this one. Awful.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:53 PM
User Name
Registered User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

Wonder why they made the switch, though.
They've switched designers before, but not domains. It's always been Dallasstars.com. The new one appears to be at NHL.com. All the other teams have similar URLs.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:53 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
That banner is pretty sweet. Seems like confirmation that the colors/logo aren't getting messed with.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Stars-Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Yuck.

Too busy, horrible highlights section (the NHL's highlight reel concept is horrid), way way way too much advertising, no standings or schedule on the front page.

The old website is dull and boring. This one at least looks like it belongs to a professional sports team.

The standings and schedule are both on the front page in an interactive/customized way. There's an info box at the bottom right you can click thru the Stats/Standings/Schedule.

I agree with you about it being a bit busy and too much advertising but that's how websites go now days I suppose.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:58 PM
User Name
Registered User Name

Quote:

Actually, the old one is not completely compatible with
Mozilla browsers, this one is better in that aspect.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Kritter471

I use Firefox and just set up the IE option so it opens that page as if it's an IE page. Works fine for me.

I like plain. I like easy to navigate, clean, will load on dial-up. The old website does all that while being professional and not too much with the ads. I like the standings and schedule always accessable (don't have to click to find it). It's one of the most important things on the site, and I don't want to have to dig through layers upon layers of graphics and adds to find it.

But my main complains are the color scheme (too dark), too busy and way way way way too many ads. If they want me on their website, reading their spiel, then they have to make it less like I"m watching a commercial.

The only reason I regularly visit the Stars website is for the highlights, and the NHL's multimedia system sucks giant monkey balls. It's awful, and they're either forcing the teams to implement the same system or the Stars are doing it voluntarily. Either way, it sucks.

Old
07-24-2007, 12:09 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Actually, the old one is not completely compatible with
Mozilla browsers, this one is better in that aspect.
Very true, and that always bugged me to open up IE when visiting the Stars site.

On the design though, I prefer simple. The new one looks clustered to me.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Rem
I am a ham radio

For the record, its league-wide. They don't have a choice in the matter. What I don't get in this particular site is the army font - what is up with that?

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Kritter471

More complaints!

There is no section for audio clips on this site, one of the best features of the Stars sight right now. They'll post ESPN or Ticket interviews which is great for out of market fans. No such luck on this site.

Additionally, to watch highlights, you have to sit through a commercial. If they were similar quality highlights to what's on the Stars site right now (basically the recaps from the first and second intermissions and live highlights from the third using the Stars crew) it'd be worth it. These awful clips with no buildup or breakdown? Even if I did want to see a re-air, I'm not sitting through a commercial to watch hacked up game tape.

The banner is too big (throws everything down so you have to scroll) and the section names are cheesy. The site is not aligned in the easiest manner to read (with links or dead space on the left side of the page) and there is too much emphasis placed on graphics.

I repeat - amateurish and awful. If they're switching sites, I want one at least equivilant to the one they have now. This one is several steps down.

Old
07-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
For the record, its league-wide. They don't have a choice in the matter. What I don't get in this particular site is the army font - what is up with that?
The league can bite me then. They should make all of their teams sites live up to the standards of the best sites out there (and despite the Firefox compatibility problems, the content made it one of the best sites) and not bring everyone to the same level of mediocrity.

Old
07-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Chad_

Quote:
The league can bite me then. They should make all of their teams sites live up to the standards of the best sites out there (and despite the Firefox compatibility problems, the content made it one of the best sites) and not bring everyone to the same level of mediocrity.
What? Are you on crack? Since when hasn't the NHL pushed for mediocrity? It is a step up for the league, you know.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Kritter471

Heh. True. Which is why the league sucks.

It just really sucks to see one of the better websites in the league reduced because the league got a BrightIdea in its head.

And it really sucks because the NHL's website, as a whole, has gotten better in the recent past. But this.... gah.

Old
07-24-2007, 12:38 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Um... the old site is the one loaded with advertising. I count 14 ads on the old front page. All those tacked on graphics are what looks amateurish, not the new design.

I agree that it sucks about losing the unique video though. The NHL has a strange idea of what constitutes highlights.

edit: the new site's banner is actually shorter than the old one also.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 01:32 AM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
The only thing the new site has that's better then the current one is the banner.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 04:20 PM
steiner

Send a message via ICQ to steiner
Quote:
Yuck.

Exactly.

steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Pillard32

Not a fan.

Pillard32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
I could care less how the website looks as long as we could've still gotten our own highlights. But no. We have to get highlights from NHL.com and from other team broadcats. Ugh.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 11:41 PM
michael117

Hmm... this would have looked pretty good back in 2000 but it is horrendous now. I mean... the little screws in the corners? I remember doing that kind of stuff when I first started making websites years ago. While the old one aged a bit, it aged very well because it has a nice color scheme with good structural graphics and division between the different elements of the site. The new one just has everything thrown on there with just black. Gross.

I think this may be once again reiterating that the new jerseys are going back to a more traditional style with the black more prominent as the away (home?) jersey main color.

michael117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:17 AM
cityhockeyfever

The one thing I liked about the previous version Dallas Stars official site was the available multimedia from their own team coverage regardless of what NHL.com posted. The locker room interviews, the practices, the in-game highlights from FSN Southwest or KDFI-TV where at least they were available anytime I wanted to check things out especially after a game.

With the new site, the Stars better keep that coverage on there. If it's just some game highlight package that NHL.com has on their mother site, what's the point in going to DallasStars.com anymore (outside the team news information)? Official team sites are supposed to be the ultimate internet destination for their fans.

It's only August 1st, so we'll have to see what the Stars and other teams do before the season starts. There's still time for new additions to the new team site to be done.

Another thing... you can still access the Stars or any other official NHL team site with their original URL (such as DallasStars.com). It'll just redirect to the new stars.nhl.com URL.

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhockeyfever View Post
The one thing I liked about the previous version Dallas Stars official site was the available multimedia from their own team coverage regardless of what NHL.com posted. The locker room interviews, the practices, the in-game highlights from FSN Southwest or KDFI-TV where at least they were available anytime I wanted to check things out especially after a game.

With the new site, the Stars better keep that coverage on there. If it's just some game highlight package that NHL.com has on their mother site, what's the point in going to DallasStars.com anymore (outside the team news information)? Official team sites are supposed to be the ultimate internet destination for their fans.
Exactly.

And it is...They've already removed all the Stars multimedia when it comes to game highlights and added the NHL.com ones.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote