HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rod Gilbert says the craziest things

Old
08-03-2007, 12:13 PM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500

alright, so this thread is for the guys who go to games often and run into our unofficial team mascot, hall of famer, Rod Gilbert. I love the guy, always nice, always has a second for you, but its clear- the DUDE IS OUT HIS DAMN MIND. so what funny things have you heard from him?

i got this gem at a rangers/red wings (last season) game while he was reading my friend's media notes.

"Who is this Zetterberg guy, he's got a lot of points, he must be pretty good"

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
I love that show

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 12:26 PM
rodmunch

He could be more focused on working with the Rangers rather then following what is happening in the NHL.

I mean, I doubt he spends a few hours surfing the interent everyday like some of us do

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 02:15 PM
blue2noise

The guy is a pisser and always drunk off his ass.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 02:23 PM
TheHotRock

^sounds about right

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 02:56 PM
bender13

Ran into him at laguardia couple of years ago. I introduced myself and told him it was a pleasure meeting him, then couldn't get rid of him for about 20 minutes until my plane showed up. He even followed me into the mens room BS'ing about the old days LOL.

Real nice guy

bender13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 05:19 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bender13 View Post
Ran into him at laguardia couple of years ago. I introduced myself and told him it was a pleasure meeting him, then couldn't get rid of him for about 20 minutes until my plane showed up. He even followed me into the mens room BS'ing about the old days LOL.

Real nice guy
Dude, that's the funniest story I've read in a while.

Like Stan Lee on that Simpsons episode where he hangs out at Comic-book-Guy's store the entire time and CBG remarks that his mind is "no longer in mint condition."

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 05:39 PM
shoothepuck

Way to many elbows to the head will do it to you, an extra fifth of Scotch dosn't help..

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 05:47 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
haha thats what everyone i've spoken to that knows him says

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Nich

liar, scotch helps everything

i think in a past like i was bender from futureama....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 06:07 AM
gaglinefan

Observation on Rod

My Gilbert story is pretty simple. Maybe someone else out there saw this too... As a little kid I was at the old Garden; Rangers were playing the Candiens who routinely shellacked us in the mid 60's. We played a tough game, Gilbert tied the game at the buzzer 2-2. We saw the shot, heard the buzzer and saw the red light-Pandemonium!! We had a star!!!

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 09:18 AM
mikesect424

My dad had Rod in tears when he told him that passed up a ticket for game 7 against Van. because he thought they would lose if he went. The rangers lost every game he went to in that playoffs. Gilbert was hammered, crying, and kept saying "This is what I'm talking about, the PASSION!!"

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Smashley

Sounds like him and Fischler might be distant cousins....

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 10:53 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Sounds like him and Fischler might be distant cousins....
I played a round of golf with by chance about 15 years ago. Nice guy but the concession stand was out of beer by the end of the round.

Rod and most of the other Rangers all lived out in Long Beach when I was a kid. There was a sign when you drove into the town that proclaimed Long Beach as the home of the NY Rangers.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 11:44 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:

Real nice guy
HAHA holy ****! That same type of thing kind of happened to me and my girlfriend. I was shopping in the Villiage and out of nowhere, I spot Gilbert shopping as well (must've been picking up something for someone) in the same store as us. So of course I said hi. He followed us around for like 30 minutes talking and, of course I am loving it. My girlfriend got pissed off because she had no idea who this crazy guy was hahaha. He got a phone call and then said goodbye. But man, that was hysterical and is still a funny moment to me.

Funny that similar things happened to us.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 12:46 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmunch View Post
He could be more focused on working with the Rangers rather then following what is happening in the NHL.

I mean, I doubt he spends a few hours surfing the interent everyday like some of us do
I'm wondering if he knows what this internet thing is yet

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 12:47 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I've seen his son @ a few games, he is always tanked too.

Old
08-04-2007, 01:42 PM
danroy33

If you could go to games for free, hang with the players, and get paid for just being around, wouldn't you party it up?

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 03:20 PM
nyrmetros

I bought my mum a Rod Gilbert Rangers jerseys 2 years ago. She was a huge fan of his in the 60's and 70's.... and is still in love with him to this day. We might him once at an opening of a PC Richards in Long Island a few years ago. However my mum was too timid to really talk to him at length.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 04:06 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

Real nice guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
HAHA holy ****! That same type of thing kind of happened to me and my girlfriend. I was shopping in the Villiage and out of nowhere, I spot Gilbert shopping as well (must've been picking up something for someone) in the same store as us. So of course I said hi. He followed us around for like 30 minutes talking and, of course I am loving it. My girlfriend got pissed off because she had no idea who this crazy guy was hahaha. He got a phone call and then said goodbye. But man, that was hysterical and is still a funny moment to me.

Funny that similar things happened to us.

those are awesome storys, Hope I run into him some day! The best i've done has been Ulf Nelison & John Amerante

Old
08-06-2007, 04:29 AM
ArtieAnisimov

I wish that would happen to me. I'd be happy if any of those encounters happened to me.

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
He's actually friends with my cousin and we ran into him two years ago when the Rangers lost game two at Continental. He was completely drunk and says, "where's the nearest strip joint, we all need to forget about this game".

It was classic!

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 11:13 AM
alkurtz

Guys, slow down here a moment and appreciate one of the most important players in Ranger history, one who changed the fortunes and face of the franchise.
He was born in Montreal, and in those pre-draft days, anyone who played junior hockey in Quebec, belonged by default to the Montreal Canadians. Not wanting to be lost in the large Canadian development system, he left Montreal for a town that was in Ranger system (the crazy pre-draft system gave NHL teams the rights to any player in a town where they had a junior team). Not only did he become Ranger property, but he dragged his boyhood friend Jean Ratelle with him! By the insightful and courageous move, he changed the direction of the Rangers from doormat to contender. One of my first Ranger memories is of the 61-62 playoffs when he came up from the low minors and in 4 playoff games vs Toronto had 2 goals and 3 assists. He also had to undergo two spinal fusion operations that resulted from him slipping on something that had been thrown on the ice and hurting his back. I distinctly remember him on the bench in the old Garden with a heating pad on his back. He took a few years to develop, but along with Eddie Giacomin and Ratelle and Vic Hadfield, was the heart of the Francis era Ranger teams. A great player who always hustled and played with passion. In the "swinging 60s" his handsome looks and active social life got him a lot of publicity in the papers and helped elevate the Rangers status in New York. In the late 60s and early 70s, as opposed to today, the Rangers never had to fight for space in the NY sports scene. Gilbert was largely responsible for that. And, of course, he is in the HOF. So, cut the guy some slack, he was a great Ranger. All of you younger guys would have loved the way he played.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Guys, slow down here a moment and appreciate one of the most important players in Ranger history, one who changed the fortunes and face of the franchise.
He was born in Montreal, and in those pre-draft days, anyone who played junior hockey in Quebec, belonged by default to the Montreal Canadians. Not wanting to be lost in the large Canadian development system, he left Montreal for a town that was in Ranger system (the crazy pre-draft system gave NHL teams the rights to any player in a town where they had a junior team). Not only did he become Ranger property, but he dragged his boyhood friend Jean Ratelle with him! By the insightful and courageous move, he changed the direction of the Rangers from doormat to contender. One of my first Ranger memories is of the 61-62 playoffs when he came up from the low minors and in 4 playoff games vs Toronto had 2 goals and 3 assists. He also had to undergo two spinal fusion operations that resulted from him slipping on something that had been thrown on the ice and hurting his back. I distinctly remember him on the bench in the old Garden with a heating pad on his back. He took a few years to develop, but along with Eddie Giacomin and Ratelle and Vic Hadfield, was the heart of the Francis era Ranger teams. A great player who always hustled and played with passion. In the "swinging 60s" his handsome looks and active social life got him a lot of publicity in the papers and helped elevate the Rangers status in New York. In the late 60s and early 70s, as opposed to today, the Rangers never had to fight for space in the NY sports scene. Gilbert was largely responsible for that. And, of course, he is in the HOF. So, cut the guy some slack, he was a great Ranger. All of you younger guys would have loved the way he played.
We never said we didn't appreciate him.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
mrhockey193195

the closest I've come to meeting him was having his daughter sit right in front of me (section 111) during game 3 against ATL.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote