HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT - Planning a trip to NYC

Old
08-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Jovofan

vCash: 500
OT - Planning a trip to NYC

Hey guys. I may be coming to NYC sometime in '08 and thought I would ask a few questions hoping that you can help me out with my plans and such. I know pretty much nothing about New York, not sure the layout of the city etc. I've been checking airline prices and the flights into Newark seem to be fairly reasonable, is that too far out of the city or would it be a better move to fly into JFK?

How easy is it to get around? Is the public transit system reliable? What about cabs, I'm assuming they're pretty pricey?

I'm not exactly sure when I'd be coming so I don't know what season I'll be there for. If I went to a Yankees game would I need advance tickets or could I get them on game day? Same question regarding the Knicks, Rangers etc. What about the Giants or Jets, how far away is the stadium from downtown?

I'm guessing that the hotels downtown would cost an arm and a leg, is there any other place I could stay but is still close enough to downtown that I won't need to travel 2 hours to get there?

What kind of other touristy things do you suggest? Any places I should avoid going? (ie - unsafe for tourists).

I know I asked a lot of questions in here, sorry to take up so much of your time but I appreciate the help! Thanks a lot!

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 07:47 PM
broadwayblue

Do a search and you should find a few threads as others have asked similar questions. I think there was a sticky at one point but it seems to have been undone. If you still have questions we'll be happy to help.

If you can fly into LGA that's your best bet as it's closer to the city and the cab fare cost about half as much as it will be from JFK. I haven't priced it from Newark but that's also going to be considerably more than LGA.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:06 PM
stc1709*

Send a message via AIM to stc1709*
for hotels theres a holiday inn, right in manhattan not sure on teh price there good hotels, also there are buses that run from airports to the port authority and vice versa, which is right in the city

stc1709* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:12 PM
gers*

for hotels, try to priceline a 4 star hotel in the city.
the priceline negotiator is your friend

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:22 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Hey guys. I may be coming to NYC sometime in '08 and thought I would ask a few questions hoping that you can help me out with my plans and such. I know pretty much nothing about New York, not sure the layout of the city etc. I've been checking airline prices and the flights into Newark seem to be fairly reasonable, is that too far out of the city or would it be a better move to fly into JFK?

How easy is it to get around? Is the public transit system reliable? What about cabs, I'm assuming they're pretty pricey?

I'm not exactly sure when I'd be coming so I don't know what season I'll be there for. If I went to a Yankees game would I need advance tickets or could I get them on game day? Same question regarding the Knicks, Rangers etc. What about the Giants or Jets, how far away is the stadium from downtown?

I'm guessing that the hotels downtown would cost an arm and a leg, is there any other place I could stay but is still close enough to downtown that I won't need to travel 2 hours to get there?

What kind of other touristy things do you suggest? Any places I should avoid going? (ie - unsafe for tourists).

I know I asked a lot of questions in here, sorry to take up so much of your time but I appreciate the help! Thanks a lot!
Flying in? go to the discount airline sites and check all airports. Newark, Laguardia, and JFK.

Hotels? I have been told the New Yorker which is right across from MSG is fairly cheap at about 129/night. I know a guy from Toronto who stays there whenever he is in town, which is usually 2 or 3 times per year.

If you come for a Yankees game, you can easily get the subway to the stadium. For Jets/Giants they have busses that leave the Port Authority to the Stadium and back on gamedays. The Port Authority is 42nd and 9th, so a 10 minute walk from MSG.

As for tickets, yankee tickets can be hard to come by, the Jets and Giants are already sold out but if you go to the stadium the day of the game, there will be plenty of people selling in the parking lots. Knicks? If you bring sneakers and shorts they might let you play. Rangers, same as Giants and Jets. Will probably be sold out the day of the game, but there will be people around the arena looking to sell. Just be careful, lots of fake tickets with the MSG scalpers.

Touristy things, do the Empire State Building. Avoid Statue of Liberty. Instead, get on the SI Ferry, it is the closest you can get to the Statue without going to the Statue itself. The Statue is usually crowded and from what I understand, not much to see anymore.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Jovofan

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I'll probably try StubHub for tickets to whichever game I decide to go to. Seems like the best bet as I like to avoid scalpers after getting burned a few times in Vancouver for Canuck games.

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 10:44 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post

well, i've been a handful of times(wish i was living there right now dammit...err, but anyway back on topic...i mean off topic...whatever).

about the public transportation angle, i personally think it's just fine. my advice is to go to any subway station once you arrive and get settled into a place, pay for a metrocard, ask the booth operator for a map and stick to the subways. my experiences on city buses all my life have been not-so-pleasant and in nyc the buses, like the subways, are always crowded and uncomfortable looking. but at least on the subways you don't have to deal with the interruptions of traffic (both auto and pedestrian) and the trains take you wherever you want in little to no time. also after rush hour in the mornings on weekdays a lot of trains aren't crowded at all and at all times they come and go fairly quickly. contrary to what you may have seen in past movies, you don't have to run to catch one train before it departs; there's usually another not far behind.

walking around manhattan is the easiest layout i've ever seen in a city. even if a train doesn't drop you off at a site you want to see it's zero problem to walk over, especially true for anything in manhattan. it's part of the reason i love being there when i am because everything and everywhere i want to be is all within reach. the combo of walking/subway riding can't be beat.

as for taxis, well they are bit pricey but again the natural layout of the city is the advantage here. there is always going to be traffic anywhere you look, but if you can avoid something huge like being around an accident or any big construction work then you won't complain about what you're paying. taxis are all over in manhattan so you won't have a problem finding one and little difficulty hailing one when needed. but if you feel like venturing out of manhattan and you want to be driven around then schedule ahead and call a town car service because yellow cabs are virtually non-existent for the outer boroughs.

all in all, i say before you go just take time to search the web (i.e. wikipedia gives you good info on any neighborhood in the entire city), figure out places of interests, and you'll be fine. hope i helped.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:42 PM
nyrmetros

try craiglist as well for tix. but stubhub is 100% guaranteed.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
I don't understand how someone (only going by your info next to your name) who lives in NH completely understands how easy it is to get around NYC. Wish I could say the same for the people who actually live here...

I work for the MTA (I'm a Conductor on the 7 train) and it was really refreshing to hear you tell this person what he/she can do in order to get around with ease by simply asking the booth attendant for a map. I would gladly accept you residing here in NY.

Anyhow, while the subway can be the fastest way around town...it is by no means 100% effective. Anyone who lives in NY will tell you the trains suck LoL. Even though they have improved over the last 10 years, you are always a signal malfunction, sick passenger or police investigation away from an otherwise pleasant commute. This is coming from someone who works there 5-6 days a week for the last 7 years. I'm not saying it's like this everyday but just be prepared in case things do happen.

Manhattan is cake. It's North, South, East, or West for the most part. If you get lost, just ask one of the 2 billion people walking around, I'm sure one of them can help ya out.

I also wanted to point out that while it is less crowded during non rush hour, you gotta be careful and pay close attention to the announcements being made by the Conductor. Especially between the hours of 11am-3pm. This is usually reserved for construction on any given line and if you miss the announcements you can really screw yourself up and get lost by either missing your stop, or being re-routed in another direction. Ask anyone who has visited NY and been through it. So keep those ears tuned.

Just a heads up and some advice from a Rapid Transit Operator.

*EDIT*...And YES!...there's another train right behind it!! I don't wanna see any Superman dives into the train doors before they close ok!! Man have I got stories...I should have my own section reserved for them lmao.

-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
well, i've been a handful of times(wish i was living there right now dammit...err, but anyway back on topic...i mean off topic...whatever).

about the public transportation angle, i personally think it's just fine. my advice is to go to any subway station once you arrive and get settled into a place, pay for a metrocard, ask the booth operator for a map and stick to the subways. my experiences on city buses all my life have been not-so-pleasant and in nyc the buses, like the subways, are always crowded and uncomfortable looking. but at least on the subways you don't have to deal with the interruptions of traffic (both auto and pedestrian) and the trains take you wherever you want in little to no time. also after rush hour in the mornings on weekdays a lot of trains aren't crowded at all and at all times they come and go fairly quickly. contrary to what you may have seen in past movies, you don't have to run to catch one train before it departs; there's usually another not far behind.

walking around manhattan is the easiest layout i've ever seen in a city. even if a train doesn't drop you off at a site you want to see it's zero problem to walk over, especially true for anything in manhattan. it's part of the reason i love being there when i am because everything and everywhere i want to be is all within reach. the combo of walking/subway riding can't be beat.

as for taxis, well they are bit pricey but again the natural layout of the city is the advantage here. there is always going to be traffic anywhere you look, but if you can avoid something huge like being around an accident or any big construction work then you won't complain about what you're paying. taxis are all over in manhattan so you won't have a problem finding one and little difficulty hailing one when needed. but if you feel like venturing out of manhattan and you want to be driven around then schedule ahead and call a town car service because yellow cabs are virtually non-existent for the outer boroughs.

all in all, i say before you go just take time to search the web (i.e. wikipedia gives you good info on any neighborhood in the entire city), figure out places of interests, and you'll be fine. hope i helped.

Last edited by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD: 08-01-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 12:02 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
I don't understand how someone (only going by your info next to your name) who lives in NH completely understands how easy it is to get around NYC. Wish I could say the same for the people who actually live here...

I work for the MTA (I'm a Conductor on the 7 train) and it was really refreshing to hear you tell this person what he/she can do in order to get around with ease by simply asking the booth attendant for a map. I would gladly accept you residing here in NY.

-B
thanks i appreciate that and welcome to the board.

actually, coincidence of all coincidences, there's a couple of places in queens i go to every time i'm down there so i'm very familiar to the 7. and honestly if/when i get to be there for good i'm sure i'd see you often.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 12:33 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

As long as you dont bring Jovanowski with you you're good. Have fun Jovofan.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
thanks i appreciate that and welcome to the board.

actually, coincidence of all coincidences, there's a couple of places in queens i go to every time i'm down there so i'm very familiar to the 7. and honestly if/when i get to be there for good i'm sure i'd see you often.
Cool...hey man, how many people think you're that hott chick in your avatar? LoL

OK sorry back on topic...

-B

Old
08-02-2007, 01:36 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Jovo - consider flying in to JFK or Newark and taking AirTrain JFK or AirTrain Newark in to NYC.

08-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Jovo - consider flying in to JFK or Newark and taking AirTrain JFK or AirTrain Newark in to NYC.
Yeah if you don't have a lot of bags AirTrain from JFK is a great option. Save like 50 bucks.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 02:37 PM
CrookedRain

Hey man. Manhattan is ridiculously easy to get around in. Most of it is set up in a grid so you know where you are. There are also maps everywhere.

The transportation system is a piece of cake. Taxis, buses, trains and the subway system are easily available. As a matter of fact, the train station is right underneath Madison Square Garden.

if you want, you can stay at a hotel in NJ that is close to the train station, like say Hoboken, and you can take either the path or any of the trains that go into NY. that will probably be cheaper than staying at a hotel in the city. Heck, I live in Somerville, which is about 20-30 miles outside the city and getting into the city is a snap and hotels are dirt cheap.

Giants/Jets stadium is a pain. You can't get there by train - you need to drive there and if you're new around these parts I don't recommend it. Giants and Jets tix are hard to come by unless you go there the day of the game and get them from scalpers.

Obviously you should go see the Metropolitan Museum, The Guggenheim and The Museum of Modern Art. They are all very easy to get to. The Statue of liberty is kind of far from midtown but easily accessible. Go to Union Sq. That place is cool and Irving Plaza and Webster Hall are near there so you may even be able to catch some concerts. The other places for concerts that are cool are the beacon theater, nokia theater, hammerstein ballroom, b.b. king's and a few other places.

I would also recommend going to the library. There is a nice park by there and they put out tables and chairs on the lawn and a block down is, in my opinion, the best building in the city - it's underground - Grand Central Station. Just walk past NYU and the library and keep your eyes peeled for Grand Central Station - a lot of people going in and out. It's way cool.

there are so many things to see in the city... I recommend just walking you will see a lot of awesome things. And, no, Manhattan is not dangerous. I've been going there for years on my own and never had any trouble.

Have fun. NYC rules.

CrookedRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:06 PM
nyrmetros

And if you want the true NYC drinking experience, I reccomend going to Nevada Smiths located on 3rd ave between 11th and 12th streets at 7 am on a saturday morning.

Old
08-02-2007, 04:29 PM
NYR89

not to hijack the thread....

but from PA what is the best way to get to MSG for a rangers game?

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

depends what part of PA? I'm sure if you mapquested it you'd be able to find out.

If you could...use the Lincoln Tunnel once you get close, it leaves you the closest but also has the most traffic at rush hour.

-B

Old
08-02-2007, 05:17 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
not to hijack the thread....

but from PA what is the best way to get to MSG for a rangers game?
PA = Pennsylvania or the Port Authority bus terminal near Times Square ?

Old
08-02-2007, 05:17 PM
NYR89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
depends what part of PA? I'm sure if you mapquested it you'd be able to find out.

If you could...use the Lincoln Tunnel once you get close, it leaves you the closest but also has the most traffic at rush hour.

-B

i'm comming in from hershey...and we took the luncoln last season and we hit insane traffic and ended up missing the first 6 or 7 minutes of the game..that's the only reason i asked..is it better to park in NJ and take a train over?

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 06:37 PM
pappyline

I will be visiting NY in Oct. Can't find a decent hotel under $250/night. Do they exist?

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
i'm comming in from hershey...and we took the luncoln last season and we hit insane traffic and ended up missing the first 6 or 7 minutes of the game..that's the only reason i asked..is it better to park in NJ and take a train over?
That's not a bad idea actually since NJ Transit also goes into Penn Station if I remember correctly. Hoboken, or the Newark stops I believe are the closest but would still require you to get there at least 20-30 minutes before since most Rangers game start while the PM rush is still in effect.

Don't quote me on that tho, I'm a New York City Transit employee and know nothing about NJ Transit...LoL.

-B

Old
08-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
I will be visiting NY in Oct. Can't find a decent hotel under $250/night. Do they exist?

Yea...so does Santa Clause. LoL

No they really don't if you are trying to stay in Manhattan. Try one of the outer Boroughs like Queens. I doubt you wanna stay in the Bronx. Not so pleasant over there lol.

-B

Old
08-02-2007, 06:57 PM
MadHookUp

I live near King of Prussia in Pennsylvania. I like to drive to NJ and take the train up. Usually Trenton train station. NJ Transit train tickets are fairly cheap. Takes about 1:15 minutes to get to NY City and you exit right in Penn Station. If I were to go to a Rangers game, I would always do that. Much nicer than dealing with all the traffic and expensive parking.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
IMO, Best way to get into MSG is by train to Penn Station.... from NJ or wherever.... hotels in NYC are expensive (duh).. i stayed in the hotel new yorker which is in midtown Manhattan and that was over 300 for one night.... depending on how far away you are you might want to drive to somewhere in NJ, take a train and then be able to drive back to where you came from or grab a hotel near that train station.... just my two cents...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote