HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL on espn2.....fingers crossed!

Old
07-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Since it wouldn't be an equal and reliable substitute for costly NHL Central Ice package, I do not care, really about the return.
Costly are you kidding me? ITs like 129$ for the season with the early bird package. Or 159 if you order when the season starts.... thats not an absurd amount of money.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:58 PM
zestystrat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
being a younger male into sports of course, i personally hate what once was my 2 fav channels, espn and mtv, have become now. their focus is so far away from what they were at one point that they are nothing like they used to be and it sucks.
Not to burst your bubble but you are at the older end of MTV's demo and assuming you have sophisticated tastes, it hasn’t been geared to you in a while.

Time to move on to VH-1 or when you get into 30’s like me VH-1 Classic

I think that getting the NHL on a cable network like FX (Fox) or USA (NBC) that has a sister b'cast network that has decent sports programming will help. It would ne nice to see some NHL promos during a NFL b'cast.

Last edited by zestystrat: 07-31-2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: I gots more to say
zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Fletch

Mtv?

is that still around?

I'm with Zesty - it's VH-1 Classics for me - where else will you find a Genesis concert with Peter Gabriel at the helm.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 05:06 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is that still around?

I'm with Zesty - it's VH-1 Classics for me - where else will you find a Genesis concert with Peter Gabriel at the helm.
Or how about a Faces concert or a Genesis gig with Bill Burford. Sweeeet. Justin Timberwho?

Old
07-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Fletch

Saw that gig...

with Bruford - that was sweet. Missed Faces though - sure it'll be back in the rotation. It is odd - I can get to channel 136 on my remote control, but cannot get to 122. Heck, I'd even scan to 107 to the Hallmark Channel to find a Columbo on a Saturday - but OLN - tough (I do catch my hockey on Center Ice).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:01 PM
JezmundNY

People might not tune into ESPN2 broadcasts of hockey in droves, but people sure do watch Sports Center. The article is plain about how much time hockey has lost in the Sports Center show since hockey left the ESPN networks.

I don't like the fact that there wouldn't be hockey on broadcast networks, but how much does NBC really put into the product anyway?

JezmundNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 01:03 PM
BlaqICE

Send a message via ICQ to BlaqICE Send a message via AIM to BlaqICE Send a message via MSN to BlaqICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootin'Tyutin View Post
Man do I miss Gary Thorne calling games.
OH MERCY!! I miss that the most.

BlaqICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 01:07 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezmundNY View Post
People might not tune into ESPN2 broadcasts of hockey in droves, but people sure do watch Sports Center. The article is plain about how much time hockey has lost in the Sports Center show since hockey left the ESPN networks.

I don't like the fact that there wouldn't be hockey on broadcast networks, but how much does NBC really put into the product anyway?
SportsCenter? **** those guys. All they talk about is football, Vick, basketball, and baseball.

Then if there is any time left, they'll diss hockey for a bit.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 01:36 PM
cityhockeyfever

I'm not holding my breath, but as I said in another thread here, I remain hopeful should this deal happen. nyr2k2 is right that the NHL is a regional sport in this country and I agree that it will never be held in the same regard as the NFL and Major League Baseball here. But I think a joint deal like the other leagues do would be a good risk to take. I know the juggernaut that the NFL is dwarfs the NHL, but the league has nowhere to go but up. The NHL wouldn't be able to sign anywhere close to the NFL in rights fees, but with the new CBA, there is at least the opportunity to increase revenue and raise TV ratings with the RIGHT deal and marketing/broadcast strategy. The NHL has done such a poor job over the years, why should we believe they deserved to be where the NFL is at or Major League Baseball is at or the NBA is at or for that matter PGA golf or NASCAR/Formula 1 racing?

I resent ESPN and seldom do I watch that network these days. Their disgraceful slandering of the NHL turned me away from them. I might watch again if NHL games are on ESPN 2.

The only way I can see this working is a commitment by all parties to guarantee Versus is as widely available on cable as ESPN and NHL Network is available on every cable or satellite system. Anything short of that, the NHL won't succeed with this. NBA TV is on a premium sports tier for Cablevision customers, so at minimum, NHL Network must be as well. I'm willing to pay an extra $5 per month for iO Sports Pak if they offer NHL Network. Thankfully, early last season, Versus became available on the basic tier along the lines of ESPN. However, that is more of the exception than the rule otherwise many other fans around the country wouldn't complain they cannot find Versus on their cable lineup.

By the way, it is stupid that Cablevision does not have ESPN 2 HD yet, but they recently added their VOOM HD channels. INHD used to be on here, but that was replaced by Mojo.

The bottom line is, if the opportunity is there to increase TV exposure on multiple networks, the NHL has to do it. They promised big changes in their gameplan when the owners and NHLPA hammered out their new CBA, now they have to deliver.

Last edited by cityhockeyfever: 08-02-2007 at 12:45 AM.
cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:11 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Do artists played on MTV sell millions of records? Yes.

Will being on ESPN help the NHL? Yes.

There is no greater influence on American sports fans than what gets coverage on sportscenter.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:15 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
Do artists played on MTV sell millions of records? Yes.

Will being on ESPN help the NHL? Yes.

There is no greater influence on American sports fans than what gets coverage on sportscenter.
While I don't totally disagree, as it as been said before, it's not like the NHL was pulling big numbers when it was on ESPN. And when it comes to TV # of eyeballs = more $$, not dropping covereage.

Old
08-01-2007, 04:04 PM
stc1709*

Send a message via AIM to stc1709*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
There is an HD ESPN2. Not ever provider carries it, but it's there.
I have it, im with comcast

stc1709* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:05 PM
stc1709*

Send a message via AIM to stc1709*
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterulz View Post
Well, I just got ESPN2 HD added on by Time Warner, so hey! Let's get it moving! Apparently there's a Versus HD but I think there's way too many HD channels in front before that ever gets added.
comcast just also added versus HD

stc1709* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 12:16 AM
philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
LOL, yeah, it was the Rangers, that's why the ratings are in the toilet.

Three things.

1) They're talking about NBC's package. Which is minimal, even if they extended
the weekend package earlier into the season. The most significant thing would be
that ESPN would get the back end of the finals. That could mean that the Finals would be off over the air, which would actually be a negative. ABC could carry it, they could not.

2) There's all kinds of clues in this article about ESPN's behavior that tells you why this is a horrible idea. ESPN has not turned a new leaf on promotion, their talking
heads will bury hockey, just as their talking heads (short of Mike and Mike, who are *paid* to do the games) bury AFL. They should work on getting Versus out there.
Instead, they're doing this.....

3) NHL network paired with CI? I guess alot of cable customers in the US should
get ready to not have Center Ice, because I don't think there's too many cable companies (maybe outside of Minnesota), who are going to carry the NHL Network
at gunpoint, what's gonna happen, they're going to lose their 200 CI subscriptions?
It almost didn't work with the Extra Innings negotiations, and they have more customers. Man, if that isn't a typical NHL mistake.
Yeah that's what I typed word for word: the reason the ratings are in the toilet were because the NYR weren't contenders every year. Thanks for not putting words in my mouth.
But you're right the best year of the NHL's brand equity wasn't the 94' cup run you're right it's doing so much better w/ the Ducks, Huricanes, Lightning, du-oh, Devils circling the Ice at the end of every year.
Yeah you're right.

Just because that's NBC's game slot and desired programing rotation does not mean that ESPN would just pick it up and carry out that schedule. Hence: Versus wants ESPN to cross-promote so it wouldn't just be on weekend afternoons, it would be in primetime week and weekend slots.

Mark Shapiro former VP of production/programming publicly criticised the NHL's continuously low annual rating's on ESPN/ABC, by comparing non traditional sports programing to the NHL's numbers. His candid remarks ticked off Bettman and his boys, but the numbers don't lie much to the distress of hockey fans from border to border. Shapiro was under an impossible mandate>> increase ratings quota every quarter from the previous quarter. He did it for 12 straight quarters, part of that was new programs, (pti, eoe programing) some of it came from making choices in programing, and the NHL became a ratings deficit that was costing far too much in broadcasting fees so you do the math.

And finally, Versus posted a 0.4 rating for the 2006 playoffs while ESPN posted a 0.7 rating two years ago; NBC posted a rating of 1.1, compared to ABC's 1.5 rating two years ago, please do tell about how espn doesn't promote well enough.

Yeah you're right.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote