HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders need scoring center & Defenseman

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-07-2007, 12:23 PM
  #126
rayearth
Registered User
 
rayearth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 500
Nice breakdown and I agree pretty much 100%. Also, although it's not really saying much, didn't Hatcher win best Flyers defenceman last year?

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 12:32 PM
  #127
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richichi View Post
Islanders will be lucky to finish top 12 in the east..... flyers on the other hand...
That's what everyone said last year, remember?

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 12:33 PM
  #128
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
yeah you never know when Chris Simon is going to throw another cheapshot.
Flyers fans talking about cheap shots? Hahahahahaha

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
  #129
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,388
vCash: 500
I think Jester hit our dmen pretty well. I'll just add to it a little. First, I really hope that Smith still has enough in the tank to play on the top pairing with Timonen otherwise we may be in trouble. Hatcher and Gauthier are the only other experienced dmen we have and there's no way either of them can play there. We'd most likely be looking at throwing Coburn to the wolves and give him a "trial by fire" baptism to top pairing. If he CAN'T handle the responsibilities, Kukkonen would be next and though I believe he's solid defensively, 1st pairing is most likely our of his realm. The reason I'm slightly soncerned reagrding Smith is that many of the Edm fns who came here after the trade said we'd love the guy here but that he had a bit of a rough year last year being bumped up to 1st pairing duties. THEY said he's most likely only a 2nd pairing guy especially now that he's getting a bit long in the tooth. This goes down as my first concern.

Assuming Smith works out on the 1st pairing, I think we are sitting pretty with the next 4. I think they split up the 2 remaining vets and the 2 remaining young guys. Hatcher is better defensively than Gauthier but less mobile. Kukkonen is better than Coburn defensively but not as good offensively. I think they will pair Hacther with Coburn and Gauthier with Kukkonen and play them all about 18 mins. Hatcher and Coburn to play with Carter and crew (giving them at least a little offensive support) and Gauthier and Kukkonen with Richards (or maybe the top forwards unit) to go against the other teams #2 offensive unit. At some point it might be really nice to work Coburn and Kukkonen in as our true 2nd pairing but a 3rd of Hatcher & Gauthier would be brutal.

Moving Gauthier would be ideal. He CAN play 2nd pairing with the right partner (a mobile guy who reads plays well and can move the puck). Denis CAN play responsible in his own zone as was evident when he came back last year. He didn't (or maybe COULDN'T) run all over the place and lay the smack down on guys and just played more responsible/better positional hockey. Maybe it's taking away from his most effective aspect of his game (the hitting) but he CAN play at least decently well when he's NOT looking just to run guys.

Hatcher worked VERY well with Picard last year and if Gauthier IS moved, this is whom I'd like to see him paired with again. That would put Hatcher and Picard as our 3rd pairing and Coburn and Kukkonen as our 2nd. Our 3rd pairing would probably be the best 3rd pairing in the league. We'd have to hope like heck that Coburn and Kukkonen would be up to the task of 2nd pairing responsibilites without having a vet right there beside them to help guild them. THAT may be asking too much from them.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
  #130
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Flyers fans talking about cheap shots? Hahahahahaha
An Islander pulled off one of the worst i've seen in the last 10 years... so I wouldn't laugh too hard.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:11 PM
  #131
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
An Islander pulled off one of the worst i've seen in the last 10 years... so I wouldn't laugh too hard.
That's why there is only one of these

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
  #132
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Flyers fans talking about cheap shots? Hahahahahaha
Laugh all you want but it was a very valid statement. This wasn't Siomon's first incident of a cheap shot.

Yes this may be a case of the pot (us) calling the kettle (you) black but the kettle is STILL black.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
  #133
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I think Jester hit our dmen pretty well. I'll just add to it a little. First, I really hope that Smith still has enough in the tank to play on the top pairing with Timonen otherwise we may be in trouble. Hatcher and Gauthier are the only other experienced dmen we have and there's no way either of them can play there. We'd most likely be looking at throwing Coburn to the wolves and give him a "trial by fire" baptism to top pairing. If he CAN'T handle the responsibilities, Kukkonen would be next and though I believe he's solid defensively, 1st pairing is most likely our of his realm. The reason I'm slightly soncerned reagrding Smith is that many of the Edm fns who came here after the trade said we'd love the guy here but that he had a bit of a rough year last year being bumped up to 1st pairing duties. THEY said he's most likely only a 2nd pairing guy especially now that he's getting a bit long in the tooth. This goes down as my first concern.
At 26, Kukkonen is perfectly experienced. I'm not sure he's a top pairing guy, but in the event Smith can't go with Timonen, I think Kukkonen wouldn't be out of place at all in a defensive role next to Timonen.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:15 PM
  #134
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Laugh all you want but it was a very valid statement. This wasn't Siomon's first incident of a cheap shot.

Yes this may be a case of the pot (us) calling the kettle (you) black but the kettle is STILL black.
It is a valid statement. I know of Simon's past as well. He deserves all the ridicule he gets.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 06:03 PM
  #135
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,606
vCash: 500
We're forgetting the wild card to make the starting 6 on defense, Ryan Parent. He could flat out jump ahead of both Picard and Gauthier on the depth chart. Management said during the offseason he'll geta legit chance to make the club this year

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 06:04 PM
  #136
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
We're forgetting the wild card to make the starting 6 on defense, Ryan Parent. He could flat out jump ahead of both Picard and Gauthier on the depth chart. Management said during the offseason he'll geta legit chance to make the club this year
I could definitely see it happening. I've seen him as NHL ready for the last two seasons.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 06:14 PM
  #137
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
We're forgetting the wild card to make the starting 6 on defense, Ryan Parent. He could flat out jump ahead of both Picard and Gauthier on the depth chart. Management said during the offseason he'll geta legit chance to make the club this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I could definitely see it happening. I've seen him as NHL ready for the last two seasons.
the ONLY reason i would want Picard over Parent is that we need someone else who can play the PP... and Parent barely scored in the OHL, so he's almost definitely not going to fill that role at this level.

the guy in Parent's spot, in my mind anyway, is Hatcher...

this being said, if they're not concerned by the lack of two-way guys on the team, then Parent has just as good a chance as anyone.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 07:18 PM
  #138
flyersfan97
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,408
vCash: 500
It's gonna snow, Jester, I 100% agree with your assessment of our d-men. Great post

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 07:55 PM
  #139
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
the ONLY reason i would want Picard over Parent is that we need someone else who can play the PP... and Parent barely scored in the OHL, so he's almost definitely not going to fill that role at this level.

the guy in Parent's spot, in my mind anyway, is Hatcher...

this being said, if they're not concerned by the lack of two-way guys on the team, then Parent has just as good a chance as anyone.
I think trading Pitkanen pretty much shows us where they rank the importance of offense from the back end.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 08:00 PM
  #140
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I think trading Pitkanen pretty much shows us where they rank the importance of offense from the back end.
there's more to that trade happening than his play...

i'm hoping they treat Parent as a long-term call-up when someone goes down and that he gets some games this year, but i think Picard would make more sense to carry on this roster full-time if they move Gauthier.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.