HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rate the Ranger Offseason

View Poll Results: Rate the Rangers Offseason
10: Couldn't have hoped for anything better really 16 9.47%
8-9: Very impressed, maybe 1 or 2 small things I would have liked fixed/changed 130 76.92%
5-7: Average, as expected. Nothing great, but nothing really negative either 10 5.92%
3-5: Below Average - Not impressed how things were done this offseason 1 0.59%
1-2: I'd be shocked if we even made the playoffs after the offseason we had 12 7.10%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-02-2007, 12:42 AM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Gotta admit that its funny that the 7 votes for the (1-2: Rangers had a horrible offseason) were from 5 devil fans, 1 Oiler fan, and 1 unknown fan...Nice job guys!

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 12:45 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubled View Post
Over Paid for Gomez - not worth 4.5 let alone 7+
We will regret this in a few - Holik anyone

Maybe, but isnt that a bit premature? Lets see how he plays first.

BTW - he was worth way more then 4.5 million. He would have got much more then that by half the teams in the league.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

A-/8.5 I'd say. If they could have locked up Lundy long term and gotten Shanny to take a little bit less, I think it could have been a 10, but overall very good. Hard to really be angry about it.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Gotta admit that its funny that the 7 votes for the (1-2: Rangers had a horrible offseason) were from 5 devil fans, 1 Oiler fan, and 1 unknown fan...Nice job guys!
not at all surprising. only an idiot or a hater would rate this as a poor offseason talent wise. even yours truly, a true hater of the contracts signed, will readily agree this is probably the most talented team weve seen since...well i dont wanna jinx it, but we all know where im going with this.

based on sheer talent, this is an impressive group thats been assembled, but i would like to add peca if at all possible (ie, cheap)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 02:55 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
A-

I'm not worried about the D situation. Im confident in Mara and Girardi to step up. But if their is problems, a trade mid-season could fix that.
we got alot of NHL depth, maybe we can move some for picks

NHL Dman: Girardi, Kasper, Malik, Rozsival, Tyutin, Strudwick, Hutchinson, Pock. We got 2 many dman, we should trade 1 or 2. And we need a spot for Staal.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:49 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
A-. I would have rathered trade a Dman instead of Cullen, but other than that, the trade was fantastic, the free agency period was awesome, and we re-signed the guys we needed to.
A- too. I do agree that i'd rather have traded a D man. I also think that we slightly overpaid for Crudy and Gomez but im just glad we got them.

Overall, a very good off season though and we now have alot of depth. i also like the moves of talented kids like Busto which bolsters the minor league depth too.

some of the smaller deals like this could end up being big for us. Just as getting Prucha for 1.6 per year for 2 years when he's scored more goals in his first 2 years than Zach Parise who got 3.2m....

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Mirinho

I would give 11, if NYR would play some pre-season match in the Czech republic

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 06:14 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:

BTW - he was worth way more then 4.5 million. He would have got much more then that by half the teams in the league.
You have to love a bitter jersey fan dont you?!?!

The sign Zubrus and overpay for Parise (is he already worth 3.2m? no!) and yet they b1tch about Scotty Gomez bing no more than a 4.5m player?

shame on those Devils fans!!!

Old
08-02-2007, 07:38 AM
nyr7andcounting

B-. Obviously we're better than we were 3 months ago, but not sure how much better.

The only way we really upgraded for the current season was by filling the 2nd line center position (with Drury or Gomez, whoever plays there). So our 2nd line got much better, but that's about it.

I thought we needed to bring in a top Dman but we didn't do that. How much can we have improved if we're going into another season with Malik on the first pair? I guess they are planning on a lot of improvement by the guys we have (Tyutin/Mara mainly). Personally, I would have went after Hannan.

Our PK got ALOT worse. Cullen and Ortmeyer were 2 of our 3 best pkers. Think we're going to miss them. And I don't feel like the young guys who are replacing them (Callahan, Dubinsky, Dawes) are good PKers.

But basically you can't argue too much with anything they did. Gotta take some risks if you want to win. Only thing I definitely would have done differently would be to dump Malik's salary instead of Cullen's.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 07:45 AM
NYRJurgen88

[QUOTE=nyr7andcounting;10085178]B-. Obviously we're better than we were 3 months ago, but not sure how much better.

The only way we really upgraded for the current season was by filling the 2nd line center position (with Drury or Gomez, whoever plays there). So our 2nd line got much better, but that's about it.
QUOTE]

So you dont think by getting younger at the 1st center psoition by 7(!) years isnt an improvement with Gomez?

Drury can penalty kill well, we have Shanny who did a terrific job there, Hollweg can PK, we have one of our better PKers still here in Betts...thats still 4 PKers and doesnt include a player like Straka who can do it too... there are plenty of options there, Avery too PK'd last year...we're not short in the PK dept.

We now have two genuinely top lines and we werent close tot hat last year. Players had to play out of place last year (cullen/Avery @ 2nd center) which effected the whole team.

We have more dpeth now than at the same time last year. We added a ton of character in players like Drury and whilst overpaying for them, the Cullen deal made us keep some cap flexibility.

Its been a good offseason, not many teams improved more than us...

Old
08-02-2007, 08:01 AM
n_a_c

I voted 10 - I can't imagine we could have done much better.

Funny how one of the biggest complaints is that we didn't upgrade the defense, and another big complaint is that we traded Cullen instead of Malik (or Mara). I suppose lots of people value Malik (or Mara) much less than I do. I don't disagree that an upgrade to the defense would have been nice - but to do so under the cap would mean we'd need to make other sacrifices. And I'd rather stick with our existing D (hopefully + Staal) and get Drury & Gomez, rather than get a good D and one of the two centers.

I think the Cullen trade was the way to go and expect the Rangers to have a space for hopefully Dubinsky or Anisimov to step up at some point during the year. I wouldn't be surprised if it is Anisimov. If neither of them do, Dawes or a winger could, and then we'd have to push a winger to the center position. I don't expect we'll sign Peca. I'm not saying I'm happy about not knowing who are third line center will be, but this is MUCH better than not knowing who our second line center will be.

As for the contracts - given Sather's history of being stingy, and Shanahan's statement that he is returning, not sure how he ended up with 1.3 million more than last year. Perhaps what Shanahan stated publicly is different from what his agent said in private, and the raise was required to keep him. Otherwise, I'm puzzled.

Drury & Gomez - we paid market price. Perhaps they could have come for slightly less, but perhaps we'd have gotten neither of them and been screwed. Thrilled with the pickup.

Cherapanov - thrilled that we got him, although it undoubtedly is partially (mostly?) because of luck. I'd guess Sather thought he might still be available, but it clearly wasn't a given.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:11 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
I voted 10 - I can't imagine we could have done much better.

Funny how one of the biggest complaints is that we didn't upgrade the defense, and another big complaint is that we traded Cullen instead of Malik (or Mara). I suppose lots of people value Malik (or Mara) much less than I do. I don't disagree that an upgrade to the defense would have been nice - but to do so under the cap would mean we'd need to make other sacrifices. And I'd rather stick with our existing D (hopefully + Staal) and get Drury & Gomez, rather than get a good D and one of the two centers.

I think the Cullen trade was the way to go and expect the Rangers to have a space for hopefully Dubinsky or Anisimov to step up at some point during the year. I wouldn't be surprised if it is Anisimov. If neither of them do, Dawes or a winger could, and then we'd have to push a winger to the center position. I don't expect we'll sign Peca. I'm not saying I'm happy about not knowing who are third line center will be, but this is MUCH better than not knowing who our second line center will be.

As for the contracts - given Sather's history of being stingy, and Shanahan's statement that he is returning, not sure how he ended up with 1.3 million more than last year. Perhaps what Shanahan stated publicly is different from what his agent said in private, and the raise was required to keep him. Otherwise, I'm puzzled.

Drury & Gomez - we paid market price. Perhaps they could have come for slightly less, but perhaps we'd have gotten neither of them and been screwed. Thrilled with the pickup.

Cherapanov - thrilled that we got him, although it undoubtedly is partially (mostly?) because of luck. I'd guess Sather thought he might still be available, but it clearly wasn't a given.
When i did my grade i completely forgot about Cherepanov!!! happy days!

I think you are spot on about the center pos. I'd rather try and fit a 3rd liner in instead of a key position like a 2nd line center.

Im happy with our D, it has done well for 2 years now, it almost shut down the juggernaught that was Buffalos offense. All i hope for is Staal can come in and do what we all think he can, be an impact player and necessitate a Malik trade!!

Old
08-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:

doesnt mean he is worth more, arbitration awarded him alittle over 5 last year

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 11:49 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty0wns30 View Post
doesnt mean he is worth more, arbitration awarded him alittle over 5 last year
If you are into particulars so much, how could you honestly vote a 1 for this poll?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-03-2007 at 02:52 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 03:12 PM
MoonDragn

This devils fan gave you guys a 5-7. I think Drury was a great choice, but you should have kept Nylander, he was good with Jagr. I think gomez will not produce as much as you expect him to.

MoonDragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersMoogle View Post
I'd give it a B-. Right now, the present looks good, but the next three, four years are going to be intereting. Let's hope the cap shoots up so things don't look as potentially ominous.
I completely agree, I'm very excited for this year but a little worried how the salaries are going to work long-term.

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 03:29 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I think the 1-2 was done by Islanders fans

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 09:13 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
i would say a A- only because we lost Jed, Rachunek and cullen but, we still got all the important contracts done (Hank and Avery) with the addition of Gomez and Drury

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNiteDumpsterBaby View Post
Solid A.

Would've rather lost Mara than Cullen.
Would've liked to get a top pairing D-man.
Would've liked to see our two new guys signed for slightly less.
The Avery BS could have been avoided.

But those are rather small complaints. Great job, Glenny!
I disagree that the Avery BS could have been avoided, it pretty much sounds like Avery went against the rules of conduct and shared some information that was never meant for the media.

I've no doubt every team going to arbitration tries to down play a player's contributions and highlight his faults, just like every player presents himself much better than he truly is, that's the idea of arbitration isn't it?

Like someone said earlier in this thread, I would have preferred getting Drury and keeping Nylander, but I really can't be too displeased with Gomez, he adds lots of speed and nifty playmaking ability.

Overall I really like the Rangers' look after this off season, I give it an A-.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Merlin401

if we win a Cup, then you have to give it high marks. If not, you have to wait a few years. The Holik/Kasparaitis off-season looked good at the time but lets see how things are 6 years down the road if there's no Cup.

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 09:38 PM
The Thomas J.*

A-
loved the Drury Signing, Thought we over paid for Gomez, Would have liked to see more defenition @ the Backup Goal tending spot, Defense we are kind of handcuffed, Hopefully those needs can & will be filled from within. Loved that we were able to sign all of our UFA's & RFA's that we wanted back.
Would have liked to see the Kasperitis situation hammered out before camp started.
Loved what we did @ the Draft.
My only real concern is chemistry out of the gate, how many games are we going to give away until we gel.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 09:50 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
A-
My only real concern is chemistry out of the gate, how many games are we going to give away until we gel.
yea im a little nervous about that too but hopefully they will gel very fast.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 09:54 PM
OSUlakers

unbelievable that anyone would have chosen anything below a 10. how selfish. you lock up your all star goalie, sign some of the best free agents in the market, and somehow stay under cap with names like jagr, drury, gomez, shannahan, and lundqvist. obviously things could have been better than what you had but is that realistic? no.

OSUlakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 10:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUlakers View Post
unbelievable that anyone would have chosen anything below a 10. how selfish. you lock up your all star goalie, sign some of the best free agents in the market, and somehow stay under cap with names like jagr, drury, gomez, shannahan, and lundqvist. obviously things could have been better than what you had but is that realistic? no.
Well, there is no doubt that the team is improved. I have a slight concern that we've left ourselves in a sticky situation moving forward with the cap, and I wish that we could have done something to upgrade the defense a bit. I voted a 9, which means the offseason wasn't absolutely perfect, but was damn good. What's the problem with that?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 11:01 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I like the trolls coming in and voting from other boards. It's a public poll guys

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote