HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Semi OT: Sirius/XM merger

Old
08-03-2007, 01:48 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Semi OT: Sirius/XM merger

I know I'm a little obsessive about my passions but.....

Last year I had CI and Sirus for the road. Sirus carried a whole bunch of NHL each week as well as 2 hrs of the NHL talk each weekday. I understand that they have dropped the NHL for the upcoming season, but the merger between Sirius and XM sounds like it might go through and my understanding is you'll be able to choose channels off either service.

So if it goes through I can supposedly get the NHL off XM, but if it doesnt go through I'm bummin.

Anyone else in this boat? I want to send Sirius a letter requesting the NHL next season. Not sure what good it will do, but switching to XM is a pain in the ass and maybe unneccessary a few months later. Plus I enjoy a fair amount of Sirius other programming.

They are previewing the GRATEFUL DEAD channel this week. Non stop LIVE GD! and Scott Ferrell for some real NHL talk late night.

08-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Neither party can give you an update on the merger. A new post-merger pricing structure has been announced though. There are several packages you can get or select from "a la carte'" programming, 60 channels for $6.95 IIRC. Sirius subscribers get NHL, XM subscribers get NASCAR.

I believe this is the longest approval period in history for a corporate merger. Somehow, Rupert Murdock assembled a media dynasty this week, but 2 companies with 2 satellites and 14 million subscribers between them somehow represents monopolistic threat in the eyes of the US goverment. Go figure.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 02:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

glady trade some Nascar for NHL

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 02:09 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe this helps:

Quote:
Both XM and Sirius believe the merger is on track to close by the end of this year or early next.

If regulators approve the deal and it closes by year-end, as the satcasters hope, Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin said Sirius/XM should be able to offer some of its lower cost subscription packages by Father's Day 2008, and then its a la carte offerings, which require a new radio, by next Christmas.
http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0103/t.7588.html

08-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Smashley

I'm in the same boat as you, i also read somewhere (not sure where, dont have a link, sorry) that with the a la carte you'll have to buy a new radio. cant say i've read anything good about this... i'm going to hold out and see what happens and then drop sirius if its not a good scene.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
No new radio required since each service is keeping their satellites. I believe all NHL is now exclusive to XM.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 05:10 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
O&A party rock!

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 06:00 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
No new radio required since each service is keeping their satellites. I believe all NHL is now exclusive to XM.
Of course it is now but not after the merger. That would be ******** and completely defeat the purpose of having a merger. The point of it is is that people are pissed that they can't get such and such a sport on the one that they have. And I agree -- its a ****ing joke.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

uuugggg

looks like sirius subscribers get the shaft this nhl season

and freakin nascar literally has like 20 channels. They cover the race and put mics on the drivers

Old
08-03-2007, 06:29 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersMoogle View Post
O&A party rock!
FRRRRRRRUNKUS!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 07:16 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

This thread could get infected?!!! Mentioning O/A and Howard in the same sentence usually leads to a rapid decline of positive disscussion

Last year Stern and his hawt gf went to a Ranger game and he LOVED IT. He talked about the game for 40 minutes. Actually , the game and Hollweg putting some moves on Beth O during some interview spot she did for some newslight show.

It was surreal

Ferrell has the best NHL talk but its random. But he has players in to the studio or call in and they will talk about all kinds of wild stuff.

Ferrel use to call games for the Thrashers but was too wild for ATL

Old
08-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Smashley

Sirius Merger

Quote:
To use the a la carte option, customers would need new radios. Karmazin said the goal is to make the radios available within a year after gaining regulatory approval to combine the companies.

Under another option, consumers would be offered packages that are mostly music channels or mostly news. Each package would cost $9.99.

Subscribers to the 50-channel offering for $6.99 a month would be able to add channels for 25 cents each, Karmazin said.

Customers also would have the option of choosing a total of 100 channels from both services for $14.99 a month.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Seat16inNJ

Send a message via AIM to Seat16inNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
uuugggg

looks like sirius subscribers get the shaft this nhl season

and freakin nascar literally has like 20 channels. They cover the race and put mics on the drivers
On the weekend Nascar takes 10 channels for 10 drivers, not 20.
And the channels they take over are low priority programming.
In the end of all this I'd love to see a merger. The last couple of years between the two companies have done alot of jockeying back and forth has been between college football game broadcast rights.

With one major conglomerate taking control of all the broadcasts for every sport no one will have to choose between two entities anymore.

Seat16inNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 09:46 PM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
FRRRRRRRUNKUS!
That's terrible, I'm sorry. FACE!

phishman3579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 09:53 PM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seat16inNJ View Post
On the weekend Nascar takes 10 channels for 10 drivers, not 20.
And the channels they take over are low priority programming.
In the end of all this I'd love to see a merger. The last couple of years between the two companies have done alot of jockeying back and forth has been between college football game broadcast rights.

With one major conglomerate taking control of all the broadcasts for every sport no one will have to choose between two entities anymore.
Some might say, it would make a conglomerate mulatto mongrel type of satellite service.

phishman3579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 10:46 AM
DutchShamrock

According to the Stern show, who updates the merger frequently, the new package would be 50 channels for $6.95 with 25 cents for each additional channel over the 50. It would be $16.95 for all channels.

FYI, Sirius didn't drop the NHL per se. XM bought the exclusive rights to the NHL for the next ten seasons starting this year. Prior to that, Sirius bought the rights first (not exclusive) two years ago with XM purchasing rights last year.

This merger stuff is BS. It is all about lobbyists and politics. Exxon/Mobil took about a week when they mergered. Topps and UpperDeck are merging and this is taking only a week or two despite the fact the merger will create a virtual monopoly in the sports trading card market. They re-wrote broadcasting rules so Clear Channel could by more stations per market and more stations nationwide. Clear Channel is a huge supporter of rightwing politicians both in finances and in content. They have the most to lose in the satellite merger because a stronger satellite audience means lower advertising dollars for the biggest broadcast radio company.

The only argument is that there will only be one satellite radio company. The rebuttal is that satellite also competes with broadcast radio of which there are hundreds and hundreds of stations and companies to compete against. The car audio market also includes cd's and ipods. That is the argument against it despite the fact that they gave every single cable company a monopoly in every single market. The argument there is you don't have to buy it if you don't want to but it doesn't translate into this situation for some reason.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 12:41 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman3579 View Post
That's terrible, I'm sorry. FACE!
"NONONONONO"....Steve the bear

Old
08-04-2007, 12:43 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
According to the Stern show, who updates the merger frequently, the new package would be 50 channels for $6.95 with 25 cents for each additional channel over the 50. It would be $16.95 for all channels.

FYI, Sirius didn't drop the NHL per se. XM bought the exclusive rights to the NHL for the next ten seasons starting this year. Prior to that, Sirius bought the rights first (not exclusive) two years ago with XM purchasing rights last year.

This merger stuff is BS. It is all about lobbyists and politics. Exxon/Mobil took about a week when they mergered. Topps and UpperDeck are merging and this is taking only a week or two despite the fact the merger will create a virtual monopoly in the sports trading card market. They re-wrote broadcasting rules so Clear Channel could by more stations per market and more stations nationwide. Clear Channel is a huge supporter of rightwing politicians both in finances and in content. They have the most to lose in the satellite merger because a stronger satellite audience means lower advertising dollars for the biggest broadcast radio company.

The only argument is that there will only be one satellite radio company. The rebuttal is that satellite also competes with broadcast radio of which there are hundreds and hundreds of stations and companies to compete against. The car audio market also includes cd's and ipods. That is the argument against it despite the fact that they gave every single cable company a monopoly in every single market. The argument there is you don't have to buy it if you don't want to but it doesn't translate into this situation for some reason.

Regular radio is horrific, I listen to WFAN & thats about it, The commercials are just to much to bear. I'm not abig fan of this merger happening.

Old
08-04-2007, 01:50 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Regular radio is horrific, I listen to WFAN & thats about it, The commercials are just to much to bear. I'm not abig fan of this merger happening.
How can you not be a fan of the merger...?

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 04:20 PM
chosen

The only thing we can all be sure of is that after the merger is finally approved, subscribers to both services will get hosed somehow.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 08:50 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The only thing we can all be sure of is that after the merger is finally approved, subscribers to both services will get hosed somehow.
Thats why I'm not a fan of the service, Right now both services have spent a ton of money to one up each other, so the progra qulaity has been there, who knows what will happen if the merger is approved.

Old
08-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

100+ channels no problems with the programming. Lots of cool diversity, at least on Sirius.

I just dont want to go through the hassle of buying XM too if I can share both services in 6 months , a year etc.

Unfortunately it looks like I might miss NHLwhen Im on the go

Old
08-05-2007, 08:21 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Quote:
Thats why I'm not a fan of the service, Right now both services have spent a ton of money to one up each other, so the progra qulaity has been there, who knows what will happen if the merger is approved.
Well, this is the essence of the merger debate. They could theoretically raise prices and flex their monopolic muscles. They could force subscribers to pay whatever inflated price they institute because they are no other satellite options. But in reality every subscriber has another option: Broadcast (free) radio. I don't like that option personally and prefer to pay for the satellite service I have, but if they raise prices more than a buck or so I'm gone. And I'm sure I won't be the only one.

They really can't afford to chase away customers at this point. Satellite radio is still a volitile enterprise, it doesn't have the strength to withstand a mass exodus of its subscriber base from a poorly timed price increase. They (supposedly) aren't turning profits yet so every subscription counts. According to Mel Karmazin (sp? - CEO of Sirius), they can streamline both companies and save money that they spend on beating each other. They can simply focus on competing with broadcast radio which is a cost they currently bare. So theoretically (again) they could finally turn a profit while potentially reducing or maintaining current prices.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote