HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's up with the NP homepage?

Old
08-05-2007, 03:48 AM
Noori

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwrx View Post
And the forums? They have been offline for most of the morning.
They've been overflowing with fans.

I kid, I kid. Works for me.

Also, at the Preds forum, do they accept webbased emails (hotmail, yahoo, gmail) for accounts? i've had that problem with another message board.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 07:49 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgary highlander View Post

Also, at the Preds forum, do they accept webbased emails (hotmail, yahoo, gmail) for accounts? i've had that problem with another message board.

I don't know about that, but they ban Canadian ISP addresses

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Pattypred

I know several people on the NP boards that have hotmail and yahoo email addresses.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Predmaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The NP boards are a great distraction with some occasional hockey discussion. With the constants of ColdChickory and his size fetish and the never ending puckbunny threads the boards there can get frustrating to say the least. There are a few threads there that are worth reading on a constant basis and one or two that should remain just for comic value. The sad truth is that no matter what a message board will never remain 100% on topic or focus on topics that you may want to partake in, not even these boards.
Just to clarifiy something. There is just one "puckbunny" thread. It is located in the General Discussion area. It was relocated there after the netminder realized that it wasn't going away. The ladies who participate on that thread are almost all full or partial season ticket holders. We can and do talk about hockey in other threads. This one is for us to appreciate the guys in our own way. Nobody is making you read it. So cut the holier than thou attitude, okay.

Predmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predmaiden View Post
Just to clarifiy something. There is just one "puckbunny" thread. It is located in the General Discussion area. It was relocated there after the netminder realized that it wasn't going away. The ladies who participate on that thread are almost all full or partial season ticket holders. We can and do talk about hockey in other threads. This one is for us to appreciate the guys in our own way. Nobody is making you read it. So cut the holier than thou attitude, okay.
*cough* very reason some/most of the HOCKEY fans came over here *cough*

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 01:04 PM
handtrick

Wow 101st, looks like you really disturbed the rabbit nest over there....why did go and throw that smoke bomb down the puckybunny hole anyway?

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 02:55 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
i've always liked these boards... and would post more often if i could access them while at work..

the posters here generally see a really good hockey game, without a doubt the hockey intelligence level here is far higher on average than the np.com boards of course.. far higher..

but as handtrick mentioned... i (and trig and handtrick and a few others) have come to almost feel a civic responisbility to remain on np.com.. the young, new hockey fans coming on there everyday have to have some people talking intelligent hockey the right way to them.. many are literally starving for hockey insight and ideas and what to look for.. many simply want to learn the game and will listen.. if all of us that know hockey, simply abandon them to talk hockey among ourselves, we're doing many a great disservice in my opinion... someone has to counter the negativism and pessimism and stupidness of the coldchicory's and abaddon's and many others or we'll lose hundreds of promising young hockey fans to ignorance..
I had been told about these boards and started to read some of these threads, but the level of bias on here about other boards and how this board is so much better and has better discussion and more hockey knowledge is a little interesting.
Nice picture of your bass fishing friend on the media thread.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 05:04 PM
FanGirl10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
*cough* very reason some/most of the HOCKEY fans came over here *cough*

Wow. I lurk here. I love hockey, love the sport, but I realize I don't know quite as much as some of you OLD people do. Yes, I was raised mostly in the south and didn't have the benefit of growing up bleeding (literally and figuratively) hockey. Does that mean my passion is any less?

Heck no.

But seriously, get over yourselves. Especially since I'm sure most of you have contributed as much as I have (and maybe less) to keeping the team in Nashville.

We need fans of all kinds, and instead of "hating" on the fans we do have, how about being a bit more welcoming and focusing your displeasure where it belongs--- to those who don't believe we deserve a team.

FanGirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 05:21 PM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Plus the firewalls don't block me from posting there at work, like they do here....

I've had my good arguements with CC, they've seemed to calm down now though.
Trigg: I'll bet they have calmed down because you actually met him.....message board people do tend to behave once you know who they are.
I'd like to meet the guy....bet he is not as big a fool as he lets on. I think he does it just for the sake of arguing.....surely he really doesn't believe all that crap.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 05:28 PM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanGirl10 View Post
Wow. I lurk here. I love hockey, love the sport, but I realize I don't know quite as much as some of you OLD people do. Yes, I was raised mostly in the south and didn't have the benefit of growing up bleeding (literally and figuratively) hockey. Does that mean my passion is any less?

Heck no.

But seriously, get over yourselves. Especially since I'm sure most of you have contributed as much as I have (and maybe less) to keeping the team in Nashville.

We need fans of all kinds, and instead of "hating" on the fans we do have, how about being a bit more welcoming and focusing your displeasure where it belongs--- to those who don't believe we deserve a team.
Keep coming over here fangirl....Pattypred and I need some backup.....just watch the OLD people comment . Lots of us grew up in the south. You won't find anyone more southern than Pred303guy......he still believes Lincoln was never President of the USA.....and that Lee was.

Old
08-05-2007, 05:30 PM
FanGirl10

Thanks predperson! I'm around, maybe I'll even speak up more.

This board is infinitely more intimidating though.

Old
08-05-2007, 06:03 PM
predperson

Quote:

Don't let it be.....they need women over here too. They just don't quite get the need that women have to socialize when we talk about hockey. We need a mixture. I love the good hockey talk also but I like a little gossip thrown in for good measure!

Old
08-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson View Post
Don't let it be.....they need women over here too. They just don't quite get the need that women have to socialize when we talk about hockey. We need a mixture. I love the good hockey talk also but I like a little gossip thrown in for good measure!
As predperson said, I think everyone is welcome over here as long as you follow the rules of the board. I really think that is what separates this board from the other. The rules here are much stricter and there are many more moderators on these boards that make sure that the stricter set of guidelines are obeyed and they are quick to take action when they are not.

One of the things that really drives me nuts over on NP.com is that people always post the full text of articles, sometimes without even putting a link. This probably bothers me more than others though because I have written for newspapers in the past where I got paid for every paper that picked up an article. As a matter of fact the other day I posted some quotes from an AP article I found on TSN, posted my thoughts about the remarks, and also posted a link for people to read the full text of the article. The next day, three posts below mine...someone posted the entire article from TSN without any comment, but thankfully at least with a link.

I don't like much of the social banter that goes back and forth on NP.com, but mainly that is due to the fact I don't always even understand the jokes because I don't know too many of the posters on any personal level. I don't hold this against anyone, nor do I hold it against the board or the moderators though because I think the team's official messageboards needs to lend itself as a place for Predators fans from all over the world to connect away from the arena in addition to serving it's purpose of facilitating hockey and specificially Predators related discussion.

People reading this board should not be afraid to ask even the simpliest question. As a matter of fact they should be encouraged to ask questions for the very reason that has been stated a couple of times in this thread...we are not a traditional hockey market. Many of our current fans and almost all of the people that we need to continue to reach out to to develop our fanbase did not grow up with hockey and have many questions about the sport that until they are resolved, will hinder the person from fully enjoying our great game.

I propose that we develop a "Hockey 101" type of thread here and have it stickyed by the mods. I for one would not hesitate to answer any questions, no matter how insignificant, posted in the thread and I'm sure others would do the same. People should not be intimidated to talk hockey here and I encourage all of you messageboard lurkers out there to join in the discussion.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:59 PM
lstcyr

Quote:

It doesn't have to be. I think the intimidating part is that this board expects people to either know what they're talking about, be able to explain their position or be humble enough to venture an opinion without it coming across as gospel. I prefer it to the other board because there are fewer wild emotional posts.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:42 PM
braindead

Three thoughts:

1. I agree with lstcyr and slake -- I like this board b/c it has fewer wild emotional posts and tends to stay on topic better.

2. I think this board is not for more knowledgeable fans but more obsessed fans.

3. Fangirl10- these boards are like life; if you don't give a **** what total strangers think of you, then it's a lot less intimidating and more fun. Post away! (If it helps, pick a name like braindead to keep people's expectations low).

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:26 PM
FanGirl10

Thanks all.

I like that things stay strictly on topic. I know on other boards, I feel that I'm having the same conversation in four different threads, simply because they roam. I completely advocate strict adherence.

I've also been "in" the online community long enough that there is absolutely no possible way to interpret someone's attitude or intentions 100% of the time. Most of the time it is a harmless comment that spurs on the negativity. I get that as well.

But as for the stupid questions? Well, I'm naturally blonde. It doesn't matter how well I understand something, at some point, I will most likely embarass myself. I"m ok with that as well. Where it gets difficult is when someone immediately calls you out on it.

I'll be the first one to say I have no idea what I"m talking about. But I'm also not the type of person who will step on her soapbox and make up crap as she goes along. If I have an opinion it's mine- and I will defend it.

I think it's ok to have the "in jokes" and the familiarity, but I agree, stick to the topic at hand. (Which as I'm typing this I'm realizing we are way off!)

So let's see: Humility, check; ability to back up my opinion with fact (or something close), check; knowing what the heck I'm talking about... well, that's why I'm here.

Thanks guys.

Old
08-05-2007, 11:49 PM
predfan24

I like these boards because it's a great place to talk hockey. I tried posting on the NP website after 05-06 playoff lost to the sharks. After one week of being chastised for my opioions by people that apparently thought their post count meant they knew more than me I had to leave. I know, I know a few people don't represent the majority. However it turned me off to those boards. If I have a debate here I know I'm most likely not gonna get any personal attacks. That being said, I browse there occasianally and I LOVE the enthusiasm. Just seeing how many new members have registered their in the last two years shows what direction our fanbase is going. The bottom line is were all on the same team, But if I want to talk Preds hockey I'm coming here.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 02:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Bradyfive and I were talking the other day and decided it's harder to be a fan of hockey in the south. We have to work to get our information since the local media sucks, we have to take heat from the non hockey fans we work with and then take heat from the holier than though northern fans at places like this and still stay true to hockey. We're like the Eminem of the hockey world, as good as we may be we'll never excepted by our own people or anyone else.

I've played hockey for as long as I can remember, well before the Predators and remember the years of trying to find any game around town to play even if it meant driving to BFE to play inline in a crappy rink with wooden boards that rattled when you skated over them, or on tennis courts that had huge cracks that would grab your stick or parking lots with puck patrol set-up. Even today, with only 4 sheets of ice, I can't even get my brother a spot on my ice team until someone quits (no one quits, even a guy that is going to miss the season is paying his fee to keep his roster spot, the league isn't excepting new players this season and are in fact cutting 140 players from the adult league because the sport has grown faster than the rinks.

So yeah up north were you can roll out of bed on Saturday, read your hockey news from your local paper, listen to hockey talk on the radio on the way to the rink for the Saturday afternoon game you just decided to go play in is easy. Southern fans have to work for our passion.

I don't know what this adds to this thread but I"m sure one of the 50 mods on this board can move it if they need too. :-)

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:49 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
It doesn't have to be. I think the intimidating part is that this board expects people to either know what they're talking about, be able to explain their position or be humble enough to venture an opinion without it coming across as gospel. I prefer it to the other board because there are fewer wild emotional posts.
Exactly.

On the other board, you can make absurd statements--and you're caught in such a horrendous flurry of them that no one notices or calls you on it. We hold a higher standard here, and I guess that makes it seem like we're all elitist jerks.

On the other hand, if overmoderating this forum or calling people out for saying "Legwand is so lazy, he should try learning to play defense"(just an example, the Legwand war is classic on the other board, and that's a comment I've seen more than once, which forms the basis for my argument) is what it takes to keep this board from becoming the way the other board is..then so be it. I'm sure it does scare some people away, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. I value..and I know a lot of our posters value...the level of sophistication and intelligence on the Nashville end of this board.

Think of it this way...

the NP.com boards are the bar you go to have a beer with your buddies, goof off, and maybe talk a bit about the Predators.

These boards are where you go when it's the next morning, you've sobered off, and it's time to get back to business.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:19 AM
FanGirl10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Exactly.

On the other board, you can make absurd statements--and you're caught in such a horrendous flurry of them that no one notices or calls you on it. We hold a higher standard here, and I guess that makes it seem like we're all elitist jerks.

On the other hand, if overmoderating this forum or calling people out for saying "Legwand is so lazy, he should try learning to play defense"(just an example, the Legwand war is classic on the other board, and that's a comment I've seen more than once, which forms the basis for my argument) is what it takes to keep this board from becoming the way the other board is..then so be it. I'm sure it does scare some people away, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. I value..and I know a lot of our posters value...the level of sophistication and intelligence on the Nashville end of this board.

Think of it this way...

the NP.com boards are the bar you go to have a beer with your buddies, goof off, and maybe talk a bit about the Predators.

These boards are where you go when it's the next morning, you've sobered off, and it's time to get back to business.
Which is completely fine. I think a few of us took some of the "higher standards" comments as a personal attack... which is something this board is supposed to be above...

Old
08-06-2007, 07:37 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
[QUOTE=triggrman;10117088]I can't even get my brother a spot on my ice team until someone quits (no one quits, even a guy that is going to miss the season is paying his fee to keep his roster spot, the league isn't excepting new players this season and are in fact cutting 140 players from the adult league because the sport has grown faster than the rinks.QUOTE]

that's bad news for those 140 guys, but in a wierd way that is the best news Ive heard in a while. I hope it continues to grow, this is what our naysayers never seem to understand.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:44 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Bradyfive and I were talking the other day and decided it's harder to be a fan of hockey in the south. We have to work to get our information since the local media sucks, we have to take heat from the non hockey fans we work with and then take heat from the holier than though northern fans at places like this and still stay true to hockey. We're like the Eminem of the hockey world, as good as we may be we'll never excepted by our own people or anyone else.

I've played hockey for as long as I can remember, well before the Predators and remember the years of trying to find any game around town to play even if it meant driving to BFE to play inline in a crappy rink with wooden boards that rattled when you skated over them, or on tennis courts that had huge cracks that would grab your stick or parking lots with puck patrol set-up. Even today, with only 4 sheets of ice, I can't even get my brother a spot on my ice team until someone quits (no one quits, even a guy that is going to miss the season is paying his fee to keep his roster spot, the league isn't excepting new players this season and are in fact cutting 140 players from the adult league because the sport has grown faster than the rinks.

So yeah up north were you can roll out of bed on Saturday, read your hockey news from your local paper, listen to hockey talk on the radio on the way to the rink for the Saturday afternoon game you just decided to go play in is easy. Southern fans have to work for our passion.

I don't know what this adds to this thread but I"m sure one of the 50 mods on this board can move it if they need too. :-)
Amen. I grew up in NYC where you had 3/4 Major papers covering hockey. Roller and Ice games going at all hours. After moving down here it was tough. No Roller Hockey, 1 sheet of ice at the old Ice Centennial. No NHL coverage in the Paper or TV.
We have come a long way!!!!

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 10:32 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Which is completely fine. I think a few of us took some of the "higher standards" comments as a personal attack... which is something this board is supposed to be above...
It's not meant to be an attack, but it is somewhat true. We've repeatedly asked our posters NOT to advertise this board on that site, simply for fear that we'd get an influx we couldn't control. We've had some posters that were more "social" on the other board...but assimilated nicely into what we do over here.

Some of the best posters over there are some of the best posters over here...and have a little less responsibility when they come to this board, which I think they enjoy. For me, the turn-off came when, a couple of years ago, I was arguing that I didn't feel that Tootoo was ever going to be a first-line player, and pointing out that scoring a lot of goals his final year in juniors wasn't indicative of otherwise..and I was accused of being a "hockey god"(derisively), and a few users picked up on it. You couldn't say anything contrary to the groupthink--which at the time was "Legwand sucks, Hartnell has attitude problems and should be traded, Paul Kariya is the best, even though he's not scoring" without being accused of being a "hockey god." It was like the post-game call in show...manifested into a messageboard...so I mostly stopped posting in favor of the more intimate, analytical environment over here. We do slip up over here, it's not to say this is some robot board, but for the most part, it's pretty even-keel...which isn't something that can be said about the NP.com boards during the season. That's all, really.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:22 PM
predsfan031806

But...you mean...Tootoo isn't going to be on the first line this year? But I've been waiting so long for that to happen!

I've always wanted to come on this board to do more than just read, but it can be intimidating, especially because my posts on the np boards are either lost or laughed at (I think my low post count might have something to do with that).

The hardest part for me is that I don't get to read the boards all day and I usually fall behind, so if there is something that I want to comment on, by the time I get around to it there are three more pages and the subject has already been changed. By coming here, because there are fewer posters, I don't have to worry about that.

So I think you can expect me to post a little more over here, so beware of the stupid and sometimes uninformed questions (especially because I won't be able to see any games this year as I will be living in Florida...but too far away to see Vokoun).

predsfan031806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

As others have mentioned, the NP website is its own, living, breathing/propaganda machine. Some posters abuse this (see ColdChicory who couldn't observe a well-played hockey game unless it was played by a basketball team [see - size/tall/large]. On the other hand, I do think it is important to occasionally drop in and make a few observations. Otherwise, you will see the few people who just continually shout down their opponents dominate the conversation with what amounts to be inaccurate and ignorant information.........something young fans do not need more of.