HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Oilers Fan Looking For Un-Biased Opinions On Penner...

Old
08-08-2007, 05:47 PM
brownhornet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
He has the potential to be like Bertuzzi was in his prime, and I'd like to see him get there, but like everyone else has said, aside from a few flashes of domination he is like a teddy bear out there a lot of the time.
I'd actually hope he would be something like Holmstrom. He has the size, my question is can he do the things that Holmstrom does in front of the net? I think that our PP will be firing from the point. Having someone who can create traffic and knock more than a few in would be great. Kind of like Smyth but someone we actually spent to sign Ducks fans, do you think Penner has that potential?

brownhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 05:50 PM
caliamad

we tried using him there but with mixed success, i don't think he liked taking that pounding in front of the net. What makes Smyth and Holmstrom so good is their willingness to take that punishment and their ability to avoid goalie interference calls. Penner had a lot of those as well.

His game is more behind the net and all the walls. Despite his size the key to his game isn't in front of the net.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
As always, your comments are greatly appreciated, as are the rest of the replies that have come out of this thread. Out of curiousity, has he ever played RW for you guys??? On hockeyDB, he's listed as a RW. A line of Torres-Stoll-Penner would be a potential dandy, especially if Penner could be a bit of a play-maker. We are 1-2 top 6forwards away from having a decent forward line-up right now. My hope is that 1 of Nilsson, Pouliot, Schremp, or O'Marra can step it up and show that they are ready for that role. IMO Nilsson is the closest of the bunch. He can play either wing and is more of a speedy playmaker than a sniper. My hope as an Oilers fan is that we can have a top 10, PP with the likes of Hemsky, Penner, and Souray leading the way. We will likley be an average or below average ES team, so we'll need our special teams to make up the slack.
If you watch most of his goals not alot are really hi lite reel, although he did have some beauties that showed off his hands right in front of the net. Honestly I would expect maybe about mid 20's in goals next year, but a hefty bump in assists if he's with a sniper type. That's why trading Lupul was bad if Lowe wanted Penner because those two had instant chemistry with each other.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 01:27 AM
Eskie Jetski

A big reason why Lupul was traded was that it was believed he couldn't handle the additional expectations of being a hometown product in addition to the scrutiny put on our players in our "hockey-town" atmosphere.

A recent interview from Penner quoted him as saying that pressure from the fans won't be as great as the pressure he would put on himself to perform. Did any of you get that type of impression when you watched him play (the motivation to succeed)?

BTW, I commend you guys for having objective opinions unlike the majority of Flyers fans regarding Joni Pitkanen whose opinions went from "franchise D-man" to "turnover machine" in a 2-minute span just because we wouldn't give them Hemsky. Mind you, Philly fans would also boo the loser of a wheelchair race, so what do you expect from them?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=396906

Eskie Jetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Hemsky View Post
A big reason why Lupul was traded was that it was believed he couldn't handle the additional expectations of being a hometown product in addition to the scrutiny put on our players in our "hockey-town" atmosphere.

A recent interview from Penner quoted him as saying that pressure from the fans won't be as great as the pressure he would put on himself to perform. Did any of you get that type of impression when you watched him play (the motivation to succeed)?

BTW, I commend you guys for having objective opinions unlike the majority of Flyers fans regarding Joni Pitkanen whose opinions went from "franchise D-man" to "turnover machine" in a 2-minute span just because we wouldn't give them Hemsky. Mind you, Philly fans would also boo the loser of a wheelchair race, so what do you expect from them?

This is a tough one with Penner. He was so inconsistant throughout the year with the amount of effort he would bring. Shifts of dominance were followed by invisible shifts. Carlyle benched him on a few occasions because of this.

As for his comments it's just hard to tell. The guy had no pressure in Anaheim. No one knew who he was. He could essentially live a normal life outside of hockey. I saw him, Getlaf and Perry at the bars in Newport on a few occasions and no one was the wiser. Did that help him? Just impossible to tell.

Maybe being in Edmonton will keep him focused on hockey more because he won't be able to escape it there. Maybe he will hate it. It is just so hard to tell without knowing the guy personally. At least he is saying all the right things.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Kick Save

I, for one, will miss Penner. I read the entire thread rather quickly, so I apologize if what I'm about to say has been said elsewhere: people have a tendency to forget how Penner came out of nowhere. He wasn't good enough to play top level midget, bantam or junior hockey. He was ackward and small.

Instead of being drafted and polishing his skills with a top-flight junior club, Penner packed his bags and went to play for some third-tier j.c. in North Dakota. (Or was it Minnesota?) It was only when he was seen by one of the coaches from the University of Maine that he emerged from obscurity and began to blossom.

After one year at Maine, he was signed by the Ducks. He played a couple of years of AHL hockey. That's all.

What I'm trying to say is that this guy improved more than virtually anyone his age between the ages of 19 and 23. Does he have some negatives to his game? Maybe. But his upside potential is huge.

It's only my opinion but I think Burke didn't sign him because (1) the $4.25 mil per year would've hamstrung Burke when dealing with Getzlaf and Perry next year and (2) Burke does not like to be undermined in any fashion. Last year, Vishnevski won the battle, but lost the war when he won a relatively minor raise (to about $1.55 mil) in arbitration. Burke did'nt care what the arbitrator thought; in his opinion, it was too much. Vish was sent packing to Atlanta shortly thereafter. (The fact that he's moved once or twice since then makes me think Burke may have been right.)

I'm not sure who will come out on top of this one. But, if Penner does disappoint you a bit at times, remember: he's still learning the game. He's a good player now and he has tons of potential.

Kick Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 04:08 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Hemsky View Post

If things would have started going well for Joffrey he probably could've handled the expectations on him. I'm not sure how Penner will react, but if he takes nights off he will definitely hear about it in Edmonton which may be good for him.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote