HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers should 150% target Marian Hossa in 08

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2007, 01:37 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
I don't understand some of you. I wouldn't be comofortable entering a hockey season with my two biggest offensive weapons being gomez and drury.......jags isn't gonna live forever.
Lies

Old
08-08-2007, 01:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakfan View Post
i don't think marian is good fit for rangers. oh..
he is good fit in any team but... he is not one of the BEST fit for rangers and vice versa...
Mmmm kay. Methinks someone with the handle "slovakfan" might have a hard time being objective here. I'm done.

08-08-2007, 01:38 PM
TheHotRock

also, going to war with a team and goign to war with a team you KNOW can win a cup are two completely different things. and yes, hossa is not Jagr, but he's a superstar caliber player, and he's better 2 ways than Jagr and would be a more than suitable replacement.

also to th guys who would rather have Heatley, I'm 100% with ya, I just don't see him leaving the Sens, he and Spezza have a really good thing going, and I feel like he's next in line to wear the C over there....I think an extension gets done before he hits the market.

and to top it all off, If we indeed do get Marian, I'm taking Dominic Moore's name off of my #18 jersey for him.

Old
08-08-2007, 01:40 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
also, going to war with a team and goign to war with a team you KNOW can win a cup are two completely different things. and yes, hossa is not Jagr, but he's a superstar caliber player, and he's better 2 ways than Jagr and would be a more than suitable replacement.

also to th guys who would rather have Heatley, I'm 100% with ya, I just don't see him leaving the Sens, he and Spezza have a really good thing going, and I feel like he's next in line to wear the C over there....I think an extension gets done before he hits the market.

and to top it all off, If we indeed do get Marian, I'm taking Dominic Moore's name off of my #18 jersey for him.
You are aware of something called the salary cap right?

Old
08-08-2007, 01:40 PM
otterulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmunch View Post
well, I know he was reportedly hurt, but he still didnt show up, I mean, I believe his brother outscored him in the series (I could be wrong of course)
No, you're right. But that doesn't mean he doesn't show up for the playoffs. He's been streaky I guess if you look at his playoff stats. I didn't see many of those games but I remember some where he looked amazing and considered him the future of the Sens. Well, then there was last season. You know the rest.

He just seems like a guy who needs the extra motivation to do well. As if one little thing doesn't go his way, he's gonna have a bad performance. This is just based on seeing all of him last season in the first round so it's not much of a sample to base my opinion on.

Old
08-08-2007, 01:42 PM
The New Originals

Quote:
I'd rather replace him by hiring a scientist to create me a 25 year old Gretzky, but some things are not realistic.

cherepanov, dawes, korpikoski, anisimov, pyatt, dubinsky- these guys aren't jagr.

prucha is not a game changer, neither is gomez, neither is drury, or any other forward on our team or in our system.

we're gonna need to sign someone to replace JJ. If you dont like Marian Hossa, be productive and throw a few names out there, don't spew nonsense rhetoric.
Did you even read his post?

Old
08-08-2007, 01:42 PM
BklyNYR4Life

people seem to be forgetting the kind of team philosophy that got this organization into heaps of trouble for....how many years?!?!?!

worry about locking up our core guys and take it from there. I agree that once Jagr is gone this team will be looking for a top tier offensive talent, but I dont see how Hossa is that guy. the greatest thing Jagr has done for this team since being here is shedding the label of being a one way player who doesn't care about the team game. I dont see Hossa being able to do the same thing. Ideally I'd like to see us fill the gap from within, and with the guys who will battle for spots this season, and in the upcoming one I think we're pretty close, but if the team decides to dip into the FA market again for a big gun, I dont think Hossa is the guy.

Old
08-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Just another jersey to add to the collection...

NOT GOING to nor SHOULD it happen..

Old
08-08-2007, 01:51 PM
bagh

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterulz View Post
The cap will only decrease by 23% while player contracts are projected to rise 37%. By then, fan attendance will steadily decrease 1.8% after seeing a healthy 13.583% increase. This will leave Sather only a 78% targeting range for Marian, who is 24.8% older than Marcel.
Um...where did you get those numbers?

Old
08-08-2007, 01:54 PM
jnyr

[QUOTE=SingnBluesOnBroadway;10136436]

But if you can get three guys who are solid offensive players to go along with Gomez and Drury, I'll be very happy to go to war with that team.

Are you talking along the lines of The Sabres from last season? A solid team up and down the line up who, although having significant talent in Briere, Drury, Afinogenov, and Vanek, didn't have a Jagr calibre player, but enough consistency and skill within the roster to perform/compete and more often than not come out on top.

Id' be down with that, although I wouldn't mind seeing Hossa here either. I think the disucssion of bringing him here definitely goes beyond the fact that his brother is here. He's definitely been an offensive threat for a while now, and in Jagr's absence you need players with his skill (not necessarily him exactly, but a comparable player perhaps) I don't see him solely replacing Jagr, but bringing him on board with another solid scorer might be ideal, similar to how Detroit has Zetterbeg and Datsyuk. Now the chances of the Rangers landing Marian Hossa and another high profiled forward (a repaeat of Gomez and Drury) is a longshot as of now.

Also, in regards to people deeming Marian Hossa as a player who chokes in the playoffs, are you referring only to Hossa on this year's Atlanta team or additionally Hossa on Ottawa's 3-4 years of lack luster playoff performance? Because if it's only based on this season I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I could be wrong, but Atlanta seems to lack experience in the playoffs, just like the Ottawa team that had so many early exits in the playoffs before recent years. If you pust Hossa on a team with Drury and Gomez that could be the extra element of well seasoned playoff performance that he's been missing.

Old
08-08-2007, 01:56 PM
OpieAnthony

You guys are crazy. You have Gomez and Drury locked up 7+ each. Then you want Lundqvist and Hossa at 6+?? How would you plan on Locking up Staal, Callahan, Girardi etc. when their contracts are up if they are as good as projected? If Staal is as good as advertised he will be getting at least 5+. You won't have room for him if you have 26+ locked up in 4 players. You would be risking losing all of your young players if they reach their potential.

I think Hossa is the best all around player in the league right now though. I love just watching how hard he hustles to backcheck.

Old
08-08-2007, 01:58 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpieAnthony View Post
You guys are crazy. You have Gomez and Drury locked up 7+ each. Then you want Lundqvist and Hossa at 6+?? How would you plan on Locking up Staal, Callahan, Girardi etc. when their contracts are up if they are as good as projected? If Staal is as good as advertised he will be getting at least 5+. You won't have room for him if you have 26+ locked up in 4 players. You would be risking losing all of your young players if they reach their potential.

I think Hossa is the best all around player in the league right now though. I love just watching how hard he hustles to backcheck.
I think the thread starter forgot about this part

Old
08-08-2007, 02:01 PM
TheHotRock

Staal isn't gonna command top dollar after his rookie contract because he's not gonna put up studly offensive numbers. On top of that, Jagr will be gone when its time for his new deal.

As for Callahan and Girardi, these are not guys hwo are going to get the money aint a thing treatment, either one will be extremely lucky to walk away with 2 mil on their next deal (I think 1.5 sounds about right for either guy).

Hossa on the books won't cripple us financially. write that down.

Old
08-08-2007, 02:06 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
How can you say that when you don't know how much the cap is going up next year?

And do you really think it would be a great idea to spend 28m on 4 players?

Old
TomLaidlaw

I think people are vastly underrated Marian Hossa in this thread. The guy is an elite player in this league and one of the few players who could come close to replacing Jagr (not entirely, but close). However, I think financially we won't be able to do it because we won't want to tie that much money up into 3 players.

In an ideal world I wish we would have re-signed Nylander mid season and only signed Drury in free agency. Then use the 7 mill a year we gave to Gomez to Hossa next year since Hossa is a better player. That is water under the bridge though

Old
rodmunch

Quote:
Staal isn't gonna command top dollar after his rookie contract because he's not gonna put up studly offensive numbers. On top of that, Jagr will be gone when its time for his new deal.

As for Callahan and Girardi, these are not guys hwo are going to get the money aint a thing treatment, either one will be extremely lucky to walk away with 2 mil on their next deal (I think 1.5 sounds about right for either guy).

Maybe not in his first year, but he definately could down the road.

Not only do we have to deal with Staal (who if he is as good as he can be will be worth a large amount at some point), but also Tyutin will want a significant raise, Cherepanov could get big bucks eventually, as maybe Bourret, etc.

If we sign Hossa, we wont have enough cap room to resign important core parts such as the ones mentioned above.

Can we just focus on developing our own homegrown talent and giving them a shot instead of signing someone else to an expensive long-term deal?

Dont get me wrong, I love Hossa, but cap-wise, its a stretch for it to work

Old
08-08-2007, 02:08 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmunch View Post
Maybe not in his first year, but he definately could down the road.

Not only do we have to deal with Staal (who if he is as good as he can be will be worth a large amount at some point), but also Tyutin will want a significant raise, Cherepanov could get big bucks eventually, as maybe Bourret, etc.

If we sign Hossa, we wont have enough cap room to resign important core parts such as the ones mentioned above.

Can we just focus on developing our own homegrown talent and giving them a shot instead of signing someone else to an expensive long-term deal?
Yeah, it would be nice to have some room to breath. These high dollar, long term deals will really start to suffocate the team in 2 or 3 years if the cap doesn't keep going up at a good clip.

Old
08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
OpieAnthony

Quote:

Staal is signed for 3 more years. After 3 full years in the NHL I really doubt he will not be getting at least 5mill. If as good as he is supposed to be.

You guys are also forgetting that Roszival, Mara, Malik(UFA's), Girardi and Tyutin(RFA's) are all free agents after this season. Won't be cheap to replace/re-sign all of those players. Defense isn't cheap.

Lets say you get a defense for about 15 mill, which is on the low side to say the least. You would have at least 41 million locked up now. for defense, 4 forwards and a goalie. You'd still have to sign at least 9 more players. for 9 million as the cap is right now. Let's say it goes up to 55 even. 14 million for 9 players.

And that is only spending 15million on your whole defense.

Old
08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
[QUOTE=jnyr;10136644]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

But if you can get three guys who are solid offensive players to go along with Gomez and Drury, I'll be very happy to go to war with that team.

Are you talking along the lines of The Sabres from last season? A solid team up and down the line up who, although having significant talent in Briere, Drury, Afinogenov, and Vanek, didn't have a Jagr calibre player, but enough consistency and skill within the roster to perform/compete and more often than not come out on top.

Id' be down with that, although I wouldn't mind seeing Hossa here either. I think the disucssion of bringing him here definitely goes beyond the fact that his brother is here. He's definitely been an offensive threat for a while now, and in Jagr's absence you need players with his skill (not necessarily him exactly, but a comparable player perhaps) I don't see him solely replacing Jagr, but bringing him on board with another solid scorer might be ideal, similar to how Detroit has Zetterbeg and Datsyuk. Now the chances of the Rangers landing Marian Hossa and another high profiled forward (a repaeat of Gomez and Drury) is a longshot as of now.

Also, in regards to people deeming Marian Hossa as a player who chokes in the playoffs, are you referring only to Hossa on this year's Atlanta team or additionally Hossa on Ottawa's 3-4 years of lack luster playoff performance? Because if it's only based on this season I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I could be wrong, but Atlanta seems to lack experience in the playoffs, just like the Ottawa team that had so many early exits in the playoffs before recent years. If you pust Hossa on a team with Drury and Gomez that could be the extra element of well seasoned playoff performance that he's been missing.
What I am talking about is a balanced team that can get scoring from all it's lines. Right now, so much of this team's offensive is reliant of Jagr. And why not? He's one of the top three offensive players in the league. How do you find a player to replace that? You can't. I'd rather get two lesser players. I think that you and I are saying the same thing just a little differently.

I hated what I saw from Hossa this past playoffs. And to the point that they lacked playoff experience, they did as a team but not individually. They had guys like Holik, Tkachuk, de Vries, Kozlov and Mellanby. And if I recall correctly, they were the oldest team in the playoffs. I might be mistaken about that. They did run into a buzzsaw of team that played really well. But I don't consider 1 assists in 4 games, which were Hossa's numbers, as showing up for the playoffs.

Old
08-08-2007, 02:13 PM
TheHotRock

another thing you guys are forgetting is that when the time comes to really ante up for our young guys, Drury is gonna be off the books as well.

Old
08-08-2007, 02:14 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
another thing you guys are forgetting is that when the time comes to really ante up for our young guys, Drury is gonna be off the books as well.
How do you know?

He has a five year deal, it could be 3-4 years before our core pieces get thier raises

Old
08-08-2007, 02:16 PM
TheHotRock

Staal has 3 years on a rookie deal, no? I have high hopes for the Kid but I don't see him getting top dollar right after his rookie deal.

Old
08-08-2007, 02:20 PM
OpieAnthony

oh yea, And Hossa will get more than both Gomez and Drury on the open market without a doubt.

Drury's highest total is 69 pts and 37 goals which was last year. Hossa has scored more than 69 pts 4 times already and he is 4 years younger.

Old
08-08-2007, 02:20 PM
otterulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagh View Post
Um...where did you get those numbers?
It was a joke because of the 150% in the title.

Old
08-08-2007, 02:22 PM
OpieAnthony

Quote:
Staal has 3 years on a rookie deal, no? I have high hopes for the Kid but I don't see him getting top dollar right after his rookie deal.
How much do you expect him to get at 24 years old and with 3 years experience?

Closed Thread