HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Giants or Jets?

Old
08-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Lundqvist102

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
More Giants fans, by a good bit I'd say.
More Rangers fans, by a good bit I'd say.
More Yankees fans, though the gap is closing a bit.

I'm a Jets, Mets and Rangers fan. Odd that I'm a Rags fan, I know.
Same here!! Haha yeah it is a bit weird but it's nice to see all 3 franchises flourishing

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 03:18 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
jets, rangers,yankees.
I'm about the same, only for me it's more like:

Rangers ----------------------------------------> Yankees ------> Jets

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 04:50 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Giants baby!!! ;o)

I can tell you this, The Giants are better supported than the Jets in Wales, UK!!!

if only because of me! cant wait for the London game! Eli is going rain down on the Finns!!!

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 05:20 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Steelers.....beyotch

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 09:10 AM
NYRBlaznBure9

Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
jets, rangers,yankees.
There is no other way..

NYRBlaznBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 09:20 AM
elYankee

J-E-T-S baby. But I've gotta say, I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like this is the least of the rivalries. I hate the Isles and used to hate the Mets when I lived in the City (now I after living around red sox fans for so long the best i can show a mets fan is a bid of mild disdain), but I actually like the Jints. I'll root for them when they're not playing the Jets, not go out of my way, but if a Giants game is on i'll pull for them a little. Also I'll pull for the Nets if i'm forced into watching the NBA.

But correct me if I'm wrong I always got the sense that there was a sort of divide

Giants-Yanks-Rangers-Knicks

Mets-Jets-Isles/Devs-Nets

not written in stone but things tended to go that way.

elYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 09:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Rangers, Mets and Giants for me.

08-07-2007, 10:00 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Rangers, Mets and Giants for me.
Same here...and, I'll admit I keep an eye on the Knicks, though nowhere near the level of the other three.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 10:42 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
There a lot more Giants fans, but like someone said, there seem to be a lot of older fans. But don't worry, once these geezers give up their season tickets and head down to Florida Giants stadium will be loud again. It really is frustrating with these old geezers in Giants Stadium. It doesn't feel like there is a homefield advantage. And as soon as we start losing people just turn on them and make it worse. It's been getting louder in recent years, futher proving my theory that it's the old people who hug the season tickets from young enthusiastic fans like myself.

I am also a Yankee fans, and there are MORE Yankee fans and there is NO closing gap. Just a bunch of frontrunner fans that move back and forth between the teams. And there are more Ranger fans than Devil and Isles fans put together.

But mainly the reason for these teams having more fans than the others is because they have been around for a LOT longer than these newer teams, so eventually maybe the Jets will catch up to the Giants and Mets to Yankees. But I doubt it. The Jets can't win a superbowl, let alone get to one. The one thing in the Jets favor is they will no longer be second rate tenants at Giants stadium when the Jets and Giants finish their new stadium. And the Mets will never win 26 championships in their history, let alone catch the Yanks who will probably have 50 by the time they do. The Isles and Devils will be lucky not to move or be contracted in the next 20 years. The Isles, especially.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You're certainly right. My response was speaking specifically to New York and the northeast in general, not the world. In New York, the Mets are gaining popularity, which is indisputable.

true, but it isn't that close. i mean i would assume you would include the fair weathers, and there are tons more for yankees on that. my guess is something like

60/65-40/35

and usually it is

giants, yankees, rangers
jets, mets, islanders

when i watch i am jets, yankees and rangers

but really i barely watch football or baseball anymore. just don't set aside time to watch....but the rangers, i didn't miss a single game this year even when on the road for work. i would listen through nhl.com

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 10:46 AM
blue2noise

Steelers...

Recognize

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 10:48 AM
MidnightRanger

The people who are Mets fans are the long suffering, the natives of queens, Brooklyn and Long Island, and the front runners. And mostly the old fans of the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers who hated the Yankees. The problem is the Yankees won so much even when the Giants and Dodgers were around that they were a ton more popular and drew more interest because well lets face it, I bet there have been millions of new Patriot fans in the last 5 years. People are front runners.

Old
08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
alkurtz

Mets, Giants, and Rangers

Mets because my baseball memories go back to 1954 and my Dad was a Giants fan and brought me up that way. I grew up in the Bronx, within walking distance of Yankee Stadium, but only went there to boo the Yankees. Switched from Giants to Mets partly in 62, totally by 1963.
There are a lot of fair weather fans in NY: in the mid 80s, polls showed the Mets to be more popular than the Yanks. Still, I agree, the Yank base is larger than the Met base, especially here in the northern suburbs where I live. As both teams are committed to long term success, I don't see it changing much. But hey, the Yanks will likely draw 4+ million this year and the Mets about 3.8+ million, both amazing figures. NY is the baseball capitol of the world.

Rangers and Giants: they were the only teams in their sports when I became a fan.

As I said in an earlier post, I root for the Jets when they're not playing the Giants. Tried to outgrow my hatred of the Yanks (my wife is a Yankee fan) but was unable too. The boys (2 sons) in my family are Mets fans, the girls (1 daughter) are Yankee fans.

Never hated the Isles (though I love beating them) and have always had a grudging admiration for their Stanley Cup teams. Have no patience for the Devs.

Knicks and Nets? Who cares.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 11:58 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Go Bills!!

08-07-2007, 12:54 PM
bender13

Giants

This body only bleeds blue

bender13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Renney=Savior*

Jets Rangers Redsox (Till Minaya is fired then back to Mets)

Renney=Savior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:56 PM
ArtieAnisimov

Rangers-Yankees-Jets

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Growing up in Bklyn during the 80's was hell when it came to sports being a Rangers, Jets, Yanks fan. The NY rival teams all were alot better and won championships. I always thought the Giants had more fans in NY but maybe because they were winning.

Ken O'brien, Freeman McNeil, Al Toon, and Wesley Walker made me a Jets fan

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Renney=Savior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Growing up in Bklyn during the 80's was hell when it came to sports being a Rangers, Jets, Yanks fan. The NY rival teams all were alot better and won championships. I always thought the Giants had more fans in NY but maybe because they were winning.

Ken O'brien, Freeman McNeil, Al Toon, and Wesley Walker made me a Jets fan
I don't go back as far as you but Testaverede and Cherbet made me a Jets fan. As far as more fans Giants are a original NFL franchise that could be part of it to. Still **** team and **** QB.

Renney=Savior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Fletch

Neither...

Raiders...

I do tend to root for both NY teams - moreso the Giants when the Jets may spoil a Raiders wild card birth - something they haven't had to worry about in several years, however.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 03:39 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

A weird thing i have noticed with the Jets/Giants is that i have not seen a pure hetred for each other. Say like we Devils/Rangers/Islanders/and Flyers fans have with each other. The only reason i can think of is that they are in different divisions, and rarely play each other.(preseason)
I am A Giant Fan and will route for the Jets. They have been terrible for a long while and it is like the Loveable loser role that makes me route for them to change their Tide. That said, you can actuall g et a ticket to a jet game.

It is Similar with the Yankees/Mets. As a Mets Fan, I am not a fan of the yanks, but i do not have a huge hatered for them. I can still watch their game and enjoy it. just pisses me off seeing people were the yanks logo as a fashion thing and have no clue about the team.

Not sure if this is how many of you Jet/Yanks fans are. But I think being that they rarely play easch other, it makes a difference in how you feel against one another.
oh yeah, I grew up in North Jersey.

Maybe i am wrong though, just my thought.

JRZ DVLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 04:23 PM
MidnightRanger

I don't hate the Jets mainly because I love Football SOOOOOOO much and even though I'm a Giant fan I can still watch the Jets. But when they play the G-men they all of a sudden turn into the Eagles which is like turning into ********* on your shoe. But then they go back to normal. Most Jet fans I know do get on my nerves though.

P.S.

When I was a wee one in the 80's, even then I knew that Freeman McNeil was a HELL OF A BACK.

Old
08-07-2007, 04:30 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

These combinations are intruiging, because I have always wondered who in New York likes who.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 04:39 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
There a lot more Giants fans, but like someone said, there seem to be a lot of older fans. But don't worry, once these geezers give up their season tickets and head down to Florida Giants stadium will be loud again. It really is frustrating with these old geezers in Giants Stadium. It doesn't feel like there is a homefield advantage. And as soon as we start losing people just turn on them and make it worse. It's been getting louder in recent years, futher proving my theory that it's the old people who hug the season tickets from young enthusiastic fans like myself.

I am also a Yankee fans, and there are MORE Yankee fans and there is NO closing gap. Just a bunch of frontrunner fans that move back and forth between the teams. And there are more Ranger fans than Devil and Isles fans put together.

But mainly the reason for these teams having more fans than the others is because they have been around for a LOT longer than these newer teams, so eventually maybe the Jets will catch up to the Giants and Mets to Yankees. But I doubt it. The Jets can't win a superbowl, let alone get to one. The one thing in the Jets favor is they will no longer be second rate tenants at Giants stadium when the Jets and Giants finish their new stadium. And the Mets will never win 26 championships in their history, let alone catch the Yanks who will probably have 50 by the time they do. The Isles and Devils will be lucky not to move or be contracted in the next 20 years. The Isles, especially.
Dumb. Considering the Devils have a new arena, and the Isles... well... ehh.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 04:44 PM
GarretJoseph*

Giants! Mets! Rangers! Man United! Ireland!

wooooooo

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote