HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs get Leetch!!!

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 06:33 PM
BlueBlood17

vCash: 500
Don't ask me why I did this, I was bored and was killing time before Leetch's debut, so I made a list of Leaf draft picks since 1990 who have either had significant NHL careers (at least in terms of GP), or players who currently are making their mark and have shown signs of being able to be NHLers for years to come.

Stajan
Antropov
Ponikarovsky
Pilar
Tellqvist
Dempsey
Mair
Tremblay
Modin
Berezin
Markov
Kaberle
Jonsson
Marshall
Perreault
Mironov
VandenBussche
Berehowsky
Lacroix
Potvin
Hendrickson

Old
03-04-2004, 08:08 PM
BIG FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood17
Don't ask me why I did this, I was bored and was killing time before Leetch's debut, so I made a list of Leaf draft picks since 1990 who have either had significant NHL careers (at least in terms of GP), or players who currently are making their mark and have shown signs of being able to be NHLers for years to come.

Stajan
Antropov
Ponikarovsky
Pilar
Tellqvist
Dempsey
Mair
Tremblay
Modin
Berezin
Markov
Kaberle
Jonsson
Marshall
Perreault
Mironov
VandenBussche
Berehowsky
Lacroix
Potvin
Hendrickson
How many of these players are still with the Leafs and were drafted by them? 2/3 of these guys are also pluggers.

Old
03-04-2004, 08:14 PM
BlueBlood17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG FAN
How many of these players are still with the Leafs and were drafted by them? 2/3 of these guys are also pluggers.
I wasn't trying to prove a point. I said I was just bored and decided to compile a list. I never said they were all great players, I just made a list of guys who had played a couple hundred games in the NHL.

Anyway, since this list stretches back to 1990, it is irrelevant how many are still with the Leafs because they may have been drafted up to 14 years ago.

Old
03-04-2004, 09:59 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Anybody who thinks Toronto overpaid for Leetch is crazy. You got what you paid for, one of the best defensemen ever, who can still put up a point per game in the right circumstances and play very solid defense when he is on his game.

Old
03-05-2004, 02:15 AM
Padawan
Former power tripper

First, I'm not a Leaf fan but neither a Rangers fan. However, I prefer the Leafs over the Rangers. I was looking forward for Immonen to play for the Leafs. When I erad the news that Jarkko's rights have been traded my first thought was "Damn". IMO Jarkko had better chance of playing in the NHL in Toronto than in New York.

IMO Toronto did pay far too much for Leetch. Leetch is great player, don't ge me wrong here, but he plays for 2 years max (imho) and with the CBA coming... He just may only play for the rest of this season. (if there won't be a NHL season next year) He has also past his prime imo and The Leafs payed two prospects and a two high draft picks for a that. I don't get it...

Oh, I'm sorry to say this but... Jarkko Immonen scored 2+1=3 +4 0PIM yesterday in SM-Liiga.

Last edited by Padawan: 03-05-2004 at 02:25 AM.
Old
03-05-2004, 02:26 AM
Kemosabe

I have to say, contrary to Bruins propaganda, as an avid observer of both players I must say that right now Brian Leetch is the better player. It just doesn't make sense to say otherwise. Gonchar is young and has years to establish himself as an elite defenseman (which because of his shortcomings in his own end he is not right now), but right now Leetch is the hall of famer, he's the stanley cup winner, and the locker room leader. I think if we honestly asked ourselves who we'd want to see with the puck in the last 2 minutes of a big playoff game this year - the answer is obvious, and who we'd want to hear giving a speech in the locker room during the second intermission of a playoff game this year...again...obvious. I don't think there could really be a case made the other way.

Old
03-05-2004, 03:24 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
First, I'm not a Leaf fan but neither a Rangers fan. However, I prefer the Leafs over the Rangers. I was looking forward for Immonen to play for the Leafs. When I erad the news that Jarkko's rights have been traded my first thought was "Damn". IMO Jarkko had better chance of playing in the NHL in Toronto than in New York.

IMO Toronto did pay far too much for Leetch. Leetch is great player, don't ge me wrong here, but he plays for 2 years max (imho) and with the CBA coming... He just may only play for the rest of this season. (if there won't be a NHL season next year) He has also past his prime imo and The Leafs payed two prospects and a two high draft picks for a that. I don't get it...

Oh, I'm sorry to say this but... Jarkko Immonen scored 2+1=3 +4 0PIM yesterday in SM-Liiga.
Jarkko is a good young player no doubt and the Leafs had to sacrifice him in order to save Steen and Colaiacovo .. but Leaf fans will miss him NO Doubt ...but now Leetch in a Leaf and makes them a better team today..

Old
03-05-2004, 05:56 AM
Stajan_Steen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Weak draft in 2004 after top 10.This just makes us into the red wings who acquire good players in late rounds like hudler and grigorenko
And maybe JFJ can do that get a Pavol Demtra.

Old
03-05-2004, 07:10 PM
thatcanadianguy23

This is possibly the best trade the Leafs have done in a while. I am excited that the Leafs dealt for Leetch. He will be a perfect fit here in Toronto.GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!

Old
03-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatcanadianguy23
This is possibly the best trade the Leafs have done in a while. I am excited that the Leafs dealt for Leetch. He will be a perfect fit here in Toronto.GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!
Sorry to burst your bubble but Leetch is a shell of the player he use to be. He is a great point man on the PP, I'll give him that. As long as he remains stationary he can get the job done but I think that Satan and Hecht tonight showed what he has left.

Old
03-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Sorry to burst your bubble but Leetch is a shell of the player he use to be. He is a great point man on the PP, I'll give him that. As long as he remains stationary he can get the job done but I think that Satan and Hecht tonight showed what he has left.
Stationary? Please. Leetch's game is all about mobility and speed, which he still has an abundance of. Granted, he isn't the second coming of Rod Langway, but I think we are all aware of that. Anyway, he's still a magician with the puck and is faster than most dmen out there today. Sorry to burst your ignorant bubble.

Old
03-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Stationary? Please. Leetch's game is all about mobility and speed, which he still has an abundance of. Granted, he isn't the second coming of Rod Langway, but I think we are all aware of that. Anyway, he's still a magician with the puck and is faster than most dmen out there today. Sorry to burst your ignorant bubble.
Always so defensive Stephen?

I don't doubt his offensive abilities but I really don't think that he addressed any of your needs for the playoffs. The Leafs needed to go out and get a big physical stay at home defenseman. Do you agree with that? Or is Leetch the guy you were always after...

Old
03-06-2004, 08:42 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:

I don't doubt his offensive abilities but I really don't think that he addressed any of your needs for the playoffs. The Leafs needed to go out and get a big physical stay at home defenseman. Do you agree with that? Or is Leetch the guy you were always after...
And what big, physical, stay at home defenseman was available?

There's Carney, but he's not available.

Old
03-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
And what big, physical, stay at home defenseman was available?

There's Carney, but he's not available.
Very true, the market isn't stocked full of those guys. Leetch will no doubt help your PP, which he already has but as he showed tonight and all year in New York he struggles when under pressure and on the forecheck. Why Quinn is not playing Marchment I will never know. Do you think Fergie is going to try and bring someone else in? Perhaps Devries?

Old
03-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Stephen

Quote:

If big physical defensemen like Sean Hill, Keith Carney, Chris Pronger, Jason Smith or Steve Staios were being traded left right and center and the Leafs went out and got Leetch, maybe you can say the Leafs didn't address their needs. But as it stands, Leetch is a workhorse defenseman who has instanty made our transition game better. If he can get the puck out of the zone, and we don't have to play our old #6 dman, I'd say that's still a definite improvement. There's no need to clear the crease when Leetch is taking the puck away from danger and down the ice for a scoring chance or if he's making a great outlet pass to one of our forwards.

Old
03-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
If big physical defensemen like Sean Hill, Keith Carney, Chris Pronger, Jason Smith or Steve Staios were being traded left right and center and the Leafs went out and got Leetch, maybe you can say the Leafs didn't address their needs. But as it stands, Leetch is a workhorse defenseman who has instanty made our transition game better. If he can get the puck out of the zone, and we don't have to play our old #6 dman, I'd say that's still a definite improvement. There's no need to clear the crease when Leetch is taking the puck away from danger and down the ice for a scoring chance or if he's making a great outlet pass to one of our forwards.
Fair enough, we have different opinions on Leetch's game. Only time will tell.

As for Hill, I am very confident he will be a Leaf by Tuesday. Especially after tonight's performance.

Old
03-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Red Horner*

Bottom line Leafs have went to the Conference Final twice when they did nothing at the deadline, last year they went silly and got beat out in the first rd. You be the judge.

Old
03-09-2004, 12:19 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Ill unsticky this now since its getting crowded.

Closed Thread