HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

LeBron James vs. Sidney Crosby

View Poll Results: Who is the greater phenom?
LeBron James 208 49.06%
Sidney Crosby 216 50.94%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-06-2007, 02:08 PM
HABSMANIA21*

vCash: 500
well the way i see it is crosby is the best in the nhl and lebron probely isnt ''the best in the nba'' hes for sure up there but probely not the best. my answer would be crosby.

HABSMANIA21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 03:04 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Anyone who is knowledgable in both hockey and basketball would see that Crosby is the better of the two, but far. Im a Heat fan, and Im going to be a little biased here, but Wade is better than James. LeBron has a lot of work left to do on his game. He is more of a physical phenom than anything.

Lebron has game, no doubt, but his game is far from complete. He has no outside game. If someone dares to say he does, then you are wearing rose-colored glasses. He makes his jumpers cause he takes so many. He has a limited low post game. With his size and strength, he should be backing himself down in the post all the time, but he doesnt. His defense is average. The reason why he gets so much hype was because of his hype coming out of HS. As much as I do like his game, there are a handful of players that I would take over him.

Crosby on the other hand, is a phenom, a franchise savior. The boy, and lets face it, boy, has taken the league over. He is as skilled as it comes, and has the chance to become one of the greatest hockey players we have seen in a long time.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 03:06 PM
MM425

Come to think of it, you could make the arguement that LeBron isn't even a top 5 player in the NBA:

1. Kobe
2. Duncan
3. Dirk
4. Iverson
5. Nash

Then there's Carmello Anthony, Gilbert Arenas, Dwayne Wade...

Crosby has no equal in the NHL right now... LBJ has sevral.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Mirinho

Crosby, he is much better hockey player!

I don't care about basketball so for me Crosby!

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Goldark

Roger Federer is a bigger sports phenom than both of them combined.

Goldark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Garbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldark View Post
Roger Federer is a bigger sports phenom than both of them combined.
Roger Federer isn't a kid, in a comparable sport. And neither is Tiger Woods. Or Ronaldinho.

It's pretty obvious why I've gone with the two atheletes that I have.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 03:42 PM
slade

sid- simply for the fact that he is the best player in his respective league.

the difficulty of each players sport shouldnt even be up for discussion here.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 03:45 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Come to think of it, you could make the arguement that LeBron isn't even a top 5 player in the NBA:

1. Kobe
2. Duncan
3. Dirk
4. Iverson
5. Nash

Oh, easy there buddy. If you are going to have a top five, then Wade is definately gonna be there. Before Wade got hurt, he was carrying the Heat as good as any other player carried their team. Dirk has the talent, but he is not a winner, nor a leader. Talent alone doesnt put him in my top five.

Duncan
Kobe
Wade
Nash
5a. James
5b. Anthony

Thats the six best players in the NBA IMO.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Maken*

In hockey, you rely heavily on your teammates. For example, what if Crosby played on the same team as Dan Cloutier? He wouldn't have a chance to win jack, ever. Is their any player in the NBA that can bring down a team as much as a bad goalie? I think not.

Basing the comparison on how much they have won so far is stupid for that reason, in addition to the fact that Crosby is much younger.

Crosby by a mile. Hell, a few miles.

Maken* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Goldark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Roger Federer isn't a kid, in a comparable sport. And neither is Tiger Woods. Or Ronaldinho.

It's pretty obvious why I've gone with the two atheletes that I have.
The case can be made for Federer a few years ago when he was 23 and won 4 out of the last 5 majors including 3 during the 2004 season (and would go on an incredible tear at the majors).

As a comparison, Lebron James turns 23 in 4 months.

Goldark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldark View Post
The case can be made for Federer a few years ago when he was 23 and won 4 out of the last 5 majors including 3 during the 2004 season (and would go on an incredible tear at the majors).

As a comparison, Lebron James turns 23 in 4 months.
Here's another way to look at it: Roger Federer is just about to turn 26 years old, already owns or is tied for many all-time tennis records (and not the "youngest to do..." type "records" that people are always hyping up for Crosby and James, but actual records), and many feel that he is the best in the history of the sport. Anyone think either Crosby or Lebron will have similar numbers. and get similar treatment, when they turn 26?

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:31 PM
40oz

Lebron. Because hes a triple threat, singing, dancing and basketball.

Also basketball is a sport where individuals can thrive much more easily than hockey.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:53 PM
gimzo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach - #1 Canes Fan View Post
They're both up there with the most dominant in their respective leagues, but Lebron James brought his team all the way to the NBA Finals. It has to be Lebron for me
On a sidenote, Lebron also already was in his 4th pro season when he led his team to the finals. To hold that against Crosby in this comparison with his 2 pro seasons seems a little unfair to me, also considering where the Pens came from.

gimzo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post

1. Kobe
2. Duncan
3. Dirk
4. Iverson
5. Nash

Iverson? Seriously?

For the record, less than 2/3 of the voters picked Sid as the MVP of the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Oh, easy there buddy. If you are going to have a top five, then Wade is definately gonna be there. Before Wade got hurt, he was carrying the Heat as good as any other player carried their team. Dirk has the talent, but he is not a winner, nor a leader. Talent alone doesnt put him in my top five.

Duncan
Kobe
Wade
Nash
5a. James
5b. Anthony

Thats the six best players in the NBA IMO.
the NBA MVP voting went down:

Nowitzki
Nash
Bryant
Duncan
James

The thing is, James has the worst supporting cast out of all those guys (Kobe only slightly better). If James had some help, his game would definatly pick up.

Also, James was 2nd in MVP voting last year, behind only Nash, and was predicted to with the MVP at the start of the season. He took a step back this past year.

But he took a giant leap forward in the playoffs. James did something in the playoffs that none of those guys were able to do, and that was take his team on his back to the NBA finals. If we are talking about being a leader and winner, well, when it was on the line, James raised his game higher than anyone else.

As for Sidney vs Lebron...

Sid won the MVP and Art Ross. Its arguable if he is the best in the league, but only if we are talking goalies, or maybe defensemen. Sid is the best forward in the NHL. The same cant be said for James. Advantage Crosby.

Lebron lead his team to the Finals, and had one of the most dominating games in recent basketball history. He raised his game to a level that Sidney has not reached. Advantage James.

So if we are talking regular seasons, Crosby wins quite easily. If we are talking playoffs, when games are more important, James wins quite easily. So which is more important? Sucess over the long season, or being able to step up your game when need be?

Anyone who says either is better by a wide margin is just wrong.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:18 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Here's another way to look at it: Roger Federer is just about to turn 26 years old, already owns or is tied for many all-time tennis records (and not the "youngest to do..." type "records" that people are always hyping up for Crosby and James, but actual records), and many feel that he is the best in the history of the sport. Anyone think either Crosby or Lebron will have similar numbers. and get similar treatment, when they turn 26?
Well, Federer isn't following in the footsteps of a tennis player who shattered records like Gretzky did in hockey. And we'll see where Crosby is when he's 26. Thats 7 years away. Who knows what could happen.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Maken*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Iverson? Seriously?

For the record, less than 2/3 of the voters picked Sid as the MVP of the NHL.
the NBA MVP voting went down:

Nowitzki
Nash
Bryant
Duncan
James

The thing is, James has the worst supporting cast out of all those guys (Kobe only slightly better). If James had some help, his game would definatly pick up.

Also, James was 2nd in MVP voting last year, behind only Nash, and was predicted to with the MVP at the start of the season. He took a step back this past year.

But he took a giant leap forward in the playoffs. James did something in the playoffs that none of those guys were able to do, and that was take his team on his back to the NBA finals. If we are talking about being a leader and winner, well, when it was on the line, James raised his game higher than anyone else.

As for Sidney vs Lebron...

Sid won the MVP and Art Ross. Its arguable if he is the best in the league, but only if we are talking goalies, or maybe defensemen. Sid is the best forward in the NHL. The same cant be said for James. Advantage Crosby.

Lebron lead his team to the Finals, and had one of the most dominating games in recent basketball history. He raised his game to a level that Sidney has not reached. Advantage James.

So if we are talking regular seasons, Crosby wins quite easily. If we are talking playoffs, when games are more important, James wins quite easily. So which is more important? Sucess over the long season, or being able to step up your game when need be?

Anyone who says either is better by a wide margin is just wrong.
Bad post.

Maken* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:36 PM
ELab2

This is very close. I'll say that Sid is a better player in his sport. He's the best player in hockey right now. Lebron isn't the best basketball player right now.

Lebron will be the bigger star though because he's got a great personality and he's a fun and VERY mature guy for his age, Sid has not showed that yet. Even if Lebron was a hockey player this would be the case.

All time who will be better. It's too early to tell right I think Lebron can be as good as Jordan and Sid can be as good as Gretzky. So that would be a draw in my eyes.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:42 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Records for hockey and tennis are different. You can break some records in tennis faster than would be possible in hockey. Also while tennis is an individual sport, hockey most certainly is not. That is why Federer and Woods are compared, both play in individual sports. And, that's why Gretzky and Jordan are compared, they both dominated team sports. It is not right to even try to compare a hockey player with a tennis player.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:42 PM
ScaredStreit

As for the NBA, did someone really put Iverson over Nash? Are you kidding me? One on one sure Iverson is more talented and skilled than Nash. But I'd take Nash any day of the week on my team-and I think almost anyone who knew a decent amount of Basketball would agree with me. I do think Lebron's a top 5 player in the NBA. I'd put him oh 4-5. Crosby was the best-last season. Right now I gotta go Lebron, just because he's been at the top for longer. Whereas Crosby has only been in the top 5 this past season. However Crosby will be much much better in the long run at his respective sport.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:48 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Crosby, but both are amazing. This is a very hard decision.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maken View Post
Bad post.
Um, why?

As a sidenote, its pretty interesting to look at Sidneys stats within his division (16 pts in 8 games vs the Flyers, 17 pts in 7 games vs the Islanders), and also vs the western conference (besides the Kings and Coyotes, he's been downright average vs the west). So how much of his scoring prowess is due to being in the high-scoring east?

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 06:51 PM
cornball918

Lebron James, no doubt is the more known name to casual sports fan or
just people in general.

Sidney has broken records for the youngest scoring player prior to him in
both years. He's won the mvp & peer mvp awards. He, 2nd year, helped get
his 2nd last place team to the post-season.

I can't make an argument for Lebron~don't follow the NBA at all.

I do follow tennis, Roger Federer; don't know that he can be used
as an example...individual sport. Lebron & Sid; they have zero
control about teammates & their play. For Roger, it is about him
and his oppenent. Same with Tiger Woods. Woods is competing against
the golf course and others.

~ wait a few years; you can compare Jon Tavares to Sidney. Maybe.

cornball918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 08:45 PM
ryz

If Sid takes the Pens to the final 4 this year I'd give it to him. Until then Lebron has a notch in his belt that Crosby doesn't have.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 09:06 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz View Post
If Sid takes the Pens to the final 4 this year I'd give it to him. Until then Lebron has a notch in his belt that Crosby doesn't have.
Crosby also has a MVP...

LeBron is arguably one of the best basketball players on earth. Ask die-hard NBA fans, I think you'd get responses of Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Dirk Novitski, Tim Duncan, Dwayne Wade, Gilbert Arenas and of course LeBron. A few of these, like Wade, Arenas, and Duncan, are IMO, homerish.

Crosby is arguably the best hockey player on earth, with Luongo, Thornton, Lidstrom and Brodeur as realistic comparsions, with guys like Ovechkin and Pronger as semi-homerish comparisons, and people like Iginla, IMO, as homerish comparisons.

(wow, I'm on an absolutely crazy "Go Crosby" streak...)

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Garbs

There's nothing 'homerish' about Duncan being considered better than LeBron.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote