HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery is awarded $1.9 million/Rangers accept the award

Old
08-02-2007, 10:21 AM
94now

vCash: 500
Now he needs to put on some weight. Otherwise he'll be bounced around like he was in playoffs.
I basically agree with Rangers assessment presented at arbitration. Avery is not a mature performer yet. Jagr said "this team needs more than just Sean Avery" when we got him. This summer signings proved JJ right. The time will show if that was enough... In any case the loss of Nylander is by far more significant event then possible Avery becoming UFA. I am glad he got signed, but I am not crazy about it.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
My only concern (sorry to put a dampner on things!!!) is that could January become a major distraction when everyone knows to of our major pieces in Lundqvist and Avery are just months from being UFA and we'll be frantically trying to re-sign them?

lets hope not!

For now, im just so excited!!! well done NYR, overall great off season!
I thought the "King" was still a RFA for one more year? Otherwise I agree with you. Him much more then Avery will be pushed towards a long term deal.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Dadevil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadevil View Post
well lets say he does bring it every night... he probally wont be alive to recieve that 22.5 mil/5 year reward cause somebody is gonna break his neck because the way he plays. Dont get me wrong i love i wish we had him... but he is gonna end up hurt, there is no doubt in my mind.
i guess one of my other posts before this was considered to be started to start a lil argue... but it was fun and i guess its nit allowed so sorry and i wont do it anymore

Dadevil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 01:54 PM
mucker*

I suppose my questions would be

1) What does this do to Avery's pysche with the team?
-Is he going to fight and play as hard of will this impact his heart?

2) Long term does it make sense to sign him to an extended deal instead of letting him be a free agent or is he likely to walk?
-Did we go overboard and rish having an upset player who is gone?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 02:36 PM
elYankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
I thought the "King" was still a RFA for one more year? Otherwise I agree with you. Him much more then Avery will be pushed towards a long term deal.
I've heard rumblings that the one year deal with Hank was a hush hush signing with a promise, and a set up deal to sign him long term in January, when his number comes off this years cap. I don't think Hank's status will be an issue come mid-late season. But Avery, Lets just hope he can keep his head, he fits like a glove with NYC and both he and the fans know it, lets hope he won't take sather personally.

elYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 03:37 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elYankee View Post
I've heard rumblings that the one year deal with Hank was a hush hush signing with a promise, and a set up deal to sign him long term in January, when his number comes off this years cap. I don't think Hank's status will be an issue come mid-late season. But Avery, Lets just hope he can keep his head, he fits like a glove with NYC and both he and the fans know it, lets hope he won't take sather personally.
I think most of us here would agree that as soon as January 1st hits Lundqvist will be engaged in signing a long-term contract with the Rangers.

I think thats as close to a given as you can get, barring any significant circumstances.

As far as Avery goes, not only is it up to him and his take on the Rangers but the Rangers take on him.

Im sure Sather could have signed him to a 2 or 3 year deal in the offseason if he really wanted to, but there is that element of mysteriousness and unpredictability with Avery. He hasnt proven he can be a good team guy long-term. So the Rangers will be evaluating Avery this year. I wouldnt be surprised if they sign him to only a two year deal in January if Avery re-ups. Im not sure the Rangers would want something over that (probably would prefer another 1 year deal really, but i doubt Sean would go for that) because of Avery's volatile nature.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-03-2007 at 03:43 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 03:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sean has got to be a big boy and shake it off

The Kings roughed up Mike Cammallieri in their hearing yesterday

Quote:
"It's just a grueling process," Lombardi said.

"It wears you out. Nothing has changed in the process from pre-lockout. It's not fun for either side.
"
Quote:
Still, despite the difficult day, Lombardi said he made a point of talking to Cammalleri after the lengthy arbitration hearing.

"You're trying to say to Mike, 'This isn't about trying to stick it to Mike Cammalleri,' " Lombardi said.

"It's about trying to manage the payroll
."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/printe...ck=1&cset=true

Quote:
Lombardi gave a little insight as to what it was like in the room.

``It gets a little intense at times,'' Lombardi said. ``I don't deny that a little emotion showed on both sides. I met with Cammy afterward and I said, `Hey, when this is over we have to go back and be a team.' You just have to keep it from getting personal, and that's not easy sometimes
.''
http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/

We don't what words the Kings used in their brief because their brief wasn't leaked by Mike Gillis who represents Cammallieri and the player didn't whine to a reporter

A different situation from the Avery case

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 04:00 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'm sorry but these guys play hockey, arent they suppossed to be thick-skinned?

I can understand why Lombardi or Sather would talk to the player and say "This is not about sticking it to ________, this is about managing the payroll"

But do you really need to say that, i mean cmon. These players TOOK THE TEAM to arbitration, what did they expect?! Walk into the room and theres tea and crumpets for everyone and toddlers playing Lite-Brite and Shoots and Ladders?

No, its business. Everyone knows - the fans, the media, the teams - that the arbitration process is a sticky situation and not the nicest of times. How did the players suddenly become exempt from that knowledge?

I'll gladly walk into a room for an hour and half to have people tell me how much i suck to make their case, because when i walk out of that room 9 times out of 10 im making a hell of a raise from the year before.

Cmon. I dont buy this sympathy crap. Grow a pair.

I scored 40 goals one year for my college team only to be suggested for the taxi squad the following year because my coach wanted to impress the new recruits with playing time. I paid to play for that team, a lot. Did i complain? No, i proved it on the ice and left them no choice but to play me. And that was all about the passion for the game. No money. Nothing. All i recieved was time. These guys are getting raises of 100's of thousands of dollars and are set for years. Even if they "lose" the arbitration. Gimme a break.

Old
08-03-2007, 04:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if they sign him to only a two year deal in January if Avery re-ups. Im not sure the Rangers would want something over that (probably would prefer another 1 year deal really, but i doubt Sean would go for that) because of Avery's volatile nature.
But do you think Avery would be willing to sign such a relatively short term deal? I'm guessing a solid season would set him up for at least a 4 year deal somewhere.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 04:12 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
But do you think Avery would be willing to sign such a relatively short term deal? I'm guessing a solid season would set him up for at least a 4 year deal somewhere.
He probably wouldn't sign a shortie. And he deserves the long if he can prove it to the team and the rest of the league. Thats up to the Rangers and him to negotiate.

If he's a good boy they might go long term, but i really dont think Sather would lock himself into a lucrative long-term deal without the out of trading him somewhere down the road.

I think with a player like Avery, hes better when hes non-complacent and thats with short term deals. I'm sure the Rangers think it would be in their best business interest to sign him to a short(er) deal given his history and this recent bunny he plulled out of his hat.

Don't be surprised if they can't come to another agreement. Its not going to be as easy as signing Lundqvist by any means.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-03-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old
08-04-2007, 11:54 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sean has got to be a big boy and shake it off

The Kings roughed up Mike Cammallieri in their hearing yesterday

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printe...ck=1&cset=true

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/

We don't what words the Kings used in their brief because their brief wasn't leaked by Mike Gillis who represents Cammallieri and the player didn't whine to a reporter

A different situation from the Avery case
Where's Uncle Larry's diatribe on this hearing? All that clown does is try to distort and take things out of context writing half truths. If you back ober the years the post has always been antagonistic towards th established rangers while forming a brokeback hockey relationship with the isles and then the devils. The news on the hand has always tried to have hockey guys cover the team. Frank Brown was excellent and JDP is following along under the same MO.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote