HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blair Betts

Old
08-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Fireonk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocks View Post
Betts- top Pk foward in the nhl
top shot blocking foaward in the nhl
I think you might seriously be overstating Betts' ability.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:01 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
he may not be the best in those two areas but i think he is definitely underrated among checking centers in the NHL- Pahlsson, Fisher, Brind'amour are the guys that get the attention but Betts is just as good as these guys when it comes to playing defense and on the PK- his offensive abilities are pretty decent as well but i like how he sticks to his role of defense first- keep him

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:36 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
well i don't know where your getting your info. nothing you have listed above whether its right or not is a trade. in a trade, you lose the player, we never lost richter and messier walked to vancouver, we didn't trade him.

Go to TSN if you want. Otherwise have it your way--I'll have it mine.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 04:13 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireonk View Post
I think you might seriously be overstating Betts' ability.
agreed last 2 years he wasn't even the best on his own team (ortmeyer).

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 05:06 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
agreed last 2 years he wasn't even the best on his own team (ortmeyer).
Hey, he isnt the best PKr in the league but his combination of skills make him very good depth guy.

Ortmeyer couldnt put a puck into a 10 ft wide open goal, whereas Betts has SOME offensive skills... he blocks shots, forechecks, and has a very good defensive conscience, and add to that, that he is a very efficient face off man and you have the makings of a very solid bottom six guy.

Betts was/is a far better overall player than Ortmeyer.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 06:02 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
Hey, he isnt the best PKr in the league but his combination of skills make him very good depth guy.

Ortmeyer couldnt put a puck into a 10 ft wide open goal, whereas Betts has SOME offensive skills... he blocks shots, forechecks, and has a very good defensive conscience, and add to that, that he is a very efficient face off man and you have the makings of a very solid bottom six guy.

Betts was/is a far better overall player than Ortmeyer.
no one said ortmeyer was a goal scorer. he blocked shots better than betts and was better on the pk.

Old
08-03-2007, 06:11 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
no one said ortmeyer was a goal scorer. he blocked shots better than betts and was better on the pk.
My point is that betts is the better player and would be more sorely missed than Ortmeyer. Ortmeyer almost exclusively killed penalites. Yes he was good at it, and he too blocked shots but he brought little else to the team on the ice.

You have to remember too, that faceoffs are a key part of penalty killing. You get that puck and you can instantly kill off 20 seconds. In that regard Betts was the more important penalty killer than Ortmeyer.

I appreciated what Orts did, and the way he returned so well froma serious condition but i'd rather take Betts any day.

Old
08-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Fireonk

Yes, Betts is a better overall player then Ortmeyer.
I agree he's a more important penalty killer due to his faceoff ability. Its pretty close though (and definately not the best in the league)
But, theres no way hes a better shot blocker then Orts, let alone in the entire league.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 07:21 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireonk View Post
Yes, Betts is a better overall player then Ortmeyer.
I agree he's a more important penalty killer due to his faceoff ability. Its pretty close though (and definately not the best in the league)
But, theres no way hes a better shot blocker then Orts, let alone in the entire league.
Im not saying Betts is the best in the league at pk'ing or shot blocking. If anything im saying he is a very valuable depth player for the rangers, that i'd take him over Orts and yes... he is one of the better bottom 6 in the league.

Old
08-03-2007, 07:58 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
Im not saying Betts is the best in the league at pk'ing or shot blocking. If anything im saying he is a very valuable depth player for the rangers, that i'd take him over Orts and yes... he is one of the better bottom 6 in the league.
yes faceoffs are important when on the pk and betts controls that part of the game well. even with that being said, ortmeyer was still a better penalty killer than him and i think betts is a good penalty killer. no knock on his game at all, ortmeyer was just better athe the pk. you are right though that betts is better overall.

Last edited by chip chipperson*: 08-03-2007 at 08:08 AM.