Originally Posted by admiral_CB View Post
Edmonton's recent finishes:

06-07: 25th
05-06: 14th
03-04: 17th
02-03: 14th
01-02: 15th

So in the lottery or pretty damn close.
Actually, just as a point of reference, the Oilers have never been in the lottery. They would have this past year except they beat Calgary in the final game of the year to push themselves out of the running for #1. 14-17 are nowhere near the lottery.

gdog31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:34 PM
gdog31

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
I wonder where Edmonton fans get this illusion they are going to be solid next season. The only player who scored over 20 goals last year for them is the player they just got from us.

Top 10 pick here we come!
The forwards all sucked because they didn't have a d-man that could get them the puck... that's changed a bit. The system they play allows for no-namers to play well defensively - last year it was the front end that hurt us. Will they be as good as the Ducks next year, no. Will they be competitive and reasonably entertaining to watch - I think so. They're definitely better than last year with the additions they've made. I don't know how many Edmonton fans could truly say we think they're going to be "solid"... I certainly haven't read too many posts here that make that conclusion.

gdog31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:53 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog31 View Post
Actually, just as a point of reference, the Oilers have never been in the lottery. They would have this past year except they beat Calgary in the final game of the year to push themselves out of the running for #1. 14-17 are nowhere near the lottery.
Depends on your definition of lottery. 17th place is in the lottery too. That's my definition of a "lottery pick."

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:00 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Depends on your definition of lottery. 17th place is in the lottery too. That's my definition of a "lottery pick."
17th place is a #7 seed playoff team. If your going to define that as a "lottery pick", you might as we go all the way up to 30

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:15 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

17th place, not a 17th overall draft pick. 17th place = 14th draft pick = lottery. Unless you're saying the Oilers 25th place last year means their 6th pick should have been 25th.

I suggest you delete your post before too many people see it.

Old
08-02-2007, 10:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
....and now people see the effects of the LA Times choice not to cover the Ducks and the Kings on the road.
Yeah, but the Kings have Rich Hammond and that makes it ok for us.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:46 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
17th place, not a 17th overall draft pick. 17th place = 14th draft pick = lottery. Unless you're saying the Oilers 25th place last year means their 6th pick should have been 25th.

I suggest you delete your post before too many people see it.

Delete my post? Your the one who seems to be going around in circles before getting to the point. If your referring to the 14th overall draft pick than just say it as such. What's with the the 17th place = 14th overall? When people talk about the draft order, they go from worst to first, not the other way around, like you seem to be doing.

Old
08-02-2007, 10:55 PM
hockeydemon05

Send a message via AIM to hockeydemon05
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
Delete my post? Your the one who seems to be going around in circles before getting to the point. If your referring to the 14th overall draft pick than just say it as such. What's with the the 17th place = 14th overall? When people talk about the draft order, they go from worst to first, not the other way around, like you seem to be doing.
I still don't see whats so hard to understand about finishing in 17th place being a lottery pick.

hockeydemon05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:59 PM
hfboardsuser

I'm loving how having a middle-of-the-draft pick instead of a later-first is enough to cause great joy in you folks. Never mind that this draft is so deep that the player you get at 15 is going to be as good as the guy at 20 or 25.

Quote:
So answer me this, which of those d-men are worth a superstar player?
Come off it, you know as well as I do that there are have been multiple deals for superstars that were hideously one-sided since the cap came into play. Is Brewer/Lynch/Woywitka worth Pronger? No, but it happened anyway. Are Primeau, Stuart and Sturm worth Thornton? Hell no, but hmm, I still see Jumbo Joe in a Sharks uniform. Don't pretend like it never happens.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:00 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Look at the post I was responding to:
Quote:
Which was in response to this
Quote:
Edmonton's recent finishes:

06-07: 25th
05-06: 14th
03-04: 17th
02-03: 14th
01-02: 15th

So in the lottery or pretty damn close.
The entire conversation is talking about what place the Oilers have been finishing. There's no circles whatsoever. And I even clarified to say "17th place."

The delete part was just a suggestion so you could spare some embarrassment for a simple mistake, nothing malicious meant by it. Although it probably didn't sound very nice.

Old
08-02-2007, 11:05 PM
xlnc66

Alright, point taken

Old
08-02-2007, 11:06 PM
lux_interior

So, I guess still no cc transcript?

lux_interior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:06 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voros19 View Post
You can't be serious.
What's wrong with it? He's right- a fire sale involves selling assets at a lower-than-market price because you need to. Every player mentioned there has more value to the Ducks than anyone else, hence they must be sold for lower value... which fits the definition.

But feel free to try and change the definitions of words.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:17 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior View Post
So, I guess still no cc transcript?
Yeah a transcript would be nice. The Edmonton station lost the feed in the middle, and I think that's where Burke talked about trading the pick (either that or I zoned out somewhere).

Old
08-02-2007, 11:28 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Who needs a transcript? We have video!
http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=335583

Old
08-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Jezz*

Quote:
It's not like Burke is gonna do much with those draft picks anyways. His drafting the last few seasons with the Canucks was just horrible. He is good at making trades, and inherited some good prospects when he came to Anaheim..ie. Getzlaf, Perry.
He also inherited the same scouting staff Murray had when they picked Getlzaf and Perry.

Jezz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 12:32 AM
AgentNaslund*

genius move by Burke. I thought hes gonna match, because you have to protect your assets, but he did say, if a team is willing to overpay, then let them make the stupid decision. Hes also making a gamble that Edmonton finishes last in the NOrthwest division (not even making the playoffs). So basically, the oddes of them not making the playoffs is alot of higher, cause chances are, even as a hockey fan, I think Edmonton is easily the weakest link off the 4 teams, (Calgary Colorado, Vancouver, Minnesota) Edmonton is still behind those teams.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
He's trying to insinuate that it's bad for every team in the league, when clearly that's not possible in a revenue-linked system. Some teams will be hurt by inflated salaries for RFAs - namely, those teams with attractive RFAs-to-be who happen to be near the cap or budgetary constraints. Other teams will be able to benefit from the change in RFA valuation - those without top-level RFAs to re-sign, and those with cap/budget space to spare.
There's some idiotic Edmonton logic for you. Offer sheets can't hurt us because we suck at building our own team. Burke has no right to be mad that he CAN and then gets penalized for it.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 01:01 AM
CB420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Burke's a hypocrite for saying Penner is not worth the money, but then turning around and giving Bertuzzi $4 million. At least Penner has upside, Bertuzzi is likely to get worse.

Secondly, if Burke keeps saying he has no problem with offer sheets, then why should a team offer a lowball offer sheet? All that means is the other team would match. If you're going to go for an offer sheet you might as well make it an offer the other team won't match.
Exactly, well said soundwave...thats the thing that sorta gets twisted in this. Burke didnt nessicarily admit today in that press.conf, that he never thought of Getzlaf or Perry in higher regards than Penner. If Im Burky i prolly do the same thing.

Nonis did not have to match the Kessler contract, for around 1.7 or w/e. one american writer sort of inferred that this is a rare thing, GMs usually decide to match. Like you mentioned though sw, that why lowball the player. Kevin Lowe said before all the dust settled with Vanek, that if you're offering this contract to RFA's they have to be lucrative deals, and worth it for the team going after them.

KLowe mentioned that the length of the contract is because of the draft picks involves. Makes sense totally, if for say, we signed Penner today for like a 2 year deal for 4Mill, then give up the same 1st,2nd, 3rd round picks, it's not fair compensation etc.

IMo, I can get this from Burkes point of view, im not sure what the reaction is from Ducks fans,. of this going down. If after the entry level contract expires Group2 I believe, a team made an effort to sign Stoll from the Oilers. Its tough comparing those 2 specific players though, Stoll and Penner. Jarret Stoll was drafted first of all, if Penner was drafted and playing in his first full season, and another team plucks him off your roster, I would be sweatin too.

You can't really predict future talent of a player and how he might translate in 3 or 4 years ahead in his NHL career,I guess thats the scouts job, but you can sure put odds on it and have to pay the coin for it. Its a real strategic move, Im not sure if I nessicarily agree though man, that we're affecting ever other team in the league. Maybe in some ways we are, Penner's contract wont inflate the league. Comparible players tho it would for sure, of that age group, I.E Burke mentioned in that press.conf Parise getting his 4 years for 12...Not 1 of the 30 GM's in the NHL would take Bertuzzi at 4-mill a season over Penner at 4.25, thats a fair knock against Burke, he might have another trick up his sleeve stashed in his pocket for down the road, Brian Burke is a slyfox he knows this business, he was asst.Commisoner at one point in the early 90's. I got respect for that, he's been a real credible GM, Brutally honest, he will say what he feels, maybe it's perceived that Burke is a whiner, in some way I agree he is contracdicting himself on the Beruzzi deal, he never had to Ink Bert to his contract Early July. Im not sure what his gameplan for that is.

The old, classic saying right, about Hockey players never forget, well it's twice that among the GMs and their brethern It's a legit move, this Dustin Penner transaction. Burkie allready said he thinks we're guiding our team into the sewer, so Penner sounds like he has alot to prove to his old team. Of course when Anaheim played Edmonton last season, we hoped Lupul had something to prove to his old club

With all the politics n everything about this aside, it's poetic justice more then anything We' were owed one, Burke won't have that same mentality though.

Remember Sedin is not sweedish for Hook...Slash..., Crosscheck me in the face! =D

Last edited by CB420: 08-03-2007 at 01:08 AM.
CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 01:15 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
...and if they don't, Burke is going to have to have a fire sale to get under cap. The only person on the team with a NTC is Giggy.
If Niedermayer retires we could fit Hossa under the budget by trading Bryz and Marchant. not that I think it'll happen but those are the two that will probably be gone first.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Akingnomore07*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
If Niedermayer retires we could fit Hossa under the budget by trading Bryz and Marchant. not that I think it'll happen but those are the two that will probably be gone first.
O man! Hossa would be wicked on the Ducks. That guy is also a beast with the puck

Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
The forwards all sucked because they didn't have a d-man that could get them the puck... that's changed a bit. The system they play allows for no-namers to play well defensively - last year it was the front end that hurt us. Will they be as good as the Ducks next year, no. Will they be competitive and reasonably entertaining to watch - I think so. They're definitely better than last year with the additions they've made. I don't know how many Edmonton fans could truly say we think they're going to be "solid"... I certainly haven't read too many posts here that make that conclusion.
So what's the excuse for the excuse for all the GA? They certainly have not improved in that department.

Old
08-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
genius move by Burke. I thought hes gonna match, because you have to protect your assets, but he did say, if a team is willing to overpay, then let them make the stupid decision. Hes also making a gamble that Edmonton finishes last in the NOrthwest division (not even making the playoffs). So basically, the oddes of them not making the playoffs is alot of higher, cause chances are, even as a hockey fan, I think Edmonton is easily the weakest link off the 4 teams, (Calgary Colorado, Vancouver, Minnesota) Edmonton is still behind those teams.
Honestly I can't say Edmonton is as good as any of those 4 teams. They still have done nothing to prevent goals. Pitkanen may be a puck mover but he played like a girl last year, Souray is not a puck mover really.

They have a near 40 year old goalie, no offensive superstar, and a defense that won't be known for it's defensive ability.

Old
08-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB420 View Post
Exactly, well said soundwave...thats the thing that sorta gets twisted in this. Burke didnt nessicarily admit today in that press.conf, that he never thought of Getzlaf or Perry in higher regards than Penner. If Im Burky i prolly do the same thing.

Nonis did not have to match the Kessler contract, for around 1.7 or w/e. one american writer sort of inferred that this is a rare thing, GMs usually decide to match. Like you mentioned though sw, that why lowball the player. Kevin Lowe said before all the dust settled with Vanek, that if you're offering this contract to RFA's they have to be lucrative deals, and worth it for the team going after them.

KLowe mentioned that the length of the contract is because of the draft picks involves. Makes sense totally, if for say, we signed Penner today for like a 2 year deal for 4Mill, then give up the same 1st,2nd, 3rd round picks, it's not fair compensation etc.

IMo, I can get this from Burkes point of view, im not sure what the reaction is from Ducks fans,. of this going down. If after the entry level contract expires Group2 I believe, a team made an effort to sign Stoll from the Oilers. Its tough comparing those 2 specific players though, Stoll and Penner. Jarret Stoll was drafted first of all, if Penner was drafted and playing in his first full season, and another team plucks him off your roster, I would be sweatin too.

You can't really predict future talent of a player and how he might translate in 3 or 4 years ahead in his NHL career,I guess thats the scouts job, but you can sure put odds on it and have to pay the coin for it. Its a real strategic move, Im not sure if I nessicarily agree though man, that we're affecting ever other team in the league. Maybe in some ways we are, Penner's contract wont inflate the league. Comparible players tho it would for sure, of that age group, I.E Burke mentioned in that press.conf Parise getting his 4 years for 12...Not 1 of the 30 GM's in the NHL would take Bertuzzi at 4-mill a season over Penner at 4.25, thats a fair knock against Burke, he might have another trick up his sleeve stashed in his pocket for down the road, Brian Burke is a slyfox he knows this business, he was asst.Commisoner at one point in the early 90's. I got respect for that, he's been a real credible GM, Brutally honest, he will say what he feels, maybe it's perceived that Burke is a whiner, in some way I agree he is contracdicting himself on the Beruzzi deal, he never had to Ink Bert to his contract Early July. Im not sure what his gameplan for that is.

The old, classic saying right, about Hockey players never forget, well it's twice that among the GMs and their brethern It's a legit move, this Dustin Penner transaction. Burkie allready said he thinks we're guiding our team into the sewer, so Penner sounds like he has alot to prove to his old team. Of course when Anaheim played Edmonton last season, we hoped Lupul had something to prove to his old club

With all the politics n everything about this aside, it's poetic justice more then anything We' were owed one, Burke won't have that same mentality though.

Remember Sedin is not sweedish for Hook...Slash..., Crosscheck me in the face! =D
Umm I do believe Burke signed Bertuzzi to that way before Penner got any such offer, additionally Bertuzzi has been an all star in this league, and is a year removed from a 70+ point season. Penner just came off a year where he averaged a half a ppg. Penner will probably improve but his quality of linemates won't be the same, playing with Hemsky and such will not work because of his feet.

Old
08-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Offshore Oil

Anaheim's a weaker team today than yesterday. Duckpuck fans should now ask - "What is Burke doing to rectify that?" Looks like it's hard staying elite in a salary-capped world.

Penner is more valuable to the Oilers, as it turns out.

Offshore Oil is offline   Reply With Quote