HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Planning a trip to NYC

Old
08-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
I live near King of Prussia in Pennsylvania. I like to drive to NJ and take the train up. Usually Trenton train station. NJ Transit train tickets are fairly cheap. Takes about 1:15 minutes to get to NY City and you exit right in Penn Station. If I were to go to a Rangers game, I would always do that. Much nicer than dealing with all the traffic and expensive parking.
Trenton is a bit further out tho no?? I would imagine they could get a little closer and then take the train in. From Newark I believe its only 20-30 minutes to Penn Station, could be less. The only thing is, finding parking in Newark might be a b****

NYR89...How bout not driving at all and just taking Amtrak?? That's how I usually commute back and forth to Lancaster, PA to visit Family in York and back. Takes you right to Penn Station, no worries with traffic and its about a 3-3 and a half hour train ride. I don't think Hershey is that far off no?

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:01 PM
NYR89

yea the amtrak station is about 20 minutes or so from us...that was our other option...it's 69$ one way i believe into penn station...i think we're gonna try driving into NJ and taking the train over..

thanks for all the help!
LETS GO RANGERS!!

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Old thread, but tons of NYC info and ideas here: ---> http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=269418

Revive at will.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Jovofan

Thanks a bunch you guys, you've been so insanely helpful and I really appreciate it! By the oddest of coincidences, I actually met a girl at a wedding last night who's from NYC and we really hit it off, got her email before I left. Now I may actually have another reason to travel to NYC besides the fact that I've always wanted to go.

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Thanks a bunch you guys, you've been so insanely helpful and I really appreciate it! By the oddest of coincidences, I actually met a girl at a wedding last night who's from NYC and we really hit it off, got her email before I left. Now I may actually have another reason to travel to NYC besides the fact that I've always wanted to go.
did you smash

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Jovofan

LOL! No, I didn't.

Old
08-08-2007, 02:17 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Forget the Touristy B.S.
I have done too many tours through NYC for family and friends from out of state, and if I were to show someone where I would want to go, I would say do some museums in the afternoon, Then Go to the Village and have some Fun.
Times Square, Rock, 5th ave, central park.......Argh!!!!!!! well the Park is cool!
Always took the Path in from Hoboken. Also a nice night-spot for young professionals

JRZ DVLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Forget the Touristy B.S.
I have done too many tours through NYC for family and friends from out of state, and if I were to show someone where I would want to go, I would say do some museums in the afternoon, Then Go to the Village and have some Fun.
Times Square, Rock, 5th ave, central park.......Argh!!!!!!! well the Park is cool!
Always took the Path in from Hoboken. Also a nice night-spot for young professionals
Agreed. You don't wanna do much of that touristy **** at all. The Park is great, and 5th ave only if you wanna blow a lot of $$$ on high end merchandise. Museums great too. Forget Times Square unless you wanna feel like you're in ancient Babylon or a modern day Roman empire.

Old
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Hey guys. I may be coming to NYC sometime in '08 and thought I would ask a few questions hoping that you can help me out with my plans and such. I know pretty much nothing about New York, not sure the layout of the city etc. I've been checking airline prices and the flights into Newark seem to be fairly reasonable, is that too far out of the city or would it be a better move to fly into JFK?

How easy is it to get around? Is the public transit system reliable? What about cabs, I'm assuming they're pretty pricey?

I'm not exactly sure when I'd be coming so I don't know what season I'll be there for. If I went to a Yankees game would I need advance tickets or could I get them on game day? Same question regarding the Knicks, Rangers etc. What about the Giants or Jets, how far away is the stadium from downtown?

I'm guessing that the hotels downtown would cost an arm and a leg, is there any other place I could stay but is still close enough to downtown that I won't need to travel 2 hours to get there?

What kind of other touristy things do you suggest? Any places I should avoid going? (ie - unsafe for tourists).

I know I asked a lot of questions in here, sorry to take up so much of your time but I appreciate the help! Thanks a lot!
I'm not sure where you should fly into, because there both close to NY. Most people in NY walk, we'll at least from my experiances when i've been there. there isnt alot of parking space. for games i would pre-order the tickets just to be safe, and about where not to go, sorry i dont know that. i dont live in NYC, but i've been there when i was little and its alot like tokyo, where i went about a month ago. hope i could help.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 06:25 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Forget the Touristy B.S.
Agreed. Alot of the touristy stuff is extremely overrated in my opinion. Spend a few hours at MoMA, the Met, the Museum for the City of New York (they have a great exhibit on New York baseball from 1947-1957 currently running there) and then just spend your night down in the village.

Although one thing that could be considered touristy to some is the Staten Island Ferry, which I took for the first time in almost 20 years last saturday and it was a very enjoyable ride.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Agreed. Alot of the touristy stuff is extremely overrated in my opinion. Spend a few hours at MoMA, the Met, the Museum for the City of New York (they have a great exhibit on New York baseball from 1947-1957 currently running there) and then just spend your night down in the village.

Although one thing that could be considered touristy to some is the Staten Island Ferry, which I took for the first time in almost 20 years last saturday and it was a very enjoyable ride.
Yeah the ferry's a fun one. It's free and you get a really cool view. I believe you can bring beer on too.

Old
08-09-2007, 08:45 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Yeah the ferry's a fun one. It's free and you get a really cool view. I believe you can bring beer on too.
When i had to take my Father In law around the city, I took the circle line ferry tour that went around the whole island. He couldn't do th e crowds or walking since he has a tank. But it was actually pretty cool. It went under 7 bridges, and gave a nice historical tour. It was like $30. Probably the best tourist thing i have done.

JRZ DVLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
When i had to take my Father In law around the city, I took the circle line ferry tour that went around the whole island. He couldn't do th e crowds or walking since he has a tank. But it was actually pretty cool. It went under 7 bridges, and gave a nice historical tour. It was like $30. Probably the best tourist thing i have done.
The Circle line tour is a great ride--whether or not you are a tourist. And people shouldn't get hung up on whether to "avoid" doing things tourists do--there are plenty of things worth seeing---try the tour of Rockafeller Center--there are great views of Central Park and the Empire State building as well as the rest of Manhattan and the complex is amazing. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and then go into either Brooklyn Heights (the neighborhood just south of the Bridge or DUMBO (the area between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge where lots of artists have studios).

The most important thing to remember is that New York City is too big to see all at once. Heck, I'm from here and am still discovering all the fun places there are to see.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The most important thing to remember is that New York City is too big to see all at once. Heck, I'm from here and am still discovering all the fun places there are to see.
This is very true...I still haven't seen everything. Thank god I got to experience the observation deck atop the WTC before they came down. I know people to this day who never been up there and it was cool as *****.

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
This is very true...I still haven't seen everything. Thank god I got to experience the observation deck atop the WTC before they came down. I know people to this day who never been up there and it was cool as *****.

-B
Yes it was indeed--on a clear day you could see well into Connecticut. And the only time I went was because someone from out town insisted we go.

Old
08-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Jovofan

Speaking of the WTC, what is it like visiting ground zero? I mean, I don't want to sound morbid but when I go I would like to at least go there one time during my stay.

Thanks for the ferry info, that sounds incredible!

Old
08-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Speaking of the WTC, what is it like visiting ground zero? I mean, I don't want to sound morbid but when I go I would like to at least go there one time during my stay.

Honestly, it's a big hole in the ground. It's what you bring to the site.

Old
08-11-2007, 10:57 PM
BJo

Quote:

It's not very exciting. You can't really see much other than construction vehicles and dirt. They have some photos up but there isn't much to see. Plan on 15 minutes there at most. Really nothing special but probably worth the trip downtown just because.

If you were wondering how to get there you can take the E train to World Trade Center stop. It's the last stop. You can also take the 2/3 down to Park Place which is also very close.

Have a safe trip.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 03:08 AM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Glad i saw this thread I Am comming to town august 31st for the Yanks game on Sept 1st already have my ticket .. SO Where do you eat cheap .. I dont go for the fancy stuff .

Old
08-12-2007, 04:14 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellington View Post
Glad i saw this thread I Am comming to town august 31st for the Yanks game on Sept 1st already have my ticket .. SO Where do you eat cheap .. I dont go for the fancy stuff .
Where are you staying?

Old
08-12-2007, 05:18 AM
bones21212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
I doubt you wanna stay in the Bronx. Not so pleasant over there lol.

-B
hey pal....thats where i grew up!!! purdy street and tremont ave.

bones21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Mellington

Quote:
Where are you staying?
I am stayin at the Tudor Hotel at the UN ...

Mellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 12:21 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Two Boots in Grand Central Station is pretty cheap. And if you really want to save cash, keep your eye out for Gray's Papaya/Papaya King/Papaya Dog/any of those places..you can get 2 very good hot dogs and fries for like 4 bucks.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Choice

Quote:
I am stayin at the Tudor Hotel at the UN ...
Hmm not so much cheap around there but there's always pizza. And if you like hot dogs Greys Papaya for sure. There are Greys on 36th (might be 37th) and 8th, 8th st and 6th ave and 72nd and broadway.

Old
08-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Mellington

Quote:
Hmm not so much cheap around there but there's always pizza. And if you like hot dogs Greys Papaya for sure. There are Greys on 36th (might be 37th) and 8th, 8th st and 6th ave and 72nd and broadway.
thats kewl i am not afraid to go a distance from the hotel lol

Mellington is offline   Reply With Quote