HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

On tsn.ca; local group bidding on Nashville Predators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2007, 12:18 PM
  #1
Testify
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
On tsn.ca; local group bidding on Nashville Predators

per TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=215180&hubname

'Sources tell TSN that Boots Del Biaggio is a partner with the local investors and he will work to keep the Predators viable in Nashville, but his tie to Kansas City offers a back-up plan in the event long-term efforts fall through.'

Sorry if its old news for you guys, but it just popped up on TSN.


Testify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 12:57 PM
  #2
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testify View Post
Sources tell TSN that Boots Del Biaggio is a partner with the local investors and he will work to keep the Predators viable in Nashville, but his tie to Kansas City offers a back-up plan in the event long-term efforts fall through.
Exactly what I've been afraid of.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 01:39 PM
  #3
iceman64
Registered User
 
iceman64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas City
Country: United States
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
long term efforts........KC isn't going to wait around for this deal. Now it will be on to expansion or other relocation. This does open the door for another owner to move the team into Sprint Center and maintain ownership. The Boots deal was good and bad, good that he was going to try to bring a team, bad that any owner wanting to move here had to sell the team to him.

iceman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 01:59 PM
  #4
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman64 View Post
long term efforts........KC isn't going to wait around for this deal. Now it will be on to expansion or other relocation. This does open the door for another owner to move the team into Sprint Center and maintain ownership. The Boots deal was good and bad, good that he was going to try to bring a team, bad that any owner wanting to move here had to sell the team to him.
Until I see otherwise, I'm guessing that there will be a measure in place that allows Boots to either back out if KC is awarded an expansion team or buy the team full out if an attendance figure isn't met.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 02:03 PM
  #5
iceman64
Registered User
 
iceman64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas City
Country: United States
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Until I see otherwise, I'm guessing that there will be a measure in place that allows Boots to either back out if KC is awarded an expansion team or buy the team full out if an attendance figure isn't met.

probably so, doesn't make alot of sense for local investors to be involved with him if this is what they thought he would try to do. But it does now let another owner move in free and clear to Sprint

iceman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 02:18 PM
  #6
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman64 View Post
probably so, doesn't make alot of sense for local investors to be involved with him if this is what they thought he would try to do. But it does now let another owner move in free and clear to Sprint
My guess is that the local owners felt the only chance was to at least give it a shot, but would have the fail safe of selling the team to Boots if they can't make it work.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 02:28 PM
  #7
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,755
vCash: 500
Nashville Post

Briefly: Preds have letter of intent to sell team

08-01-2007 1:54 PM In half an hour, the Nashville Predators will be announcing that the local bidders have a letter of intent to buy the team. Additionally, sources have confirmed that Silicon Valley venture capitalist William "Boots" Del Biaggio has become part of the ownership group.


It sounds to me like a graceful way for Boots to get out of his KC obligation without looking like a traitor-- consistent with the theory that he was more interested in owning a team than owning a team IN KC.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 09:24 PM
  #8
Street Hawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,596
vCash: 500
Already an NHL owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Nashville Post

Briefly: Preds have letter of intent to sell team

08-01-2007 1:54 PM In half an hour, the Nashville Predators will be announcing that the local bidders have a letter of intent to buy the team. Additionally, sources have confirmed that Silicon Valley venture capitalist William "Boots" Del Biaggio has become part of the ownership group.


It sounds to me like a graceful way for Boots to get out of his KC obligation without looking like a traitor-- consistent with the theory that he was more interested in owning a team than owning a team IN KC.
According to Sportsnet.ca, Boots has a small ownership stake in the SJ Sharks.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...01_140059_6108

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 09:38 PM
  #9
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
According to Sportsnet.ca, Boots has a small ownership stake in the SJ Sharks.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...01_140059_6108
Which he will be giving up.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:28 PM
  #10
JD SabreFan
Registered User
 
JD SabreFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
I really wish the NHL could grow to a mainstream sport in the US. I know its hard to look at it from my point of view, but is keeping the team in Nashville the best move for the sport?

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:31 PM
  #11
JD SabreFan
Registered User
 
JD SabreFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=215180&hubname=nhl
Not so kind words from fellow hockey fans in the "Your Call" section.. wow, brutal!

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:40 PM
  #12
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=215180&hubname=nhl
Not so kind words from fellow hockey fans in the "Your Call" section.. wow, brutal!
I could care less what CanadaRulz69 and Bettmansuxlol think about the local group stepping up to buy the team.

And judging by the amount of uninformed and generally clueless posters I see on these boards and various other hockey boards, its expected.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:48 PM
  #13
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post
I really wish the NHL could grow to a mainstream sport in the US. I know its hard to look at it from my point of view, but is keeping the team in Nashville the best move for the sport?
I'm sure the media attention of moving franchises all around and contraction like some want (especially after a few years of the only full season lockout out of all the big sports) is a much better move to grow the sport in the US.

Here is Stranger's idea on how to grow the NHL into a more 'mainstream' sport in the US:

Let get rid of all the hockey fans who simply whine all day on internet message boards complaining about the stitching on jerseys, the amount of paint on a logo on a puck, how Bettman is ruining the game by altering Reebok jersey material test reports, and how they think that NHL should go back to the good ol' days of the Original Six. I'd be willing to bet that almost none of the posters who whine about how the NHL (I'm sorry, Bettman) is alienating them by changing the game so much and ditching history ever lived during those times.

You want to know why the NHL is a joke, because its the only major sports league where fans constantly complain about every aspect of the game and the only league where fans sit around all day adding up the actual amount spent on every ticket sold during an entire season, trying to justify why teams shouldn't exist in other cities.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:02 PM
  #14
zingbergeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Great post Stranger!

I don't really understand why so many Canadians have such a deep desire to see the NHL fail in non-traditional markets. Growing the sport and spreading it to big cities in the South can only be good for the game in the end. There are so many potential fans and dollars to be had by spreading south and west to non-traditional markets.

Lets not forget that Nashville had an average attendance higher than Phoenix, Boston, New Jersey, Washington, Chicago, New York Islanders, and St. Louis last season. (I know I read that here somewhere, but I don't know who/what to cite.)

Maybe we should move Boston or Chicago to Hamilton. Those fools obviously don't know what hockey even is!

zingbergeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
  #15
Paincakes
Registered User
 
Paincakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Knoxville
Country: Scotland
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingbergeur View Post
Great post Stranger!

I don't really understand why so many Canadians have such a deep desire to see the NHL fail in non-traditional markets. Growing the sport and spreading it to big cities in the South can only be good for the game in the end. There are so many potential fans and dollars to be had by spreading south and west to non-traditional markets.

Lets not forget that Nashville had an average attendance higher than Phoenix, Boston, New Jersey, Washington, Chicago, New York Islanders, and St. Louis last season. (I know I read that here somewhere, but I don't know who/what to cite.)

Maybe we should move Boston or Chicago to Hamilton. Those fools obviously don't know what hockey even is!
But even if we did reach top 10 attendance for several seasons there would still be your average hater calling for us to move "cuz yo pondz dont freeze lol"

If you don't like us, whatever, but is it that hard to just leave us be and not complain. We are here, accept it and stop complaining.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:54 PM
  #16
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,755
vCash: 500
Here is the link that you referenced:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2006

Our attendance (total, not paid) over the last 3 years:
________Total_____Avg.___________Rank
03/04.....527,091.....13,177.............. 28th

05/06 ...591,556....14,428 (+9.5%)....25th

06/07....625,649....15,260 (+5.8%)...23rd

I'm pretty sure that PAID attendance was up substantially higher on a percentage basis.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:22 PM
  #17
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=215180&hubname=nhl
Not so kind words from fellow hockey fans in the "Your Call" section.. wow, brutal!
They're not "fellow fans."

They're ignorant xenophobic teenagers, and their opinion means poo-vapor to me or any other Predator fan. They should spend less time on conspiracy theories and more time watching a few games.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:35 PM
  #18
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I'm sure the media attention of moving franchises all around and contraction like some want (especially after a few years of the only full season lockout out of all the big sports) is a much better move to grow the sport in the US.

Here is Stranger's idea on how to grow the NHL into a more 'mainstream' sport in the US:

Let get rid of all the hockey fans who simply whine all day on internet message boards complaining about the stitching on jerseys, the amount of paint on a logo on a puck, how Bettman is ruining the game by altering Reebok jersey material test reports, and how they think that NHL should go back to the good ol' days of the Original Six. I'd be willing to bet that almost none of the posters who whine about how the NHL (I'm sorry, Bettman) is alienating them by changing the game so much and ditching history ever lived during those times.

You want to know why the NHL is a joke, because its the only major sports league where fans constantly complain about every aspect of the game and the only league where fans sit around all day adding up the actual amount spent on every ticket sold during an entire season, trying to justify why teams shouldn't exist in other cities.
Can I use this as my signature? This is the greatest post ever, so so true.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 05:49 AM
  #19
predperson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I'm sure the media attention of moving franchises all around and contraction like some want (especially after a few years of the only full season lockout out of all the big sports) is a much better move to grow the sport in the US.

Here is Stranger's idea on how to grow the NHL into a more 'mainstream' sport in the US:

Let get rid of all the hockey fans who simply whine all day on internet message boards complaining about the stitching on jerseys, the amount of paint on a logo on a puck, how Bettman is ruining the game by altering Reebok jersey material test reports, and how they think that NHL should go back to the good ol' days of the Original Six. I'd be willing to bet that almost none of the posters who whine about how the NHL (I'm sorry, Bettman) is alienating them by changing the game so much and ditching history ever lived during those times.

You want to know why the NHL is a joke, because its the only major sports league where fans constantly complain about every aspect of the game and the only league where fans sit around all day adding up the actual amount spent on every ticket sold during an entire season, trying to justify why teams shouldn't exist in other cities.
Amen brother....testify!

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.