HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Forsberg and Selanne Possible Targets for New Ownership Group? - Eklund

Old
08-05-2007, 11:58 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Forsberg and Selanne Possible Targets for New Ownership Group? - Eklund

Interesting quote in Eklund's blog this AM

The new ownership group in Nashville wants to make a splash and there are rumours that they could try and get both Peter [Forsberg] and Teemu [Selanne] if both are still around when the sale gets final approval.

The money that the Preds have cut from the cap are not about this group wanting to keep the cap low, it is about them wanting to have some play money to make they mark. This is one excited group of people and you can bet your big floppy hat they will spend.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8851

Wouldn't that be something.....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:06 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm filing this under "I'll believe it when I see it."

I DO think we'll end up making a play for Forsberg whenever he decides he's ready, but even in that regard I'm not sure we'd get it done.

Nice thoughts, though.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Dodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Same here.
Although with hockey...anything can happen.

Would be interesting though.

Paul Kariya: "Doh!"

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

I DO think we'll end up making a play for Forsberg whenever he decides he's ready, but even in that regard I'm not sure we'd get it done.

Nice thoughts, though.
Forsberg has recently stated that all 30 NHL teams and MODO are potential destinations for him this next season. He also stated that he's unlikely to sign a deal prior to the season as he wants to make sure that he's 100% healthy before committing to anyone.

I would be shocked if Selanne went to any team aside from Anaheim though. IMO it's Anaheim or bust for him.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 03:38 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Forsberg has recently stated that all 30 NHL teams and MODO are potential destinations for him this next season. He also stated that he's unlikely to sign a deal prior to the season as he wants to make sure that he's 100% healthy before committing to anyone.

I would be shocked if Selanne went to any team aside from Anaheim though. IMO it's Anaheim or bust for him.
I agree I think are chances for Forsberg coming back are slim and for Teemu I would say none to none, but hey anything can happen. But if it did I would probaly cry like a little girl.

Oh and you have to think of all the players were gonna need to sign next year that are gonna get substantial raises. Therefore signing either one of them to deals over 1 year is a risky proposition further complicating the matter.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Jarnberg

This is such a NHL 08 (or pick your year ) type rumor.

Who are Forsberg and Selanne going to replace? And no, I'm not saying they aren't as good as anyone on our roster, but our lines look pretty set.

It looks like we've gone with the following approach:

2 scoring lines
1 defensive / two-wayish line
1 energy / PIM line

So the addition of Forsberg and/or Selanne would mean that our current third line would now be a fourth line and we'd have to dump a bunch of players.

I cannot see this happening at all, especially with training camp coming up next month.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 05:42 PM
handtrick

I think that anyone that wants to bet against this actually happening is making a pretty safe bet.

That being said, I think we, as Pred fans, have been conditioned by the events of this summer that we are going to have a salary cap floor hugging team, no if-ands-or-buts.

I think what this rumor might tell us is THAT assumption, may not in fact, be the case of what will actually transpire over the course of the next few months when this new group gains full reigns of the team.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 07:18 PM
fogducker

Forsberg wants to win and unfortunatly by spending the league min the Preds organization is sending a negative image to forsberg. Also, kariya is gone..

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 08:50 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
This is such a NHL 08 (or pick your year ) type rumor.

Who are Forsberg and Selanne going to replace? And no, I'm not saying they aren't as good as anyone on our roster, but our lines look pretty set.

It looks like we've gone with the following approach:

2 scoring lines
1 defensive / two-wayish line
1 energy / PIM line

So the addition of Forsberg and/or Selanne would mean that our current third line would now be a fourth line and we'd have to dump a bunch of players.

I cannot see this happening at all, especially with training camp coming up next month.

I agree with you that are team is fine how it is now, but if you have the chance to sign foppa and teemu I think that you do. Assuming ownership wants too It would be one hell of a way to start with a bang. Remember the buzz that was created when we traded for foppa. Just imagine adding both. That being said even though I'm one of the few people that like Eklund and trust him, I think this rumor is BOGUS.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I agree with you that are team is fine how it is now, but if you have the chance to sign foppa and teemu I think that you do. Assuming ownership wants too It would be one hell of a way to start with a bang. Remember the buzz that was created when we traded for foppa. Just imagine adding both. That being said even though I'm one of the few people that like Eklund and trust him, I think this rumor is BOGUS.
Theres a difference between the thinking of what it would do for the team and what would need to happen if those players were brought in.

Again, I'm not suggesting that adding Forsberg and Selanne would hurt the team, but in order to do so, you have to make some trades.

Adding Forsberg and Selanne would likely indicate we're going with 3 scoring lines. If we keep 2 scoring line approach, then we'll have to trade two of Legwand, Erat, Radulov, Sullivan, Dumont. If we go with 3 scoring lines, then the our current third line of (Gelinas, Bonk, Ortmeyer/Fiddler) will become our fourth line. You could make a case for Gelinas staying up on the third, but regardless, we'd have to then make some deals, dealing away some of Smithson, Fiddler, Nichol, Tootoo, Hordichuk; not exactly players with a ton of trade value.

Judging by the types of moves made by Poile this offseason, it appears we're going to ditch the 3 scoring lines idea like we tried to do last year (couldn't do it due to not having enough good players). No more not quite offensive, not quite defensive third lines. Having Fiddler center Hartnell and Radulov does that to you. Getting Forsberg was supposed to fix that, but then we got nailed with injuries, again having players like Fiddler on that role who can't quite cut it.

The ownership group, if successful in their bid, will not gain control of the team until September. Until then, its highly unlikely that Leipold gives Poile to keys to make these type of signings. Not to mention, the ownership group wants to stop the bleeding in terms of finances.

Old
08-05-2007, 09:20 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
Forsberg wants to win and unfortunatly by spending the league min the Preds organization is sending a negative image to forsberg. Also, kariya is gone..
Our old ownership wanted to spend the minimum. The new one is likely not to have such a restriction.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:24 PM
MetalMilitia

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was aboot Peter and Teemu becoming part owners of the Preds or something because neither of them are coming back this year, or next.

MetalMilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Depch

Teemu said on friday at Finnish TV that it's either Anaheim or he calls it a career, so that's one more rumour for the trashbin.

Depch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:15 PM
DManPreds11

Eklund just said they(new potential owners) would be intrested in getting the two, only stating the obvious, any team in the league would be intrested in bringing the pair to their team. I'm going to start my own rumor "local group intrested in bringing a fan favorite back Tomas Volkoun in a trade for Mason and a 2nd round pick". That would be great IMO! Eklund is great for teasing the hockey fix we need in the off season. I love it, can't wait til the puck drops! GO PREDS!!

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:28 PM
FanGirl10

The thought of Teemu in a Preds jersey is very exciting, but I'm not holding my breath. And as much as I'd like Peter back, we're already 1 over, I don't like the thought of having to send two away.

Call me crazy, but I'd like to see what the current team can do...

FanGirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I would be somewhat suspicious if new owners came in and strarted throwing money around after buying a franchise that has lost so much money in the past. With a 100+ point team, they couldn't come close to filling their arena or getting corporate sponsorship.

If the new owners are intent on keeping the team in Nashville, I would think that they would be coming up with a sound business plan that would be geared toward making the Preds profitable. Put a competetive team on the ice, and work on growing fan support and corporate involvement. The competetive team is there, but despite a few more season tickets being sold, nothing has been proven yet on how the community as a whole will respond.

Dr. Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I would be somewhat suspicious if new owners came in and strarted throwing money around after buying a franchise that has lost so much money in the past. With a 100+ point team, they couldn't come close to filling their arena or getting corporate sponsorship.

If the new owners are intent on keeping the team in Nashville, I would think that they would be coming up with a sound business plan that would be geared toward making the Preds profitable. Put a competetive team on the ice, and work on growing fan support and corporate involvement. The competetive team is there, but despite a few more season tickets being sold, nothing has been proven yet on how the community as a whole will respond.
While I agree with the idea that the local ownership group isn't going to throw money at this team right off the bat, I think you need to realize that statements like this:

Quote:
With a 100+ point team, they couldn't come close to filling their arena or getting corporate sponsorship.
I think we all realize our attendance 'woes' and we've all posted our thoughts on the matter numerous times. But if this makes you feel better about your team's failure last year (whoever that team is) then go right ahead.

You can make points without trying to slam the city.

Old
08-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

There was no slam intended. Only statements of fact. Your hostility toward me is misguided as I have posted several places on this board that I believe this team needs to stay in Nashville, and I wish you nothing but future success. A little realism isn't meant to be a slam on your city.

In fact it is time for your city to step up and do it's part. Sure the Jackets have stunk the place up since they have joined the NHL, but I don't post on boards to "make myself feel better". The Jackets winning will make me feel better, not someone elses lack of some type of success.

I think your post, and hostility, is based more on your embarrassment at the fact that your city did not support that team, as it deserved to be supported. Had that team been in Columbus, that would have been the toughest ticket in town, Ohio State be damned.

I hope that this has been a wake-up call to everyone in Nashville, and the state as a whole. I hope the Preds live long and prosper. All I am saying is the new owners need to go into this with a sound business plan, which I assume they are. Jumping right into the UFA market to "make a splash" could be good, and it could not. Just saying that everyone needs to go about this in a way that guarentees future success, both with the team, and the fan base for the long term, not just the short.

Old
08-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
There was no slam intended. Only statements of fact. Your hostility toward me is misguided as I have posted several places on this board that I believe this team needs to stay in Nashville, and I wish you nothing but future success. A little realism isn't meant to be a slam on your city.

In fact it is time for your city to step up and do it's part. Sure the Jackets have stunk the place up since they have joined the NHL, but I don't post on boards to "make myself feel better". The Jackets winning will make me feel better, not someone elses lack of some type of success.

I think your post, and hostility, is based more on your embarrassment at the fact that your city did not support that team, as it deserved to be supported. Had that team been in Columbus, that would have been the toughest ticket in town, Ohio State be damned.

I hope that this has been a wake-up call to everyone in Nashville, and the state as a whole. I hope the Preds live long and prosper. All I am saying is the new owners need to go into this with a sound business plan, which I assume they are. Jumping right into the UFA market to "make a splash" could be good, and it could not. Just saying that everyone needs to go about this in a way that guarentees future success, both with the team, and the fan base for the long term, not just the short.
Sure, what you said is realistic, but there was no need to come across like you did.

You very easily could have stated 'Due to the financial situation with the team, I can't see the owners flooding money into the team until they turn around the finances', without the statement of
Quote:
With a 100+ point team, they couldn't come close to filling their arena or getting corporate sponsorship.
Like I said, while you aren't necessarily wrong, its the way you go about it and sometimes comments like the one above is unnecessary, especially given that we are the ones who are most in tune with what is going on here.

Old
08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Ok, we'll forget all about the past. Never happened. Spend away with reckless abandon. Everything will be OK, now. We can all relax. Nashville has redeemed itself as a hotbed of Hockey. Gosh, let's strip Detroit of the "Hockey Town" moniker and give it to Nashville.

Come on, guys! These boards are to debate and discuss Hockey stuff. That's what I was doing. Don't read more into a post than is there. I support you and your efforts to keep your franchise. So far so good, but the job remains unfinished. You take it from there.

Old
08-06-2007, 01:21 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If I lived in Ohio, I'd take attendance shots at Nashville too. It's going to suck when attendance isn't an issue anymore after this season.

It could also show that the teams fininancial woes aren't what Leipold made them out to be.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Ok, we'll forget all about the past. Never happened. Spend away with reckless abandon. Everything will be OK, now. We can all relax. Nashville has redeemed itself as a hotbed of Hockey. Gosh, let's strip Detroit of the "Hockey Town" moniker and give it to Nashville.

Come on, guys! These boards are to debate and discuss Hockey stuff. That's what I was doing. Don't read more into a post than is there. I support you and your efforts to keep your franchise. So far so good, but the job remains unfinished. You take it from there.
What part of
Quote:
while you aren't necessarily wrong
do you not understand?

You're welcome to overreact though

Old
08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

LOL, ok, we'll put this one to bed. I think after all this we understand eachother.

Check out the Detroit boards, they are pretty hopped up about Forsberg maybe coming to Detroit. I don't think Forsberg has really decided where he wants to play, but it sounds like he won't be going anywhere till his foot is 100%. If I can find the article I'll post it, but it sounds like he is not going to play much till after training camps are over.