HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: Messier not asking for a trade

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2004, 09:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
TSN: Messier not asking for a trade

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=75517

Old
03-08-2004, 10:04 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

vCash: 500
I'm getting this feeling like the whole firesale is a smokescreen.

With half the league hitting free agent status this offseason, Sather drops his payroll to nothing, keeps Jagr, Holik and Messier, and then buys all the rest of the pieces he needs.

Why do I think this? Jagr did an interview saying, he didn't think they would rebuild. That it could be "accelerated". Hmmmm

Old
03-08-2004, 10:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
well yeah. i could see bettman screaming and yelling at sather saying he can't afford for the New York Rangers to rebuild and miss the playoffs with bad teams for a few years...

...oh wait...

Old
03-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
What's he trying to prove here?? Is he not unrestricted at the end of the year? He's not gonna do much with the Rangers in their last 10-14 games. Why not go for another cup and then re-sign in the off-season?, just doesn't make sense to me at all

Old
03-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
What's he trying to prove here?? Is he not unrestricted at the end of the year? He's not gonna do much with the Rangers in their last 10-14 games. Why not go for another cup and then re-sign in the off-season?, just doesn't make sense to me at all
Call me old-fashioned, but I kind of like that Mess wants to stay with the Rangers...Detroit and my Avs had an interest, I read. Even so, Mess with the Rangers is how it should be. I'd be kind of sad if he was dealt after this statement...

Old
03-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
That's pretty sad.

Not a knock at you but rather, I find it sad that we live in an era where many people are now wondering what the **** is going on when a player expresses the desire to stay put with a team.

When in fact it used to be that way in the past. Players felt something for the city/jersey they were playing for.

That's what hockey is all about. You're supposed to fight through this crap, you're not supposed to bolt the minute the going gets tough.

My only hope was for Messier to remain a Ranger or join the Oilers (I gave up on that idea when Nedved was traded). I hope he stays. He's been at the heart of this team that has failed to accomplish something. I expect guys to answer the call when it works but I also want them to answer the call when it doesn't.

What is it exactly about that attitude, that doesn't make sense to you?

Old
03-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Owen Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
That's pretty sad.

Not a knock at you but rather, I find it sad that we live in an era where many people are now wondering what the **** is going on when a player expresses the desire to stay put with a team.

When in fact it used to be that way in the past. Players felt something for the city/jersey they were playing for.

That's what hockey is all about. You're supposed to fight through this crap, you're not supposed to bolt the minute the going gets tough.

My only hope was for Messier to remain a Ranger or join the Oilers (I gave up on that idea when Nedved was traded). I hope he stays. He's been at the heart of this team that has failed to accomplish something. I expect guys to answer the call when it works but I also want them to answer the call when it doesn't.

Man, I just think its sad that he's clinging to old memories. He's a proven leader and one of the best players to ever play the game, why stick it out with a team that is going downhill. If Ranger fans were classy they'd understand his willingness to compete for another Cup, not waste away with the Rangers.

Old
03-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Owen Wilson

Does he realize that he'd help the Rangers more by being traded and getting something for him?

Old
03-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Playmaker

Quote:
Man, I just think its sad that he's clinging to old memories. He's a proven leader and one of the best players to ever play the game, why stick it out with a team that is going downhill. If Ranger fans were classy they'd understand his willingness to compete for another Cup, not waste away with the Rangers.
Or, maybe the Ranger fans will applaud the fact that this guy is classy?
Mess is a class act all the way. He's one of the few positives I have about this Rangers team (the other one being Greg DeVries).

If Messier wanted to be dealt, I'm sure Ranger fans wouldn't mind giving their long-time hero and captain a shot at a last cup-run. If he doesn't, he should be applauded for sticking with the team.

Old
03-08-2004, 11:56 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Right now...

Messier is the LAST remnant of 1994. Until he leaves, there is still no true break from the past. While all ranger fans appreciate him what he brought this franchise, most of us realize that it is time for him to go. My guess is that this does signal the end, and he will retire. I guess I would have liked getting a draft choice for him, along with the idea that he'd get one last shot at PO hockey. As for the poster who said the firesale is a smoke screen, what about trading Brian Leetch makes this a smokescreen?

Old
03-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
For more than this year, Messier has been the poster-boy (old man?) for what is wrong with the Rangers. Overpaid, over the hill, uncoachable veterans who suck ice time away from those who are probably more deserving of a shot, who never get benched for their mistakes (while the kids are benched immediately for theirs) and who act like they are above the team.

Whereas Leetch represented everything that was right with the Rangers. Still very skilled, quiet and undemanding, gives his all for the team every night without taking a night off, willing to do whatever the coach asks, play with whomever he says and however he says, for the good of the team.

Brian Leetch being traded against his will is a tragedy. The man should have retired a Ranger, and would have if Sather had done this when he SHOULD have, four years ago. If Mark Messier is not traded against his will NOW, after Leetch was, being much less deserving than he, it would be a travesty of monumental proportions. Sather should finish what he started. Otherwise, what collosal waste

-Brian

Old
03-08-2004, 11:58 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

As a fan I do feel a bit jipped that both Messier and Gretzky will spend their last seasons on a non-playoff Rangers team.

Old
03-08-2004, 11:58 AM
blurbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
That's pretty sad.

It's one thing saying you'd like to stay with a team, and a completely different issue by him saying that he most likely wouldn't report if he got traded...

Did he feel something for the city when he decided to go play with Vancouver?

Old
03-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Messier know his career is almost over because of his age!

another team wont be as inclined to keep a old fart like him on the ice!

Old
03-09-2004, 07:41 AM
NJ_Devil_Boy

He should and I'm surprised Holik hasn't either.

Old
03-09-2004, 08:15 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I have no problem with him not asking for a trade. I do have a problem with him saying he won't go if he is traded.

03-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan
For more than this year, Messier has been the poster-boy (old man?) for what is wrong with the Rangers. Overpaid, over the hill, uncoachable veterans who suck ice time away from those who are probably more deserving of a shot, who never get benched for their mistakes (while the kids are benched immediately for theirs) and who act like they are above the team.

-Brian
What Rangers team were you watching this year?

Who was Messier taking icetime away from who deserved it? Petr Nedved? Eric Lindros? Alex Kovalev?

Messier has played on the 3rd or 4th line all season, and has played DAMN well. He's right around even +/- wise, and has on pace for 20g & 25a playing with Jed Ortmeyer & Dan Lacoutre. Is he the dominating player from his prime? Hell no, but he's been one (arguably THE) best 3rd line players this year.

I hope that Mess retires in the off-season, because there's nothing left to prove. He has stayed too long, but I can't help remember what a warrior he was in his prime. He might of overstayed his welcome in the NHL, but IMO that is due to his ability to play at a very high level as he aged, when players who played his style historically haven't been able to do.

Closed Thread