HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

sweet caroline

Old
08-01-2007, 01:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
#1 - I couldn't give to craps about if the Sox use it, I dont care for baseball so it doesn't matter to me and is a complete non-factor.

#2 - There isn't much of a better feeling when your at the garden and the Rangers have a 4-1 lead with 2 minutes left in the game and close too 20,000 fans are singing together and celerbration for a win.

#3 - Its also the victory song that is being played in the Rangers lockeroom after a win, so it's not just a fans thing.

#4 - Does anyone even know the words to this Rangers victory song? I'm all for tradition, but c'on 99%(cept that guy in the commerical apparently) of the fans don't even know the words to it, that doesn't seem like a very good victory song.

Sweet Caroline > Old Victory Song

Just my 2 cents.
Completely agree. There are other thing to worry about.

That said, Old Victory Song < Sweet Caroline. Maybe I'm biased. The Ranger Victory song was playing when the wife and I were announced at our wedding reception.

08-01-2007, 01:34 PM
NYR Lunchbox

third on fly's words

NYR Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 01:52 PM
ArtieAnisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
Oh yeah, and as far as discounting the Sox altogether because it's a different sport, I have to disagree. I was at a Blue Jackets game a couple years ago and spoke to some season ticket holders who told us that the first season the team tried to get the fans to chant something like, "go Jackets, go blue". The fans wouldn't have it. Why? Because public enemy number one in Columbus is Michigan football, who wear blue and are sometimes referred to as "blue". Stuff like this definately crosses over different sports.
Yeah, but the difference is that Go Blue has been the Michigan chant forever, but Sweet Caroline isn't as well known for the Red Sox plus some Ranger fans are Met fans.

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 02:00 PM
chosen

How this song ever became the Rangers song is an absolute mystery to me. What does it have to do with hockey or the Rangers?

The first Rangers song I remember is "Love is Blue" by Paul Mariat. That at least made some sense. Also a real nice song.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 02:25 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Completely agree. There are other thing to worry about.

That said, Old Victory Song > Sweet Caroline. Maybe I'm biased. The Ranger Victory song was playing when the wife and I were announced at our wedding reception.
Ahh, way to get married first and steal my idea.

PS - the words to the RVS are on the team website.

Old
08-01-2007, 03:02 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
#1 - I couldn't give to craps about if the Sox use it, I dont care for baseball so it doesn't matter to me and is a complete non-factor.

#2 - There isn't much of a better feeling when your at the garden and the Rangers have a 4-1 lead with 2 minutes left in the game and close too 20,000 fans are singing together and celerbration for a win.

#3 - Its also the victory song that is being played in the Rangers lockeroom after a win, so it's not just a fans thing.

#4 - Does anyone even know the words to this Rangers victory song? I'm all for tradition, but c'on 99%(cept that guy in the commerical apparently) of the fans don't even know the words to it, that doesn't seem like a very good victory song.

Sweet Caroline > Old Victory Song

Just my 2 cents.
totally agree. i think i know some of the words... i saw it on a comercial.
just put your stick on the puck
and dont get down on your luck
this is the rangers victory song
head through the end with a goal (?)
with all your heart and your soul
this is the rangers victory song

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:05 PM
BklyNYR4Life

rumor has it when the league started up again kasper was dj'ing in the locker room during pre and postgame and he'd play sweet caroline after a win and it just sorta stuck.

more importantly, can we bring back to animal house rally montauge (or however the hell you spell it) so much more classic than the ones they have playing nowadays.

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Harry Vee

Didn't Kevin Weekes play Sweet Caroline in the locker room and the team ended up using it? I'm not 100% sure of that, but i thought i read that. If so, we gota get a new song

Harry Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:17 PM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvnolimit View Post
Didn't Kevin Weekes play Sweet Caroline in the locker room and the team ended up using it? I'm not 100% sure of that, but i thought i read that. If so, we gota get a new song
fairly sure it was kasper, i can rewatch the season recap dvd from the 05-06 season they sent me if we really need to confirm it?

Old
08-01-2007, 03:23 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

vCash: 587
It started in the locker room and that's where it should stay. One of the games I went to last year was particularly annoying because there were a group of immature 20-somethings (I'm only 29 myself, btw) mocking the "Potvin Suxxx" chant, not understanding the history of why it's done. The 3rd period was spent whining and waiting to sing "Sweet Caroline" in a drunken stupor.

I'm glad that it evokes pleasant memories for all of you, however for many people who hate the Red Sox and have witnessed it sung in Boston at games (or even watched 'Beautiful Girls' starring Matt Dillon), you don't want to see New Yorkers embracing this awful tradition of THEIRS!

Perhaps I'm a typical-elitest New Yorker, but I don't want to be a part of any copycat traditions. We're an original six team. I don't care if the Rangers Victory Song sounds dated. That's part of our tradition. Why don't we just start throwing an octopus on the ice in the third period at the end of the season like Detroit while we're at it?

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
It started in the locker room and that's where it should stay. One of the games I went to last year was particularly annoying because there were a group of immature 20-somethings (I'm only 29 myself, btw) mocking the "Potvin Suxxx" chant, not understanding the history of why it's done. The 3rd period was spent whining and waiting to sing "Sweet Caroline" in a drunken stupor.

I'm glad that it evokes pleasant memories for all of you, however for many people who hate the Red Sox and have witnessed it sung in Boston at games (or even watched 'Beautiful Girls' starring Matt Dillon), you don't want to see New Yorkers embracing this awful tradition of THEIRS!

Perhaps I'm a typical-elitest New Yorker, but I don't want to be a part of any copycat traditions. We're an original six team. I don't care if the Rangers Victory Song sounds dated. That's part of our tradition. Why don't we just start throwing an octopus on the ice in the third period at the end of the season like Detroit while we're at it?
i'm only 14 and i know about the history of it. how moronic could those people be?

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:36 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

vCash: 587
It was pretty bad. I had never been so annoyed at fellow Rangers fans before, but they were just a bunch of drunken fools who are probably bandwagon fans.

FYI, it was the Rangers/Flyers game from March when Orr KO'd Fedoruk. Of course those "fans" weren't even in their seats during the first minute of the game, so that was probably the most enjoyable part of the evening for me

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:41 PM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post

thats pretty bad with people not getting the Potvin chant, first rangers game I ever went to (bout 11-12 years ago) my dad explained it to me, and whenever I take someone to a game I make sure to explain to them the historical revilence behind it. but this is to be expected since a rangers game is the chic place to be nowadays.

Old
08-01-2007, 11:38 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
fairly sure it was kasper, i can rewatch the season recap dvd from the 05-06 season they sent me if we really need to confirm it?
season recap DVD?? how come I don't have this?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:40 PM
nyrmetros

More Rangers fans need to embrace the Rangers Victory song and learn and sing the lyrics. THAT is OUR tradition.

Old
08-01-2007, 11:54 PM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
season recap DVD?? how come I don't have this?
thems be the perks of season tickets? I just got the 06-07 one sent to me like maybe a month ago. its pretty much a collection of highlights/tv spots from the past season, makes the summer go by faster.

Old
08-02-2007, 12:13 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
thems be the perks of season tickets? I just got the 06-07 one sent to me like maybe a month ago. its pretty much a collection of highlights/tv spots from the past season, makes the summer go by faster.
man I'd love to get copies of those....

Old
08-02-2007, 12:28 AM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
man I'd love to get copies of those....
no DVD burner