Notices

Burke Confernece Call (RE: Penner to the Oilers) - 3 PM Anaheim Time - Live

Old
08-05-2007, 07:45 PM
TheJoeMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino1 View Post
Actually I have a clue about a team that won 5 in 7 years...need a clue? starts with O and ends with an S and they are from Edmonton
So the Oilers of the 80's were the only team that could ever be considered the best at any time? Wow...

I know you are proud of the achievements of your team's past and all but you can invalidate every other champion just because they haven't won as many times. That's absurd, it's why there's a new tournament every season. God I don't why we're arguing about this. We've offically reached that point of the off-season when the clock needs to speed up and training camp needs to start.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Sandman33

The Oilers team of the 80's with Gretzky, Messier, and Fuhr...vs The Ducks from last season!

Oh man would I pay to see that. Wayne getting smeared all over the glass....Messier getting frustrated and losing his cool when he cant get the puck past our blue line.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman33 View Post
The Oilers team of the 80's with Gretzky, Messier, and Fuhr...vs The Ducks from last season!

Oh man would I pay to see that. Wayne getting smeared all over the glass....Messier getting frustrated and losing his cool when he cant get the puck past our blue line.
Oh come on...

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
Oh come on...
Hockey was not the same then. It has become much more difficult and more defensively active.

I really dont think they would have a chance.

Old
08-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
I wonder where Edmonton fans get this illusion they are going to be solid next season. The only player who scored over 20 goals last year for them is the player they just got from us.

Top 10 pick here we come!
I think they're refering to the probability they just handed Anahiem a lottery pick as solid.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Quote:
Actually I have a clue about a team that won 5 in 7 years...need a clue? starts with O and ends with an S and they are from Edmonton
My lifetime, I think I said. Yes the Oil did do it, but as was said over 20 years ago.

Still your logic, if that is what you call it, doesn't work. Just admit the Ducks WERE the best team last year, and we'll be done.

Otherwise go back to your room and stare at your Gretzky poster and dream of better (old) times.

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 08:55 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Hockey was not the same then. It has become much more difficult and more defensively active.

I really dont think they would have a chance.
It's all relative, and the era differences makes it a pointless debate. Relative to their era, the 80's Oilers are better than the Ducks.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
It's all relative, and the era differences makes it a pointless debate. Relative to their era, the 80's Oilers are better than the Ducks.

In their era I will agree, but its still debateable. The Ducks were awesome all around last year.

And my only point was if you could put that exact same team up against last years Ducks it would be murder.

Old
08-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
[/I]

1) Actually The Ducks were not the best team last year, Buffalo and Detroit were the best teams in points with Nashville and Anahiem tied for third, And for most goals Anahiem were 9th with Detroit having only 2 less goals.

2) Actually do you realize that Penner has 17 playoff points to Bertuzzis 21 and Bertuzzi was signed as insurance for Selanne NOT Penner as per Burke.
It's not like the Ducks really took big chance as Selanne had being a Duck before and they knew what to expect from him after 333 regular season games.

3) He may not be whining per se but he does come across as a bit of a blowhard and a fool

Lastly Penners agent may have said something along what you say (who knows) but I don't think it had as much to do with Penner leaving as you make it out to be. and I don't know where you get your info from in regards to Burke not matching regardless of Bertuzzi but hey if he wants to rewrite history so be it but heres a quote from the LA Times July 4 2007.... GM Brian Burke says that he will match any offer for restricted free agent Dustin Penner.
The 24-year-old scored 29 goals last season and is a huge part of the Ducks second line along with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. Penner is a solid fantasy player and should be rated slightly higher in keeper pools as his best years are still ahead of him.Source: Los Angeles Times

Kinda puts dumbest post in a whole new category doesn't it?
1.) How are the Ducks not the best team? That's a dumb comment, really dumb actually. The beauty of the playoffs in hockey is the best team will win. For example, often in football people say "That was a fluke game." The best thing about a seven game series is the best team will advance. So if you're reasoning of who is the best team is regular season. Do injuries not count? Does strength of schedule not mater. The Ducks were among the top teams the whole year, won the cup, what else do you want??? Ducks were the best period. And by the way I was not referring to the regular season.

2). That's BS. Anytime you take a chance with a player who has had bad knee problems, it's a big risk. Yeah he had great years for us, in the late 90's. So yeah it was a big risk, and no one expected much from him.

3.) Burke is taken that way, because he one of the only gms who tells it how it is. He doesn't hold anything back, something that is great for hockey. And honestly, is what he said not true? Lowe is doing something desperate to keep his job. If people don't like hearing his opinion, then maybe people should quit asking him.

Hm.. my source was an interview video of Brian Burke.... So, yeah I'm pretty sure that's accurate. Yes I know Burke made that comment about matching anything, but when he was asked about that comment, Burke said he didn't think anyone would make such a stupid offer. I mean does anyone expect a gm to make such dumb offer? Can't blame Burke there. Honestly, wouldn't you say the same thing too? If you know someone has been making bogus contracts RFA's, wouldn't it me smart to say that to try and keep people from going after yours?

I guess my opinion remains the same, one of the dumbest posts I read in a while..nice try though.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 12:40 AM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
In their era I will agree, but its still debateable. The Ducks were awesome all around last year.

And my only point was if you could put that exact same team up against last years Ducks it would be murder.
As much as I love the Ducks, they are no match to the 80s Oilers team.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 02:29 AM
ktulu98

I wouldn't say we wouldn't have chance agaist them

2 different teams, 2 different styles of hockey, players are bigger more defensively oriented
we got GOD line, they havent, we got jiggy the dont

hard to say,one can argue we would lose by 10, or win by 10

but you can't say they are better nore ducks are until we would see a match

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:08 AM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98 View Post
I wouldn't say we wouldn't have chance agaist them

2 different teams, 2 different styles of hockey, players are bigger more defensively oriented
we got GOD line, they havent, we got jiggy the dont

hard to say,one can argue we would lose by 10, or win by 10

but you can't say they are better nore ducks are until we would see a match
Our skaters are using composite sticks, modern goaltending equipment, and skating in bauer XXXs... Not to mention the training and health regiments. Really you can't compare teams from different eras fairly. Plus, I don't want Gretzky making the Ducks look stupid!

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:39 AM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71 View Post
Our skaters are using composite sticks, modern goaltending equipment, and skating in bauer XXXs... Not to mention the training and health regiments. Really you can't compare teams from different eras fairly. Plus, I don't want Gretzky making the Ducks look stupid!
But what IF they had the modern equipment we have in today's game, I am pretty sure they'd be able to do some serious damage.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
He did plenty of that anyway.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Fielddog

Quote:

And watch the Oil win the series 4-0 with the undisciplined Ducks in the box all series. Gretz might be "smeared all over the glass" but he would have a PP field day with the Ducks.

Fielddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielddog View Post
And watch the Oil win the series 4-0 with the undisciplined Ducks in the box all series. Gretz might be "smeared all over the glass" but he would have a PP field day with the Ducks.
BAH, Pronger'd elbow him in the head.

Really though. Give them all current equipment and it wouldnt matter. The teams and players today are MUCH better and larger than before.

Old
08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Alcoolique*

Hi, Devil fan here..(Oh and Between..I'm defending Lowe.)

Ok..So i read from the others boards , lot of comments about Lowe offering offer sheets to Penner and Vanek..They think he's desesperate/Killing hockey..He won't make nay friends at all ect..

So this is my view about it..(Here it starts.)

Craché dans l'air..

So for those who may say: Kevin Lowe was desesperate for offering such huge contracts to Vanek and Penner, Well there was a problem, For why he did that.
The problem was none Free Agents wanted go to Edmonton unless they overpay , because of the Taxes, they're not Stanley Cup contenders, the Winters,The pressure of the fans, The media ect..So, Lowe had to find an other way to get players that'll help his team, and that way was the Restricted free agents, Which actually he can tries to Offer sheet to those players, because he has ton of prospects in their farm, and next year he has the Draft pick of Anaheim(Because Anaheim went to the Stanley cup) So in terms, they only paid a 2nd and a 3rd round pick for Penner, Of course they overpaid for him, but what do you expect??If Lowe offered Penner 2millions, of course he would have declined, Since Lowe would have to Overpaid him to get here in Edmonton, and I found it ok.And same goes for Vanek..The guy will be a star in the next years to come, Some people will say he overpaid, But look, The guy has a Great talent/Potential, He's coming from a 40goals Season..Would you rather pay Vanek 7millions or..Pay Scott Gomez 7millions?

Thats the case.

And for those who says he Ruins hockey..
As far as I know, How he ruins Hockey??Its within the rules,and he may increases the value of other players like Vanek/Penner, but unless , they can't bring up the fact in their contracts negociations, that Vanek and Penner got lot of millions, and compare it to their contract, since Vanek got grossly overpaid and same goes to Penner, to come to Edmonton, And they weren't on the Restricted Free Agent maket...Parise said in an article of the New York post this:

It's tough to say [Buffalo's] Thomas Vanek got $50 million, so where's my $50 million?" Parise said, referring to one of the Edmonton Group 2 offers that went after strapped teams.

Also, Burke said that Lowe highed up the prices of other players who has the same talent as Penner/Vanek."Well, did the Signings of Timmonen and Hartnell helped the Free Agent market??Same goes for Drury and Gomez,

Lets get back about 'An act of desesperation..'

.As far as I know..Isn't the goal to win the Stanley cup in this league?And what Lowe did, Will surely help the Oilers chances to get near the Cup in 2-3years ...I'd like to point out Lowe did everything he has in his power to get his team better, Which we'll all agree is a correct thing for the Fans and the team, It gives a message for the Players that Lowe really wants to get the team better.

And what would you say if the Kings has to trade up Cammalleri because he demands too much? First of all, the Other teams in Kings divison and the Western conference surely help them , since the Kings will maybe loose Cammalleri, Not only that, But your team or mine could have a chance to get him, ...

Oh and Burke..Isn't kind of a desesperate move to sells the National Hockey league when you post your diary in the magazine ' Hockey News' And you make fun of some Generals managers??? Or isn't kind of a desesperate move by a General manager to offer up 7millions to a guy like Gomez??? or Drury?? Or giving 6.3millions to Timmonen sure helped a lot the Free Agent market??Oh damn right...

See, we aren't used to see Players getting offer sheets, but in the future, we'll see more and more of them to guys like...Malkin,Getzlaf,Perry,Staal ect..

Also.. I'm sick and tired of hearing Burke whining because Lowe offered Penner an offer sheet..He has an huge ego, and he can't take it that he could not Signed Penner before..Plus, he lost one good young scoring Power Forward, who he could be in the next years, A bargain for his contract.

LONG, Tres long article mes amis.

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLau View Post
I dunno, it would be a really good matchup. Two of the greatest forwards of all time going up against two of the greatest defencemen.

Honestly with the way defense has come along, I'd put my money on the Ducks, but that pretty much goes for any team with a 20 year advantage in conditioning, strategy, and technique.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 06:44 PM
MOENing

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
I dunno, it would be a really good matchup. Two of the greatest forwards of all time going up against two of the greatest defencemen.

Honestly with the way defense has come along, I'd put my money on the Ducks, but that pretty much goes for any team with a 20 year advantage in conditioning, strategy, and technique.
well do the goalies have to wear the same gear

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post

80's Gretzky > 2007 Ducks.

It's not like Ottawa's top line of Alfredsson/Heatley/Spezza. No offense to them, but any line he was on back then would make that line (the best last season) look like chumps.

Pahlsson would defend against Gretzky for a while until he gets his lunch fed to him by McSorely or whoever.

It would be ugly i think.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
80's Gretzky > 2007 Ducks.

It's not like Ottawa's top line of Alfredsson/Heatley/Spezza. No offense to them, but any line he was on back then would make that line (the best last season) look like chumps.

Pahlsson would defend against Gretzky for a while until he gets his lunch fed to him by McSorely or whoever.

It would be ugly i think.
Hmm, not sure how Pahlsson would get his lunch fed to him. Pahlsson wouldn't fight, and there's an instigator rule that would prevent things from getting out of hand.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLau View Post
true, but in the era of the salray cap, last years team could be one of the best ever.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote