HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All Eklund Rumors Here

Old
08-04-2007, 06:04 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
The Jagr wants an impact D man.

He is coming

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 06:27 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Let us - God forbid - assume that Eklund is correct
Rangers sign Auld for about 1 M
They trade Malik - Kaspar - Mara - Montoya to Phoenix for Jovo and a high pick/prospect

His lineup would then - assuming this went through - look like:

EKLUNDS LINEUP

Prucha - Gomez - Jagr
Straka - Drury - Shannahan
Avery - Dubinsky/Anisimov* - Callahan
Hossa - Betts - Orr or Hollweg

* - training camp decides who gets the shot at the spot

Jovanovski - Staal
Roszival -Pock
Tyutin - Girardi

res Hutchinsson + Strudwick

The King
Auld

PlayerCap Number
Gomez 7.357
Drury 7.05
Shanahan5.3*
Jagr 4.94
Straka 3.3
Avery 1.9
Prucha 1.6
Hossa 0.78
Dubinsky0.633
Betts 0.615
Callahan 0.575
Orr 0.538
Hollweg 0.513
Jovo 7
Rozsival 2.1
Tyutin 0.988
Staal 0.82667
Girardi 0.75**
Pock 0.668
Strudwick 0.5
Hutchinson0.475
Lundqvist4.25
Auld 1.0
Total53.658.670
Cap maximum 50.300.000
Remaining-3.358.670
Bonuses3.000.000
Total less Bonuses50.658.670
Remaining less Bonuses-358.670

Other Notable Contracts (not counted towards the above total):
PlayerCap Number
Korpikoski1.018
Anisimov0.85
Bourret0.85
Moore0.725
Byers0.608
Liffiton0.579
Baranka0.522
Barnes0.517
Dawes0.496

These tables were originally designed by Kodiak btw

*Shanahan's contract contains an additional $2.8 mil in performance bonuses.
**Girardi's contract contains $200k in performance bonuses.

All performance bonuses count against the cap this year. A team can exceed the salary cap by $3.77 mil (7.5% of the cap) to pay these performance bonuses, but any excess will be dead cap space for the 08-09 season.

IT WOULD THEREFORE - WITH A 23 MAN ROSTER - NOT WORK CAPWISE. BUT JUST BARELY. IF THE RANGERS WERE TO USE A 22 MAN SQUAD (omitting either Strudwick or Hutchinsson) and replaced all the inevitable injuries during the season with lower paid replacements from Hartford (or waiver claims) - it would be a very very tight fit and may work in theory. But I think Jovo is a risky move.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 07:10 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
All performance bonuses count against the cap this year. A team can exceed the salary cap by $3.77 mil (7.5% of the cap) to pay these performance bonuses, but any excess will be dead cap space for the 08-09 season.

IT WOULD THEREFORE - WITH A 23 MAN ROSTER - NOT WORK CAPWISE. BUT JUST BARELY. IF THE RANGERS WERE TO USE A 22 MAN SQUAD (omitting either Strudwick or Hutchinsson) and replaced all the inevitable injuries during the season with lower paid replacements from Hartford (or waiver claims) - it would be a very very tight fit and may work in theory. But I think Jovo is a risky move.
for those reasons, that's why i think Vishnovsky at $5.650M is Slats real target (if indeed available - pure speculation on my part and given LA's current position). He's actually the type of defenseman we need. He's a CZECH player. He costs 850k less (just enough breathing room, also the amount of anisimov's contract) than Jovocop would. He's a year younger. It makes sense for the Kings if they get a good return giving them cap space to have both Cammalleri and Raycroft on their roster. If Cammalleri gets a low enough number, the Kings stand pat and sign everyone and keep themselves happy. If his offer is really high, they will either sign & trade him for the best offer they can get or if they get a similarly good offer for Vishnovsky (presumably from us), then they'll have that option as well. Kings really NEED a #1 goalie this season.

I can't really see Phoneix taking all three Malik, Mara, and Kasparitis. Montoya is valuable but I can't see anyway Maloney will get the owners to spawn $10M just so he can get him (and Monty's addition ~$1.8M hit)

a scenario i've played in my mind...

Monty + Mara <---> LeNeveau + high picks (1,2)?

Vishnovsky <---> Malik + Bourret (they seem short on RWs) + mid (4-5) pick?

Kaspar to HFD.

Vishnovsky-Staal
Rosival-Pock
Girardi-Tyutin

P.S. I didn't know the bonuses could exceed that cap. that's good news for us!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 08:28 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

I can't really see Phoneix taking all three Malik, Mara, and Kasparitis. Montoya is valuable but I can't see anyway Maloney will get the owners to spawn $10M just so he can get him (and Monty's addition ~$1.8M hit)

P.S. I didn't know the bonuses could exceed that cap. that's good news for us!
Talk to a Yotes fan about how they loath Jovo and his contract. Obviously Monty is dirt cheap and those othet three might be short term enough to justify eating....

maybe

Its possible Jovo would be a bigger impact player on NYR, but he'd have to REALLY want to come here.

Is NYR that attractive?

He would only be coming here for one reason.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 08:42 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Talk to a Yotes fan about how they loath Jovo and his contract. Obviously Monty is dirt cheap and those othet three might be short term enough to justify eating....

maybe

Its possible Jovo would be a bigger impact player on NYR, but he'd have to REALLY want to come here.

Is NYR that attractive?

He would only be coming here for one reason.
I see your point. Since it's $10M over one year as opposed to $25.5 over 4 years that would actually be very appealing to the owners. Still, I'd much rather go for Vishnovsky if possible. As BBkers pointed out, we'd be effing up our cap situation big time with Jovo on the payroll. Both are comparible players, except I think Vishnovsky is on the rise where Jovo is on a possible decline (it could just be the team) + Vish is 850k cheaper which would allow us flexibility to call up Anisimov or Bourret who each have 850k salaries.

Old
08-04-2007, 08:57 PM
The Thomas J.*

I can't see that deal happening, no way Phoneix takes on 3 players with so much salary, although THEY ALL COME OFF @ SEASONS END, the cap room on our end is limited, gonna have to get creative with the numbers, I am also leary of blowing up our defense corp that has been fairly succesful, I mean if its not broken don't fix it.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 09:07 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksin07 View Post
i think what he's referring to is alex auld is brought to ny and in a seperate transaction the rangers trade montoya to phoenix in what is probably connected to the jovo rumours...

some people are too quick to judge eklund when in fact, what he does is tell everyone what teams are talking to other teams about...not everything works out, but it doesn't mean teams aren't talking.

montoya as a key component in any deal for jovo just makes sense for both sides.
Eklund makes up stories when he doesn't have any. And he's made alot of mistakes
with "status" of players, that prove this.

Or do you still think the Elias for Ohlund thing was legit? Because, it wasn't.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Smashley

Does this eklund guy have a day job? Seems like you guys are just giving him the attention he wants by responding to these bogus rumors he probably comes up with in the shower. (e1)

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

If this rumor is true it is probably coming from Jovos agent...I doubt the Rangers would bite but never say never...

The Rangers should be in the market for a defensemen but they don't NEED to get one right now...If I were Sather I would wait until the deadline to see where the team is in the standings....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 04:05 AM
danaluvsthekings

It's Visnovsky, no H.

As for an LA perspective on that "rumor", I don't buy it for a minute unless the Rangers want Modry.

The Kings aren't going to move Visnovsky. Yes, they signed Preissing and Stuart this summer but Stuart signed a 1 year contract. Blake's got one year left on his contract (and an NTC), Modry's got a 1 year deal as well. They only have 3 NHL defensemen signed beyond 07-08, I don't think they're going to move one of them, especially since 1 of those 3 is Johnson and he's a rookie. I think they signed Stuart to a 1 year deal to give Lombardi time to figure out what Visnovsky's cap hit would be with his new contract and for Blake's contract to expire. If he plays well I'm sure Lombardi would have an interest in re-signing Stuart, but there are no guarantees.

Kings fans don't buy the Raycroft rumor at all. They're not going to buy out Cloutier yet and take a cap hit for the next 4 seasons anyways, plus they want to see if perhaps the surgery Dan had can help him regain some form. It would be premature to buy him out before seeing how he does after the surgery. They can stash him in the AHL if necessary, which is what they're going to do with Tverdovsky if he plays in North America this year. Lombardi supposedly was asked about Raycroft when he was speaking to season ticket holders and he said that the Kings had no interest in him. Lombardi feels that it's time to give Labarbara the chance at the #1 position that he's never really had.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 04:59 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Jovo is a bad contract. Why in the world would the acquiring team give up anything of value. I could see us moving shorter term contracts like Malik and maybe Kasper straight up. That would create cap space for us, but term out our cap obligations by taking on Jovo. That is the only thing that makes any sense. You do not give up a quality asset for helping someone to get out from under a bad contract.

Under what I propose we open up a roster space for a younger Dman.

Girardi - Tyutin
Rozsival - Mara
Jovo - Staal

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 06:29 AM
free0717

Jovo is not leaving Phoenix, He just bought the big house. Other than Mueller or Turris, who would we take from Phoenix for Montoya unless Phoenix gives up there no.1 pick which if things go right could be Tavares.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 08:44 AM
DutchShamrock

I know it doesn't sound like a good idea for Phoenix to take on Malik and Mara (and possibly Kaspar) when they are trying to shed a bad salary in Jovanovski, but over the long hull it works out for Phonex in that each of those players sent to Phx are UFA after this year. So basically they can get out of Jovo's longer nightmare by assuming a shorter nightmare. It kinda makes sense but I still don't believe it's happening. And as BBK points out it still doesn't work cap-wise for NYR.

Right now, NYR is looking for that top pairing guy. Everyone, even Jovo at this point, acknowledges that he isn't that guy. He is a 2nd pairing guy at best but with his wear and tear he is probably most effective as a #5 paired with a puck mover. But isn't that exactly what we have in spades? And right now I'd take Mara over Jovo. Plus one of the few appealing aspects of Jovo is that he has a good history with Malik... but we just sent him in the deal and you can't keep Jovo AND Malik because of the cap issues.

And with Mara being more attractive than Jovo, why would NYR spruce up the deal with Montoya when in essence we are the one's helping out Phx by accepting their burden. Jovo for Mara-Malik-Kaspar is probably, nay, definitely in Phoenix's favor on a talent basis and certainly better on long term $ basis. So really, Phoenix should be adding at least 1 or 2 prospects (no cap hit) or a 1st rounder and prospect to make that deal even. As a rebuilding team, Maloney and their fans won't go for that kind of a deal and I don't blame them. We just aren't good trading partners because of the cap rules. This deal goes down in 1997... not 2007.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I know it doesn't sound like a good idea for Phoenix to take on Malik and Mara (and possibly Kaspar) when they are trying to shed a bad salary in Jovanovski

And with Mara being more attractive than Jovo
The closer you look at it, there's 2 big reasons why this specific trade won't happen.

Phoenix isn't trying to shed any salary, as a matter of fact they NEED Jovo's 6.5m in order to even help get to the cap FLOOR.

Phoenix traded Mara just over a year ago, granted he may have turned his game around a bit since then, it's not like they'll take him back so soon.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:42 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
It's Visnovsky, no H.

As for an LA perspective on that "rumor", I don't buy it for a minute unless the Rangers want Modry.

The Kings aren't going to move Visnovsky. Yes, they signed Preissing and Stuart this summer but Stuart signed a 1 year contract. Blake's got one year left on his contract (and an NTC), Modry's got a 1 year deal as well. They only have 3 NHL defensemen signed beyond 07-08, I don't think they're going to move one of them, especially since 1 of those 3 is Johnson and he's a rookie. I think they signed Stuart to a 1 year deal to give Lombardi time to figure out what Visnovsky's cap hit would be with his new contract and for Blake's contract to expire. If he plays well I'm sure Lombardi would have an interest in re-signing Stuart, but there are no guarantees.

Kings fans don't buy the Raycroft rumor at all. They're not going to buy out Cloutier yet and take a cap hit for the next 4 seasons anyways, plus they want to see if perhaps the surgery Dan had can help him regain some form. It would be premature to buy him out before seeing how he does after the surgery. They can stash him in the AHL if necessary, which is what they're going to do with Tverdovsky if he plays in North America this year. Lombardi supposedly was asked about Raycroft when he was speaking to season ticket holders and he said that the Kings had no interest in him. Lombardi feels that it's time to give Labarbara the chance at the #1 position that he's never really had.
Always nice to get another perspective. But I do hope for your sake that Lombardi sees something in Labarbara that most of us on this forum haven't. He never looked like a future #1 to me.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:53 AM
The Thomas J.*

really wish this Jovo rumor would die already, its annoying. Cap wise going into next season we are still in pretty good shape, why would we start taking on more maxed out salary?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:21 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
It's Visnovsky, no H.

thanks. i'm aware it's super unlikely but it's certainly fun to talk about. my original post i said "this makes no sense" but some how rationalized that visnovsky was the only player that'd make sense if the kings wanted to shed salary. malik would be servicable this year and you guys would be in a position to have cap to go for a nicer UFA than Stuart next year. i dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
The closer you look at it, there's 2 big reasons why this specific trade won't happen.

Phoenix isn't trying to shed any salary, as a matter of fact they NEED Jovo's 6.5m in order to even help get to the cap FLOOR.

Phoenix traded Mara just over a year ago, granted he may have turned his game around a bit since then, it's not like they'll take him back so soon.
you're missing the numbers here man! if they take malik (2.5), mara (3), and kasparitis (3+) this season they will ADD around $2.5M to their cap this year. better yet, since those three are UFA next season, they'll have freed up $8.5M for next year's UFA market which includes the likes of Spezza, Heatley, Redden, et al. BEST OF ALL, from the owners POV, they are off the hook from Jovo's contract which over its life would have cost the owners an additional $17 MILLION casg out of their pockets. Think from a pure money POV, would you like to no have to spend $17M? From a cap POV, that's a lot of room to play with. With any luck, their have Mueller and Turris playing making for an attractive duo of young centers to play with like (but no where near) Pittsburgh.

Old
08-05-2007, 12:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
really wish this Jovo rumor would die already, its annoying. Cap wise going into next season we are still in pretty good shape, why would we start taking on more maxed out salary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
The Jagr wants an impact D man.

He is coming

Old
08-05-2007, 05:49 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
thanks. i'm aware it's super unlikely but it's certainly fun to talk about. my original post i said "this makes no sense" but some how rationalized that visnovsky was the only player that'd make sense if the kings wanted to shed salary. malik would be servicable this year and you guys would be in a position to have cap to go for a nicer UFA than Stuart next year. i dunno.
Yeah, unfortunately for you there are other salary dump options. Tverdovsky and Cloutier could both be in the AHL which would free up $5.6 mil at the NHL level. Of course it's entirely possible Tverdovsky stays in Europe and he won't be getting his $2.5 mil to play in Manchester, which I'm sure is what Kings management would prefer.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Garv23

I heard Roman Ndur is making a comeback and that JFK was actually killed by a really low flying cicada.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 07:28 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Jovo is not leaving Phoenix, He just bought the big house. Other than Mueller or Turris, who would we take from Phoenix for Montoya unless Phoenix gives up there no.1 pick which if things go right could be Tavares.
Tavares would be 09, not 08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
I heard Roman Ndur is making a comeback and that JFK was actually killed by a really low flying cicada.
Makes sense, if you're Eklund.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
Zing!

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:00 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
OH BOY! AN E3!

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Visnovsky signed a 5 year extension this offseason. Can't see him getting traded.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:06 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately for you there are other salary dump options. Tverdovsky and Cloutier could both be in the AHL which would free up $5.6 mil at the NHL level. Of course it's entirely possible Tverdovsky stays in Europe and he won't be getting his $2.5 mil to play in Manchester, which I'm sure is what Kings management would prefer.
As a Ranger fan out here on the left coast, I have to agree that Visnovsky is not going anywhere. He is the Kings best D-Man and is signed to a reasonable contract. Love to see him in a blueshirt, but that is not going to happen.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote