HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Planning a trip to NYC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-02-2007, 07:04 PM
  #26
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
I live near King of Prussia in Pennsylvania. I like to drive to NJ and take the train up. Usually Trenton train station. NJ Transit train tickets are fairly cheap. Takes about 1:15 minutes to get to NY City and you exit right in Penn Station. If I were to go to a Rangers game, I would always do that. Much nicer than dealing with all the traffic and expensive parking.
Trenton is a bit further out tho no?? I would imagine they could get a little closer and then take the train in. From Newark I believe its only 20-30 minutes to Penn Station, could be less. The only thing is, finding parking in Newark might be a b****

NYR89...How bout not driving at all and just taking Amtrak?? That's how I usually commute back and forth to Lancaster, PA to visit Family in York and back. Takes you right to Penn Station, no worries with traffic and its about a 3-3 and a half hour train ride. I don't think Hershey is that far off no?

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:01 PM
  #27
NYR89
Registered User
 
NYR89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,835
vCash: 500
yea the amtrak station is about 20 minutes or so from us...that was our other option...it's 69$ one way i believe into penn station...i think we're gonna try driving into NJ and taking the train over..

thanks for all the help!
LETS GO RANGERS!!

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 08:58 AM
  #28
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Old thread, but tons of NYC info and ideas here: ---> http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=269418

Revive at will.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:28 AM
  #29
Jovofan
Registered User
 
Jovofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
Thanks a bunch you guys, you've been so insanely helpful and I really appreciate it! By the oddest of coincidences, I actually met a girl at a wedding last night who's from NYC and we really hit it off, got her email before I left. Now I may actually have another reason to travel to NYC besides the fact that I've always wanted to go.

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:53 AM
  #30
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Thanks a bunch you guys, you've been so insanely helpful and I really appreciate it! By the oddest of coincidences, I actually met a girl at a wedding last night who's from NYC and we really hit it off, got her email before I left. Now I may actually have another reason to travel to NYC besides the fact that I've always wanted to go.
did you smash

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
  #31
Jovofan
Registered User
 
Jovofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
LOL! No, I didn't.

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 02:17 PM
  #32
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****
 
JRZ DVLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
Country: United States
Posts: 4,311
vCash: 500
Forget the Touristy B.S.
I have done too many tours through NYC for family and friends from out of state, and if I were to show someone where I would want to go, I would say do some museums in the afternoon, Then Go to the Village and have some Fun.
Times Square, Rock, 5th ave, central park.......Argh!!!!!!! well the Park is cool!
Always took the Path in from Hoboken. Also a nice night-spot for young professionals

JRZ DVLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 03:20 PM
  #33
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Forget the Touristy B.S.
I have done too many tours through NYC for family and friends from out of state, and if I were to show someone where I would want to go, I would say do some museums in the afternoon, Then Go to the Village and have some Fun.
Times Square, Rock, 5th ave, central park.......Argh!!!!!!! well the Park is cool!
Always took the Path in from Hoboken. Also a nice night-spot for young professionals
Agreed. You don't wanna do much of that touristy **** at all. The Park is great, and 5th ave only if you wanna blow a lot of $$$ on high end merchandise. Museums great too. Forget Times Square unless you wanna feel like you're in ancient Babylon or a modern day Roman empire.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
  #34
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom
 
nyrcallahan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Hey guys. I may be coming to NYC sometime in '08 and thought I would ask a few questions hoping that you can help me out with my plans and such. I know pretty much nothing about New York, not sure the layout of the city etc. I've been checking airline prices and the flights into Newark seem to be fairly reasonable, is that too far out of the city or would it be a better move to fly into JFK?

How easy is it to get around? Is the public transit system reliable? What about cabs, I'm assuming they're pretty pricey?

I'm not exactly sure when I'd be coming so I don't know what season I'll be there for. If I went to a Yankees game would I need advance tickets or could I get them on game day? Same question regarding the Knicks, Rangers etc. What about the Giants or Jets, how far away is the stadium from downtown?

I'm guessing that the hotels downtown would cost an arm and a leg, is there any other place I could stay but is still close enough to downtown that I won't need to travel 2 hours to get there?

What kind of other touristy things do you suggest? Any places I should avoid going? (ie - unsafe for tourists).

I know I asked a lot of questions in here, sorry to take up so much of your time but I appreciate the help! Thanks a lot!
I'm not sure where you should fly into, because there both close to NY. Most people in NY walk, we'll at least from my experiances when i've been there. there isnt alot of parking space. for games i would pre-order the tickets just to be safe, and about where not to go, sorry i dont know that. i dont live in NYC, but i've been there when i was little and its alot like tokyo, where i went about a month ago. hope i could help.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 06:25 PM
  #35
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Forget the Touristy B.S.
I have done too many tours through NYC for family and friends from out of state, and if I were to show someone where I would want to go, I would say do some museums in the afternoon, Then Go to the Village and have some Fun.
Times Square, Rock, 5th ave, central park.......Argh!!!!!!! well the Park is cool!
Always took the Path in from Hoboken. Also a nice night-spot for young professionals
Agreed. Alot of the touristy stuff is extremely overrated in my opinion. Spend a few hours at MoMA, the Met, the Museum for the City of New York (they have a great exhibit on New York baseball from 1947-1957 currently running there) and then just spend your night down in the village.

Although one thing that could be considered touristy to some is the Staten Island Ferry, which I took for the first time in almost 20 years last saturday and it was a very enjoyable ride.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 08:14 AM
  #36
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Agreed. Alot of the touristy stuff is extremely overrated in my opinion. Spend a few hours at MoMA, the Met, the Museum for the City of New York (they have a great exhibit on New York baseball from 1947-1957 currently running there) and then just spend your night down in the village.

Although one thing that could be considered touristy to some is the Staten Island Ferry, which I took for the first time in almost 20 years last saturday and it was a very enjoyable ride.
Yeah the ferry's a fun one. It's free and you get a really cool view. I believe you can bring beer on too.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 08:45 AM
  #37
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****
 
JRZ DVLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
Country: United States
Posts: 4,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Yeah the ferry's a fun one. It's free and you get a really cool view. I believe you can bring beer on too.
When i had to take my Father In law around the city, I took the circle line ferry tour that went around the whole island. He couldn't do th e crowds or walking since he has a tank. But it was actually pretty cool. It went under 7 bridges, and gave a nice historical tour. It was like $30. Probably the best tourist thing i have done.

JRZ DVLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 04:34 PM
  #38
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
When i had to take my Father In law around the city, I took the circle line ferry tour that went around the whole island. He couldn't do th e crowds or walking since he has a tank. But it was actually pretty cool. It went under 7 bridges, and gave a nice historical tour. It was like $30. Probably the best tourist thing i have done.
The Circle line tour is a great ride--whether or not you are a tourist. And people shouldn't get hung up on whether to "avoid" doing things tourists do--there are plenty of things worth seeing---try the tour of Rockafeller Center--there are great views of Central Park and the Empire State building as well as the rest of Manhattan and the complex is amazing. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and then go into either Brooklyn Heights (the neighborhood just south of the Bridge or DUMBO (the area between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge where lots of artists have studios).

The most important thing to remember is that New York City is too big to see all at once. Heck, I'm from here and am still discovering all the fun places there are to see.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 09:32 PM
  #39
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The most important thing to remember is that New York City is too big to see all at once. Heck, I'm from here and am still discovering all the fun places there are to see.
This is very true...I still haven't seen everything. Thank god I got to experience the observation deck atop the WTC before they came down. I know people to this day who never been up there and it was cool as *****.

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 10:50 PM
  #40
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
This is very true...I still haven't seen everything. Thank god I got to experience the observation deck atop the WTC before they came down. I know people to this day who never been up there and it was cool as *****.

-B
Yes it was indeed--on a clear day you could see well into Connecticut. And the only time I went was because someone from out town insisted we go.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 05:26 PM
  #41
Jovofan
Registered User
 
Jovofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
Speaking of the WTC, what is it like visiting ground zero? I mean, I don't want to sound morbid but when I go I would like to at least go there one time during my stay.

Thanks for the ferry info, that sounds incredible!

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 06:13 PM
  #42
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Speaking of the WTC, what is it like visiting ground zero? I mean, I don't want to sound morbid but when I go I would like to at least go there one time during my stay.

Thanks for the ferry info, that sounds incredible!
Honestly, it's a big hole in the ground. It's what you bring to the site.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 10:57 PM
  #43
BJo
Registered User
 
BJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Speaking of the WTC, what is it like visiting ground zero? I mean, I don't want to sound morbid but when I go I would like to at least go there one time during my stay.

Thanks for the ferry info, that sounds incredible!
It's not very exciting. You can't really see much other than construction vehicles and dirt. They have some photos up but there isn't much to see. Plan on 15 minutes there at most. Really nothing special but probably worth the trip downtown just because.

If you were wondering how to get there you can take the E train to World Trade Center stop. It's the last stop. You can also take the 2/3 down to Park Place which is also very close.

Have a safe trip.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 03:08 AM
  #44
Mellington
Registered User
 
Mellington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Lost World
Country: United States
Posts: 3,793
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Glad i saw this thread I Am comming to town august 31st for the Yanks game on Sept 1st already have my ticket .. SO Where do you eat cheap .. I dont go for the fancy stuff .

__________________
LETS GO JACKETS !!!!
LETS GO STARS !!!
Mellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 04:14 AM
  #45
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellington View Post
Glad i saw this thread I Am comming to town august 31st for the Yanks game on Sept 1st already have my ticket .. SO Where do you eat cheap .. I dont go for the fancy stuff .
Where are you staying?

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 05:18 AM
  #46
bones21212
Registered User
 
bones21212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the underground
Country: United States
Posts: 1,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
I doubt you wanna stay in the Bronx. Not so pleasant over there lol.

-B
hey pal....thats where i grew up!!! purdy street and tremont ave.

bones21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 11:50 AM
  #47
Mellington
Registered User
 
Mellington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Lost World
Country: United States
Posts: 3,793
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Where are you staying?
I am stayin at the Tudor Hotel at the UN ...

Mellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 12:21 PM
  #48
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellington View Post
Glad i saw this thread I Am comming to town august 31st for the Yanks game on Sept 1st already have my ticket .. SO Where do you eat cheap .. I dont go for the fancy stuff .
Two Boots in Grand Central Station is pretty cheap. And if you really want to save cash, keep your eye out for Gray's Papaya/Papaya King/Papaya Dog/any of those places..you can get 2 very good hot dogs and fries for like 4 bucks.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 02:29 PM
  #49
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellington View Post
I am stayin at the Tudor Hotel at the UN ...
Hmm not so much cheap around there but there's always pizza. And if you like hot dogs Greys Papaya for sure. There are Greys on 36th (might be 37th) and 8th, 8th st and 6th ave and 72nd and broadway.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 02:31 PM
  #50
Mellington
Registered User
 
Mellington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Lost World
Country: United States
Posts: 3,793
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Hmm not so much cheap around there but there's always pizza. And if you like hot dogs Greys Papaya for sure. There are Greys on 36th (might be 37th) and 8th, 8th st and 6th ave and 72nd and broadway.
thats kewl i am not afraid to go a distance from the hotel lol

Mellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.