HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers should 150% target Marian Hossa in 08

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2007, 08:40 AM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
some people are jsut too old school for their own good. transcendent players win cups, when jagr goes, we have no transcendent players (outside of our goalie).

I'm done arguing, Slats is a smart guy and I'm 100% sure he's gonna go out and grab a stud when Jagr retires (possibly before).

remember, we've never had a top 3 talent on our club before, ever. we have one now, and its time to go for it. cups last forever.......playof runs that end in the 2nd or 3rd round don't.

Old
08-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's not just a farm system. It's continuity within the entire organization. When people have mentioned the potential cap implication that signing Hossa might cause, the response has been, "oh well, so just trade some guys for draft picks." That a horrible way to run an organization and a horrible precident to be setting when it comes to young players who have come up through the ranks. Why can't the Rangers have their own guys play? Why must this team sign a big name FA every summer? As I recall, that hasn't worked well in the past.

I'm done with this thread. I'm going to look forward to this season rather than look ahead to next summer.

That always seems to be besides the point, doesn't it? Some seem more interested in collecting players rather than championships.

Old
08-10-2007, 09:30 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
some people are jsut too old school for their own good. transcendent players win cups, when jagr goes, we have no transcendent players (outside of our goalie).

I'm done arguing, Slats is a smart guy and I'm 100% sure he's gonna go out and grab a stud when Jagr retires (possibly before).

remember, we've never had a top 3 talent on our club before, ever. we have one now, and its time to go for it. cups last forever.......playof runs that end in the 2nd or 3rd round don't.
YES!!!! Go get Hossa... he'll win us a cup! Simple as that.

Old
08-10-2007, 09:37 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
you realize Neil Smith did trade beezer for doug lidster right?

you realize with the impending expanison draft Beezer had very little value right?

you realize the Lundqvist Montoya debate (which is non-existant considering one guy is an AHL all star and one guy is a two time vezina finalist) is much different then richter/beezer right?

Hossa isn't happening...it's probably one of the worst ideas on this board in a long time...you have yet to make a good point yet you continue to reach for them..

i'm done...if you need to learn the history of this team or how things work with the salary cap pm somebody....marion hossa is not NEEDED next summer.....the team has made there bed with free agency for the near future...now any money spent should be on resigning the RFA's and impending free agents longterm and bringing in depth to support the regulars that are here...your future contracts for players is based on your opinion...your opinon has marion hossa has a legit option...what does that say to everybody about your opinion..it says it doesnt' mean anything and your clueless on how teams in the NHL operate in a salary cap world..ea sports is in the game...it's not reality...

i'm done with this..
funny how your trying to explain to people how the salary cap works. on the 3rd line center thread you were willing to pay a 3rd line center money that drury is making this season. you should be all over this deal, money should have nothing to do with it in your case.

Old
08-10-2007, 09:39 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
YES!!!! Go get Hossa... he'll win us a cup! Simple as that.
he hasn't won a cup anywhere else and sucked last year in the playoffs. if jagr doesn't win us a cup hossa doesn't have a chance.

Old
08-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
funny how your trying to explain to people how the salary cap works. on the 3rd line center thread you were willing to pay a 3rd line center money that drury is making this season. you should be all over this deal, money should have nothing to do with it in your case.
funny that you don't understand what i was talking about...

my point was guys fit better in diffrent spots in the lineup dispite what they are getting paid..

what you'll never understand is that drury would still get big minutes matched up againts the other teams top lines...

also look at my posts in this thread genius..."if this was hossa vs Drury or Hossa vs Gomez?"

good try though

Old
08-10-2007, 10:09 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I cant believe someone is challenging you SOS, pretty dumb too.

I still do not understand why Hossa is still being discussed, drop it already. A move like that is what had the Rangers in trouble those 7 years of misery. No one player wins a cup and above all again I will state that Marian Hossa has been a choke in the playoffs and a consistent one at that. He didnt step up in Ottawa and he was M.I.A. in the playoffs this year against us. Seriously, you saw the guy firsthand, you saw him not produce yet again in the playoffs because what you didnt see was him, he was invisible on that ice. STAY AWAY FROM MARIAN HOSSA

I can understand if you want to think about replacing Jagr, but let it be the right guy and Hossa is not that guy. And to be honest I dont think you will need to replace Jagr with someone outside of this organization, with cherepanov in the system now.

Old
08-10-2007, 10:47 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
funny that you don't understand what i was talking about...

my point was guys fit better in diffrent spots in the lineup dispite what they are getting paid..

what you'll never understand is that drury would still get big minutes matched up againts the other teams top lines...

also look at my posts in this thread genius..."if this was hossa vs Drury or Hossa vs Gomez?"

good try though
your quote i believe was "salary cap, blah, blah blah." now why is it a big deal when getting hossa? your contradicting yourself no matter what point your making. i don't think you understand what your talking about anymore. i don't have to look at your posts in this thread to realize you don't understand whats going on. all i have to do is look at your line combinations. don't try and break down another guys opinion and act like you know what your talking about. your not fooling anyone.

Old
08-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

What you wrote is either a lie or you just didn't read what I said.

I gave 10 possible options of what may happen if Hossa is signed (cap rises, Jagr retires, prospects suck or get injured, one of the star vets retires early, etc).

Of the 10 options, trading away youth is THE LEAST LIKELY ONE. I love how I make a point and you read the opposite. Just as "What's the maximum that this player will get paid?" is read as "This player will give us a discount". HUH?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's not just a farm system. It's continuity within the entire organization. It's about developing our own young players and getting them to the big club not dumping them for people with a star player addiction. When people have mentioned the potential cap implication that signing Hossa might cause, the response has been, "oh well, so just trade some guys for draft picks." That a horrible way to run an organization and a horrible precident to be setting when it comes to young players who have come up through the ranks. Why can't the Rangers have their own guys play? Why must this team sign a big name FA every summer? As I recall, that hasn't worked well in the past.

I'm done with this thread. I'd rather look forward to this season rather than look ahead to next summer.

Old
08-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
your quote i believe was "salary cap, blah, blah blah." now why is it a big deal when getting hossa? your contradicting yourself no matter what point your making. i don't think you understand what your talking about anymore. i don't have to look at your posts in this thread to realize you don't understand whats going on. all i have to do is look at your line combinations. don't try and break down another guys opinion and act like you know what your talking about. your not fooling anyone.
Dude i dont' care what you think of me...

my line combos were my opinion on how to balance out the lines..YOU can't understand that the Rangers role 3 lines and Drury, Shanny, and Avery would all get more ice time then Prucha and Callahan because of special teams....shocking..

saying salary cap "blah blah blah" was in response to you having a problem with Drury on the 3rd line...I don't think the salary cap matters when putting together line combos...it does matter when putting together the team...do you understand thd difference? the answer is clearly no...

I never said i was a salary cap expert but i know what makes sense for the team and what doesn't...Hossa doesnt' make sense when you factor in the guys the Rangers are going to resign the next 5 years...

you disagree that's fine but taking my posts out of context isn't exactly fair...

ut-oh you don't think i understand what's going on...how will i sleep at night!!!

i'm done with this and you.....you clearly have no grasp on logic or how a TEAM works...

cheers

Old
08-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I cant believe someone is challenging you SOS, pretty dumb too.

I still do not understand why Hossa is still being discussed, drop it already. A move like that is what had the Rangers in trouble those 7 years of misery. No one player wins a cup and above all again I will state that Marian Hossa has been a choke in the playoffs and a consistent one at that. He didnt step up in Ottawa and he was M.I.A. in the playoffs this year against us. Seriously, you saw the guy firsthand, you saw him not produce yet again in the playoffs because what you didnt see was him, he was invisible on that ice. STAY AWAY FROM MARIAN HOSSA

I can understand if you want to think about replacing Jagr, but let it be the right guy and Hossa is not that guy. And to be honest I dont think you will need to replace Jagr with someone outside of this organization, with cherepanov in the system now.
I have no problem with people disagreeing but this guy is a joke and adds zip to the boards...he has a problem with my line combos..which is fine but to keep it up and harp on it in ANOTHER thread?

Old
08-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

"Why must this team sign a big name FA every summer? As I recall, that hasn't worked well in the past."

Two points.

1. You are again putting words in my mouth. I didn't say every summer. I said that the Rangers will lose two key wingers in Straka and Shanny next summer. There's no way, no way in hell, that two rookies will step in on the first and second line and perform up to par.

And after that, we'll need a star to build the team around. Someone like Hossa would be a good option. Doesn't mean signing someone every year.

2. It didn't work out because when you sign a second liner like Valerie Kamensky AND his already in 30s, then obviously your team will not be good.

If you sign a superstar and he's still in his 20s, that's a whole different ball game.

Old
08-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Pre-cap, we had UFAs only after 32. Many of the UFAs were closer to 40 than 30. Salaries were kept down by not letting players in their prime hit free agency. Now the cap is there to keep salaries down.

Under the old system, if you got a free agent, he was old, injured or both. And usually not that good.

How many free agents did the Rangers acquire still in their prime? Messier was the only one, being 30 at the time. (The other one is Beukeboom, and though he wasn't a star, he was a very valuable player.)

That 30-year-old Messier player worked out pretty well, now didn't he? At time time, everyone was whining about giving up Bernie Nicholls and 3 blue-chippers (who all became 4th liners) for Messier+.

You can't compare getting a 35 year old second liner with a superstar in his prime.

Yes, Hossa today is not what Messier became after 1994. But in 1991, Mess was also seen as the old guy we "bought" who will not help (old at 30?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post

Old
08-10-2007, 11:21 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Dude i dont' care what you think of me...

my line combos were my opinion on how to balance out the lines..YOU can't understand that the Rangers role 3 lines and Drury, Shanny, and Avery would all get more ice time then Prucha and Callahan because of special teams....shocking..

saying salary cap "blah blah blah" was in response to you having a problem with Drury on the 3rd line...I don't think the salary cap matters when putting together line combos...it does matter when putting together the team...do you understand thd difference? the answer is clearly no...

I never said i was a salary cap expert but i know what makes sense for the team and what doesn't...Hossa doesnt' make sense when you factor in the guys the Rangers are going to resign the next 5 years...

you disagree that's fine but taking my posts out of context isn't exactly fair...

ut-oh you don't think i understand what's going on...how will i sleep at night!!!

i'm done with this and you.....you clearly have no grasp on logic or how a TEAM works...

cheers

oh trust me i know how a team works perhaps better than you. i'm not taking your posts out of context at all. they suck and they are wrong. while you disagree with other peoples opinion and contradict yourself i will respond, not only on this thread but on others that interest me. as far as your other post above this one, after the job i've just done with you to say i add nothing to the boards is well... ridiculous. i'd like to think after talking to you i would at least add a little bit of sanity and logic. so get comfortable and sleep good in your bed of suck.

Old
08-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
oh trust me i know how a team works perhaps better than you. i'm not taking your posts out of context at all. they suck and they are wrong. while you disagree with other peoples opinion and contradict yourself i will respond, not only on this thread but on others that interest me. as far as your other post above this one, after the job i've just done with you to say i add nothing to the boards is well... ridiculous. i'd like to think after talking to you i would at least add a little bit of sanity and logic. so get comfortable and sleep good in your bed of suck.

you add nothing to the boards...ask around...

the job you did with me?

thanks for the good laugh...please keep it coming...

Old
08-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
"Why must this team sign a big name FA every summer? As I recall, that hasn't worked well in the past."

Two points.

1. You are again putting words in my mouth. I didn't say every summer. I said that the Rangers will lose two key wingers in Straka and Shanny next summer. There's no way, no way in hell, that two rookies will step in on the first and second line and perform up to par.

And after that, we'll need a star to build the team around. Someone like Hossa would be a good option. Doesn't mean signing someone every year.

2. It didn't work out because when you sign a second liner like Valerie Kamensky AND his already in 30s, then obviously your team will not be good.

If you sign a superstar and he's still in his 20s, that's a whole different ball game.
If I may...I think SBOB's 'we don't have to sign...' comment was not directed at you, but rather a generalized remark based on the theme of these threads over the last several weeks. Signing Gomez/Drury seems to have had the blood-in-the-water effect on a lot of posters here. Suddenly, the Rangers can't solve any of their problems without the aid of a bonafide star.

Old
08-10-2007, 11:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
This thread has become nothing but posters attacking other posters. Closed.